• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Character Palette Swap Thread (WINNER ANNOUNCED/NEW TOPIC!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Would it be cool we used Sprites for the Palette swaps? It'd be a bit easier for me than dealing with Gimp.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
oh. never mind then, sorry. I get excited :)
APC, next time would you please put all of the color swaps into one image? That makes copying and pasting much, much, much easier

Would it be cool we used Sprites for the Palette swaps? It'd be a bit easier for me than dealing with Gimp.
It depends on the sprites used.
However, for the contest, I recommend not using sprites but either actual artwork or 3D models since image quality and presentation is extremely important. You can submit the image though if you would like to try it out. I want to try and keep the submissions much akin to the usual Smash Bros. palette swaps as I can.

However, feel free to the submit a sprite recolor outside of the contest. Those would be most welcome!

UPDATE: I apologize for the delay. I am fine-tuning the contest and writing out the guidelines. I hope to launch it this weekend or early next week. I have updated and added the color swaps on the front page and fixed the glitches.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Sounds like fun! Count me in when I get something done.

Also, in an unrelated note...
500 Posts! Wow!
I've been here for four years and I only just reached 1/4 of what SaturnGamer has done in less than three months.

Go me.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
APC, next time would you please put all of the color swaps into one image? That makes copying and pasting much, much, much easier.

Sure, sorry about it. Just copied and pasted my palettes from the Toad thread, where I made them individually and updated it over time. I'll try to do that.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
question would you prefer us not to upload palette swaps there arent part of the competition during competition time?

also i think there a couple palette swaps on the previous page you missed when updating the op

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Oh ok! I'll get those up. And yes! Non-contest palate swaps can be posted.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
APC, next time would you please put all of the color swaps into one image? That makes copying and pasting much, much, much easier

It depends on the sprites used.
However, for the contest, I recommend not using sprites but either actual artwork or 3D models since image quality and presentation is extremely important. You can submit the image though if you would like to try it out. I want to try and keep the submissions much akin to the usual Smash Bros. palette swaps as I can.

However, feel free to the submit a sprite recolor outside of the contest. Those would be most welcome!

UPDATE: I apologize for the delay. I am fine-tuning the contest and writing out the guidelines. I hope to launch it this weekend or early next week. I have updated and added the color swaps on the front page and fixed the glitches.

Ok I'll Keep that in mind. Though I suppose I can try to use Gimp again, and see how it works better than the last time I tried using the program.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I will be posting a guide in the near future on how to use GIMP with recolors.

It is a bit earlier than I said but, as of right now, the .......

Color Palette Swap Contest is officially open!!!!!

The contest is designed to bring out both creativity and ingenuity for participants, showcase artistic abilities, and to expand/enrich the palette swapping community.

So how does it all go down?

First, each month I will give a new topic/prompt. It is your job to follow that prompt and use that month to create a palette swap. What are these topics/prompts? i will get to that in just a second but they are just as they sound - a guideline to create the palette swap with.

Second, after perfecting your palette swap; post it up! Please indicate that it is for the contest and not a general palette swap.

Third, wait! It's that easy! Myself and the two other judges, Opossum and Swampasaur will evaluate the submissions at the end of the month and decide on a winner.

So what are the Rules?

1. One submission per contestant. Submitting more than one submission will result in disqualification. You may edit your current palette swap with a new one though.

2. Follow the monthly topic/prompt. On the first of the month, a new topic/prompt will be announced. These topics/prompts vary in definition. For example, there may be prompts such as:

"Create a six color palette swap of Waluigi." This is a very restrictive topic/prompt and one I would like to avoid.
"Create five color palette swap of a Mega Pokemon" That is a somewhat broad topic/prompt and will appear often.
"Create a five color palette swap of a Fire using character." This is a very broad topic/prompt and can be left for creative interpretation from the participant.

However, I will not be putting topics/prompts such as "Create a seven color palette swap of a Super Mario Bros. metal baby paper character wearing the sports outfit in a go-kart." Those will never ever appear in the contest. Not following the prompt/topic will either result in elimination of points or disqualification.

3. Please host your images either on photobucket.com or imgur.com. Do not submit them via post attachment. Doing so will result in the judges ignoring the submission. In addition, please include your color swaps all in ONE picture or, if too big, two individual pictures. It helps with copying and pasting to the front page.

4. The contest will begin on the first on the month, when the new topic is announced. From the 1st until the end of the month, please submit your artwork. Submitting late will result in a disqualification. Please be on time.

5. Please remove all formatting prior to submission. Again, it helps when I copy and paste your submission to the front page. So now funky colors or fonts. In addition, please indicate that your artwork is a contest submission. Failing to do either will result in A) the judges ignoring it until the formatting is removed or B) counting it as a non-contest art piece.

6. Critiquing is allowed but will be monitored.

7. Descriptions of the color swaps are allowed and encouraged.

8. Judges may not participate.

10. Any paint software is available. However, if you don't want to sell your kidneys or resort to piracy to get Pohotshop, I suggest getting www.gimp.org. I will be posting a guide for GIMP in the next week or so.

9. Have fun! :)

The CRITERIA for JUDGING

The judges will look for five criteria:

1) Quality of Art: Basically, whether if the participants colored inside of the lines, showcases an understanding of color balance, etc.

2) The Topic: Did participants follow the topic to a T? For example, if the topic asked "Make a 5 color palette swap...." but a user made six. That would cause negative points.

3) Images: What kind of image was used. I understand that is is rather hard to find some good quality images. However, points will be taken off if poor quality artwork is used for the palette swap. Of course, the judges will take the character into consideration. Meaning: if the topic asked to make a palette swap of a fairly obscure character with hardly any images on Google and, therefore, the only image available is a crappy artifact-strewn piece of art. Bearing that in mind, I doubt there will be such a topic. I will create a topic where substantial art is readily available on google.

4) Thought/Time: This was a hard one to label. Points will be added to a submission if it shows that a fair amount of time and thought when into the palette swap. This is indicated if the palette swap shows that the participant looked at other forms or characters with their palette swap. For indication, created an Isaac palette swap that includes colors from other characters in the games.

5) Relative to Smash Bros.: When doing palette swaps, please keep how they would look in Smash Bros. in mind. Therefore, please include a red, green, and blue palette swap UNLESS the character is mostly one of the colors (examples include Sonic, Lucario, and Yoshi). Points will be taken off if one of those three are not included. As well, negative/posterized color swaps will also be awarded negative points.

Please keep these criteria in mind when making your palette swap. You have a month so do some research, plan, and take your time with it.

REWARDS
Aside from a pat on the back, bragging rights, your name on the front post, and as well as the good feeling one gets from wining a competition - I am currently trying to get a rewards system in place. I will update this in the near future.

There are 1st, 2nd, and 3rd places as well as honorable mentions (depending on how many people participated).

TAKE IT THE STREETS!!!!
Want prizes, glory, and competition. Then advertise this! Tell all your friends or buddies about this! The more we have participating, the more fun it will get!

THE TOPIC/PROMPT
NOTE: Since we are starting early, the first contest will be slightly longer lasting between August 24th and September 30th.

Make a palette swap using the Super Smash Bros. Brawl colors swaps but on the Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS models. The images can be found on the main site. All characters that appear on that site is game. Bear in mind that picking certain characters will result in smaller amount of palette swaps (for example, Pikachu has around 5 while Samus has 6.). Then, add an additional color swap that is not found in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Meaning, make your own additional specially created color swap from a SSBWIIU/3DS model.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Just for clarification, I suppose Sept. 30th is the deadline for submitting the palette swaps, right? (I'm asking this because I don't have access to a computer at the moment.)

Also, I think it's implied, but just to make sure, only Brawl veterans are allowed, correct?

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
May we make slight alterations to the already existing Brawl color swaps?
For example, could I make Olimar's hair blond in his blue palette to more resemble Louie?

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Like Hippopotasauce said, are we allowed to make miniscule changes? Like, for instance, Luigi's orange palette is based off Mario's Pinball appearance on thr box art. However, his colors are reversed. Can I make the change to make it resemble the box art greater? Same goes for his other palettes.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Just for clarification, I suppose Sept. 30th is the deadline for submitting the palette swaps, right? (I'm asking this because I don't have access to a computer at the moment.)

Also, I think it's implied, but just to make sure, only Brawl veterans are allowed, correct?
Yes, September 30th is the deadline. And only Brawl veterans so the three newcomers don't count.

May we make slight alterations to the already existing Brawl color swaps?
For example, could I make Olimar's hair blond in his blue palette to more resemble Louie?
Hmmmm. Ok, I will allow it but please stick close to the original colors. Altering it too much will result in point dedication. Olimar's hair is ok though.

Like Hippopotasauce said, are we allowed to make miniscule changes? Like, for instance, Luigi's orange palette is based off Mario's Pinball appearance on thr box art. However, his colors are reversed. Can I make the change to make it resemble the box art greater? Same goes for his other palettes.
Well, it depends on how much of a change it is. If its too different from the original, negative points will be given.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I look forward to judging your artwork! :D

Good luck guys!

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Yes, September 30th is the deadline. And only Brawl veterans so the three newcomers don't count.

Hmmmm. Ok, I will allow it but please stick close to the original colors. Altering it too much will result in point dedication. Olimar's hair is ok though.

Well, it depends on how much of a change it is. If its too different from the original, negative points will be given.

Got it, never mind then.

OK, another quick question: Are we only allowed to make 1 custom palette swap for the competition? Because I have plenty of ideas, and otherwise I'll just add them as non-contest and pick my favorite to be in as a competitor.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Why is F-Zero and some other series other Fire Emblem's spoiler?
Because I suck at collapse tags. I'll fix them this weekend.

OK, another quick question: Are we only allowed to make 1 custom palette swap for the competition? Because I have plenty of ideas, and otherwise I'll just add them as non-contest and pick my favorite to be in as a competitor.
One palette swap set. Multiply palette swap sets are not allowed. When I say five color palette swaps, I'm referring to a set of five individual color swaps.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Because I suck at collapse tags. I'll fix them this weekend.

One palette swap set. Multiply palette swap sets are not allowed. When I say five color palette swaps, I'm referring to a set of five individual color swaps.

I meant for a character. For instance, I have plenty ideas for an alternate Luigi palette, and it says I need to have the original 5 from Brawl plus one custom palette swap for Luigi I thought up. Am I personally allowed to post any other ideas for a Luigi palette swap just for the thread, not the competition?

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Yeah, that is allowed. However the additional color swap must be included with the Brawl palette swap on the SSB4 models.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
What can I do to make this more resemble Samus.
Maybe you can change his hair to blonde. I'd also suggest making the gray areas, like the bottom of his shoes and his wristbands into black. The only other thing I can see needing any changes is making his helmet shaded green to match Samus' visor. Kinda like how Olimar's black costume has a black tinted helmet. Other than that stuff, you did a really good job.

Edit: Maybe make the orange a little darker.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Like Swamp said, I, too, look forward to being a judge. Good luck, guys!

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Just a question (I'm not even finished yet) but which of the two on the right is the best? (Not the judges, but my fellow competitors)

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
So here is my entry, hope is good enough:

Here is the original palette swap of Samus in SSBB:

And here is my inspiration for the new color swap:

I hope everything is ok, if I need to change something please let me know.
By the way guys, what do you think of my platte swap?
.n_n.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

.n_n.

Those palettes look really awesome. Nice choice for the extra one too. What program did you use anyway?

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
So people what isthe best for swapping/change colors? I'm having trouble here I'm not an expert at it, also please tell me a FREE program (unless you have the link to a pay one that could be downloaded for free)

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
So people what isthe best for swapping/change colors? I'm having trouble here I'm not an expert at it, also please tell me a FREE program (unless you have the link to a pay one that could be downloaded for free)
www.gimp.org

I will be working on a GIMP guide and will post it up next week.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211

.n_n.

That's really cool-looking. I like the Anthony Higgs one, just don't show it to Diddy Kong :troll:. Back on-topic, I gotta know what program you use, mine never turn out as good as that.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
Those palettes look really awesome. Nice choice for the extra one too. What program did you use anyway?

That's really cool-looking. I like the Anthony Higgs one, just don't show it to Diddy Kong :troll:. Back on-topic, I gotta know what program you use, mine never turn out as good as that.
I use photoshop and thanks for the compliment. Good luck everyone that is participating in this contest.
.n_n.

Edtited;
Is CS3 by the way.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812

Here's a Kammy Koopa alt costume for Kamek. I couldn't get the hat difference quite right so I just pallet swapped. I'm kinda proud of the glasses though. :)

(Oh and PS- Her hair is a white version of Link's hair from SSB4!)

Steelia

Smash Champion
Not really for the contest... Just contributing to the topic :)

Top-left: Ridley (Other M)
Top-middle: Ridley (Metroid artwork) [Red]
Top-right: Neo-Ridley (Metroid Fusion) [Blue]
Bottom-left: Metroid Queen (Metroid) [Green]
Bottom-middle: Ridley (Zero Mission)
Bottom-right: Meta Ridley (Metroid Prime)

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Okay, forgive me for these. They're not amazing.

One thing I always really enjoyed in pallet swaps in Smash Bros was when the different color was another character completely. Like when Peach has her Daisy skin, or Mario has Wario colors or Luigi with Waluigi colors. I think that's awesome. I think that there's a couple ways to continue this, including adding additional props or textures to the characters.

Now, these could be characters that are in the same series, which would make sense:

Ike as Roy

Lucas as Ness

OR, something that I think would be more fun... Why not branch out? Make characters in Smash look like random other characters in Smash? Completely unrelated to their series. I think that could be really fun...

[/collapse

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
...So I guess Peach is fair game for this contest now?

Regardless, I recently discovered (or rather, someone pointed out to me) that you can view the CG art for the characters on the Smashbros site in high resolution by following this type of link:

http://www.smashbros.com/images/og/(character name).jpg.

For example, Peach's high-res image is at http://www.smashbros.com/images/og/peach.jpg

I'm not sure whether or not this was already public knowledge, but I think it may be handy for making nice, clean palette swaps. I'll link to every character's high-res image right here for convenience.

Mario - http://www.smashbros.com/images/og/mario.jpg
Luigi - http://www.smashbros.com/images/og/luigi.jpg
Bowser - http://www.smashbros.com/images/og/koopa.jpg
Peach - http://www.smashbros.com/images/og/peach.jpg
Link - http://www.smashbros.com/images/og/link.jpg
DK - http://www.smashbros.com/images/og/donkey_kong.jpg
Kirby - http://www.smashbros.com/images/og/kirby.jpg
Olimar - http://www.smashbros.com/images/og/pikmin.jpg
Samus - http://www.smashbros.com/images/og/samus.jpg
Mega Man - http://www.smashbros.com/images/og/rockman.jpg
Wii Fit Trainer - http://www.smashbros.com/images/og/wii_fit_trainer.jpg
Villager - http://www.smashbros.com/images/og/murabito.jpg
Fox - http://www.smashbros.com/images/og/fox.jpg
Pikachu - http://www.smashbros.com/images/og/pikachu.jpg
Pit - http://www.smashbros.com/images/og/pit.jpg

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Thank you Kapus!

And yes...Peach is fair game.

Due to the DDoS attack, I will be extending the contest until October 7th. That gives everyone about 3 weeks to finish their artwork and submit it. In addition, if any new veterans are made available between now and then, they are considered open game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom