• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Character Palette Swap Thread (WINNER ANNOUNCED/NEW TOPIC!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I think this thread need to be sticked and I want a gimp guide to how to swap colors (especially involving black and white colors >>> Pit is hard to work)
Forums can't be clogged with too many stickied threads (typically no more than "8", not counting important threads). That's why I have the link to this thread placed in the guidelines thread.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Yeah, there are enough stickied threads as it is. People know or they should know to come here for color swaps for their support thread.

A reminder that the contest ends on the 7th, Monday! Have your recolors done by then!!

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Ya, they're pretty muddy.
I posted it a while ago in the MM Boards and thought I'd put it here as well.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
THE RESULTS ARE IN!!!!

THE WINNER IS......

ZHADGON with the Samus Palette Swap!!!!!!

This was a hard round to judge because of all of the great color swaps! They were amazing and truly captured the feel of Smash Bros. with the new models. The models themselves are beautiful but you guys improved on them and truly made them your own. Everyone did very well, the palette swaps were beyond amazing. and the first round of the contest is now over. Thank you everyone! Feel free to check the judges comments and critiques down below. Finally, at the bottom of this post is the new topic prompt for the next round! Please check it out!!

Here is how the scores came out:
APC99

Zhadgon

Kapus

thekewlusername

falkoopa

[collapse=Swampasaur's Feedback]
APC99
Character: Luigi

Art Quality: 8
Topic: 7
Image Quality: 10
Thought: 9
Relativity: 9
Total: 43/50
You were techincally supposed to only have one more. Regardless, you did a great job. The art is nice, the colors vibrant yet faithful and the new choices are good ones. Ya done good!

Zhadgon
Character: Samus

Art Quality: 10
Topic: 10
Thought:9
Total: 48/50
This is near perfect in my eyes. The new color based on Anthony looks great and fits perfectly! On top of that, the old suits look great as well. I love it.

Kapus
Character: Peach

Thought: 10
Relativity: 10
Total: 48/50
Another near perfect one in my eyes. Only real problem I see is that Daisy's color looks a tad...darker than everything else. I understand the intention but it just looks jarring to me. Still great job!

thekewlusername
Character: Mario

Image Quality: 9
Thought: 9
Total: 46/50
Nice choice on the last color! I'd be surprised if we don't get that in the new smash bros. Anyways, the colors on the bottom row look slightly less polished than the ones on top. It's not major, but it's noticeable.

FalKoopa

Character: Link

Art Quality: 9
Thought: 8
Total: 46 /50
Dark Link's eyes kinda bug me. But other than that, good job. The purple is an interesting choice, not vital, but still a good pick. Also, those sheilds. Good work on them. They must have been hard.[/collapse]

[collapse=Oppossom's Feedback]
APC99
[Collapse=Luigi]
[/Collapse]
Topic: 7
Total: 44/50
Really nice Luigi recolors, in my opinion. The only downside is that you made an extra one. :p I really like the extra Luigi on the right, though. These colors look natural on Luigi. Not out of place in the slightest.

Zhadgon
[Collapse=Samus]
[/Collapse]
Art Quality: 10
Thought:10
Total: 49/50
Now this is what I like to see! Extremely faithful to the source material, and the art itself looks downright official. Plus, hexagons! And the Anthony recolor is awesome, in my opinion.

Kapus
[Collapse=Peach]

[/Collapse]
Art Quality: 7
I think the Daisy one's a bit off, but other six look amazing! :D I love the idea of the new color scheme for the extra Peach. It captures her quite well.

thekewlusername
[Collapse=Mario]

[/Collapse]
Total: 49/50
Probably tied with the Samus set for my favorite of the bunch! This is Mario at his finest right here. These could definitely pass for the official art. Plus, you included Flying Mario as the extra color! And you nailed him, so that's +10 Respect Points, haha. This here is what Mario's all about, ladies and gentlemen!

FalKoopa

[Collapse=Link]

[/Collapse]
Total: 45 /50
I'll echo Swamp here for a second about Dark Link. Something about the eyes is a bit off-putting, but I can't put my finger on it. I will say, though, that the Blue color swap looks amazing, in my opinion. The tunic and shield look really good! The addition of purple makes a lot of sense, I feel. And it works![/collapse]

[collapse=Venus of the Desert Bloom's Feedback]
APC99

Art Quality: 9​
Topic: 6​
Image Quality: 10​
Thought: 8​
Relativity: 9​
Total: 42/50​
Good use of a background though it would have been better to have seen the Smash bros. wii U/3DS blue-white gradient background. APC makes a contrast to previous color swaps and the new fan-created palette swaps. The topic called for only one palette swap though and, even though they are great, the contestant did not follow the prompt closely and lost some points there. Great SSB Wii U/3DS model art. Clear and crisp. The contestant paid close attention to detail and correctly matched the SSBB palette swap themes to the Wii U?3DS model. It is obvious that the researcher knows a bit about Luigi due to the Mr. L and blue and green Luigi - both past costumes. I can see these costumes being used in SBB Wii U/3DS - especially the Mr. L palette swap.​
Zhadgon

Art Quality: 8​
Topic: 10​
Thought: 9​
Total: 46/50​
The art is great in the palette swap as is the quality of the image. However, I feel a background would have boosted the score int he Art Quality department. I do enjoy the arrangement of the swaps tough and feel the composition is very Metroid-esque which saves the score a little. I also noticed the shadows are colored the same color of the palette swap. That deducted you points. The palette swap remains on topic thus is awarded a 10. Thought went into translating the SSBB palette into the SSB Wii U/3DS palette. Samus is particularly hard but the contestant excelled. While I do question the use of Anthony Higgs as a basis, the resulting product is breath-taking; elegant yet deep. However, I feel that a color swap based off one of her power suits would have been more fitting due to her other swaps being just that. In addition, while the dark blue palette would fit in well, I feel that it might collide with the Blue fusion suit that is often used as a blue color scheme. Still, great palette swaps!!​

Kapus

Thought: 10​
Relativity: 8​
Total: 47/50​

This is simply an amazing Peach palette swap. You translated the SSBB palette swaps to the SSB Wii U/3DS model perfectly. In addition, Peach is particularly hard due to her intense pattern work. However, I noticed a few spots on the 7th palette swap - in particular a red spot on her left breast and shoulder. It looks rather out of place. You stayed true to the topic and thus awarded with a 10. The image quality is superb. I can tell a lot of thought went into designing these palette swaps. Especially the fan-created one that is based off the original sprite. Very good work! The only problem with it that I feel it is too closely similar to the white/blue wedding peach palette swap which could interfere with game-play if actually in the game. Still thought, a great palette swap!
thekewlusername

Relativity: 8​
Total: 46/50​
The art quality is great except for the bottom three rows - it looks very jagged and unnatural. Especially in the chin areas. However, the recolors are great and the 6th is really good as well though I do see some darkening problems around the leg and the hat. You stayed on topic thus awarded a 10. The image quality is great too! While Mario is a fairly easy character to translate from SSBB to SSB Wii U/3DS, you were able to do it very well! As well, the red and black Mario is a great option for a swap - harkening to the Flying Mario from the Galaxy games - which is sure to be represented in the next smash game. Much like in the previous critique, I feel that the Flying Mario and Brown-white Mario appears fairly similar and might be difficult to tell apart in the game (granted the red shirt is a dead give away). Regardless, still great palette swaps!​
FalKoopa

Total: 47/50​
First off, I commend your handling of the shields. They are a nasty piece of work to try and recolor but you were able to do so very well! However, I do not know why you didnt decide to recolor your fan-created palette swap. Each palette swap has a recolored shield so it is safe to assume that a new palette swap would as well. Regardless, you recolored the models well - especially the Dark Link. That is also a pain to recolor. However, the eyes look a little bit off and almost Paint-like. I would suggest adding some dark to the corners of the eyes near the ears. They lack definition. You stayed on topic thus awarded with 10 points. I can tell thought went into creating your palette swap. You paid close attention to the original palette swap. However, the purple Link is unfamiliar to me and I feel a more iconic version of Link could have been used such as classic Link or such. However, it is a great recolor.​
[/collapse]

Next Topic!!

The next topic is in! Since Pokemon seems to be on everyone's brains currently, the next topic is a Pokemon theme. While the character didn't do too well in actual gameplay, the Pokemon Trainer was widely liked and the ingenuity that he brought to the field. There the next topic is:

Create a 5 palette swaps of a Pokemon Trainer from any generation with a team of 3 Pokemon from any generation. Make sure you place the Trainer as well as the Pokemon within the palette swaps.

The Deadline for the palette swaps is November 11th, a month away.

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
Congratulations to Zhadgon and good game to you all. It was fun.

I don't have enough knowledge of Pokemon to really make a worthwhile contribution to this, so I will be sitting this topic out. I look forward to future rounds, though.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
Well thanks, I didn't think in pulling out that one, I don't know what to say...
I think first I need to call APC99 for making a great color swap of Luigi, really great work and thumps up for the two extra palettes (I know it was only one but you did two, pushing your mind and work, so really you did a nice job).
Now Kapus on the color palette swap of Peach, holy molly when I saw your work I was speechless, really detailed and the extra choice it was amazing (If one person told me to do a new color swap of Peach, I would never thought of your idea, instead I would make it based on Toadette or when Peach when she wore the soldier uniform in PM: TTYD) I did think that you will get the first place in this contest.
Continuing with thekewlusername another great palette swap seriously nice work with the colors and great choice of character, for me it would be one of the most difficult to make because of the extra palette swap, with Mario you need to think outside the box because everyone has saw our favorite Plumber in so many colors and especially in Smash that to surprise the people require really a creative mind in coming with the idea and make it work, so great work and hope see you next in other contests.
Now finally but not least FalKoopa, you are insane with Kapus going for the most difficult characters to make, really thats a lot of work and looking to the choices that you made and how the palette will work with Link was amazing but if I need to say something you surprise me with the extra color swap because I would never come with that idea for the simple reason that I have never play Four Swords (I think is the one with purple Link?) so great choice and really nice with the details.

I need to thank Venus of the Desert Bloom (I wrote it right now) for creating this contest and making it fun for all (kudos for the DDS attack and still going with the game) and I must say thanks to Swampasaur and Oppossom for being the judges of this competition. Really great work the three of you on the analysis for each entry, I think it was spot on and very glad that you did think that my entry was good enough to compete and be the winner of this contest, so thanks again.

I think for the moment is all, thanks again and see you in the next contest.

.n_n.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Oh poop, that wasn't my final decision. It was to ask the others which of the two was better :(
I forgot to update my final with Mr. L.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Congrats to Zhadgon. Your Samus colors were my favorite of the bunch we've seen. Though they all were pretty good. I have a good idea of what I would do for the Pokemon trainer too.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I ended last... I see.

No problemo. Looking forward to the next.

Oh and congrats to Zhadgon! :)

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
The judges and I decided to evaluate Ariand/AEM's submissions. I apologize for any mix up or confusion. The new ratings will be posted in a few days.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Wait, does this include neglecting my other swap and just judging the normal ones + Mr. L?
Since missing Ariand/AEM's was an error on my part, the judges will be rating only that palette swap. However, earlier submissions are locked meaning updated submissions won't be judged.

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
Alright I have finally gotten around to making my swaps :D
[collapse=My pallet swaps (X & Y spoilers)]

1 = Normal 2 = Shiny/Green Team 3 = Blue Team 4 = Red Team

1 = Normal/Blue Team 2 = Green Team 3 = Red Team 5 = Shiny

1 = Normal/Red Team 2 = Blue Team 3 = Green Team 5 = Shiny[/collapse]

Hope you enjoy.

THIS IS FOR THE CONTEST

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I apologize for the lateness but the judges have finished judging Aiand/AEM's paellete swap.

Ariand/AEM

[collapse=Judging]
Swampasaur

Image Quality: 8
Total: 46
The colors seem kinda.... off. Almost too pale or dark? Either way, the colors are still nice and you oblivious put some thought into it. Well done!

Opossum
Total: 47/50

This fits the theme of the contest really well, but on the flip side, it's a character that someone else has done already, so there is more chance for competitive critiquing. That being said, these are over all very nice. In my opinion, though, the green Mario's trousers are a tad too dark, and the Fire Mario (one of my favorite Mario costumes) is much too gray. The actual one is much lighter. Still, though, the actual quality of the color swaps is very high.

Overall a good palette swap! I like the black and red Mario a lot. However, I feel the Fire Mario is too gray in parts as well as the red and blue Mario looks a bit off. I also felt the green and brown Mario is a bit too dark. Lastly, the absence of a background causes the darker palette swaps to get lost in the dark color of the forum. I think you really did well in transferring the SSBB colors to the SSB4 model. They all fit well in smash![/collapse]

Again, I am sorry for my counting your palette swap and I hope that you return for the next contest.

Which reminds me,
the current contest ends on November 11th! Please have your palette swaps finished by then! Please include in your post that it is for the contest.

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
It really sucks how this topic is on its deathbed...lets try to revive it yah?

I made some of Delphox! See if you can get the references to its colors. They go: Default, Red Team, Blue Team, Green Team, Custom, Custom

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Those look good. But I'm not so keen on the all gray one. It pales in comparison to the Gray/Purple/Red one. I like the Zygarde color though.

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
Alright I have finally gotten around to making my swaps :D
[collapse=My pallet swaps (X & Y spoilers)]

1 = Normal 2 = Shiny/Green Team 3 = Blue Team 4 = Red Team

1 = Normal/Blue Team 2 = Green Team 3 = Red Team 5 = Shiny

1 = Normal/Red Team 2 = Blue Team 3 = Green Team 5 = Shiny[/collapse]

Hope you enjoy.

THIS IS FOR THE CONTEST
What do you guys think about these?

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
Those look good. But I'm not so keen on the all gray one. It pales in comparison to the Gray/Purple/Red one. I like the Zygarde color though.
Thanks pal! And the white one is just based off of a white fox. Dammit this thread needs TO LIVE *prepares defibrillator*

Lolo Lolo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-1660-3630
Switch FC
SW 0891 5407 0511
can someone post a Dark Toon Link color (like he has in brawl) with his SSB4 artwork please ?

EDIT: with the colors of my image

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom