• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Critique Topic

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
I felt creative tonight and had a bit of extra time to kill, so I busted out the ol' sketch pad and went to work.

Note: My scanner is crap, I took pics with a digital camera. Sorry for the quality. :/

Self portrait. Pretty standard.

Adorable.

Friendly sea monster guy.

I need to put some shading in here.

Laa di da.

Thundermistress

BRoomer
BRoomer
All of the artwork that has been posted here is really good. I have a few things, but they're photography, and they're not very good.
Well that's the point of this thread, to get better! :] I'm a photographer as well (just been lazy to share anything...) and would love to see more photography around here. So do post away and we won't bite too hard now. :]

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
here goes nothing! I took this picture when I was walking in the woods. I realy like the lighting. I have several more.

http://s793.photobucket.com/albums/yy215/GeishaPRO/?action=view&current=forestlight1.jpg

here's a link cause the picture is big. Resizing it would mess it up.
Not digging how it's tilted; when I look at it, I need to tilt my head to get a sense of setting. Parts of the picture are very blurred. It's probably not your fault, but if you want a better quality picture, you'll need a better camera.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
I agree with Black Waltz about the tilt. I like your use of lighting though. Do you have anything else? I'd love to see more of your work.

Okay, here's some photography I did a little while back. Keep in mind that my camera is a piece of junk, and I don't consider myself to be a photographer at all, much less a good one. Be gentle with me.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
They are a little bland, I agree. It could be because it was in that period of time in the spring when the snow melts, but the grass hasn't gotten around to growing. :ohwell:

GeishaPRO

Smash Rookie
That's the reason. I like the picture of the crack in the cement the most, if the grass was alive it would add color to the picture. Here's another one by me. It's of my cat. She never sits still so I was shocked when this picture turned out. There's a peice of wood on her head. I tried to get it off but she pitched a fit:ohwell: The picture is a big so here's a link.

http://i793.photobucket.com/albums/yy215/GeishaPRO/twinkle.jpg

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
I love the colours in the pic, but I really like the sepia one too. Indecisive! I love the colour of your cat's eyes. It's a really good focal point of the photo. Great work. If you have other work you want to share, I'd love to see it. :)

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
The focus seems great. I love the colour in this picture as well. You've got some good stuff going on here. Keep up the good work! :)

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Well, I think my pictures are really bad... but I guess this is why this thread exists.

Here's a picture of a building in Halifax, where I live. It's called the Khyber, and they have lots of artsy/music shows. I liked the windows, so I took a picture of it.

EDIT: Sorry about the white border... I think that's Photobucket working against me.

Thundermistress

BRoomer
BRoomer
Wow! It's great to see so much photography <3

Comments!

Geisha:
Forest Light - I actually kind of like the tilt, it brings in more focus and that gorgeous strip of light you managed to capture. If anything I would crop off a tiny bit of the bottom to get rid of the leaves that are halfway into the picture and a little bit off the left, so that the strip of light is not as centered, rule of thirds y'know. :]

Twinkle - I think making it sepia was a good idea, the colour version just comes off as being way too bright, the highlights are a bit over-exposed. Very cute cat, again, I know cats are a pain to take photos of sometimes but to improve the composition you might want to consider cropping it around the eyes a bit more, since they came into such nice focus

Summer Flowers - You're right, the focus is off, I'm not sure what you want to portray or show in this picture. If you're trying to show off the flowers, they are definetly not in focus and even the leaves which are partly in focus, aren't really the centre of the picture. Your focal point is a bit lost in this pic.

Lythium:
Tree - I think this could look gorgeous black and white and upped with contrast, it is a little bland on it's own and missing a bit of a focal point but the twigs and branches create an interesting texture, which can be played on very usually when black and white.

Concrete - Love this, just up the contrast a bit to bring out the textures I would reckon. I personally like that the tuffs of grass aren't green, the brown plays into the colour scheme. Great composition as well.

Buildings - Didn't you notice the white border makes the colour pop out more? Great subject though, the windows are awesome!

I'm too lazy to upload anything of my own right now. ;x But hang tight for a new topic with my work eventually. Haha

GeishaPRO

Smash Rookie
Lythium:
The picture of the buildings is anything but bland. I love how the colours pop! This is a really good picture. I could never take a picture of a building and have it look good!

Thundermistress- Thank you so much for the advice! I've been needing some of that. I'm going to have to do some digging around to find any more pictures to show. I would really lke to see some of your work too.

Demon Kirby

Smash Champion
Everyone seems to be covered....

Some photos of mine. None of these have been edited in any way as of yet, but I intend to make a few slight adjustments.

Edit: wow, sorry so big. ._.

GeishaPRO

Smash Rookie
Who cares if they're big? Those pictures are amazing! I love the tiger picture! I'm going to a zoo today to see if I can get anything like this. I doubt it, these pictures are above and far beyond what I do! I'd love to see more.

Samochan

Smash Master
Demon Kirby: Is it just me or does the parrot have really, really funny expression? X3

I dig the flower photo, it's rich in colour, sharp and composition is just right. If the butterfly/moth thing could have been more open, it would've been perfect but alas, nature doees not cooperate just like that. Change of shooting position might've done the trick though, more bird view.

PMKNG

Smash Ace
NNID
GalickGon
It's a bit out of focus geisha, read you won't be getting a better camera but I'm curious about the specs. as well as what size the images are automatically, since you say you cant edit the sizes but you could always change the resolution in photoshop, and it'd be re sizable.

And its not your fault, but I tend to look towards the tire behind the lion.

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
The whites tend to blend in at the bottom of the page and make it confusing for the viewer: they keep looking there to focus on something but there isn't anything there. The upper half of the background doesn't help since it is a dark contrast with an all ready very light center and bottom of the picture.

GeishaPRO

Smash Rookie
PMKNG: Thanks for the advice. I can edit the sizes actually, at least I'm pretty sure I could edit them in photoshop or just change them on photobucket. The size of the image automatically is whatever photobucket uplaods it as.

Virgilijus: I can also see where you are correct as well. I need some advice on taking photo's inside.

Thundermistress

BRoomer
BRoomer
Everyone seems to be covered....
You can totally still leave some feedback if you had any. ;P More feedback is better than less after all. Haha

But anyway, overall good composition with the 3 pics, love the cockatoo! Do try to resize if you can next time though, makes it easier to take the whole picture in. :]

Geisha - Others have pointed out the focus and the lack of contrast issue, maybe again, haha, consider cropping the picture around the head? If you can make the eyes the focal point, then it may look a little more balanced. :]

Will eventually get something up...*still too lazy* ;B

Moon of the Strawberries

Smash Journeyman

This is actually a small project i've been working on. It's still a WIP and there are alot of mistakes and such i'm going to fix (such as the hand, arms and feet) but just decided to upload it for now.

PMKNG

Smash Ace
NNID
GalickGon
Moon: I'm assuming thats the pokeman, i dont know the name, that shows up on pillar w.e looks cool, when I didn't know it was that, I found it a bit more interesting because I wanted to know who/what it is.

Commander: I like the feel for it, but it could've been taken a lot better though. It is a bit TOO scribbly. I personally don't find it bad when there are scribblys, however it is a bit much. Things get a bit more confusing, especially with what i assume is a regular ball point pen. Nonetheless, i like the composition, the idea, just think it might be better in another median.

oh and also, to post an img rather than link, you need to put the link into img tags.

like that. The "opens" it, while the dash in the second one closes it. The same can be done for Character formatting such as bold and italic.

[.b]lol[/b]
[b]lol[/b]

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Nice work, Moon. Finish it NAOW. :)

I have to disagree with you, PMKNG. I love the scribbles. I think it greatly adds to the overall style/feel of the piece.

JJfox

Smash Cadet
Rate my sig out of 10. I say 10 because it's amazing, Jay-z saying Jigga What?? when he see a wild jigglypuff resting. LOL I'm a genius.
Smashboards is gay and doesn't show my signature EVEN THOUGH it is checked, so just find other posts by me to see it =) But now it does work now I've added extra words, and when I delete this line ^^ it goes. Meh.

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
I know this is not your regular photograph/drawing post, but I would still like some input.
I'm doing the match-up chart for Brawl Peach.

Is it good so far? Should I change something?

PMKNG

Smash Ace
NNID
GalickGon
looks good so far, but I'd much rather see it without Strokes around the font. I understand you're trying to make it pop out, but it should look fine once you get the colors since there are no whites behind it. Design wise its best not to mess with a font in terms of adding strokes etc usually

Samochan

Smash Master
Hm, not really any new works here to critique...

I promised I'd post more of my works here. The below one is a finished product I colored with available 6 or something color pencils and some markers, so please understand why there is a lack of shades of colors. :p

There is a droplet of water with H2O molecyle, magnet, sound waves, light spectrum colors rainbow thingy and then some fancy waves on the background I got from the reference image. There's supposed to be some light shade of blue inside those lines, but alas it's too light for the scanner to pick up and adding brightness to the image did not exacly help. <_< Few mistakes on the shape of the nose and eyes, the rainbow doesn't seem to be aligned perfectly vertical either or it might be just my mind tricking me, dunno. My scanner uses grainy quality, so meh. >_> In overall I'm happy with this color work, seeing as it's one of my few actual color pencil works.

Linework here: http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn138/SamWiiChan/Piirrustukset/Power.jpg

PMKNG

Smash Ace
NNID
GalickGon
SH: looked at some of your stuff the figure drawing and the circle pattern are cool. (Figure drawing it looks like the forearm is a bit wonky, still cool though)
And the clenched fist one the thumb looks skinnier at the tips but I can't say much cause idk what your reference was, cause when I use my own hands as reference I may get the same comments too since my hands are very thin etc.

definitely digging the overall tan painting, something about it i'm not sure what.

Top Bottom