• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Mario Stage Discussion Thread: Stage #14: Jungle Japes

vadgama

Smash Journeyman
Heres a little story on corneria. So i was playing this Ike and cornered him against the fin with mario and was comboing the **** out of him and he kept trying to counterattack and it would just make the counteratttack noise and not actually counter XD

vadgama

Smash Journeyman
Ya id say we move on. GO FOR NEUTRAL

Why dont we disuss stages that are giving us problems instead of discussing all of em?

Or is that what is happening in this thread and im just missing it?

Matt07

Smash Master
BIG BUMP.

Wow, this almost got lost. I have the summary for Corneria up a few posts, I think we're ready to move on.

Matt07

Smash Master
Everyone always CP Japes against me. It's not the greatest stage for Mario, it may be good against characters that land verticle K.O's often. You can K.O pretty early horizontally though.

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
....Mario has no advantage on this stage...no vertical kills, very few kills off the right side...if I got CP'd here...I'd just go Snake...

lol

Monk Method of counterpicking

Can I live here?
Can I kill here?
Are there random events that can change a match?
How well do I know the stage as Mario
Will I do better here as Snake?

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
Can't think of much...Down Smash kills pretty early on this stage if you stand on the left platform. And since the platform is pretty small, it can punish those who like to spam rolling.

I've also landed a couple Uair+Fair kill combos here too. The size of the middle platform is good if you can start a combo there.

I still don't like it though.
Edit: Unless I'm Falco

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
This is also a good Jiggly stage, so if you don't wanna go Mario, but you like being bold, feel free to use Jiggs.

I found Japes to be a fun stage to abuse capedashing. This really isn't that good for us...

Ray/Boshi

Smash Journeyman
I hate the stage. I'd rather play as a different character. When I am Mario though, I play defensively an campy. More cautious then usual as Other characters can benefit more then me in this stage scenario.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
And his recovery doesn't really come into play...I still wouldn't take him there though. He still has his Fair, upB out of the water, and ridiculous spacing/pressure game when you're on either the far left or right.

Spoonbob

Smash Ace
None of that advice is constructive at all. D:<

What if you're a solo Mario and you get counterpicked here? What would you actually DO to fight here. I'm sure there's something.

KEEP FSMASH FRESH FOR SIDE KILLS AT LEAST?

:mad::mad::mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Spoonbob. The best Mario troll. :mad:

This really is not a stage you should ever take Mario to.
FLUDD's useless, you can't cape anyone, so it's just there for projectiles.

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
Ban Japes. or better yet, talk to your local tournament organizer about taking it off the stage list. Most of the intelligent TOs have realized the *********** that is this stage.

Anybody who knows how to SH Dair can pick Flaco and take you here and camp your bawlz off until they spike you into the water. This might be one of Mario's worst.

Spoonbob

Smash Ace
Ban Japes. or better yet, talk to your local tournament organizer about taking it off the stage list. Most of the intelligent TOs have realized the *********** that is this stage.
no don't do this. It's one of Jiggs' best stages. D:

Just...don't go there, I suppose.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
We're not talking about Jiggly. :mad:
No, really. For Mario, it's a bad stage. You're better off at Frigate, Corneria, or BF.

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
None of that advice is constructive at all. D:<

What if you're a solo Mario and you get counterpicked here? What would you actually DO to fight here. I'm sure there's something.

KEEP FSMASH FRESH FOR SIDE KILLS AT LEAST?

:mad::mad::mad:
At a competitive level, almost all low tier mainers have a secondary that's above low tier, to cover their main's weaknesses. For the people like that, such as myself, there's no way we can get stuck with Mario on Jungle Japes without knowing it first.. If I win first round with Mario, and ban some other map, and my opponent picks Jungle Japes, I'm switching to Fox or Jigglypuff :]

Mario_ 101

Smash Ace
mario can like capeglide across from the bottom central ledges to grab the ledges on the side faster. he can also go under the platforms and get an up air or two in. i mean mario can just go below the stage instead of going above, which is gudz. but yea not too many pros here. o yea also if mario keeps having trouble getting to the stage he could just dive into the water and jump out on the other side (assuming mario is on the right side of the stage). nothing rly major here. just stay to the right side if u want to live lol, and stay to the left if u hope to get a kill against ur foe. all mario has to do on the left side to get a kill is get the foe into the water and keep him away from the stage, which mario is best at.

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
Pros
-Platforms can combo
-Prevents early vertical KOs
-Strong pressure/spacing game on the sides of the stage
-Early horizontal KOs

Cons