• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official MBR 2010 NTSC Tier List

D

Deleted member

Don't you play Zelda Umbreon? lololol
yeah, and i love the character, she feels oddly satisfying because of her unique simplicity. but i won't deny that she's a terrible character.

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
Her weight is 80, equal to that of Zelda and Sheik. Her resistance to initial knockback is the exact same as those two.
Her gravity, normal falling speed acceleration, is 0.08 and lower than that of Sheik, whose gravtiy is 0.12, which is more significant in determining Vertical Knockback Endurance. Captain Falcon's gravity is 0.13, Falco's 0.17, and Fox's 0.23. Captain Falcon only lives longer than Fox/Falco vertically because he has ~30-40% higher weight/initial knockback resistance.

Don't be stupid. Also, "LOL I WAS TROLLING" to cover up your blatant stupidity doesn't work outside of 4chan.

SDC

Smash Lord
If you're attempting to counter-troll or insult me, you're doing a rather poor job of it: copypasta from /b/ is how a moron insults somebody.
I'm not going to say that I don't care if you don't think I was trolling, because I do, if I didn't I wouldn't be typing this (I'll address this in a bit). I guess my point of this post is it's way too easy to troll you guys because you take this game way too seriously. Every now and then, when I'm bored, I'll log onto smashboards and begin trolling. Why? It's extremely easy, cheap fun.

Composing an extremely rudimentary troll post is pitifully easy:

1. Use poor grammar.

2. Avoid using apostrophes, and your punctuation should be generally poor.

3. Don't capitalize too many words in a sentence, especially not the first one.

4. Misspell certain easily spelled words, in an extremely obvious manner: there should be letters missing or misplaced within that word.

(Notice that the first four rules deal with portraying yourself as a rather unintelligent individual. This is important in trolling, as portraying yourself as an uneducated simpleton lulls them into a false sense of security, "yeah he's stupid, I can take him", "he's just a ******", etc. The point is: they are more likely to bite down on the bait if they think that the bait isn't likely to bite down on them back.)

5. This is the most important part: find somebody who seems to be taking things far too seriously and disagree with them. That's all it usually takes. (Smashboards, and really any forum, is filled with these people.)

6. Make sure your point is, at least partially, incorrect. Whether or not your point is incorrect isn't entirely necessary for the trolling, as it's the disagreement with somebody who takes themselves far too seriously that is the most essential requirement, but adamantly defending an incorrect position does often assist greatly in your trolling.

7. Make sure that you seem to be defending your point from a position of "conventional logic" and "common sense", or as George W. Bush said it "thinking with your gut", etc. Ex. "Peach is a lightweight". It sounds somewhat reasonable that peach, who is KOed rather easily vertically, is a "lightweight", but it's just not factually true. This also contributes to your portrayal of yourself as an uninformed simpleton, thus more easily squashed, and thus an easy target.

8. Insult them. This is not always recommended, as insulting your victim usually causes the interaction with that individual (and possibly more, if they are popular on the forum) to degenerate into petty, immature name-calling. If however, the insults are performed in a subtle, passive-aggressive manner, and are utilized sparsely, they can be very effective in further irritating your victim: remember, if you've followed the above rules, they probably already think you're a simpleton, and nobody likes being insulted by a simpleton.

9. Disagree only with a certain number of people. If your point is incorrect, and obviously so, and you've followed the above rules, then you should provoke more than one irate response. Do not respond to all of them, as this will make it seem as if you're trying too hard. This rule isn't completely necessary, but it does often help, as it sometimes does provoke a response to the tune of "why are you ignoring me?", "Are you unable to answer my rebuttal to your point?", "You're a coward", etc.

10. Don't incessantly, repetitively troll. Frequently, take an absence. Don't acclimate them to your irritating presence. Troll some people, take a break for a few pages, then come back and return to your previous behavior. Don't let them get used to it. If done correctly, they should be just as angry with you on the subsequent events as they are on the first one.

So those are the basics. Broken down into a science, essentially, that's how you troll. If you look back at my trolling comments, you'll notice they follow a decent majority of those rules. I would also like to point out that following all of these rules is not necessary, and oftentimes people forgo some of the earlier ones: indeed, a troll that appears to be intelligent is often just as effective as a troll who appears to possess the intellect of a Neanderthal.

So why am I telling you this? Why am I taking the time out of my day to type this out?
I suppose, to a certain extent, I do care about what little semblance of a reputation I possess on this forum (so yes, using this account to troll is obviously a foolish mistake on my part: I shouldn't pair this account's name with irritating, insipid, antagonistic behavior, I won't do that in the future, lol).
I honestly do want to alert you people of the ease with which I am able to troll you. It's just...all too easy. Look back up at that comment that StrongBad quoted, it's not even good trolling, in fact, fundamentally, it's quite formulaic. It's poorly disguised, obvious trolling. However, some of you, it seems, have bought it hook, line and sinker. My advice: don't take things so seriously. I'm not quite sure how to articulate this in the most exact language, but, the attitude, the state, the mindset of taking something too seriously is what enables trolls to troll in the first place. If you just laughed it off or ignored it they wouldn't have anything to feed off of. If they say something stupid, then they're probably not worth communicating with. If they're just simply, obviously trolling, then of what value is their conversation? Lighten up, calm down, and remember that it's just a game. :)

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
I'm trying to decide how mad I should be about the past few posts.

So mad.

Anyway, chill out with the unrelated stuff. I don't think we need people discussing how to troll others or how people go about it.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
SDC, trolling isn't exactly the thing to get you popular around here. My opinion of you has gone down in each one of your posts, and i'm sure i'm not the only one. Like john said, either you were trolling and its obvious or you made a mistake and instead of manning up about it you are trying to play it off as trolling. No respect either way.

SDC

Smash Lord
SDC, trolling isn't exactly the thing to get you popular around here. My opinion of you has gone down in each one of your posts, and i'm sure i'm not the only one. Like john said, either you were trolling and its obvious or you made a mistake and instead of manning up about it you are trying to play it off as trolling. No respect either way.
It's the former, but, w/e. Besides, the only thing that can actually improve my "cred" is if I start posting amazing videos of me playing against good players, which will not happen anytime soon, so, meh. =/

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Not really. If you post intelligently, other intelligent people will notice. I have almost no videos on youtube.

SDC

Smash Lord
Not really. If you post intelligently, other intelligent people will notice. I have almost no videos on youtube.
Well, admittedly I'm not exactly extremely knowledgeable about the game, so I always thought posting humorously (yes even in bad taste) was a better shot than posting intelligently.
Anyway, as I said, I'm not extremely knowledgeable about anything other than mewtwo, and even him I usually have many questions about. This is why I don't post very often, as there often isn't much for me to post about.
Due to a series of personal problems that severely debilitated my social life, I'm even disliked locally (depression, the disturbing thoughts brand of OCD, etc etc. everyone has problems though so whatever).
So yeah, posting incredible videos is really my only shot for any sort of "respect". Too bad for me I guess. "Stop doing stupid ****" is probably the best advice I could follow, heheh.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Well dude, i just suggest you act natural. Asking questions, being social, answering and debating (intelligently) and other productive things will all get you known and liked. Trolling is just one of those taboo things on SWF because the community is pretty nice

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Nope too much money to travel. I'm looking for large(r) tournaments on the EC to travel to, might go to HOPE 3 if i can organize a car

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
if i remember correctly, don't you like to troll too? or do you genuinely believe everything you say?
there's a diff between trolling and being ******** beyond repair, then using trolling as an excuse when the post was intended to be serious. i think it was pretty obvious which category this guy is part of so i'm not gonna talk about it any further cause i already showed my point

and most of my "troll" posts aren't really wanting to piss anyone off, it's just usually me ****in around cause i'm high or somethin

anyhow sorry for the derail. i'd kill to go to genesis 2 to play with some of you guys <3

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
like I said before SDC was clearly trolling. I know he is a smart dude based on reading other things he has posted. as somebody who has been trolled fairly hard in the past and done a little bit myself, ive learned my lesson.

when it comes to things like x character being garbage there isn't much reason to be super adamant in proving somebody wrong. most of the time that kind of resistance means they are actually just stupid or trolling, either way u will not get through to them so its not with it. the exception is that you are the stupid one wasting everybody's time.

:phone:

D

Deleted member

But..without her down B she's worse then Mewtwo.
lol, no. zelda is WAY better than mewtwo. not comparable. i was the best in the world at BOTH at the SAME TIME for a while and I quit mewtwo to main zelda because mewtwo sucks too badly.

no exaggeration at all.

Wake

Smash Master
Ha SDC I knew that huge post was coming sooner or later. Yes, After Dawn, he was trolling. I play SDC in person. He knew what he said sounded dumb.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
WOW haley nice name change. I saw the name in the list and was like "woah thats gotta be tec0's trollololol account"

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
You're all silly.

Mewtwo sucks.

Umbreon I hate Sheik. But I can't bring myself to stop using her because of the random times I'll actually play her well and chase someone for a minute and kill them. And the tipped U-smash KOs.

j00t

Smash Champion
GnW should be above Roy tbh :p

hasn't done anything in tournament though so I can't put him above Zelda :/

D

Deleted member

You're all silly.

Mewtwo sucks.

Umbreon I hate Sheik. But I can't bring myself to stop using her because of the random times I'll actually play her well and chase someone for a minute and kill them. And the tipped U-smash KOs.
Really? The older I've grown with the game, the more I really appreciate Sheik. I really like the whole "less is more" feel that sheik forces, and I still really like that she's a top tier character with so much flexibility, but has so many poorly understood limitations. Sheik is basically the only character I play anymore really, and my sheik isn't good by any means.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Really long post
You're taking this too seriously. Why do you care so much what they think? Why are you so concerned about reputation that you post a several-thousand word faux-intellectual analysis of the phenomenon of trolling, as if it contained something we didn't all already know? It's not that complicated of an art. You were cool by me until you pulled the "it's just a game" card. Taking a game seriously and trying to push limits, etc. is lame, but making zillion-page posts on a forum ABOUT a game isn't? Come now.

SDC

Smash Lord
You're taking this too seriously. Why do you care so much what they think? Why are you so concerned about reputation that you post a several-thousand word faux-intellectual analysis of the phenomenon of trolling, as if it contained something we didn't all already know? It's not that complicated of an art. You were cool by me until you pulled the "it's just a game" card. Taking a game seriously and trying to push limits, etc. is lame, but making zillion-page posts on a forum ABOUT a game isn't? Come now.
Maybe I wasn't clear enough at the end. What I mean by "taking a game far too seriously" is when somebody says somebody even remotely antagonistic in relation to it, you immediately become defensive, and take them seriously, when oftentimes all they are trying to do is provoke irritation. The point is, there's nothing wrong when you pursue something's strengths, but when you feel you must defend it against anything and anyone, then you have problems. A troll is somebody who has no interest in the pursuit of something's strengths, instead their only intent is to provoke irritation, thus, they are of no value at all to the forum or anyone who belongs to the forum, thus, they should just be ignored. When somebody attempts to defend something against a troll, or argue with a troll, then they are essentially just wasting their time.

tl;dr, don't feed the trolls.

Top Bottom