• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Pokemon Platinum Thread

~rh

Smash Lord
I hope the abbreviation for this gen of Pokemon games will be D/PE/PL. It just looks cool...

/random

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
if he isn't announced, yet still in the game, I assume that people ned to hack the game to get Arceus, am I right?
Basically. I think the simplest way to do so now is to use an AR code to give you the Heaven's Pipe or whatever it's called, then you go to Spear Pillar and I think it automatically makes the staircase appears. Then, you confront him.

There's probably a way to transform another Pokemon into Arceus at this point (you know, Pokemon replacing) but the method I listed is the MOST legit method at this point.

Same with Shaymin, only you can use an Oak's Letter or just Walk/Run Anywhere on AR.

drcossack

Smash Ace
Basically. I think the simplest way to do so now is to use an AR code to give you the Heaven's Pipe or whatever it's called, then you go to Spear Pillar and I think it automatically makes the staircase appears. Then, you confront him.

There's probably a way to transform another Pokemon into Arceus at this point (you know, Pokemon replacing) but the method I listed is the MOST legit method at this point.

Same with Shaymin, only you can use an Oak's Letter or just Walk/Run Anywhere on AR.
I know in Diamond (not sure about Pearl, I haven't checked GameFAQs recently), Arecus/Darkrai/Shaymin can be caught "legitimately" with an encounter code. You don't have any problems getting them to obey either.

Nintendo's been horribly inconsistent with that. In R/B/Y and G/S/C, you could catch Mew and Celebi without a problem. In R/S/E/Fr/Lg, catching Mew and Deoxys in the wild caused them to be COMPLETELY disobedient (so much so that, to my knowledge, they never attacked); the only way to acquire them was to Warp to their islands. That flag was removed in D/P, and I assume it's going to remain that way in Platinum (since the islands were also removed. Unfortunately, you can't get a legitimate Lugia and Ho-Oh either)

Mewter

Smash Master
cool, pokemon Platinum(what an annoying name... oh well).
Do you think t=Giratina's origin form will be a sweeper? And I wonder if you cabn trade it from the other games and it changes form like deoxys in fr/lg.(I still have an untrained Giratina):bee:

Darkslash

Smash Master
Do you think t=Giratina's origin form will be a sweeper? And I wonder if you cabn trade it from the other games and it changes form like deoxys in fr/lg.(I still have an untrained Giratina):bee:
I don't think so...i heard its gonna be heavily altered. The game data that is

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
No really i just noticed that..... Red. Blue and Yellow spell Ruby with out the U

OH YEA ITS OFFICAL NIN10DO JUST ANOUCED PLATINUM IS REALL!!!!!!!!

I'm gonna preorder it when they confirm a NA release XD
If its confirmed it is no longer a rumor. So I changed the title :p.

Ya and I think the origin form, sky form and ice form will be untradable with D/P as I dont think in the games coding for pokemon D/P there is anything about these forms. Though it is possible that they might change this.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
No really i just noticed that..... Red. Blue and Yellow spell Ruby with out the U
Oh, okay...

Sorry, I'm paranoid. :laugh:

OH YEA ITS OFFICAL NIN10DO JUST ANOUCED PLATINUM IS REALL!!!!!!!!

I'm gonna preorder it when they confirm a NA release XD
Me too.

I thought of that myself. I think it's very possible.

I don't think so...i heard its gonna be heavily altered. The game data that is
What do you mean? I really don't understand what you mean by "heavily altered". In what way?
I think that the different forms are bound to be like Deoxys in either 3rd gen or 4th gen, where you can change the form. I'd sort of prefer 4th gen, so you aren't stuck with them that way, but that may not happen.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I think Pokemon Opal sounds better.
I concur.

And I think I just realized why Platinum doesn't really fit...it's a metal, while Diamonds and Pearls are precious jewels. Opal, garnet...you name it, can probably be better than Platinum.

Plus, the title of the game usually fits the game to some extent. Red was because of Charizard, Blue because of Blastoise, Green because of Venusaur, Yellow because of Pikachu, Gold because of Ho-Oh, Silver because of Lugia, Crystal because of Suicune, Ruby because of Groudon, Sapphire because of Kyogre, Emerald because of Rayquaza, Diamond because of Dialga, Pearl because of Palkia...now Platinum, how does that relate to Giratina? At all? Maybe something will be revealed in the game that relates him...?

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
Ya I dont like the name either. Anyway I was looking up giratina on wiki and I read someting that said Giratina is similar to the devil. He has 6 legs, 6 spikes on his wings and 6 ribcage thingys. Put that together and you get 666 O_O

hugglebunny

Smash Journeyman
I concur.

And I think I just realized why Platinum doesn't really fit...it's a metal, while Diamonds and Pearls are precious jewels. Opal, garnet...you name it, can probably be better than Platinum.

Plus, the title of the game usually fits the game to some extent. Red was because of Charizard, Blue because of Blastoise, Green because of Venusaur, Yellow because of Pikachu, Gold because of Ho-Oh, Silver because of Lugia, Crystal because of Suicune, Ruby because of Groudon, Sapphire because of Kyogre, Emerald because of Rayquaza, Diamond because of Dialga, Pearl because of Palkia...now Platinum, how does that relate to Giratina? At all? Maybe something will be revealed in the game that relates him...?
That is actually a really good point. Something might be realeased in game about Giratina that we didn't no befor:urg:!?!?

And does anybody else think that Crystal is better than Silver and Gold?

Ya I dont like the name either. Anyway I was looking up giratina on wiki and I read someting that said Giratina is similar to the devil. He has 6 legs, 6 spikes on his wings and 6 ribcage thingys. Put that together and you get 666 O_O
OMG TIS THE END OF TEH POKEMON WORLD AS WE KNOW IT, EVERY BODY RUN!?!?!?!?

Nobody likes the name platnium, face it:laugh:
maybe it is a coverup name, and they will change the name later, they did that to the wii, so it is possible

MysticKenji

Smash Master
I concur.

IIRC Giratina's japanese name is based off the japanese word for platinum...so...

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
IIRC Giratina's japanese name is based off the japanese word for platinum...so...
Even if his name is based on the word for platinum, what about him is platinum? And that's great for the Japanese gamers, but what about everyone else who wouldn't know that correlation?

Even with that small connection, I still dislike the name and think it doesn't fit.

Darkslash

Smash Master
well you know i think the name has to do some thing with the pokemon them selves

Diagla:Has a diamond in its chest. its version is diamond

Palkia: Has huge pearls in its arms. Its version is Pearl

Giratina: Has no visible jewel. So it can be considered that it has a armor of Platinum. Hence Pokemon Platinum.

If it was going to be called Opal or something like that then they would have to redesign Giratina. And i'm guessing in order to do that, they will have to make new copies of D/P or release a patch for Pokemon D/P though download stations in game stores or the Nintendo Channel though Wii's. But then this could be very expensive redoing this all. Some DS users don't have a Wii, and some stores don't have DS download ports. So it makes sense that its just platnium....

Besides I think its also a tradition that every other Generation (I.E II,IV,VI) will have a third game unrelated to the first 2. Like Gold and Silver the third game was called Crystal and that wasn't a metal was it. I think they are doing the same with Pokemon Platnium. 2 Crystals and 1 Metal.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
well you know i think the name has to do some thing with the pokemon them selves

Diagla:Has a diamond in its chest. its version is diamond

Palkia: Has huge pearls in its arms. Its version is Pearl

Giratina: Has no visible jewel. So it can be considered that it has a armor of Platinum. Hence Pokemon Platinum.
Giratina having Platinum armor...that's pure speculation. We have no proof of this.

If it was going to be called Opal or something like that then they would have to redesign Giratina. And i'm guessing in order to do that, they will have to make new copies of D/P or release a patch for Pokemon D/P though download stations in game stores or the Nintendo Channel though Wii's. But then this could be very expensive redoing this all. Some DS users don't have a Wii, and some stores don't have DS download ports. So it makes sense that its just platnium....
Except again, the armor is pure speculation, and the name is the only other thing with a correlation. Obviously they're not going to patch it to name it something different...but they could just have named it Garnet, since it fits Giratina's appearance.

Besides I think its also a tradition that every other Generation (I.E II,IV,VI) will have a third game unrelated to the first 2. Like Gold and Silver the third game was called Crystal and that wasn't a metal was it. I think they are doing the same with Pokemon Platnium. 2 Crystals and 1 Metal.
I somehow don't think that it's a pattern they have in mind...I think it's just coincidence. They can't find a correlation that they can use, so they do whatever they want.

In any case, Platinum just does not fit in my mind. I just keep picturing Platinum going along with the picture of Giratina on the box, and it just feels so forced. Giratina...just the aura that he gives off doesn't fit with platinum...it just feels weird.

You can try to convince me if you wish; but I have considered everything, and until I just get used to the idea (like I did with the names "Wii" and "Toon Link"), I will not see a relevant correlation nor will I like the name.

End of this discussion. Now, let's move on to actually discussing the game...

Darkslash

Smash Master
Yea no use of arguing with you there but i wouldn't be surprised if they say Giratina has Platinum armor o_0

ohh yea possibly this is going to be Dawns new Costume

this is speculation tho

Spire

III
BRoomer
1 Vote for Official Pokemon Platinum thread!

I know Firus ended the discussion about Platinum, but I have a couple of things to point out. Firstly, I thought thought that Platinum would have been the third game in the 2nd Generation (would have gone GREAT with Gold and Silver - G/S/P just sounds good). Crystal would have fit better for D/P/C (also sounds good) but has nothing to do with Giratina (although technically, crystal can be any color and is probably the most ominous of all of the Pokemon version names as it is not so much a "gem" as the others are.

Also, Japan had Pokemon Red/Green, while we had Red/Blue, the change simply being made for graphical alterations in the sprites. They might change Platinum for American appeal (but we might have to protest the name). Garnet fits perfectly for Giratina, as its lettering is similar, and they both share that "dark-redness" (D/P/G sounds awesome).

Anyways, on to the actual game...

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
ok ;)

I know Firus ended the discussion about Platinum, but I have a couple of things to point out. Firstly, I thought thought that Platinum would have been the third game in the 2nd Generation (would have gone GREAT with Gold and Silver - G/S/P just sounds good). Crystal would have fit better for D/P/C (also sounds good) but has nothing to do with Giratina (although technically, crystal can be any color and is probably the most ominous of all of the Pokemon version names as it is not so much a "gem" as the others are.
Ya it has a better ring to it. Plus platnium could work out for suicune as he is blue like platnium. Plus crystal could work with giratina.

Also, Japan had Pokemon Red/Green, while we had Red/Blue, the change simply being made for graphical alterations in the sprites. They might change Platinum for American appeal (but we might have to protest the name). Garnet fits perfectly for Giratina, as its lettering is similar, and they both share that "dark-redness" (D/P/G sounds awesome).

Anyways, on to the actual game...
Do you think the sprites will be altered in the american version? I hope not as I remeber in the Red/Blue games there were pokemon that looked better in the green version and vise versa. If they just made 1 good sprite it would be better.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Do you think the sprites will be altered in the american version? I hope not as I remeber in the Red/Blue games there were pokemon that looked better in the green version and vise versa. If they just made 1 good sprite it would be better.
No, sprites won't be altered. That was just the case for the green->blue transcription. Green had better sprites, while in Red and Blue, some Pokemon looked very different than they do today.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974

I didn't mean to end the discussion of the name Platinum altogether, I was just trying to say that no one's going to convince me that it's relevant or a good name. Sorry.

Yeah, after saying "Gold/Silver/Platinum" and "Diamond/Pearl/Crystal / Diamond/Pearl/Garnet" out loud, wow...they sound really much better. But you're right, they don't really fit...well, at least Platinum doesn't in that case. Crystal fits Suicune perfectly, I think, the way they did the cartridge and all. (It's such a cool-looking game...it's too bad the one I just recently bought used won't hold a Saved file...) Crystal could fit Giratina, though. Platinum just...does not fit, I don't think, anywhere.

Didn't Japan have Blue as well? I thought Japan got Red/Green initially, then Blue was released in Japan and we never got Green and got Blue instead. I hope they do change it for us, but they probably won't.

Speaking of, GameBoy and GameBoy Color don't have a region lock on them, do they? I think I want to buy a Green Version...I already know the old games well, so the language wouldn't be a problem, and I've always wanted the Green Version...I was so disappointed when they never brought it to America.

any ways I heard giratina eats Cyrus o_0
....Wow, that's almost definitely made up. Although it would be kind of nice to see something a little more realistic and mature in the games...

Ya it has a better ring to it. Plus platnium could work out for suicune as he is blue like platnium. Plus crystal could work with giratina.
Platinum isn't blue...it's metal, with a normal metallic-type look. But I agree, Crystal could work with Giratina.

I kind of liked the sprite differences. It made it intersting, I think. The only problem was when good/bad sprites were in one game and you were like "I like this sprite!...but I don't like this one." For instance, I think Raichu was better in Silver, but Ho-Oh was better in Gold...which made it sort of annoying (wait, I think that was what you just said...but whatever). But it added a difference to the game so they feel a little different. Adds a little more incentive to buy the other version.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I didn't mean to end the discussion of the name Platinum altogether, I was just trying to say that no one's going to convince me that it's relevant or a good name. Sorry.

Yeah, after saying "Gold/Silver/Platinum" and "Diamond/Pearl/Crystal / Diamond/Pearl/Garnet" out loud, wow...they sound really much better. But you're right, they don't really fit...well, at least Platinum doesn't in that case. Crystal fits Suicune perfectly, I think, the way they did the cartridge and all. (It's such a cool-looking game...it's too bad the one I just recently bought used won't hold a Saved file...) Crystal could fit Giratina, though. Platinum just...does not fit, I don't think, anywhere.
Actually, Platinum is beginning to grow on me. It's a little strange, but Giratina's hide is made of platinum, and I'm kind of liking it now. It's like this dry, fiery, evil platinum - a seemingly perfect metal, but wrought with evil. I'm liking it the more I think of it.

Didn't Japan have Blue as well? I thought Japan got Red/Green initially, then Blue was released in Japan and we never got Green and got Blue instead. I hope they do change it for us, but they probably won't.

Speaking of, GameBoy and GameBoy Color don't have a region lock on them, do they? I think I want to buy a Green Version...I already know the old games well, so the language wouldn't be a problem, and I've always wanted the Green Version...I was so disappointed when they never brought it to America.
Yeah, you're right. What happened was that blue was released in Japan (which had slightly better graphics, and altered sprites) and then they made Red/Blue off of that (but I think Red kept the Japanese Red sprites... can't really remember). Oh, and yes, I used to own Green, and it is playable on American Gameboys. I can't remember what happened to it though :(

Platinum isn't blue...it's metal, with a normal metallic-type look. But I agree, Crystal could work with Giratina.
I'm not seeing how it could work actually, unless Giratina came out of a crystal or something. The only titles that seem to work with Giratina are Gold, Ruby, Platinum, and Garnet, and because Gold and Ruby are taken, its a fight between the latter two - Platinum which already has the upper hand -- Nintendo's hand.

Patinator

Smash Champion
Actually, Platinum is beginning to grow on me. It's a little strange, but Giratina's hide is made of platinum, and I'm kind of liking it now. It's like this dry, fiery, evil platinum - a seemingly perfect metal, but wrought with evil. I'm liking it the more I think of it.
Okay I'm officially scared now. A chill went down my spine as I read the bolded. o_o

I'd think the Giratina eating Cyrus thing would be more like engulfing him in darkness. That'd be cool. :0

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
...Wow, that's some epic description. I see what you mean, sort of, but...it still doesn't feel like Giratina to me. It'll probably grow on me though; as I said, I hated the names "Wii" and "Toon Link" initially, but I pretty much got used to them.

But wait...Giratina's hide is made of platinum? Do we have evidence of it, or is it just speculation?

Yeah, you're right. What happened was that blue was released in Japan (which had slightly better graphics, and altered sprites) and then they made Red/Blue off of that (but I think Red kept the Japanese Red sprites... can't really remember). Oh, and yes, I used to own Green, and it is playable on American Gameboys. I can't remember what happened to it though :(
I think Red kept the Japanese sprites.
Sorry about you losing your Green Version, I would probably be pretty upset if that happened to me. Then again, I'm sort of...well, scratch that, I'm an uber geek, so that's not exactly surprising. The cartridge is just grey, right? I think I looked up a picture of it just to see, and was disappointed by the fact that it wasn't colored.
Oh, and thanks for confirming that for me, the lack of region lock. (I don't like the region lock at all...but I'm glad it at least doesn't affect handhelds.)

I'm not seeing how it could work actually, unless Giratina came out of a crystal or something. The only titles that seem to work with Giratina are Gold, Ruby, Platinum, and Garnet, and because Gold and Ruby are taken, its a fight between the latter two - Platinum which already has the upper hand -- Nintendo's hand.
Well, as you pointed out, Crystal can be any color, so, you know, if it were sort of a black crystal type thing, it could work. Not as good as I think Garnet could, but better than I think Platinum does.

...I should probably just accept Platinum already, I didn't accept the name "Toon Link" until I saw his name in the American version of Brawl...which was more disappointing. I'm too stubborn for my own good. :ohwell:

Darkslash

Smash Master
holy crap i knew it o_o or not....

Any ways you can change between Origin form and another form

:p

Plus i love platinum. So hard and cold and good for cutting XD

D13

Smash Ace
I always enjoy the addition of new pokemon, but I'm not sure if I'll buy the actual game. I like to play competitively, so I'll probably stick to the pokemon simulators.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
holy crap i knew it o_o or not....

Any ways you can change between Origin form and another form

:p

Plus i love platinum. So hard and cold and good for cutting XD
How would you be able to change them back and forth? It was obvious you could change them but how? Going to the spring area could work as on the rock its written its the connection between giratinas world and the real world, I think.

Darkslash

Smash Master
How would you be able to change them back and forth? It was obvious you could change them but how? Going to the spring area could work as on the rock its written it the connection between giratinas world and the real world, I think.
Its been said some where that it would be similar to Deoxys. But seeing i didn't play Gen III i dunno how you do that.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Its been said some where that it would be similar to Deoxys. But seeing i didn't play Gen III i dunno how you do that.
In Generation III, Deoxys' forms depended on what game you were playing. In Generation IV, you could change his forms at will in Veilstone City. So I guess Giratina's forms can be changed at will at perhaps Spear Pillar this time around?

Darkslash

Smash Master
Hey guys if you are wondering about the special manga some one pointed out some thing. In japanese they call Platinum, Platina for short and they can call Berlitz Tina. wow that guy was smart :p

Top Bottom