• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Snake Q&A Area

iKiLLOTz

Smash Journeyman
For Snakes I recommend drop 2nd jump airdodge or drop 2nd jump b reversal onto ledge. These can become way too predictable so switch it up.
Use these all the time, great for mixup.

The B-Reversal thing, however, i feel is only good for low percents and sometimes and easily be punished

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
You don't need to b-reverse the nade, just jump back and reverse nade will do, it is a really good mixup even at high percents when your opponent will be attacking you for the kill. The nade can damage your opponent AND save you from being killed too.

release to second jump boosted cypher is another good mixup, as your opponent wouldn't see it coming and chances are won't punish it.

OnlyUseMeNades

Smash Journeyman
I've been playing with my friend and he says my Snake is a "Freestyle" Snake, not stage control and that's why I do well on most stages (I had just beat him on Brinstar).

Now, I'd thought I'd been somewhat using stage control, and would like to learn. That being said, I'm not sure where to start or what to do.

Some basic questions:

What part of the stage should I seek to control?

How do I go about this (Which explosives where and where I go)?

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
Stage control is more about you staying on the better part of the stage, while cornering your opponent to the edges of the stage or better yet off stage/in the air. C4s and mines help restricting some areas, but it's good to change their placement sometimes for a better chance of your opponent not realizing where it is. C4s are pretty good on platforms as they will cover more range. grenades can also be used for stage control just by spewing them on the ground.

someonerandom

Smash Journeyman
I'm new to Snake so I really don't know much. If you have an opponent who stays down on the ground after a Dthrow, what is the best option? Sometimes I like to try C4 sticky, Utilt and explode it for the kill when at high percentages. But I feel like there are a lot of better options.

OnlyUseMeNades

Smash Journeyman
Well some character can be jabbed and re-grabbed.

Susa's Dthrow Guide

Dthrow > buffered jab will work on these people when they stay do NOT input a get-up attack or roll command:

DK
Wario
Bowser
Link
Rob
Kirby
MK
DDD
Wolf
Jiggs
Ike
G&W
Charizard
Ivy

It doesn't work on:

Diddy
Yoshi
Peach
Luigi
Mario
Link
Ganon
TL
Pit
Olli
Fox
Falco
CF
Luc
Pika
Marth
Ness
Lucas
Sonic
Snake
Squirtle
ZSS
Zelda
Samus
Shiek

I did find out however that a few people can be jabbed but only after a few frames. Ollimar is a good example, the buffered jab won't work, but wait a few frames then jab and it will work.

I'll try to see if Dthrow > buffered jab will stop all of the characters options.
You can try that.

Your strategy seems interesting, but it will probably take too long if they catch on

My favorite is Jab -> Grab, and continue tech chase. Eventually they'll have to do something else

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
I need to remember to use that ^

My question is going to sound noobish..how the **** do we beat Ike? It seems like good Ikes are really good at keeping me out of F-Tilt range which is just annoying. Their Jab is fast as hell also which leads to all sorts of shenanigans as you guys already know. I need general advice on how to deal with him at close and mid range.

Baiting is my number one choice for dealing with those situations Tech.

Shield dashing away or towards along with walking towards and away mess up spacing so badly. It also gets you the chance to possible powershield a lot. On the move man, on the move. There are always more options than simply standing still like a rock and only having your eyes moving forwards.

ZTD | TECHnology

San makes me want to play Ike. But its Ike lol

And okay I learned a few things. I also need to stop being so timid against him. I lost to an Ike in Pittsburgh and I had to time him out next game with DDD to redeem myself. :(

ZTD | TECHnology

Someone give me cps to ban/go to, and neutrals to ban/go to for these chars: Lolimar Falco d3 MK Lucario
Neutrals when fighting :falco:

Final Destination: Not the best pick.
Battlefield: I feel like this is actually the neutral you want to avoid when fighting Falco. Long *** explanation is in the MU thread.
Smashville: Definitely one of your best options here. The moving platform is your friend.
Yoshi's: It's okay for this MU. It's not particularly strong for either character..
Pokemon Stadium: This is one of the few times I would go to this stage. If you're patient you can win the day here. It makes camping much harder for Falco and we can abuse a lot of things on this stage.
Lylat (if its a neutral in your area) - This is a strong pick for us. Moving stage messed with Falco's recovery. And the dark stage makes our C4 and Landmines blend in. And platforms are always nice. Also since the stage is moving you can platform cancel here for added shenanigans. If this is legal in your region I'd go for it.

Counterpicks against :falco:
Lylat - See above.
Halberd - Old reliable. The low ceiling can help you kill Falco extremely early and the large platform in the middle is always a big help for setting up stage control as well. You can really put Falco in some bad situations here. Of course they will more than likely ban this against you but it's a great option if they don't.
Frigate Orpheon - People underestimate Falco on this stage. Particularly on the second phase of the stage where there's a big dip in the middle of the main platform. Falco can camp really well here and on other parts of the stage. It is true we kill him early here but you should be aware that though Falco only has one ledge to use he can still perform well. If you are good at reading Falco's recovery then this stage is a great option though. Just don't be surprised if you have issues approaching.

Ban when fighting :falco:

Final Destination: There are obvious reasons as to why you should ban this stage. It's completely flat and Falco has Gayzers and many tricks with them. It's very hard to approach Falco here.
Battlefield: I really don't like this stage against Falco. Once again see my long *** explanation in the MU thread for every reason why I hate this stage against Falco.

Neutrals when fighting :dedede:

- Final Destination: This stage has its upsides and its downsides: The main downside is that if you get grabbed, you will eat a long chaingrab here. But the plus side (and the reason I prefer this stage) is because we can camp him really well here. Waddle Dees will give us a challenge but we can make it hell to approach. I play hit and run the entire match here and it works really well.

Battlefield: My favorite Neutral against D3. The stage is shorter so shorter CGs and the platforms help us a lot. It helps when making it difficult for him to approach and it really helps for edgeguarding his predictable recovery. You can do very well here. My top neutral pick.

Smashville: A solid pick however be wary of hanging out on the platform for too long when he's near you or you can get CGed off the platform if he is facing the direction the platform is moving. Other than that its solid. We can camp the platform really well and set our Landmines and C4 on it. Of course be wary of getting grabbed as the stage is about as long as FD.

Pokemon Stadium 1: The first stage I will ban against D3. There's a lot of opportunities for wall infinites here and we'll have to keep on the move to avoid positional issues. It can also be very hard to kill D3 here. I'd avoid it.

Yoshi's Island: I have mixed feelings about this stage. As a D3 player I can tell you this is definitely our worst neutral. Its really hard to approach anyone who has a camp game here. <_< On the downside its REALLY hard to kill him on the stage. Both of you will be living to absurd percents.

Lylat Cruise: It's solid. You can do well with stage control here and make it hell for D3 to approach.

Counterpicks against :dedede:

Battlefield is my go to. See above.
Final Destination: Only go if you feel confident in your ability to avoid the grab.
Lylat: A solid stage overall.

Ban against :dedede:

Delfino: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqaaMuqWVTc
Watch this video and you should get the general idea.
Rainbow Cruise: A not so good stage for us..great for them. They can wall infinite us but the main issue is that the stage is just constantly moving and we don't beat D3 in the air. This is considered their real Dreamland. I think Delfino is worse though in my opinion. I've ***** a lot of Snake on that stage lol

I'll post more later...wall of text burnout.

[/COLOR]

Reyney

Smash Apprentice
counter picking and banning should not only depend on characters mu on stages.
you should also consider how comfortable you feel on stages.

i will tell you what i would do vs certain characters
(so this is not a fire proof solution which every snake should use)

vs falco: you dont want to start on fd because he outcamps you.
you also want to ban fd. falco favors neutrals in general.
as a cp i like lylat because of these ledges which make it harder for him to recover.and i like platforms.
frigate is another option. the right edge at first transition makes it really easy to punish his recovery as well.
second transition is pretty large though and lasts longer afaik...

d3:strike fd because of cg and he can punish landing easyly
fd is bad but you should ban delfino cause walkoffs are very dangerous... there are some walls for wall infinites, too ...so ban it
cp: i like bf against ddd because he cant grab you from landing and platforms allow you to set up c4,mines grenades which support your camping angainst him. lylat, too

lucario: strike fd. they feel very comfortable there because of their campgame, long lifespan(aura boost), edge shenanigans. i personally would ban it too.
cp:well it depends where you feel comfortable. i often choose frigate cause of the right edge on first transition.
and on second transition you can crawl under his projectile when you are in the middle of the stage.
lylat should also be fine.

olimar: dont have much expierience with him .
i think you should strike fd because he outcamps us.
ban ..idk ..i guess fd also.
cp: frigate cause of right edge agaain..hes pretty much dead if hes offstage there

mk: i strike bf cause he can controle blatforms with ease and i feel like its easiyer to juggle with them.
ban brinstar/rc whatever you hate moar lol
cp: they will most likely ban halberd so you should pick fd.

*ninja'd :/

xxTerminatorxx

Smash Journeyman
OK.

Since this is a Brawl Snake thread, anyone want to talk about what's you're favorate MGS game? For me, it's MGS4. Old Snake is so cool :p

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
I go aggro against d3 and it works..
Effin Falco mu I know how to deal with him but its still annoying as ****
D3 and Falco are actually 2 of my most comfortable matchups with Snake. D3 you def need to camp when he's on the ground, sometimes take risk with DACUS but he can grab it on reaction if you use it too close or just beat it with ftilt. Be aggro when he's trying to get on the stage and stuff, nikita works really well against him. If you want to be aggro onstage make sure there are cooked nades near you incase you get grabbed.

Falco is all about speed, but you can beat him with spacing by ftilt, utilt, and pivot grab. Camp with nades at low percent, try to predict his laser and throw a nade so the laser blow it up in his face or just throw cooked ones at him. Snake has a pretty easy time punishing falco's phantasm with utilt, nades, or roll towards his landing and ftilt/utilt, just get used to predicting/expecting/reacting to it.

I can say so much more about these matchups but ill refrain myself lol

xxTerminatorxx

Smash Journeyman
MGS 3 with the freestyle camera or sons of liberty. Gameplay vs story.
I liked MGS3 more, story and gameplay. MGS2 Sons of Liberty was good in story, but it was really confusing.
My favs in order:

(1) MGS4: Guns of the Patriots
(2) MGS3: Snake Eater
(3) MGS2: Sons of Liberty
(4) MGS: The Twin Snakes

I liked Twin Snakes remake better than the original since the graphics were improved, as well as the story. Gameplay counts too.

Yumewomiteru,
What MGS games do you enjoy?

Ralph Cecil

Smash Champion
NNID
RalphCecil
3DS FC
4098-4850-8033
Could someone give me some tips on the Sonic matchup? I just feel so awkward and lost when it comes to him flinging himself around and what not.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
I don't play against Sonics a lot. The only thing I know is to outrange Sonic's attacks and camp. Sonics use SC to clank Snake's attacks so keep in mind of that and Sonic's speed can get really annoying. Most Sonics take advantage of the aerial part and the speed part since Snake is poor at both parts. What I do against them is to punish their missed attacks and machine gun jab. I can say that Sonic could be annoying with grenades just like most characters.

If you want to know more: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=5753487#post5753487
@kill: is Ricky giving you trouble? C4 on one side of the stage, camp the other side. Holding jab beats pretty much anything. Utilt beats everything at kill percents. Oversimplified, but that's the idea, anyway.

@Tero: I've only done it by knocking a shielding character off a platform with uair/bair/utilt. If the footstool works, it could be done from a mine or a risky read, also.
stated a few pages back.

xxTerminatorxx

Smash Journeyman
I take it everyone except Xeylode only knows Snake from Brawl...
Anyways, my strat is a few things:

- DACUS
- Grenade stripping and shield dropping grenades.

Sounds simple, but players may not expect it.

I take it everyone except Xeylode only knows Snake from Brawl...
Anyways, my strat is a few things:

- DACUS
- Grenade stripping and shield dropping grenades.

Sounds simple, but players may not expect it.
lol Everyone here has probably played more MGS than me. The only two I played were those two, and the first PSP one. The PSP one was not all that fun I thought.

I just shield dash a lot.

False

Smash Lord
NNID
Falsified
We talked about our love for MGS at least 2 times already in different eras within susas thread, haha

But yeah I'll talk about it again..

Snake eater: best one ever.
Gotp: meh.. online was the only fun thing
Rising: hype

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
Hey, I play MGS, too. Snake Eater may not be the best IMO, but was pretty legit.

Also, question, how heavily should I be using Snake's claymores? Is there a particular matchup(s) that I should be using more of it or less of it, or should it be, in general, a big or small part of my Snake play?

I just really never seem to know where to place them and hate trying to then not get blown up by them by accident, which happens once in a while, but still annoying. I'd like to work them into my setups, but I'm just not sure how to right now.

Any advice?

napZzz

Smash Hero
sometimes I question how useful snakes mines can really be, in matchups where the other character is more aerial based I'd rather not bother, it can limit snakes ground movement depending on your placing and get you ****ed over if you're laying it down right after someone dies, because on spawn they might just abuse the fact that they have invincibilty frames to come at you while using the mine to their advantage to limit your options and hit you(once again depending on where it is/what stage its on)

if anything I Prefer to use it inbetween kills just to hope people will go waste their invincibilty frames on it....if they dont I just stop doing it unless I can get results using it

as to where it should be placed, I think platforms are a decent place to put them actually, its up to what you'd like to do and where you feel comfortable with it

xxTerminatorxx

Smash Journeyman
Snake Eater and MGS4 are the best. I'm getting a PS2 for my Birthday just to play Snake Eater, MGS2, and I think PO if they have it for PS2.

MGS4 is really good, it's actually alot easier than it should be. I beat the game in 1 day the first time I played it. It took me 24 hours on Naked Normal (I obviously stayed up late just to play it).

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Mine on top platform of battlefield vs MK and marth is so sexy <3

and anywhere on YI platform...xD

It is useful for controlling where they can land. All about restricting dem options.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
Anyone know where I could find information on doubles partners with Snake? Or can anyone just gimme some tips for teaming with DK? I may be teaming with Will in a bi-weekly next week and figured I could get some info on it.

xxTerminatorxx

Smash Journeyman
Gotp: meh.. online was the only fun thing
You're kinda right. I never thought I say this, but GOTP gets boring after beating the game around 3 times. I don't have PSN hooked up yet but I'm gonna try the online mode to see how good it is.

I can't wait for a PS2

I use the mine when it's needed. Sometimes, I use it at the start of the match and leave it there for a long time until the opponent goes over it.

I meant the C4.

If we're talking about the down smash, I'd use it when the enemy is too far from me. Like... Really far. I'd also put a C4 with it. Maybe use a grenade from a far to make it explode

Top Bottom