• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OFFICIAL Sonic rFAQ! New to Sonic? Have a quick question? Ask it here!

chaoechidna

Smash Apprentice
Question. When momentum canceling, use fair --> downB right?
Well, what's the best thing to use for fair? I use the regular control stick in forward position and hit A to trigger the Fair, then go straight into the downB from there. But is it more effective to use the Cstick to get the fair, then use the control stick to execute DownB? Is there any difference at all btwn the two methods? I feel like i momentum cancel pretty well with all the other characters i use (space animals, ZSS) but they all have different aerials for momentum canceling (bair or uair, none use fair) and i use the Cstick for all of them. It works real well for them, but I always feel like my sonic's momentum cancel isn't working as well (perhaps since i don't use the cstick for him?), though it may just be a feeling and nothing more. Still, any help is greatly appreciated. thanks!

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
well, you shouldn't just fair, you should fastfall fair, that would require use of both the cstick and the joystick.

FF Fair > DownB

the best method is c-stick Fair, fastfall (joystick), then go to downb. cstick is usually the best option when using aerials anyway.

:093:

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Fair -> FastFall -> ASC.

Also it really doesn't matter, whatever makes you execute the Fair when allowed is better.

I would assume it would be more efficient to use the C-Stick to Fair and the D-Pad to DI correctly however.

Edit: I'm too slow, mah boi Camal's got ya covered.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Could someone link a video demonstrating how to use Sonic's d-air semi-spike efficiently? Or a step-by-step procedure on how to do it? I've been trying to use the semi-spike recently, but I've either sent them straight up, or have been attacked right out of it as they're recovering. I'd really like to know how to do this right.

Browny

Smash Hater
just hit them with the first part of the attack. its like falco/ness's dair, it only actually spikes the instant you use it, the majority of the attack sends them in another direction

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
just hit them with the first part of the attack. its like falco/ness's dair, it only actually spikes the instant you use it, the majority of the attack sends them in another direction
Yes. This guy is right...

Not sure about the majority of Ness' d air being the side way hit though.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
so refs picking up sonic?

why are you here on the boards, dont you live near malcolm? why cant you just learn from him?

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Malcolm's in NJ, not NY.

Don't know how close that is, regarding time anyway, of course the states are all like right next to each other in the AN.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
can't the semi-spike be completely avoided if you DI up...

just sayin', your opponent might be smarter than the average bear.

Tesh

Smash Hero
I have an old replay featuring a very odd stage spike and I was wondering if I could send it to someone here for a proper explanation. Basically Sonic vs. Pika on Smashville and the pika botches his recovery (its wifi) and winds up under the stage. Somehow I land a dsmash on pika from onstage. There is some evidence that smashville is just weird like this, but if Dsmash can hit people under the stage that would be.....pretty useful for anyone trying to fly under I hope.

I have a theory about smashville confusing the placement of hit/hurtboxes when people are touching the underside of the stage.

Anyway, can someone help me out here? I promise it won't turn out that I just accidentally cancelled Side B!

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
can't the semi-spike be completely avoided if you DI up...

just sayin', your opponent might be smarter than the average bear.

I never tried that, doest hat actually work?

I have an old replay featuring a very odd stage spike and I was wondering if I could send it to someone here for a proper explanation. Basically Sonic vs. Pika on Smashville and the pika botches his recovery (its wifi) and winds up under the stage. Somehow I land a dsmash on pika from onstage. There is some evidence that smashville is just weird like this, but if Dsmash can hit people under the stage that would be.....pretty useful for anyone trying to fly under I hope.

I have a theory about smashville confusing the placement of hit/hurtboxes when people are touching the underside of the stage.

Anyway, can someone help me out here? I promise it won't turn out that I just accidentally cancelled Side B!
Pikachu extends his hurtbox when he quick attacks. That might be why that happened.

If you still think it's something ridiculous, you can still feel more than happy to send it to somebody who can look at it themselves and tell you what happened.

I am just trying to give you an answer/save you the trouble of going through all that hassle and have something debunked with something very simple. I'm not saying it's like that but chances are it is.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Pika board guides have nothing about that, you would expect them to want to warn about that. Then again every board has awfully outdated guides. The distance from which he was hit still seems pretty large, if he can be hit from that far during quick attack, then....I need to knock people out of up B more.

Browny

Smash Hater
Of course DI will help survive the semi spike, but its still going to KO anyone without a good recovery, you can only change the angle by so much lol. Its still mostly horizontal knockback.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Pika board guides have nothing about that, you would expect them to want to warn about that. Then again every board has awfully outdated guides. The distance from which he was hit still seems pretty large, if he can be hit from that far during quick attack, then....I need to knock people out of up B more.
There may be other reasons.

*coughtryingtohidemetagamedevelopmentscough*

I'm not saying that that is the case, but being outdated may not be why information you're looking for is not anywhere to be seen (in places you would expect, like guides or something).

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
It is effective, but within moderation and correct use.

Not to be spammed.

Not to be abused.

Not to be underestimated.

Etc.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
You want to condition your opponent into reacting out of habit/panicking.

For example, say you like to run behind your opponent a lot from a run. After a while they'll expect you to do the same thing and try and attack behind. You will instead cancel your run into a SpinDash Shield-cancel and punish from there.

SpinDash Shield-Cancel also halts (most of) your running momentum, so do it a little bit before you end up in front of them, force them to throw an attack hoping they hit you, in which instead they will miss and you'll be right there ready to counterattack.

Again, you will have to get your opponent into a state of uncertainty. If they're just standing there and you're just using the SDSC (SpinDash Shield-Cancel abbreviated), you might as well just get in there and Dash Attack.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Hey Kinzer, can I send you that replay? Or anyone who might be able to tell me what it is?

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Do you have the replay on an SD card Tesh? You can just send it to me VIA AIM or any other file-hosting website like Rapidshare or Mediafire.

That would be a bit more convenient than having to do the whole process through the Wiicode system, but if you don't have any other way, I'll see if I can make it work.

Also ViCT, I think you were asking about a regular ol' SpinDash Shield-Cancel. :( This whole time I've been talking to you about applications from running. :/

If you want, while I'm already failing at giving the right advice, I can tell you a little bit more about the applications of canceling your SpinDash into a VSDJ (Vertical SpinDash Jump) and taking the mind@#$%ing/assault into the skies. There are also ways to use different SpinShot approaches/retreats, but they're a little bit harder to think about IMO. You might not even be interested in any of this.

Tesh

Smash Hero
I have an SD card in the wii, been in there since the day I bought it, nothing is on it though and this POS computer has no SD slot. Perplexing that there are USB slots on the wii and I cant save onto a USB drive.

I think I can save it only an SD card, put the SD card into my MP3 player, plug the mp3 player into the USb slot on the computer, create an AIM account and send it to you though.

Will edit in wii code and FC is that isn't possible.

Edit: 4900 1307 8524 6763
Edit: SD card sizes weren't even the same. *shrug* I could probably have tried my camera too but this computer just plain blows.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Oh, that sounds rather complicated, just give me your Wiicode, even though it will take a bijillion years and then some (and it might not even go through thne :mad:). :/

infomon

Smash Scientist
Anyone know the circumstances to pull off SDR> SDJ > Bair.
If you're having trouble actually performing this..... I know I usually tap up on the control stick to go into an SDJ from an SDR. (Even though I set tap-jump off, Up input still does the spindash jump :urg:). But if you want to get a Bair out, this is too slow. It is better to use the jump button, and then you can easily slide onto Backwards + Attack to do the Bair early enough that it hits them.

HTH

ViCTORiOUSViC

Smash Apprentice
NNID
vmp5511
Do you have the replay on an SD card Tesh? You can just send it to me VIA AIM or any other file-hosting website like Rapidshare or Mediafire.

That would be a bit more convenient than having to do the whole process through the Wiicode system, but if you don't have any other way, I'll see if I can make it work.

Also ViCT, I think you were asking about a regular ol' SpinDash Shield-Cancel. :( This whole time I've been talking to you about applications from running. :/

If you want, while I'm already failing at giving the right advice, I can tell you a little bit more about the applications of canceling your SpinDash into a VSDJ (Vertical SpinDash Jump) and taking the mind@#$%ing/assault into the skies. There are also ways to use different SpinShot approaches/retreats, but they're a little bit harder to think about IMO. You might not even be interested in any of this.
i already know about the VSDJ so that wont be necessary thanks
but the approaches id like to know about

BSP

Smash Legend
all right, what do you guys usually do to get kills with sonic? i got the damage racking fine, but it's finishing that hurts my game. any suggestions? And does anyone know a way to make spinshotting easier? i know the timing, but it seems so strict and i cant really do it consistently...

infomon

Smash Scientist
kills? Fsmash when the opponent makes a mistake, Dsmash on rare occasions where they're getting stupidly predictable with spotdodges.... but most commonly Bair.

Just don't ever let yourself get predictable with kill-moves. When Sonics start throwing out Fsmashes when the opponent's at 130..... sigh. Sigh because you won't kill at that % anyway, and sigh because Sonic simply won't land a kill move if he's being predictable (unless the opponent's just bad, but never count on that).

Just keep poking in little bits of damage when you know it's safe, and allow kill moves to kill when they can't be punished. Just IMO.... and not that I ever follow my own advice ;)

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
quick question infzy, i dont know why because i never had this problem before, but whenever i Fastfall a bair sonic automatically crouches during his landing which makes it hard for me to run and follow up. Or ill do a ff bair and attempt to iDA and sonic does a downsmash out of the crouching position. Any1 know the reasoning for that?

infomon

Smash Scientist
iirc normal landing lag is 2 frames, but fastfalled it's 4 frames. Regardless, if you're crouching it prolly means you're holding down too late. Are you playing on a laggy setup? or mebbe you're just reacting too slow (lulz).

Alternatively, it's possible that the buffering rules from landing-lag are funny. I actually think this is the case, since I also often Dsmash instead of iDA'ing. But maybe it's because we're both just doinitrong lol

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
well that would make sense, cuz it never happpen before. lol wow it was simply the case of me getting slower lol. thanx infzy and tenki. Quick question; i was rummaging thru old threads and i was wondering Tenki if you ever made a video displaying your spring "L-cancel" combos. i would love to see that epicness, i dont care if its situational. Also im trying to get that ledge cancel spring autoledge grab to work. Any suggestions?

mars16

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5429-8906-2115
Well I have to say about the Sonic priority stuff......his priority is kinda low I guess:laugh::laugh:

Top Bottom