• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OFFICIAL Sonic rFAQ! New to Sonic? Have a quick question? Ask it here!

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Air combo? Well I guess the Aerial Spin charge fits into that.

Charge DownB in the air, release while holding forward on the control stick. Hold forward after the first hit to get an additional hit then jump, your target should follow you. Now do any aerial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QMRTsGfy0c
8:11

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Another question, are you guys sure about the Homing stall being legit? Every time I try it, all my opponent has to do is come in range of the HA and spam side step. So yeah, any videos?

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
If you HA DIRECTLY underneath the level, nothing they can do outside of hitting you can stop you from stalling.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Another question, are you guys sure about the Homing stall being legit? Every time I try it, all my opponent has to do is come in range of the HA and spam side step. So yeah, any videos?
This implies two different problems though :/

a] If they're in range (no sidestep), then your HA will bounce left and right alternatively under the level, and it's considerably more difficult for you to control/recover.

b] If they're not in range (sidestep, etc), then your HA will bounce off the ceiling in the direction you're facing (you're in control). The only issue really is that your HA has to rise into the ceiling as it's charging. If you don't let it rise into the ceiling as it's charging, then you'll just fall (and in most cases, die).

It sounds more like you're having the 2nd issue, where you're not letting it rise into the ceiling during the charge.

:093:

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
If you HA DIRECTLY underneath the level, nothing they can do outside of hitting you can stop you from stalling.
This implies two different problems though :/

a] If they're in range (no sidestep), then your HA will bounce left and right alternatively under the level, and it's considerably more difficult for you to control/recover.

b] If they're not in range (sidestep, etc), then your HA will bounce off the ceiling in the direction you're facing (you're in control). The only issue really is that your HA has to rise into the ceiling as it's charging. If you don't let it rise into the ceiling as it's charging, then you'll just fall (and in most cases, die).

It sounds more like you're having the 2nd issue, where you're not letting it rise into the ceiling during the charge.

Alright, thanks guys.

why aren't the GD and Q&A threads stickied?
Because they don't need to be.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
At this point, its either espy or X

Personally, Ive been doing some really sick stuff lately but, i havent been to a tourney to test myself in a while

~TBS~

Smash Champion
Rolling around at the speed of Sound, Maryland.
Uh...something strange happened...

On YI, i was fighting Junebug's lucario and for some reason...the ISDR was beaten (I repeat) beaten by June's fully charged AS. What the heck happened to the invincy's? He had a pretty high % though...170 or somewhere around there. Is that really possible, or did i just jump too early? (This was wifi too)

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
could be you came out of the IF frames just as the AS hit. Dont forget AS at high % gives him alot of priority. And he was well over 168% his max aura level

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Hmm, it's not just me huh...?

I'll see if I can look into that today. I can't understand why AS would beat iSDR. Both seem to follow basic priority rules...

Tenki

Smash Hero
This is all theorycraft, but
Assuming that Lucario max AS does >10% than Sonic's SDR (depends on % and stale moves) -
Maybe you 'clanged' with it (sends you to the recoil animation) and then got hit during the recoil?

I mean it's possible for Sonic to clang in iSDR as long as he's on the ground. If you just want to see if it can be beaten by AS in general, then try doing the flying iSDR (rainbow cruise, Brinstar) and see if full charge AS can beat it.

I can't test anything on weekdays ;/

Tesh

Smash Hero
You sure you didn't just accidentally jump while it was hitting you? If I recall, no single hitbox can beat it, so unless AS grows a 2nd hitbox at some percent....

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
You sure you didn't just accidentally jump while it was hitting you? If I recall, no single hitbox can beat it, so unless AS grows a 2nd hitbox at some percent....
That's the same logic I used to say that this shouldn't work. Even if you somehow manage to create the single-most strongest hitbox available, it shouldn't be able to hit Sonic out of iSDR unless you either jumped out of it, or it has more than 1 active hitbox for the duration of the move.

This would explain why Tornado "beats" iSDR, even though in reality it just "clanks", puts Sonic back into neutral position, and for whatever reason Meta Knight doesn't stop his attack. I suppose because it's a special attack, not so much an aerial or following any of his other attacks' priority rules like the rest of his moveset minus Glide Attack which follows some kind of strange priority rule that lets you clank with it for some juicy punishment.

Tenki

Smash Hero
well, clangable attacks that deal > %10 damage don't just force a clang, but they keep going, too.

For example, if Marth tried to F-smash a grounded Falcon Punch (both single-hit attacks) and they both hit each other, Falcon Punch doesn't just force Marth to recoil, but it continues its attack and eventually hits Marth. This one I know from experience, because I've seen and done it lol.

So I'm thinking that Lucario was at a % that buffed his AS damage past the %10 threshold, and it overpowered the SDR, forcing Sonic to clang and get hit.

Tenki

Smash Hero
kinzer Requested Me To Try Isdr Against A Fully Charged Aura Sphere With Lucario At 200% Damage On Yoshi Island And If Lucario's Aura Sphere Is Fresh, It Will Out Prioritize Isdr With 27% Damage. If The The Aura Sphere Is Stale Enough, It Will Just Clank.
So I'm Thinking That Lucario Was At A % That Buffed His As Damage Past The %10 Threshold, And It Overpowered The Sdr, Forcing Sonic To Clang And Get Hit.
Yes I Woz Right.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
The one spins, and the other spins...with a hop or something idk it's not important.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Wow, that never actually occured to me that iSDR could be beaten by single hit attacks. I thought when a ground move was overpowered, it would not force a clang and therefore not end the invincibility.

So this is the same for DK then? Charge smashes can overpower these tricks?

saqer

Smash Rookie
A few questions:

1. How do you quickly cancel dair? I know that one way is to do Up + B and followed by Dair and you can roll out of that lag. Is there any other way?

2. How do you grab and keep hitting someone repeatedly? Opponents, especially computers seem to just escape my grab after the first hit.

3. When doing a fair 'screw' how do you prevent opponents from being knocked the opposite direction? So I'll be edge guarding and a little before they make it back I hit them with fair but they are knocked the opposite direction (towards the stage!?). Sometimes i can hit them and send them off but other times I can't.

4. When I'm trying to recover sometimes I have to do fair or bair after up b depending to gain more ground so i can grab the ledge. However, if I'm doing fair when I'm in close proximity to the ledge I'll miss it and just fall? Why is that? Is that normal?

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
A few questions:

1. How do you quickly cancel dair? I know that one way is to do Up + B and followed by Dair and you can roll out of that lag. Is there any other way?

2. How do you grab and keep hitting someone repeatedly? Opponents, especially computers seem to just escape my grab after the first hit.

3. When doing a fair 'screw' how do you prevent opponents from being knocked the opposite direction? So I'll be edge guarding and a little before they make it back I hit them with fair but they are knocked the opposite direction (towards the stage!?). Sometimes i can hit them and send them off but other times I can't.

4. When I'm trying to recover sometimes I have to do fair or bair after up b depending to gain more ground so i can grab the ledge. However, if I'm doing fair when I'm in close proximity to the ledge I'll miss it and just fall? Why is that? Is that normal?
1. Other than being hit out of Dair, there's no other way besides getting the right height.

2. You're being too slow, and you are also probably grabbing your opponents at a low %. If you find it hard to throw after you land a grab, start buffering your inputs.

3. Spacing. You hit your opponents backwards because You hit them from behind Sonic's spines, and/or your opponent SDI'd behind you. Time it so that you're hitting with the last coupel of hits, and unless they have God-like SDI (even then sometimes), no amount of SDI will stop them from going the way you want them too.

4. You are probably holding down on the directional pad. Doing that will not allow you to snap to the ledge, assuming nobody else has it occupied already. Either that or you're just timing it improperly. Then again, you're not really suppose to attack and snap to the ledge in the same sequence, so...

infomon

Smash Scientist
Can we Fair and ASCSC from a shorthop?
that would be lolz, just do that repeating whilst travelling backwards or forwards across the stage.

I'm sure we can't but from a fullhop we can but it's not as cool. hrrrrrrrrrrrm

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
You can't do that from a SH, IIRC

Ciro67

Smash Cadet
anyone know of any matches on youtube that are a good example of showing Sonic's invincibility stuff on Yoshi's story?

Kupo Rose

It's what my cutie mark is telling me ♫
Double post sorry x.x

Can we use the edges of FD into iSDR? Y'know when our SDR curves into the ledge or when we do a ledge-jump>SDR.

Or are they not invincible?

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Not invincible.

But you can wall jump under the lip of FD and Side B over the edge. It's some oldschool tricksies right thurr.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Double post sorry x.x

Can we use the edges of FD into iSDR? Y'know when our SDR curves into the ledge or when we do a ledge-jump>SDR.

Or are they not invincible?

You kinda need to be moving a little downwards (or have a slight enough angle to the floor) to cancel the hop into an iSDR (..by landing). You'd need a slope, so all that said, I don't believe you can iSDR on flat surfaces.

Kupo Rose

It's what my cutie mark is telling me ♫
Not invincible.

But you can wall jump under the lip of FD and Side B over the edge. It's some oldschool tricksies right thurr.

Ah okayy and lol, that's what I meant by the ledge-jump>SDR. >.<
I still can't do that trick D:

You kinda need to be moving a little downwards (or have a slight enough angle to the floor) to cancel the hop into an iSDR (..by landing). You'd need a slope, so all that said, I don't believe you can iSDR on flat surfaces.
Does this count as a slope? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cszIgDMsM5o&feature=related#t=00m15s
Just when he charged the SDR he did curve back a bit (it cancelled the hop?) and I'm not sure if this counts as a iSDR.

Tesh

Smash Hero
I don't think so SoniKupo. From what I can tell, he slid off because of the dash attack he did before, then he released and the ledge blocked him from moving forward, and he just happened to land at the height of the hop.

In any case, even if it did cancel the hop, doesn't it have to be cancelled in the first 4-6 frames (during the invincibility) to get extended frames on invincibility?

Top Bottom