• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OFFICIAL Sonic rFAQ! New to Sonic? Have a quick question? Ask it here!

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I thought it was something along the lines of completely skipping the Spin Dash Hop and going straight into a SpinDash Roll that causes the glitch.

Tenki

Smash Hero
I thought it was something along the lines of completely skipping the Spin Dash Hop and going straight into a SpinDash Roll that causes the glitch.
Likely.

I was messing around on Melee YI with Sonic and tried doing 'slower' iSDRs (tiny bit of airtime) so I got Sonic blinking but didn't get the invincibility. So the iSDR might have to be an 'instant' cancel.

Then again, I was trying to see if a iSDR uphill> momentum turnaround would still be invincible =/

Does this count as a slope? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cszIgDMsM5o&feature=related#t=00m15s
Just when he charged the SDR he did curve back a bit (it cancelled the hop?) and I'm not sure if this counts as a iSDR.
From what I saw, he dash attacked into the edge, then walked off and immediately did a reverse side-B (released it almost instantly) so that the hop hugged the corner. The apex of the hop was at ground level, so you didn't actually see the airtime.

Well, technically you did, it's just that he was touching the wall the whole time lol.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Is it still considered stalling to constantly use sonic's homing attack under the stage? Almost every single character can hit sonic while he is doing it so the game isn't made unplayable as stated in the rules. So if it's not specifically stated in the rules like IDC is sometimes, is it still stalling or "taking a defensive position" under the stage.

This is a serious question by the way.

-Axis-

Smash Journeyman
Is it still considered stalling to constantly use sonic's homing attack under the stage? Almost every single character can hit sonic while he is doing it so the game isn't made unplayable as stated in the rules. So if it's not specifically stated in the rules like IDC is sometimes, is it still stalling or "taking a defensive position" under the stage.

This is a serious question by the way.
I don't see why you would want to. You're just askin for a stage spike. And unless you're really good at b-reversals, your opponent can just keep dodging until you come up on either side.

Homing attack stall is really only useful if you somehow get caught under the lip of a stage like lylat and you know that you won't be able to reach the ledge with just your spring.

It's also pretty lulzy in sudden death.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Its not really B reversal, its a turnaround so the timing isn't very strict. Its not a completely useless way to stall in some matchups. Some characters probably can't even attack you under the stage without killing themselves.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
okay i have a question. Has any1 ever had their spin dash roll cancel on PS1 before? straight into neutral stance, without the stage change? I havent been able to recreate it, but it happened to me last week and i was wondering if any1 had any explanation. Also ive done a instant bair standing on the edge and i reappeared back on the edge. no jump, sonic just baired at virtually standing height. This one has happened to me probably 2-3 times. And i have no clue as to why it happens.

Lastly im sure this is known, but if u spinshot the ledge of a stage just right Sonic will end u right on the stage in neutral stance just like scarring. If u do it a tad sooner, Sonic will slide in neutral stance. Funny momentum is funny.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
@ the first paragraph,
need vids, i have no idea what you are talking about, nor have I ever seen it.

@2nd paragraph.
I had an old thread of sonic trix that i made a while back that talks about that move, I called it a ledgeshot.

Tesh

Smash Hero
okay i have a question. Has any1 ever had their spin dash roll cancel on PS1 before? straight into neutral stance, without the stage change? I havent been able to recreate it, but it happened to me last week and i was wondering if any1 had any explanation. Also ive done a instant bair standing on the edge and i reappeared back on the edge. no jump, sonic just baired at virtually standing height. This one has happened to me probably 2-3 times. And i have no clue as to why it happens.

Lastly im sure this is known, but if u spinshot the ledge of a stage just right Sonic will end u right on the stage in neutral stance just like scarring. If u do it a tad sooner, Sonic will slide in neutral stance. Funny momentum is funny.
You can do that on PS1 on every transformation.
There are alot of irregularities on the main platforms that allow you to cancel your SDR. Its kind of like on Corneria, where you just cancel a jump into a landing. Its actually the same as "ledgeshotting" (maybe you should just call it groundshotting?). Its most noticeable on the transformation with the burnt tree. If you didn't slide though, I guess you are talking about something else.

Otherwise, are you talking about how sonic's body bends around thin ledges (like lylat) before dipping below the stage? Or did you actually do a floating bair on a non moving platform?

Ciro67

Smash Cadet
Ok. So everybody times out a match at some point right I guess? I know I would against an Olimar, Wario camper, very gay MK etc.

Well when you're actually playing to time someone out, how do you all go about do it? Do you just spinshot around with the occasionally spring>dair?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
lots of spindash cancels and ASC cancels.

make it look like you are about to approach them and just never get around to it. applying lots of pressure from half the stage away if you get my drift.

basically just doing a lot of superflous actions that wont get you punished to draw their attention away from the timer. hit them with a dash attack every once in a while so they dont notice ur actually not trying to have confrontation.

Tesh

Smash Hero
How do you shield cancel a SDR? I've done it a few times after overpowering some projectiles but never on its own. Is this just the SDR "out of gas" but without the screech stop? I'm referring to a grounded spindash stopping directly into shield after hitting something. Can anyone explain that to me?

Tenki

Smash Hero
When SDR moves slow enough, the graphic changes and it looks more circular (kinda like an ASC). When it's that slow, you can shield cancel it.

When you hit things, apparently you slow down, so if you did something like say, no-charge iSDR on Brawl YI, went through Snake mine and a grenade, you'd probably slow down enough to shield cancel.

Same thing with hills.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I recently found out that Sonic's ASC can deal out more than 2 hits max.
I've made it to 3, but how?
I'm very confused, whenever i try for more than 2, it always hits twice and knocks them up and away from Sonic.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
It happens to Bowser, Rob and DK and if iirc it has something to do with where you hit them. What character were you playing against at the time btw?

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Sonic's ASC can hypothetically hit anything up to 5/6 times (however, this only works against bosses. Large characters only manage to get hit up to 3 times due to knockback).

Truthfully, because of DI and ASC/SDR/SDJ knockback, you shouldn't expect more than 2 hits on anything at maximum, even against the large characters.

You need to aim the ASC at a certain angle to be able to hit more than twice.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
It happens to Bowser, Rob and DK and if iirc it has something to do with where you hit them. What character were you playing against at the time btw?
King D3

Sonic's ASC can hypothetically hit anything up to 5/6 times (however, this only works against bosses. Large characters only manage to get hit up to 3 times due to knockback).

Truthfully, because of DI and ASC/SDR/SDJ knockback, you shouldn't expect more than 2 hits on anything at maximum, even against the large characters.

You need to aim the ASC at a certain angle to be able to hit more than twice.
Ah, thanks man, now i get it :)
It happened on SV when i was recovering, i did a SideB to hop, Jump canceled that, then ASC DownB just over DDD; Right over his head at the first hit.
But thanks man!

Trent

Smash Champion

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Jeez, I know both Dyslogy and Overdosage have accounts on smashboards (At least I know for sure Overdosage does, not sure about Dyslogy); however I can't think of Overdosage's Smashboards account. Dyslogy is Blapius, he used to hang around the Bluesteak Xat before it died off.

Give me a minute, I'm gonna look around the older posts, I know it's somewhere around here. If this post doesn't get edited I gave up.

Sagen Du Smash.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I noticed a lot of this guy posting on Sonic vids as well.
Nice to finally find out who he is >__>

Tenki

Smash Hero
this.
not knowing who it was was starting to irk me.
lol glad I wasn't alone. :laugh:

<3

-----

rand question:
You and your opponent are standing on a drop-through platform.

If dropping under, what would you do to attack/what benefits/perils are associated with those options?

ex:
Drop > instantly U-air
Drop > DJ F-air
Drop > DJ U-air
Drop > U-smash

etc

Uh, for the sake of consistent theorycraft, say, lower platforms in Battlefield.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Drop > SpinDash > DJ into any aerial not Dair? Okay maybe even Dair if that floats your boat.

I don't know, the hitbox on Spindash could poke if the shield isn't lowered and it could give people the false impression to counterattack (assuming they don't have anything fast).

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
Hi,

Long time listener, first time caller here...

What's the difference between Down B and Side B?
And is Sonic the best because he is the fastest?

Seriously though, Hi everyone, thought I'd drop in and say hello, it's been a while. How goes the Sonic board?

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
lol hay greenstreet.
hope life's going okay for you.
Sonic boards are being slowww
At risk of turning this into a social thread, life is good.
It's a shame it's so slow here, there's a lot of information/knowledge just hanging about.
Well I might mosey around and post here a little while, keep everyone company.

Edit:

I've clearly been gone a while..

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
Tenki id go for a drop> insta uair slightly di so u end up directly under the>buffered utilt. utilts hitbox will hit thru the platform and as long as u aim it the right way theres very little the opponent can do. It often shield pokes for me. otherwise a drop>uair>buffer sh fair works too.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
O and double post o so needed. Remember to charge that Spindash homies. im tired of ppl spindashing into smashes and crap when they could either a) pay attention, spindash smartly and avoid the punish or b) simply press b a few more times when u are going for a spindash to clang with most punishes and ull get the speed to make up for the extra b presses.

Also quick question if i SDR and hit my opponents shield then turn around by that time will i have slowed down enough to shield cancel my SDR? Is there anyway to set this up?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
@Greeny, dangggg its been too long son.

@syon, I dont think theres any way to consistently set up a rolling shield cancled spindash on any tournament legal stage aside from that one sloped line on pictochat.

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
holy crap

vids or greenstreet didn't happen

:093:
@Greeny, dangggg its been too long son.

@syon, I dont think theres any way to consistently set up a rolling shield cancled spindash on any tournament legal stage aside from that one sloped line on pictochat.
Yeah last time I was here for any amount of consistency was during the Great Sonic Spam War. Lost some good men..

I still play Sonic mainly, when I get the chance, study is a bit overwhelming of late though.

At risk of turning this into a social thread, how is everyone else's lives going?

Tenki

Smash Hero
syonryoken:
Keep in mind that if you do a turnaround, you uh, lose invincibility. Not so sure about slope-induced turnarounds though (ex: Melee YI). I know the spindash at least keeps its invincy flash, so maybe it is?

As for the situation where you actually hit things so you slow down:
Brawl YI (well, in my testing, I went through 1-2 Snake nades first).
Pictochat (similar situation)
Rainbow Cruise (if you do it on the pendulum platform while it's going up)
Grass part in PS1 (but some slopes speed you up, so.. meh)
GHZ

SDR also slows down with time, so if you hit something towards the end of an uncharged iSDR, then you might be able to shield cancel it.

の_の shield cancelled SDR is another strangely trivial/situational aspect of Sonic's game, if not only because in many cases that you can shield cancel consistently (Corneria, M:YI, GHZ for example), you can also just jump into the slope to cancel if you're moving near max speed.

TL;DR mode:
pretty much what KID said.

Yeah last time I was here for any amount of consistency was during the Great Sonic Spam War. Lost some good men..

I still play Sonic mainly, when I get the chance, study is a bit overwhelming of late though.

At risk of turning this into a social thread, how is everyone else's lives going?
Is fine.

However, we do have a social thread, it's the one next door labeled Sgd ;P

Browny

Smash Hater
dsmash has the potential to gimp people by itself if they DI downwards, it can send at a really low angle lol.

other than that its only really better (imo) for KO's if you camp peoples landing lag with it who cant move quickly through the air; the hitbox with KO potential last for a short while and will be strong enough to KO them if you fire it, they airdodge into the ground, then it hits them. Fsmash doesnt do this obviously with the single hitbox that only lasts a couple of frames

Top Bottom