• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OFFICIAL Sonic thread. (Keep it Brawl related, or suffer Xsy's/Xii's wrath!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Hopes, anyway.

I just hope if Sonic is in the new smash, they don't leave him with all this crap we have to overcome now.

Vorguen

Smash Champion
I guess it has been said and done much already but since I realized soon into the game that Sonic was not only not fun for me but a bad character overall I never bothered with him much, especially since Sonics never gave me trouble either in tourneys. So my question is, what are you referring to exactly?

His lack of KO moves? His low priority?

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
That, and his glitches and lack of fast moves that are worth anything (with the exception of Uair and a couple of other moves).

He can air-trip, and his D-Throw can be teched for crying out loud.

Vorguen

Smash Champion
Then why do you still bother to main him? I understand you don't have to main someone Broken like MK but there are many other options that would fit someone who plays Brawl competitively's playstyles. Again not saying you shouldn't, I am just really curious why Sonic mains stay Sonic mains.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Fanboyism.

He's fun.

H'es a MK without the broken.

Untapped potential.

A lot of people will have their reasons to play Sonic... while he is very limited, contrary to popular belief, he is still tourney viable... just barely though, but still counts.

Brawl is not worth playing if it isn't with Sonic... I play Sonic just because I like it when people get wowed when they see a Sonic beat a Snake or a MK or a G&W.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
You second Steak is what you second, boiah!

But seriously, I would be laughing so hard right now, if somebody out there mained Sonic just because of the community.

Sonic boards would be, were then, and still are too good.

I also forgot to mention that... some people just main Sonic because his playstyle works so well with the player.

Vorguen

Smash Champion
What is his playstyle? Run-away-really-fast-and-run-back-in-fast-enough-to-punish-a-mistake?

It can be due to the lack of variety of mains in my area but I really have yet to see a legitimate argument as to why Sonic is any good other than random "bUt h3 runZ s0 f4zT!!!!!"

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
What is his playstyle? Run-away-really-fast-and-run-back-in-fast-enough-to-punish-a-mistake?

It can be due to the lack of variety of mains in my area but I really have yet to see a legitimate argument as to why Sonic is any good other than random "bUt h3 runZ s0 f4zT!!!!!"
You play ROB, right?

What's his style? "I can camp really hard?"

Smooth Criminal

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
So, I yesterday I found some guy in a random chatroom at nhotspot.net. He was talking about winning a lot of tournies in his hometown. I wanted the challenge so I got him added, he was extremely annoying so I wasn't expecting to be impressed. Of we get in and guess what he picked Meat Nite on FD. (BTW I am so ****ING SICK OF PEOPLE PICKING FD ALLLLL THE TIME). Fortunately though I picked DK, the only character I invested the time to study the matchup vs MK, so I beat him by on my low % last stock.

Second match he picked zomg Marth on zomg FD again. I'd lost all intrest in that point so I figured I'd mess around in Sonic. He stood there waiting to approach, like any Marth would do. But instead of willingly jumping into his aerial and/or Dancing Blade lameness, I decided to spam side taunt, which made Sonic magically say "Ur 2 slowe!" and caption "I eat kittens!" at the same time. Don't ask how the blue mutant has many secrets.
My "plan" worked and he rushed in hoping to hit me in taunt lag. Sadly though he was too slow, and I easily ran past him to the other side of.... omfg this is too long why the hell am I making this story so long!

I 3 stocked him with spring kills all three times.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Who would have known Sonic would pull more fanboys than Link and Pikachu combined.
Almost all those fanboys left a while ago.

This thread only had 15k posts because it was alive for like 2-3 years (it was made before Brawl).

All our posts are generally from active usage of these boards, whether from spam or other things.

That's right, the 30 or so regulars at the Sonic boards are responsible for the majority of the 70k posts.

:3

lime_backwards

Smash Lord
You play ROB, right?

What's his style? "I can camp really hard?"

Smooth Criminal
Ahahaaha, Kevin, I have seen way too many ROBs like this,... hehehaheheha

But seriously, ROB is all wonky and such. Sonic is ok I guess... I dunno though. I can't use him to save my life anymore.

edit: Oh and Tenki knows his history of the Sonic thread it seems.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
IM BACK *****AZZZZZ!!!

but to be on topic, the only people who say sonic is bad havent played a good sonic. thats all there is too it, and add to that theres only in my mind less than 10 top level sonics. so if you havent played one, im not surprised.

just to put it out there. I heard Malcoms sonic took M2K to 3 games.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
just to put it out there. I heard Malcoms sonic took M2K to 3 games.
He did.

It's pretty steak.

No videos though, but whatever. Still quite an accomplishment.

PS - Welcome back :D

:093:

infomon

Smash Scientist
I realized soon into the game that Sonic was not only not fun for me but a bad character overall I never bothered with him much
I started playing Sonic for fanboyism. Errrr, more just the initial excitement of "holy crap they actually put in Sonic". I was also angry at Sakurai for making him such a bad character.

After a while (like over a month of practice with him o_O) I really wanted to give up; Sonic wasn't fun, and losing all the time isn't fun either. He's so limited and glitchy. I stayed because of sonicboards lolz.

Then I discovered how amazingly fun Sonic is to play. Switching to other characters is slow and tedious and boring; Sonic has a billion ways to move around anywhere really fast. Constant pressure...... or heck, Sonic's fun to play in training mode, just running about practicing all sorts of obscure tricks. Sonic would have made SSE fun, if SSE's physics didn't nerf Sonic (he's slower and heavier, wtf!?)

... but you have to know how to play him; all the spin cancels and jump-data details so you don't SD, spinshots and SDJs for speed/mobility... Spring and item tricks make for even more lolz.

Now with Sonic I feel more free and in control, than with other characters.

Edit: I lol'd at Kalm's story :laugh:

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
You second Steak is what you second, boiah!

But seriously, I would be laughing so hard right now, if somebody out there mained Sonic just because of the community.

Sonic boards would be, were then, and still are too good.

I also forgot to mention that... some people just main Sonic because his playstyle works so well with the player.
TBH, I play Sonic because of the Community lulz. There's living people here, and I kind of stumbled in here. I might as well stumble in on the Marth boards and be surrounded by people being totally gay and non-serial.
+ our community is too epic when it comes to discussing/finding things.
Steak is our driving force, winning it is what we achieve.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I started playing Sonic for fanboyism. Errrr, more just the initial excitement of "holy crap they actually put in Sonic". I was also angry at Sakurai for making him such a bad character.

After a while (like over a month of practice with him o_O) I really wanted to give up; Sonic wasn't fun, and losing all the time isn't fun either. He's so limited and glitchy. I stayed because of sonicboards lolz.
TBH, I play Sonic because of the Community lulz. There's living people here, and I kind of stumbled in here. I might as well stumble in on the Marth boards and be surrounded by people being totally gay and non-serial.
+ our community is too epic when it comes to discussing/finding things.
Steak is our driving force, winning it is what we achieve.
Wow. This is me too.

I probably would've dropped Sonic because of how bad I thought he was...but you guys kept me wanting to play him and we developed him to a point of where I'm now convinced he's tournament viable and my skills as a smasher have increased tremendously.

tl;dr - Sonic's learning curve is too high, lol.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
I haven't posted in a long time. Anyway, Sonic is a good character that, I believe, was overlooked because "he's fast." That's all some people see. A speedy character who can't do much besides run... He is a good character when you mess around with him for a little while.

I play wish Sonic because I wanted him in since Melee, and he was announced on my birthday. Coincidence? I think not...

infomon

Smash Scientist
^^ lol, how come so many of the unfamiliar-Sonics have such cool sigs? :laugh:

One of these days, I'm gonna make myself a cool sig. Mwaha.
NAO I'LL SHOW YOU

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
lol I just don't post much. I get on here a good bit. lol Thanks for the compliment on the sig, though. I believe the guy who made it is NEON666. I think.

Tenki

Smash Hero
What glitches does Sonic have? Normally glitches tend to work in a character's favor why have you guys been mentioning them as negative to Sonic's gameplay?
to egg you on, of course.

it isn't like we have a stickied thread on the subject.

We really should. Let's contact the mods about that.

------------------

in all seriousness, most of the stuff we do aren't glitches as much as they're exploitable game mechanics that might have been built in on purpose or something.

Multi-hit ASC, ASC shield cancelling, side-B shield cancelling, spinshot (aka running-speed instant-double-jump).

The closest thing we have to glitches are the airtrip glitch (which is ... easily avoidable) and the invincible spindash roll/airdash.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
And ASC sands for what again? Aerial Shield Cancel? I really can't figure that one out. =/
Aerial Spin Charge.

Basically just doing a DownB in the air. You can shield cancel the landing, which is known as ASCSC

Fun stuff, eh XD

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
Edit: I lol'd at Kalm's story :laugh:
Once I got to that point I cut myself off I already knew "crap nobody is gonna read this now" but by that point I was so tired I decided it would take less effort to just cut it off and put one more sentence than to actually EDIT it.

I just need to stop typing so much, at least someone enjoyed it. More than I could say for a lot of other boards I'd dare post it on.

I just went back and read that, last time I try to post a story at 4 am in the morning, the crap is riddled with typos. Good job expressing your satisfaction with it without actually praising me though, I'd hate to risk killing this thread again. =D

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Do we have a topic listing all of our acronyms?

There was one I don't think I even knew... don't remember what it was. It's not on the rFAQ though.
I don't think we have one ):

I've been thinking for a while that we need a new "tricksies" thread. Kinda like Toes', cept kept up to date, and stick all the acronyms in thar.

Or I could just throw them all into the moveset discussion that I'm editing right at this very moment lol.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Most (of not all?) of our acronyms are just from side-B / down-B mechanics. You can read Tenki's thread, or the video that ROOOOY linked, just watch it a few times and hopefully the acronyms will sink in :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom