• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
There's a chance of no SSB4. It all depends on what Sakurai feels like at the time he's asked.
Remember the president of Nintendo (I really don't know his name) said that if Sakurai didn't come on board for SSBB, the president would have just done a SSBM2. So obviously with or without Sakurai, hell or highwater, this franchise is going to continue.

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
I hate it when i read on this thread when people suggest that characters should be alt costumes. To me that is the single most stupid idea. When you play peach with daisy colors, do you honestly feel your playing daisy. When playing luigi with purple do feel like waluigi. In melee when you were yellow mario did you feel as if you were playing as wario. NO. so why do people still suggest this stupid Alt costume characters. I'd be fine with alt costumes if they pretained to the character, such as ness in his PJ's. Or Link in the zoras armor.

Also anyone think that they should ditch links boomerang and give it to toon link exclusivly, and give link shooting swords like fro the original?

mariofanpm12

Smash Ace
Let's face the facts for those doubting a SSB4.

Nintendo's not gonna' give up a giant cash cow like Smash just because Sakurai leaves.

I just hope they don't make any radical changes to the core formula if that happens. I like the %, boundaries, etc. factor. If health bars start popping up... i wont even mention it.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I keep hearing some people say, "Sakurai left," but yet I haven't got a soruce of this info. =/

D

Deleted member

Sakurai's a massive hypocrite - he left HAL to become a contractor, but he's basically only made more of the same games since then, which was supposedly why he left in the first place. He's a talentless hack, as far as I'm concerned.

Yoshi52

Smash Cadet
Before Brawl, people wanted a more in-depth story mode. It turns out that in-depth story mode (SSE) Sakurai put in was the biggest waste of time and effort. It also wasn't good.
Waste of time and effort? Plus not being good? I thought the SSE was one of the best things ever...

I hate it when i read on this thread when people suggest that characters should be alt costumes. To me that is the single most stupid idea. When you play peach with daisy colors, do you honestly feel your playing daisy. When playing luigi with purple do feel like waluigi. In melee when you were yellow mario did you feel as if you were playing as wario. NO. so why do people still suggest this stupid Alt costume characters. I'd be fine with alt costumes if they pertained to the character, such as ness in his PJ's. Or Link in the zoras armor.

Also anyone think that they should ditch links boomerang and give it to toon link exclusively, and give link shooting swords like from the original?
When I say "Alts.," I was thinking of two characters from the same team can be swapped on the Character Selection Screen by changing the colour to the other character. A hypothetical example being Fox and Falco. The Selection Screen would show Fox on the box thing, but by cycling through the colours enough, Falco will be shown as the character. Falco would still have his own moveset different from Fox's, but still have the same "slot" on the Selection Screen.

Though, that would only apply to characters who's movesets are the same. Then again, why even have "alts.?" It should only apply to Dr. Mario and other alternate outfits that are almost exactly like the character. I don't even remember why I posted that long paragraph...

I think a Young Link was in the first LoZ, but even so, having Link shooting those sword beam things would be a good reference to the old days.

Er, on a more on topic note:

- A character should only be KO'd if all of his/her Character Bubbles are engulfed by the KO Boundaries. I can't tell you how many times I've been KO'd because my toe touched the KO Boundaries.

(I have semi-good evidence that shows that Brawl uses Character Bubbles, not Hitboxes. Hitboxes are for side-scroller sprite games, like SMB)

Nick The Potato

Smash Apprentice
Sakurai's a massive hypocrite - he left HAL to become a contractor, but he's basically only made more of the same games since then, which was supposedly why he left in the first place. He's a talentless hack, as far as I'm concerned.

I guess your not a fan of the super smash brothers series then.

Or any of the kirby charecters.

Kraryo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SrirachaJoe
3DS FC
4124-5128-1575
Waste of time and effort? Plus not being good? I thought the SSE was one of the best things ever...
How is the SSE good compared to platformers such as SMB1, SMB2, the US SMB2 that's a Doki Doki Panic hack, SMB3, SML, SML2, the DKC trilogy, Genesis Sonic games, Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, Sonic and the Secret Rings, Super Mario Galaxy, the Sonic Advance games, and Donkey Kong 64? Heck, even games that are based off of TV shows are better than the SSE.

Calling the SSE better than a piece of poop is overrating it.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
How is the SSE good compared to platformers such as SMB1, SMB2, the US SMB2 that's a Doki Doki Panic hack, SMB3, SML, SML2, the DKC trilogy, Genesis Sonic games, Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, Sonic and the Secret Rings, Super Mario Galaxy, the Sonic Advance games, and Donkey Kong 64? Heck, even games that are based off of TV shows are better than the SSE.

Quoted For Truth.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master

I guess it's more comparable to a Kirby game (for obvious reasons). Kirby games are a lot easier than Mario games (though they can be frustrating at times), so I wouldn't really compare the two.

Then again, don't take my word for it; I haven't played SSE much. :ohwell:

KingK.Rool

Smash Lord
SSE is Sakurai trying to convert Smash into a Kirby game, except that the game's mechanics don't translate very well. Kirby games are addictive. The SSE was a chore to play through. They both had a lot of the same features, but the difference is huge just because Smash is a fighter, and not a sidescroller.

It was actually the biggest disappointment in the whole game, for me. Or the Stage Builder. Or maybe Online capabilities. I don't even know, really.

Roihu

Smash Ace
SSE is Sakurai trying to convert Smash into a Kirby game, except that the game's mechanics don't translate very well. Kirby games are addictive. The SSE was a chore to play through. They both had a lot of the same features, but the difference is huge just because Smash is a fighter, and not a sidescroller.

It was actually the biggest disappointment in the whole game, for me. Or the Stage Builder. Or maybe Online capabilities. I don't even know, really.
Would you rather have no online?
As far as I'm concerned online works perfectly as long as you and your opponent have good connections.
Everything else is crap, though.
SSE wasn't HORRIBLE, it's just that it wasn't good. Of course,
Opinions are opinions.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
I'm sorry to say SSE was actually enjoyable for me. But that's mainly because it gave me something to do on my own.

I would rather have more random "classic" 1P modes (Classic, All-Star), honestly.

However, I loved the concept of bosses. Those need to stay. Just in a smaller, more Melee-ish Adventure.

Also, unlockable areas for Adventure which make it longer, and unlock new bosses. :O

justaway12

Smash Master
i didn't like SSE but considering this was originally a fighting game not a platform it was alright, comparing it to games that are originally platforms is stupid it's like comparing home run contest or break the targets to wario ware inc.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
i didn't like SSE but considering this was originally a fighting game not a platform it was alright, comparing it to games that are originally platforms is stupid it's like comparing home run contest or break the targets to wario ware inc.
Exactly. It might have taken a lot of development time, but it was to give you something else to do in the game, just like everything else. I wouldn't have expected much different from a platform-based adventure from the guy who created Kirby games and Smash Bros..

Kraryo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SrirachaJoe
3DS FC
4124-5128-1575
The first Mario and Zelda games were all 2D, but they were all still good when they made their jump to 3D and had their game mechanics changed heavily.

Wario was mortal in the first two Wario Land games, but became immortal in Wario Land 2. Wario Land was still good when he couldn't get killed. It was still good when Wario could get hurt again and that you have to get back to the start of the stage before time runs out at the end of each level.

Those games have featured better transitions than SSE.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
The first Mario and Zelda games were all 2D, but they were all still good when they made their jump to 3D and had their game mechanics changed heavily.

Wario was mortal in the first two Wario Land games, but became immortal in Wario Land 2. Wario Land was still good when he couldn't get killed. It was still good when Wario could get hurt again and that you have to get back to the start of the stage before time runs out at the end of each level.

Those games have featured better transitions than SSE.
Smash Bros./SSE wasn't really 3-D though; it was still on a 2-D plane. They just stuck Smash Bros. mechanics and physics into the Kirby game formula instead of actually changing it.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
Yeah. Both Sakurai and Nintendo prefer to make casual games.

As long as Nintendo/Sakurai control Smash Bros, we can continue to see the competitive potential fall lower and lower until it's like playing Mario Kart tournaments.

Of course, this is what I have seen, so it's my opinion.

Also, I'd love to see them put back the possibility of enemies coming out of containers. >.>

D

Deleted member

SSE was repetitive; if it had more enemy types, branching paths and a less ****ty storyline, it would have been very good. It was too big a goal in the first place, to incorporate dozens of characters in coherent plotting. Really, the SSE should have just been each character fighting against their respective enemies or gathering together if that was not possible / for one final boss (Master Hand). The 'epic' scale of it all was probably because Sakurai was doom-mongering and figured this could be his last game, so why not have everyone bow to the power of his characters?

The best thing that can be done for SSB4 is taking Sakurai down from the directing role, or placing several other members of the team up there with him. We've done singleplayer - at the cost of multiplayer - no one wants another SSE. It's a freaking fighting game - it shouldn't be centred around a 'deep' storyline, especially with its premise. It's so stupid.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
hope nintendo focus more on competive play
but they don't -.-
When has Nintendo EVER focused on competitive play?

Smash was intended to be casual, it was out of sheer coincidence that it became competitive. The game we play, with limited stage choice, no items, and ATs is completely different than what Nintendo intended.

Smash is a hard game to balance between casual and competitive, because no other games were/are quiet like it. I'd hesitate to even call in a fighter, its so off the wall.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
When they made the Nintendo Puzzle games, (Dr. Mario, Yoshi's Cookies, and Panel De Pon just in case people forgot).
Oh my gosh Yoshi's Cookie! I used to love that game. But they weren't really "competitive" the way we use the term here at SWF, were they? I mean, you could compete against other people (right?), but you can do that in Mario Kart too.

PrepareYourself

Smash Ace
-Upside-down diagonal pieces in map builder
-More backgrounds

-Land to immediate duck
What this would do:
Zelda is on the ground. Peach is above her. Zelda uses her broken USmash. Peach fastfalls and airdodges. Peach lands and crouches where the hitbox cannot reach her. Peach uses DTilt.

:)

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Oh my gosh Yoshi's Cookie! I used to love that game. But they weren't really "competitive" the way we use the term here at SWF, were they? I mean, you could compete against other people (right?), but you can do that in Mario Kart too.
Well he said Nintendo, so I assume he was saying that Nintendo didn't focused too much on competitive play, and puzzle games are one of the most competitive under rated games.

IMO, Mario Tennis is the most competitive game I've ever played. No gimmicks whatsoever.
How could I forget Mario Striker's Charaged, and Mario Power Tennis. Those games are very competitive arn't they?

Kraryo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SrirachaJoe
3DS FC
4124-5128-1575
Mario Kart Wii can be competetive at a decent level too, because you can choose to get rid of item boxes.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Mario Kart Wii can be competetive at a decent level too, because you can choose to get rid of item boxes.
...Nintendo purposely got rid of snaking and other advanced techniques In Mario Kart Wii for the sole purpose of making it casual. You can turn off items in Smash, but does that really make it's competitive future a success?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom