• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Okay, Im going to adress every problem with my roster that has been brought to my attention,

Vaati: Simple, would you rather have had a clone Toon Zelda/Sheik or another form of link with wolf link? I may be a big Vaati fan, but i know three links is too much. And Clones arent my fave.

Captain Syrup: Okay, yes Ashley Mona and Kat and Ana are more popular than her. You got me there. I just prefer Wario Land over Warioeware.

4 Fire Emblem characterss: Lyn, Ike and Marth I think are reasonable, Black Knight was added in A. Because I like him, and B. because he is possibly nintendos most awesome (Looking) villain. He makes Ganondorf look like a grandpa and bowser look like a zoo animal. On top of that, when you look at the roster, their four doesnt look crazy out of place. It looks reasonable.

Krystal: You know how i feel their.

Balloon Fighter: Wasnt even on the roster, so we can end his discussion.

Bubbles: Out of all the "Retro" characters i simply liked her the best.

@BBQTV, just tell me how you feel about it. Dont show me some cuban guy in a suit and a sassy gay man.

BBQTV

Smash Master
starfy

bubbles

darksamus

captin syrup

im to dumb to tear your list to shreads so you'll just have to wait for someone smarter to do it

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
starfy

bubbles

darksamus

captin syrup

im to dumb to tear your list to shreads so you'll just have to wait for someone smarter to do it
Starfy, do some reading, his game did FANTASTIC in sales. Starfy makes perfect sense. Me and Toise himself have discussed starfy. So, I dont THINK he will view starfy's inclusion as a poor choice. Bomberman, well thats another story. Talking to Him is like Young Link Speaking to the Great Deku tree. He knows way more than I. o.0

Bubbles, Spydr went through this.

Dark Samus, understandable but again. Whats wrong with a bonus character? We dont NEED bowser jr. or toon link really, we dont NEED Diddy Kong. Bonus's are great :D

Captain Syrup, I just prefer her over WarioWare. Unlikely yes. But i know im not the only one who doesnt like Warioware.

On a different note, has anyone heard from Augustoflores? Is he no longer on the boards? He commented on this roster (saying good work, absorb all you can from smashboards *mega drain*) on deviantart but i havent seen him on here for a LONG time.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Wait. Maybe we do. I forgot that he basically is a huge part of the DKC storyline. But youget my point.

4nace

Smash Ace
So just today I realized that with the new powers of the 3DS, a handheld smash could not only be very viable, but also quite possible. I don't know if this is the right place, but here is my idea for what this game could be.

If I had to design the game, here is how I would go.

Smash Brothers 3DS

This game is the handheld version of Brawl. That means that it is a stripped down simpler version of Brawl with a smaller roster, less modes, trophies, items and general features. Smash Balls are also gone. The game plays very similarly to Brawl with almost identical physics, and the same movesets. Some of the techs are not possible and custom controls are gone. Items are the most distinct ones from Brawl with 1 or 2 new additions. The visual themes and the UI very closely resemble Brawl with most the characters looking very similar with less complicated meshes, but nearly identical texturing/lighting.

The game itself focuses around the handheld aspects of Nintendo, and features characters that are well-known for their Handheld adventures. Many characters that have been staples to the Smash Series are not represented in the 16 Character rosters.

Returning:

Mario -
After a strong showing on all of Nintendo's handheld systems, Mario is a shoe-in.

Wario -
With 3 successful Wario Land games and WarioWare owning the DS, Wario is here to stay.

Link
(Younger than Brawl Link) - Legend of Zelda has had amazing showing and Toon Link and Link have been combined into one Link character with the best of both.

Kirby -
Kirby has also had a very strong showing on every Handheld console. He gets a new side B with the Ball shape from Canvas Cruise as an Attack.

Samus -
Samus comes and shines from her Gameboy Advance adventures.

Pikachu -
Pokemon Yellow and many other pokemon credentials.

Donkey Kong -
With Donkey Kong Land one of the most popular Game Boy series, this monkey squeaks his way in.

Sonic -
With Sonic Advance the better half of the Sonic series past the Genesis, Sonic is back again, and quite soon.

Marth -
With Fire Emblem enjoying a great time on the GBA and NDS, Marth brings the glory of his series.

Squirtle -

With Pokemon blue one of the most memorable and popular handhelds of all time, this turtle is back with his own down-B.

New: (Nintendo)

Bomberman -
He finally arrives with a fun moveset inspired by his Gameboy Games.

Agahnim -
The Baddie in one of the gameboy's most memorable adventures.

Professor Layton -
As more of an advertisement for a new series than a deserving character, Layton uses his quick wits to outsmart opponents.

New: (Non-Nintendo)

Spyro-

With a strong showing on the Gameboy Advance, Spyro blasts his way into smash for his first (and most likely last) adventure.

Tails-
Tails makes his way out of the Background as a full fledged character thanks to his strong showing in Sonic Advance Titles.

Pacman-
In a surprise deal with Namco, Pacman joins the Brawl with all sorts of Zany attacks involving ghosts, pellets and more.

The stages come from mostly past game with 3 from N64, 3 from Melee and 6 from Brawl. There are 6 New stages including a frantic Tetris stage, a new Sonic Stage, a Pacman Stage, a new LTTP stage stage, and a Professor Layton Stage.

This is all fictional obviously. Just watned to see what you guys thought of the idea.
I may flesh it out more with a design doc and mockups if I am bored heh. As a game designer, just the idea of a handheld smash makes me feel all tingly.

Illusive

Smash Apprentice
Why would you leave so many characters out of a 3ds version? It could probably fit at least as many as melee, and possibly many more?

On another note, I think they should have the character roster, with 50 hopefully balanced characters with unique movesets, and then a bonus roster of god knows how many characters, most of which will be clones or not have full movesets, and with no attempt to balance them. The bonus characters won't be playable in normal vs mode, they'll only be playable in classic mode, all star mode, training and their own special vs mode. Some examples of bonus characters would be primids, alloys, wire frames, goomba, redead, pichu, roy. Essentially they'd be playable trophies (in fact, that's what they could be called). I don't see how apart from a character model, some sound and a few animations (which could be taken from other characters), it would take much space or effort to have a playable character in the game.

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
Starfy, do some reading, his game did FANTASTIC in sales. Starfy makes perfect sense. Me and Toise himself have discussed starfy. So, I dont THINK he will view starfy's inclusion as a poor choice. Bomberman, well thats another story. Talking to Him is like Young Link Speaking to the Great Deku tree. He knows way more than I. o.o
I'm not in the business of tearing wishlists to shreds or being anybody's Great Deku Tree. But I'd rather make a real post before I start back with Sakurai Blogs that no one reads.

Starfy's games have done pretty crappy. 300k or so at best and it's been sliding since then (the most recent in Japan was 125k).

But Sakurai doesn't care -- maybe doesn't know -- that much about sales. He knows who Starfy is and gave him some Smash exposure as an AT already. Not like he's an amazing candidate like Mac or anything, but the guy has a pretty decent chance compared to a lot of the names getting dropped around here.

Not gonna talk about the other characters since I don't like unwarranted roster nitpicking, but I will mention that Syrup has a better chance than a few people here give her.

On a different note, has anyone heard from Augustoflores? Is he no longer on the boards? He commented on this roster (saying good work, absorb all you can from smashboards *mega drain*) on deviantart but i havent seen him on here for a LONG time.
Might be news to you, but people tend to go outside/on vacation more this time of year.

@Spyder: Some of Sakurai's reasons were admittedly jokes. To be fair though, if he doesn't feel like a character is suitable for Smash then that's pretty much it.

I wouldn't even list Ridley there, though I'd rather save the specifics for later when the inevitable "f*** Ridley" argument shows up from... not Arc because he's probably not awake yet, someone else.

n88

Smash Lord
But I'd rather make a real post before I start back with Sakurai Blogs that no one reads.
Here, I was, seeing a new Toise post and expecting more of those Sakurai Blogs I've been reading.

Also, a Ridley fight seems to be developing. Oh joy. I'll contribute by saying that I would love to see Ridley make it in, even if he has to be scaled down a bit.

Also, if anybody's got any ideas for where I should advertise more for my poll, I'd be more than happy to hear them.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
ridley would be a good edition, but the slight problem of the fact that he's MASSIVE, unless something or other happens to him in metroid: other M that miracolously makes him smaller then he won't be in, shame because if we disregard that he very suitable for smash.

@toise: i've jsut twigged, is your avatar meant to be doc louis?

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Ridley fight? Oh noes!

Also Toise, I too am reading the Blog, just don't have comments. More a silent observer on the topic.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
I remember the time Sakurai mentioned Ridley, and even in there he mentioned that he was possible, so it probably shouldn't be counted. Also there's one distinct different between Ridley and BF, Bubbles, and UC, and that is that he's not a friggen retro character who hasn't been in a non-cameo/remake appearance since their initial game. While Sakurai's opinions could change for some of them, you also have to keep in mind that there's really nothing developing with the character that would change that, nor is there really much of a demand.

Also, if I was Nintendo, I'd try to mention Balloon Fighter as little as possible, given how it is a total rip off of Joust.

Oh yes, and the whole Ridley size debate has been so done to death that I don't know why people ever bother to bring it up....must be new people in here.

majora_787

Smash Hero
What Sakurai had said about Ridley shouldn't be counted, because the way he said it, it wasn't about why he WON'T BE in Smash Bros. He said that if his team worked on it, they could make him work, then asked if it was okay if he were slow, which would probably happen.

Also, Ridley being massive has nothing to do with him being in smash. People need to just let that logic drown itself. =\ Everyone and everything is resized somewhat for Smash Bros. ESPECIALLY villains. Size is not a factor in who gets in, and it never HAS been. What matters is, he's an antagonist in the Metroid Series with heavy fan demand. And he deffinately has experience fighting. He's not weird either, like Balloon Fighter or Excite Biker. (By weird, I mean in terms of their model. I won't lie, someone on a bike for the entire fight would be strange.)

But *anyway*... I would much rather have a console smash in 4/5 years with more characters, than have a handheld smash in 2/3 years with less than half the characters.

I mean sheesh...

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Wow BBQ...

THE FOLLOWING IS A SUPER MARIO GALAXY 2 SPOILER

Anyway about Bowser Jr., I think that the Boomsday Machine from Galaxy 2 would be a good Final Smash. Of course it should be a modified version--one that shoots out of the center of the stage. Only the tower form would be available, hence the reason why it erupts from the center of the stage like that green-haired assist trophy's skyscraper attack (Mr. Wright, right?). I'm going to try to give it many features in case the idea gets watered down into a B-Day Machine with more balanced features.

It will have 4 to 5 large columns with Jr. sitting protected in the top's glass exterior. The columns will feature a pattern: One with electric cannons and the other will have giant fans. The fans will have a suction feature that pulls everyone to the machine in order to get shocked. The cannons will shoot balls of electricity at the targets. At the bottom, there will be flame barriers on both sides of the machine that resemble the usual chain-link of flames that you see rotating in a Mario game. However these flaames don't rotate around the machine and can only be activated for a certain amount of time.

The machine will be embedded in the ground, allowing the tower to be used, NOT THE ENTIRE THING. When this is used on certain moving stages, the screen will stop (Rumble Falls, Mushroomy Kingdom for example) A few questions I have for all of you are these:

1. Should all of the listed features be available in the special?
2. Should the Machine be controlled by the player or act on it's own
3. Do you have a better idea? I would say Giga Bowser Jr. but I'm being serious.

BlueSuperSonic1

Smash Journeyman
The Boomsday Machine is certainly interesting, considering that's the machine you fought him in during the final Bowser Jr. Battle in Galaxy 2.
BTW, I've only seen discussion about characters. What about things such as the gameplay. I like Brawl, but when I first bought it, I felt it was kind of slow.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Gameplay? =\ All I could say about gameplay is, it should probably be at a speed perfectly in the middle of Melee and Brawl. Brawl is a little too slow aerially, but Melee is just ridiculous sometimes. <_<

Bowser Jr... I'd say maybe something involving an airship or something. I mean, every game I've played with Bowser Jr. in it, except Sunshine, he was in an airship of some sort.

I'd support your idea, but I don't know what you're talking about. I haven't played Galaxy 2, I was going to get in in a couple weeks when I get back from my vacation... xD Preferably without spoilers. Just saying.

I honestly think Bowser Jr. could make a nice addition to the roster, as well as Ridley, Isaac... Bomberman, I will never accept. I can accept Megaman as a possibility, but I will never accept Bomberman. He has left innumerable wounds on my childhood.

I'd be okay with Krystal too I suppose, as long as she doesn't replace anyone... But the thing is, despite what krystal fans seem to THINK, Krystal is not immune to time restraints. She could end up a clone of Zamus simply because of a similar frame... Well, a semi-clone, to be reasonable. Sakurai has been trying hard to avoid clones. And if that happened, I would feel like Krystal was a waste of a character slot.

I don't feel like I have to worry about the others. Bowser Jr. would be maybe PARTIALLY clone material, but he can't do several things that Bowser can... He can do the whirling fortress at best.

Isaac, I think he has plenty of potential toward an interesting moveset... And Ridley, Ridley is good to go I'm sure. ESPECIALLY if they use the Omega Ridley version from Prime 3. But I doubt that, with Other M coming out and all.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
LOL--WHAT A COINCIDENCE! I was just bringing up the same thing a few days back. The others mentioned that it always comes back to characters no matter what.

My other post:

Sigh, you guys all seem to talk about characters and characters and characters. Is that the only thing that matters in Smash? What about new game modes or special matches (special melee/brawl)? Aren't there event matches that you would love to see in the new Smash? They could have some optional matches that are unlocked based on the way that you play, like one where you face an ambush from your secondaries as you use your main. According to the match's description, they're attacking you because THEY aren't your favorite.

Or what about one when you play as the Pkmn Trainer and you use your pokemon to bring down the wild ones? The wild ones are usually the ones that you find in pokeballs during the regular matches. And at the end of the fight, you either make it faint or throw a trophy stand at it. This could work as a way to unlock more pokemon for regular fights.

And maybe there can be an event match where you fight assist trophies. Having an actual battle with them is the closest they'll get to playable.
EDIT: My apologies Majora. I'll warn for spoilers in case someone else reads that without knowing.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
i had said that i was going to make a megaman x moveset animation but i am just too **** lazy... i havent even started.

i wasn't on vacation... just too lazy to butt in where i don't need to, this is really just a re-clarification...
let me do something for fun... i had always wanted to do this... (don't judge me)

well, that was pointless... oh, well.
*smoke bomb*

majora_787

Smash Hero
No problem, BirthNote. =P I only read what you said until I saw "from Galaxy 2" then just stopped. xD

I'm trying to be more spoiler-evasive for games I plan on getting. =P I want to do that with SSB4 too.

Melee was, more or less, a surprise. When I got the game, I knew maybe half the unlockable characters.

In Brawl, when the huge leak came out, guess what I did? I watched the leak. xD

I'm sure I'll like Galaxy 2 and all other games in the future more this way. =P

ToonNess64

Smash Rookie
first of all, did Peach ever actually fight or know how to fight before she was added in?
Peach actually did fight allot alongside Mario in the first Mario RPG and Super Mario bros 2. Before smash bros even existed

You should ask this question about Zelda and Sheik, who, most of her move sets where taken from Link's magic items, and Sheik technically never fought in Ocarina of Time only her "Vanish" move was used in that game. >_>

The only move Zelda has from the games, is the Light arrows, and yet its only her final smash.

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
Here, I was, seeing a new Toise post and expecting more of those Sakurai Blogs I've been reading.
Also Toise, I too am reading the Blog, just don't have comments. More a silent observer on the topic.
Oh sweet. I just figured if anyone was reading it, they would've had to have made some comments by that point.

By the way, from now on I'll be using orange for any posts that are marked "character-related" but I can't figure out who the author is referring to. Today's posts have too many of them for me to ignore. The entire previous 120 had only one that I couldn't figure out.

Anyway, new ones:

Posts 121-130

121. Loves the new Pit design, asks for some KI music (mentions Underworld and Skyworld), asks for Takamaru
122. Author's name is listed as Phantom Wings, isn't that a guy here? Anyway they suggest having Sakurai as a character
123. Asks for Captain Olimar and Pikmin, in fact they wrote "Pikmin" every other word
124. Asks for Cuccos from Zelda, assuming they mean as an item like Mr. Saturn (which means you all know how they'd work)
125. The post is marked as character-related, but it sounds like they're just talking about how much they love EarthBound as a game rather than anyone in particular
126. Another "thank you so much" letter; this is one of those ones that's marked as character-related but doesn't have any names, which means it's either lost in translation (pretty likely if it's a Pokemon name) or some fans don't know how to properly label/write letters

127. Excited for the game and for Snake
128. "Sakurai is too self-indulgent wwww" (yeah lost in translation or just trolling, but fun Japanese fact: w = lol)
129. Pretty long Ridley post, compares him to Bowser and King Dedede in that he's actually evil instead of just usually a jerk
130. Think they're asking for a huge Great Fox stage (like Sector Z compared to Corneria), also says something about balance but I'm kinda lost here; SamuraiPanda translation says the post and Sakurai's response are about how some attacks are intentionally weaker than others for the sake of balance

Posts 131-140

131. More life stories and general praise for Smash
132. Talks about the Bunny Hood, asks for some item from Golden Sun and a Piko Piko Hammer (squeaky toy hammer that appears a lot in Japan)
133. Think they're talking about how the Wii doesn't have a memory card like the GC (so it's harder to bring your save to a friend's house) but it might just be babbling, pretty sure people knew about the Wii's flash drive back in May 2006 though
134. More excitement about growing up with Smash, excited for Meta Knight
135. Probably asking for the Ballad of the Wind Fish from LA, but the way it's written reminds me of this little number
136. Talks about Zelda and her lightning kick for a bit, hopes Brawl looks beautiful
137. Asks for some Animal Crossing stuff (post is listed as character-related but no names seem to come up), suggests a stage with moving furniture and residents (which I assume they mean like the automatic backround stuff in Smashville)
138. Really long post that's marked as character-related but again I'm not seeing any names; either I need a big list of EN>JP names to scour over or these people are just really vague (probably the former)

139. Mentions Nazo no Murasame and what I assume is Takamaru (says "falcon," but Takamaru's name is translated "hawk" from Google, and yeah it might just be Captain Falcon but they usually spell his name out fully), asks for DeMille from Tomato Adventure
140. Talks about playing with lots of different people and I assume they're saying that playing to win can sometimes take the fun out of it; Sakurai's response seems to reiterate his "fun is #1" mentality that he talks about for a bit in Iwata Asks (google it son)

SamuraiPanda translation thread linkage

Also gonna toss out the old thread that tallied these names (the inappropriately titled "Sakurai's poll" thread); there's a good chance that the character posts I can't decipher include someone from that list. Or it could be total crap, who knows.

@toise: i've jsut twigged, is your avatar meant to be doc louis?
keep your eye on the prize, son

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
I'm trying to be more spoiler-evasive for games I plan on getting. =P I want to do that with SSB4 too.

Melee was, more or less, a surprise. When I got the game, I knew maybe half the unlockable characters.

In Brawl, when the huge leak came out, guess what I did? I watched the leak. xD

I'm sure I'll like Galaxy 2 and all other games in the future more this way. =P
I feel the same way. When I got Melee, everything was a surprise to me. As I unlocked and battled hidden newcomers, it was always a surprise. I remember unlocking Marth and Roy and thinking "who the hell are they?" I remember unlocking Mr. Game & Watch and I had no idea what to think.

But in Brawl, its totally backwards. First of all, it was spoiled for me which is partly my fault. But the thing is, it wouldn't matter anyway, because less than half of the newcomers are hidden and two of those hidden newcomers (Snake and Sonic) were spoiled anyway. I never got the rush of excitement or suspenseful feeling I experienced after unlocking a character in Melee. Furthermore, in Melee, you actually had to do some more work to unlock characters.

FURTHERMORE, in Melee, you actually had to work to unlock characters. Of course it would be easy enough if you knew the methods used to unlock the characters, but if you didn't, then unlocking them wouldn't be so easy. But in Brawl, you don't even need to know the methods for unlocking the characters to have most of them (maybe not Jigglypuff, Toon Link, or Wolf) in less than a week. I wish it was more like Melee...

Here is what I want to happen in regards to SSB4:

1) This is mostly my part, but avoiding any spoilers to get the same surprise/suspense/excitement I experienced with Melee. Never had that feeling with Brawl, and I miss it.

2) Most of the newcomers hidden. I don't want to open up the game to see most of the surprises spoiled at that one point in time. I want to work for the reward of getting a newcomer.

3) Hidden characters should actually require work to unlock. In Brawl, most characters could be unlocked in less than a week. Luigi, Marth, and Captain Falcon are each unlocked simply by playing Classic. Ness is unlocked by playing 5 Brawls. I could go on...

Does anybody else want to see this is SSB4?

Jaklub

Smash Journeyman
I feel the same way. When I got Melee, everything was a surprise to me. As I unlocked and battled hidden newcomers, it was always a surprise. I remember unlocking Marth and Roy and thinking "who the hell are they?" I remember unlocking Mr. Game & Watch and I had no idea what to think.

But in Brawl, its totally backwards. First of all, it was spoiled for me which is partly my fault. But the thing is, it wouldn't matter anyway, because less than half of the newcomers are hidden and two of those hidden newcomers (Snake and Sonic) were spoiled anyway. I never got the rush of excitement or suspenseful feeling I experienced after unlocking a character in Melee. Furthermore, in Melee, you actually had to do some more work to unlock characters.

FURTHERMORE, in Melee, you actually had to work to unlock characters. Of course it would be easy enough if you knew the methods used to unlock the characters, but if you didn't, then unlocking them wouldn't be so easy. But in Brawl, you don't even need to know the methods for unlocking the characters to have most of them (maybe not Jigglypuff, Toon Link, or Wolf) in less than a week. I wish it was more like Melee...

1) This is mostly my part, but avoiding any spoilers to get the same surprise/suspense/excitement I experienced with Melee. Never had that feeling with Brawl, and I miss it.

2) Most of the newcomers hidden. I don't want to open up the game to see most of the surprises spoiled at that one point in time. I want to work for the reward of getting a newcomer.

3) Hidden characters should actually require work to unlock. In Brawl, most characters could be unlocked in less than a week. Luigi, Marth, and Captain Falcon are each unlocked simply by playing Classic. Ness is unlocked by playing 5 Brawls. I could go on...

I'd love if they wouldn't reveal the hidden things (advertising unlockable characters on the box - WTF). I don't think it's gonna happen, though.
I agree that unlocking characters in Brawl is ridiculously easy (I was surprised that after few battles I got Ness), but 20 total hours of playing VS for a character is a little too much.

DekuBoy

Smash Lord
They need balance. The minimum requirement for a character should be medium difficulty in a game mode, and the maximum to play 150 matches maybe.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104

1. I have to admit that it was nice. I had no idea who Marth, Roy (well, who did anyway?), and Mr. Game and Watch were and I was happy to see Young Link playable.

2. This oh so much. We had around five of the unlockable characters being newcomers. Everyone else was a previously unlockable character.

3. In theory, you would be able to obtain all the characters in a 24 hour span, even in Melee.

I got another idea from BlazBlue, and I think this could be an interesting one that will finally bring the combo game back and where it doesn't look like an odd form of juggling from Tekken:

You can also find this in Tatsunoko vs. Capcom so if you've played that, you'll know what I'm talking about. In both of these games, you can cancel select normals into other normals moves, typically in a series (ie. A -> FTiltB ->DTiltC). I wonder how this could work in SSB. It's not a too difficult concept to understand (to me at least) and you'll have beginners feeling great that they can pull off what is usually considered difficult to do to begin with.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Actually, Marth and Roy were spoiled as well as Young Link. But that was it. I still didn't know who they were. xD

But on the other hand, it was a real Rofl-Copter to see Mr. Game & Watch's challenger silhouette and then enter a fight. I was like, "Wow. That challenger silhouette probably took two minutes to make."

Mewtwo? <_< Oh my god, I loved Melee when I unlocked Mewtwo. But 20 hours of gameplay? That's a little much.

The characters were pretty easy in Brawl, and it was interesting for them to all show up in Adventure Mode. However, I doubt that'll happen again. I wish there would be something like this...

1. Play so many versus matches. Jigglypuff at 50, Luigi at 100, and go on from that in intervals of 100 or 50 or something. I liked that.

2. What I call the R/e system, or the Rival/ego system. Let's say Ridley were playable, the challenge would be to complete a challenge with Samus.

3. Unique Challenge. For Sonic, let's say a character has to walk or run 100 miles ground distance. For Falco, it's 100 man brawl if I remember. Stuff like that.

But now it's like, you have all characters in 450 versus matches, or all but 3 after taking a few hours to do the SSE.

Actually, are the extra characters counted in percentage? Or do you have to get them to join in order to get 100%?

Also, a friend told me-- Is it possible to throw every fight you go to against an unlockable character, and unlock them in reverse order? Or do you have to fight them in actual match unlock order?

Smasherx74

Smash Journeyman
SUPER SMASH BROTHERS *NAME* (4)

This is how I want it to be...

All basic characters move are back to the way they were in SSB64. The B-Forward moves are same as melee. Hitboxes are Smash64 related. Wave dash tech, Z cancel, Tant cancel, Massive DI.

Characters

Full Melee roster, New brawl characters (besides sonic and snake), Megaman, Bowser JR, Goron, Zoron, Boo, Waluigi, Toad, Isai and what ever else seems cool

Character boosts

Metaknight's B is like Link's SSB64 UpB only non-stop for 5 seconds. (lol)

Kirby's Fair is drill again but this time it has no knock back

Adult Link Up B is like SSB64's Up B

Kid Link Up B is like Melee's young link up B

Gameplay

NO BACKWARDS LEDGE GRABS

NO 100FT AWAY FROM LEDGE TO GRAB IT (SSB64 style ledges got to actually get close to it)

No tripping

Items (for fun)

OUT
No smash balls

NEW
Flood (sense mario's moves should be like in SSB64 flood will be a item for everyone)
MasterBall (sends rare pokemon 100% of time out)
Brawl disk (you throw it. Epic.)

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Nononono no thats what i loved about melee, not only were every single character a suprise, but it took quite some time to get them. I liked the fact that you were forced to play twenty hours to get a character. It made unlockung him that much sweeter.

Idk, but it seemed like most of the unlockable characters in brawl werent newcomers. I think Toon Link, Sonic, Snake m Wolf and Lucario were the only unlockable newcomers. Where in Melee, everyone but Jiggs and luigi were necomers. Hopefully half the roster is unlockable. Ex: 48 characters, 24 or 20 you start with seems more than reasonable.

The less you know about the secrets, the better the game. And thats where i went wrong with brawl. I have a feeling most of us wont be on the boards when we hear of leaks!

Smasherx74

Smash Journeyman
I want a SKILL based smash again. Not some glitchy unstable one or one thats super fast and normal falls from short hop are like Fast falls. I want a new ssb64.

SSB64 > SSBM > SSBB

Now where do we wont Number 4?

SSB* / SSB64 > Melee > brawl

thats what we want. We want a skill based smash game. How competitive it is, is what will make it fun.

Smasherx74

Smash Journeyman
the problem with smash 64 is the the controller is horrible
Thats why I provide custom gamecube analog stick n64 controllers when I have people I'm playing with. Always got 4 on me with Japanese smash64 and american smash64 and a N64.

Edit: I got 2 blue ones a red one and a silver one. I use the red one.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
1. Play so many versus matches. Jigglypuff at 50, Luigi at 100, and go on from that in intervals of 100 or 50 or something. I liked that.
I liked it that way too. Brawl is so random (going from 5 matches, to 10 matches, to 22 matches [22... WTF?]) and my OCD can't handle it. I liked how Melee went in intervals of 100 after going from 50 to 100. Look at this though:

WHITE = Melee Hidden Characters
RED = Brawl Hidden Characters

5 matches ~ Ness
10 matches ~ Marth
22 matches ~ Luigi
50 matches ~ Falco
50 matches ~ Jigglypuff
70 matches ~ Captain Falcon
100 matches ~ Lucario
100 matches ~ Dr. Mario
130 matches ~ Snake
160 matches ~ R.O.B.
200 matches ~ Ganondorf
200 matches ~ Pichu
250 matches ~ Mr. Game & Watch
300 matches ~ Sonic
300 matches ~ Falco
350 matches ~ Jigglypuff
400 matches ~ Toon Link
400 matches ~ Marth
450 matches ~ Wolf
500 matches ~ Young Link
600 matches ~ Ganondorf
700 matches ~ Luigi
800 matches ~ Mewtwo
900 matches ~ Roy
1000 matches ~ Mr. Game & Watch.

Basically, one Melee character is unlocked for aout every three Brawl characters that are unlocked. That is a bit unbalanced. It shows that unlocking Brawl characters is way to quick and easy, which it shouldn't be. I'd pick the Melee way any day personally. However, with Melee's 11 hidden characters and Brawl's 14 hidden characters, I'd expect to see more in SSB4 with a bigger roster, and playing nearly 2000 matches to unlock every character would be maybe just a bit too much, so intervals of 50 would do for me. Like this:

50 matches ~ ???
100 matches ~ ???
150 matches ~ ???
200 matches ~ ???
and so on...

Here is what I wish Brawl's hidden roster looked like:

There are still 14 hidden characters. Pokemon Trainer, Olimar & Pikmin, Wario, Pit, and Meta Knight are the only starting newcomers.

50 matches ~ Jigglypuff
100 matches ~ Luigi
150 matches ~ Diddy Kong
200 matches ~ Lucas
250 matches ~ King Dedede
300 matches ~ Ike
350 matches ~ Ganondorf
400 matches ~ Mr. Game & Watch
450 matches ~ Snake
500 matches ~ R.O.B.
550 matches ~ Lucario
600 matches ~ Sonic
650 matches ~ Toon Link
700 matches ~ Wolf

Ness, Captain Falcon, Marth, and Falco are not hidden veterans anymore and are instead replaced by Diddy Kong, Lucas, King Dedede and Ike, some of the many (TOO many) starting newcomers. There are only four hidden veterans instead of eight. There are five starting newcomers instead of nine. More than half of the hidden roster is newcomers, instead more than half being veterans.

I would enjoy Brawl much more this way.

Also, I don't know about that reverse order for unlocking characters thing, but I wouldn't doubt that it is possible.

Nononono no thats what i loved about melee, not only were every single character a suprise, but it took quite some time to get them. I liked the fact that you were forced to play twenty hours to get a character. It made unlockung him that much sweeter.

Idk, but it seemed like most of the unlockable characters in brawl werent newcomers. I think Toon Link, Sonic, Snake m Wolf and Lucario were the only unlockable newcomers. Where in Melee, everyone but Jiggs and luigi were necomers. Hopefully half the roster is unlockable. Ex: 48 characters, 24 or 20 you start with seems more than reasonable.

The less you know about the secrets, the better the game. And thats where i went wrong with brawl. I have a feeling most of us wont be on the boards when we hear of leaks!
Agreed about Mewtwo. I'm a gaming masochist, the harder it is the more fuin it is. I want to spend time with my game and be rewarded for it, and Mewtwo was definitely worth it. You can spend quite a while with Melee and be rewarded, but less than a week after playing Brawl and you've got every character already (excluding 3 of them, possibly).

The Brawl Hidden Newcomers were Lucario, R.O.B., Toon Link, Wolf, Snake, and Sonic, but Sonic and Snake were spoiled anyway. So that leaves four surprises (if you didn't spoil it for yourself), and its not like you had to work for your prize anyway.\

And totally 100% agreed with your last statement. I think there should be a spoiler free thread of some sort. But otherwise, yeah, I'm staying away from this place and other websites!

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I have a feeling most of us wont be on the boards when we hear of leaks!
LOL, I was coming back to this thread to say the same thing :laugh: .

Also, I read what someone came up with on this thread's earlier pages about Special Throws, and I think THAT'S a good idea as well as cancelling Smash Attacks. Now, moving onto something else...has anybody ever thought about the idea of Super Smash Attacks? It's not an idea that I'm taking seriously and it is just a suggestion at the most. Think about it: we already have Smash Attacks, but not Super Smashes. The series is called Super Smash Bros, so I think that Smash Attacks of this level should be in. It could be the middleman of each character's smash, like this:

Final Smash>Super Smash>Smash Attack

I'm not taking the idea too seriously, which is why I haven't made solutions to things like
1. How can it be used/activated?
2. Is there only one S. Smash Attack as opposed to 4 regular Smashes?
3. What exactly does this Super Smash Attack do for each fighter?

This is just a suggestion that wasn't thought of too well. Opinions?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I have a similar idea from the SF series where we have Super Specials. At a cost of a meter, and pressing A+B, you perform a stronger version of that special. Sometimes, it may be an entirely different attack. You can use your meter (like an RPG) for this or save for your Final Smash.

Unfortunately, Smash players have never been all that kind to a super meter (I can't really understand why, it's basically a limit break).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom