• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
:3 Well this was a fun Ridley conversation, hm.

I'll just say before we wrap this up, Sakurai himself said... And this was before the Roid Ridley... that they could make him work. With this new beefy humanoid form, stuff just got simpler.

I vote to bring Roy back provided he has a new moveset. I also nominate Bowser, Falcon, and Zammy.
I don't think they could actually pull it off (void Roidley) but I suppose we can agree to disagree.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I don't think they could actually pull it off (void Roidley) but I suppose we can agree to disagree.
No offense whatsoever, but that version of Ridley is pretty humanoid... If he were resized, that would be all that's needed.

It seems like you just really don't want Ridley in smash, which is a little... Well, I don't want to say ignorant or something drastic like that, but Ridley certainly deserves a spot on the roster, which is really what counts. Again, no offense intended.

But yeah the conversation won't go anywhere. So. I'm just gonna say one thing: Pokemon Trainer should be separated more, as should Samus and Zamus.

You can't switch between Samus and Zamus well at ALL, when technically, I think Samus could do that well enough. I'd say the difference between her and Zelda doing it is, Samus would probably just get Super Armor, and not be invincible mid-transformation.

Also, the Pokemon Trainer... You shouldn't be forced to switch between pokemon like that, I know my roommate likes Ivysaur a lot. It must be really annoying to have to cycle all the way back mid-fight to stay Ivysaur.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
No offense whatsoever, but that version of Ridley is pretty humanoid... If he were resized, that would be all that's needed.

It seems like you just really don't want Ridley in smash, which is a little... Well, I don't want to say ignorant or something drastic like that, but Ridley certainly deserves a spot on the roster, which is really what counts. Again, no offense intended.

But yeah the conversation won't go anywhere. So. I'm just gonna say one thing: Pokemon Trainer should be separated more, as should Samus and Zamus.

You can't switch between Samus and Zamus well at ALL, when technically, I think Samus could do that well enough. I'd say the difference between her and Zelda doing it is, Samus would probably just get Super Armor, and not be invincible mid-transformation.

Also, the Pokemon Trainer... You shouldn't be forced to switch between pokemon like that, I know my roommate likes Ivysaur a lot. It must be really annoying to have to cycle all the way back mid-fight to stay Ivysaur.
I understand Ridley deserves a spot (though I wouldn't count zamus as a non-entity), but I feel regular ridley, while humanoid, is to skeletal, disjointed, awkward to make him a reasonable character. Roidley however, posseses possiblities, depending on his final form.

As for Pokemon Trainer, agree'd.

I think A samus -> Zamus transformation ala taunt would be sufficient.

LucasKing

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1934-1139-2255
Ok in the next game I hope too see alot of new things that alot of good ol' fans have been wanting too see from the start! now im not going to rant about new charaters because we all now what people want Geno (saddly that will never happen DARN YOU SQUARE!!!) but anyways your know the master collection or what ever (the mode were you can play old school games) well I though that that was stupid I mean oooohhhh I get too play super mario bros for a whole minute sounds like fun! that thing seemed like add for virtual console games so replace that and put in all the me-lee stages or 64 stages talk about AWESOME! Now also different skinks for the characters! now I am not talking about super smash bros 4 dress up edition! I mean like... uhhhhh you know how wario is right you can be old school wario and wario ware wario! ok so go too this link if you dont know what Im talking about http://rlk89.com/gameinfluence/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/wario_071224d-l.jpg
so lets do this with all the characters! Like instead of having shadow in ssb4 we can have sonic and just have a diiferent skin too look like sonic! so lets see another example! Peach can turn into daisy or something! come on use your imagination! Ok also the intro can and could be better instead of over 90% of it being clips from subspace use an actual theme like from SSBM! And yes get rid of doubles or make them different! and also make adventure mode fun too play a 2nd time! also if they make ssb4 on the Wii then here is a wonderfull idea use a mii character! Thats all im going too say and I dont want too start a fight just saying :D

majora_787

Smash Hero
The thing they have now is really hard to pull off. They need something better. I don't know WHAT, but...

And I don't count Zamus as a non-entity, but I count her as a half. Samus is Samus. Just like Link and Toon Link, or Link and Young Link. They're the same, even if they are different. I mean, all it is is the ability to play as one character in two styles.

NeverFiniteX

Smash Apprentice
In all seriousness, what's new fellas? What keeps this place jumpin? Well besides, whether or not Ridley would work or not...

I've noted something about nominations, forgive me for my lazy query and no research standpoint, just for the sake of communication, what's that about?

Oso

my bad about the greetings, I doubted that anyone would respond to that post. Should I ask about the MK Ban thing? Just something fun to experement with or what?

Oh and by your own reasoning, what makes him broken. I have my opinions, I just want to know if there's something that I missed.

Just something I'm curious about, if anyone's interested:

Have we met a legitamate vertict on the main topic of this thread? Perhaps the Pieman can hook me up, my impression of you has been that you tend to be pretty well read and descriptive.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Hey guys I am making a brief return from my absence (I plan to return again next week when Metroid Other M is released, so that I can put my two cents in regards its prospects for Smash 4), in order to give you this tidbit.

I recently put up a poll on the Anniversary Abode forum about whether the cut Melee veterans should return. Since you are all into Smash 4, I think you guys should have a look at it. Remember, you can vote for as many of the cut Melee characters as you like.

Here is the poll:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=284830

As to the characters I voted for, I picked Mewtwo, Roy, Dr. Mario, and Pichu.

Also, I vote to keep Roy in getcoolaid's roster poll. I also nominate Mewtwo, Dr. Mario, and Pichu.

SuperMetroid44

Smash Lord

Heh heh. I support Ridley as well. I think of him the same way as Bowser, Bowser was shrunk, so I don't see why Ridley can't. =P

And also I support Metroid for SSB4. :D

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
The thing they have now is really hard to pull off. They need something better. I don't know WHAT, but...

And I don't count Zamus as a non-entity, but I count her as a half. Samus is Samus. Just like Link and Toon Link, or Link and Young Link. They're the same, even if they are different. I mean, all it is is the ability to play as one character in two styles.
As for Ridley- Alright then.

Haha funny you should phrase it like that because I consider the two links different), but I do understand what you are saying about Zamus. My lack of caring on the matter probably stems from my indifference to the Metroid series.

Interesting fun fact: Young Link (the one used in melee from OoT) grows up to be the Link in Brawl (Twilight Princess) and the Link from Melee (OoT) is the spirtual successor to Toon Link (Wind Waker)

Tl;dr/ Too confusing

Melee Young Link -> Brawl Link
Melee Link -> Brawl Toon Link

Ct.O.B.

Smash Apprentice
Interesting fun fact: Young Link (the one used in melee from OoT) grows up to be the Link in Brawl (Twilight Princess) and the Link from Melee (OoT) is the spirtual successor to Toon Link (Wind Waker)

Tl;dr/ Too confusing

Melee Young Link -> Brawl Link
Melee Link -> Brawl Toon Link
I thought Melee Young Link was a grandpa to Brawl Link, cause of the gap between OoT and TP. But this isn't the thread for that, is it?

On topic, Metroid definitely could use more rep in the next game. It probably has the least representatives for one of the top Nintendo series.

SuperMetroid44

Smash Lord
Young Link was great. It would be nice to bring him back so we could have the ORIGINAL Link's (SSB64) movest. Though then that would be 3 Links... so I don't think it'll work. =P

And that is true, Metroid needs more people. Zero Suit Samus really isn't another Metroid character, just another form for Samus. =P /statingtheobvious

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
Day 6, 37 spots left:
So, it looks lke we want roy back, soooo
SSB64:Mario, Link, Samus, Pikachu, Fox, DK, Yoshi, Kirby
SSBM:Roy
SSBB:Lucus

Scrapped Characters: (none decided)

Character of the day:
We've decided(****, only two votes decided this) that we'll be voting on Captain Falcon today. So,

Captain Falcon:

Cast your votes, and nominate 3 SMASH VETRENS, newcomer voting has not started yet.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Part of the Triforce of Manliness: Chuck Norris, Captain Falcon, and Bang Shishigami. Keep him.

Also, you need to stop mentioned learning curve or how good they are in the game. The last one is really just a product of how poor the balance in Brawl is. He could easily be top tier in the next game.

Sheik, Falco, Pit

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
Yeah, I should prolly stop the Pro-con thing

Edit:...Edited, cuz we all know everything I say in that section anyway

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
What's the point of these nominations and polls? I know you guys will just end up keeping everyone from Melee and Brawl in SSB4 anyway. :p

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
What's the point of these nominations and polls? I know you guys will just end up keeping everyone from Melee and Brawl in SSB4 anyway. :p
If I had my way, there'd be plenty of cuts...but your right, the majority will probably keep everyone. Alhough it does spark individual character discussion...which is good...

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
Well, I suppose it keeps the conversation changing, instead of one character being discussed for a month.

majora_787

Smash Hero
How ironic. If I had MY way with smash, there would be NO cuts. Ever.

Instead of throwing stuff out, I'd rather see the broken things be FIXED. Also, when something is not broken to begin with, i.e. Mewtwo, it doesn't need to be fixed OR thrown out. Just tweaked for the next game.

majora_787

Smash Hero
This is just speculation at this point.

Diddy K, Wolf, and Luigi
It's not really even that. A fighting game series is really only capable of an "ending" if it is plot heavy, while Smash Bros is all fanservice.

The only way SSB4 would NOT happen is if Nintendo decided they didn't like their fans, OR their fans' money.

Because Smash is a great way for them to make money and please their fans. It's effectively guaranteed SSB4 will happen eventually.

EDIT: And sure, Sakurai said he didn't want to make another smash. He said that after MELEE. Whether he means it or not this time is up in the air, and even then, it doesn't matter. Nintendo would just make a new Smash Bros. team if they really had to.

Ct.O.B.

Smash Apprentice
The only way SSB4 would NOT happen is if Nintendo decided they didn't like their fans, OR their fans' money.

Because Smash is a great way for them to make money and please their fans. It's effectively guaranteed SSB4 will happen eventually.

EDIT: And sure, Sakurai said he didn't want to make another smash. He said that after MELEE. Whether he means it or not this time is up in the air, and even then, it doesn't matter. Nintendo would just make a new Smash Bros. team if they really had to.
When it comes down to it, give them what they want. We want more Smash, it's a pretty general consensus, so if they want money instead of angry letters, SSB4 is inevitable.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
So, I was just looking at the maps of the Mother series for stage ideas... and so far, I really like Magicant from Mother 1, Threed from Mother 2, and Tazmily Village from Mother 3.

Magicant, at least the Mother 1 version, seems to take place in the sky. The battle would take place on the roofs of Queen Mary's Castle a la Princess Peach's Castle in Melee. The castle itself seems to be built out of conch shells. The castle is also surrounded by spiral pillar-like shells. The castle is also on the clouds... and there seem to be buildings made of conch shells. Palm trees also grow on the clouds and there are some bridges between clouds. There is even a moat surrounding the castle. It would be like a cross between Melee's Princess Peach's Castle and Brawl's Skyworld. Anyway, the main stage could have small clouds that serve as extra platforms that disappear when you stand on them for too long, a la SSB's Yoshi's Island.

Threed is from Mother 2 and I really think that it would be an excellent replacement stage of Melee's Onett. It could even be like Brawl's Smashville where you have the day/night cycle. During the day, cars would speed across the street like Melee's Onett but at night, Urban Zombies would walk along the street and possibly attack characters like Melee's ReDeads did. You can knock them out, of course. There would be some circus tents and circus wagons and the graveyard in the background to make it clear that even though the stage looks similar to Melee's Onett, it is really Threed.

Tazmily Village from Mother 3 would be Lucas's hometown. I picked it because I wanted a stage with a Wild West theme. The battle would take place on the rooftops of the two buildings in the town square. The characters can even battle on the slanted roof and the bridge between the two buildings, too. The background would show some log cabins, wooden buildings, and the well all built in the Old West style!

*Z*

Smash Rookie
Keep Captain Falcon, plus keep Mewtwo, Young Link, and Dr. Mario.

Those characters were awesome!
Mewtwo-Nothing wrong.
Young Link-Just change his moveset.
Dr. Mario-Also change his moveset, but keep his Pill throwing.

LUVTOY77-ROGUE WIREFRAME

Smash Champion
A (short) wish list of characters I'd like to see in the next installment of SSB.

Banjo & Kazooie. Rare went to Microsoft, they'd never allow it, blah blah blah. I don't care about that. Any fan of BK would LOVE to see them in the game, despite it being nigh impossible now. ;)

--Mumbo-Jumo as a playable character or AT.
--Grunty as a playable character or boss.
--Klungo as an AT, boss, or stage cameo.

Crash Bandicoot. I haven't visited the series in for freaking ever, but he used to be a gaming icon. :/ Invite him to the party. :)

--Neo Cortex as a boss (or playable character if he could be given a good moveset?)
--Tiny as an AT/boss.

Spyro the Dragon. Once again, he used to be a gaming icon of sorts. Bring him in for some fun. :)

--Note: I know very, very little about the Spyro series (even less than Crash Bandicoot) so I'll just leave it at that.

Rayman. Same as the above two. Used to be great. Invite him!

--Rabbits could be ATs or adventure mode enemies (or both).

Megaman. I don't know a lot about him, but he seems pretty G.D. popular.

--An AT and second playable character would be nice.

Tails, Knuckles, Shadow, and Eggman. I KNOW this many 3rd party reps wouldn't get in,but I listed all of the most probable/deserving (personally, I'd say 'to hell with Shadow, Knuckles was there first AND is way more cool). It's up to everyone else to decide which--let's say two--make the cut. I listed Eggman as well mainly because I support the concept of one villain per series if possible. Anyway, whoever doesn't make the cut could be AT's/boss's (mainly Eggman as the boss.)

Dixie Kong and King K. Rool. Despite what a lot of people say, King K. Rool is most certainly deserving of a spot on the roster, even though this will most likely never happen due to Nintendo's apparent hatred of the Kremling King (they never do him justice in the games anymore, if he's even in them >.>). A lot would agree Dixie is desserving.

--Funy Kong as an AT would be more appropriate than being a playable character.

--Perhaps Lanky or Chunky Kong as an AT as well. (Tiny is just too similar to Dixie; she's great and all, but one of the other kongs as an AT would provide the series more diversity within the Smashverse.)

The character from "Drawn to Life". I think that'd make an intersting "WTF" character (and more modern, which--sorry--may stray a bit from the traditional retro "WTF" characters.).

Krystal from Star Fox is the only other Star Fox rep. I could think of as a PC. Peppy or Slippy just wouldn't work IMO.

--Arwing (Peppy or Slippy?) as an AT.
--Andross as a boss as well as his normal AT spot.

Ridley as a boss or PC. Or both. I see no reason why he couldn't be given a boss moveset and boss-like stature for the adventure mode.

Bowser Jr. He is very deserving. 'Nuff said.

--Toad, IMO, would work better as an AT. But if someone can come up with a decent and reasonable moveset for him, more power to the Toad!

Grey Fox. I think that was his name. The AT from Metal Gear Solid. He looks like he could get a decent moveset going.

Waluigi. Don't hate me.

Hmm. That's all that I could think of at the moment.

P.S. Sakurai is a flipping ****** if he thinks that extra characters wouldn't add to the quality of the next game. A crap load of GOOD characters and a crap load of GOOD stages will make the game tons and tons better.

Also, don't make everyone/thing so dang easy to unlock. Brawl was pathetic. Melee hit it spot on. (Bring back GOOD events like in Melee, tambien!)

That's all for now.

OH YEAH! And: Frogger (from the PS1 game, Frogger: He's Back!) incorporated in some clever way as an AT or a Frogger stage would be awesome ^.^ (Once again, this is a wish list. ;) )

Ct.O.B.

Smash Apprentice
A (short) wish list of characters I'd like to see in the next installment of SSB.

Banjo & Kazooie. Rare went to Microsoft, they'd never allow it, blah blah blah. I don't care about that. Any fan of BK would LOVE to see them in the game, despite it being nigh impossible now. ;)

--Mumbo-Jumo as a playable character or AT.
--Grunty as a playable character or boss.
--Klungo as an AT, boss, or stage cameo.

Crash Bandicoot. I haven't visited the series in for freaking ever, but he used to be a gaming icon. :/ Invite him to the party. :)

--Neo Cortex as a boss (or playable character if he could be given a good moveset?)
--Tiny as an AT/boss.

Spyro the Dragon. Once again, he used to be a gaming icon of sorts. Bring him in for some fun. :)

--Note: I know very, very little about the Spyro series (even less than Crash Bandicoot) so I'll just leave it at that.

Rayman. Same as the above two. Used to be great. Invite him!

--Rabbits could be ATs or adventure mode enemies (or both).

Megaman. I don't know a lot about him, but he seems pretty G.D. popular.

--An AT and second playable character would be nice.

Tails, Knuckles, Shadow, and Eggman. I KNOW this many 3rd party reps wouldn't get in,but I listed all of the most probable/deserving (personally, I'd say 'to hell with Shadow, Knuckles was there first AND is way more cool). It's up to everyone else to decide which--let's say two--make the cut. I listed Eggman as well mainly because I support the concept of one villain per series if possible. Anyway, whoever doesn't make the cut could be AT's/boss's (mainly Eggman as the boss.)

Dixie Kong and King K. Rool. Despite what a lot of people say, King K. Rool is most certainly deserving of a spot on the roster, even though this will most likely never happen due to Nintendo's apparent hatred of the Kremling King (they never do him justice in the games anymore, if he's even in them >.>). A lot would agree Dixie is desserving.

--Funy Kong as an AT would be more appropriate than being a playable character.

--Perhaps Lanky or Chunky Kong as an AT as well. (Tiny is just too similar to Dixie; she's great and all, but one of the other kongs as an AT would provide the series more diversity within the Smashverse.)

The character from "Drawn to Life". I think that'd make an intersting "WTF" character (and more modern, which--sorry--may stray a bit from the traditional retro "WTF" characters.).

Krystal from Star Fox is the only other Star Fox rep. I could think of as a PC. Peppy or Slippy just wouldn't work IMO.

--Arwing (Peppy or Slippy?) as an AT.
--Andross as a boss as well as his normal AT spot.

Ridley as a boss or PC. Or both. I see no reason why he couldn't be given a boss moveset and boss-like stature for the adventure mode.

Bowser Jr. He is very deserving. 'Nuff said.

--Toad, IMO, would work better as an AT. But if someone can come up with a decent and reasonable moveset for him, more power to the Toad!

Grey Fox. I think that was his name. The AT from Metal Gear Solid. He looks like he could get a decent moveset going.

Waluigi. Don't hate me.

Hmm. That's all that I could think of at the moment.

P.S. Sakurai is a flipping ****** if he thinks that extra characters wouldn't add to the quality of the next game. A crap load of GOOD characters and a crap load of GOOD stages will make the game tons and tons better.

Also, don't make everyone/thing so dang easy to unlock. Brawl was pathetic. Melee hit it spot on. (Bring back GOOD events like in Melee, tambien!)

That's all for now.

OH YEAH! And: Frogger (from the PS1 game, Frogger: He's Back!) incorporated in some clever way as an AT or a Frogger stage would be awesome ^.^ (Once again, this is a wish list. ;) )
I agree with all of this, the only thing i'm unsure of is Waluigi as a character, due to so little attention/feature in the games he actually is in. But all of this seems right.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
So, I was just looking at the maps of the Mother series for stage ideas... and so far, I really like Magicant from Mother 1, Threed from Mother 2, and Tazmily Village from Mother 3.

Magicant, at least the Mother 1 version, seems to take place in the sky. The battle would take place on the roofs of Queen Mary's Castle a la Princess Peach's Castle in Melee. The castle itself seems to be built out of conch shells. The castle is also surrounded by spiral pillar-like shells. The castle is also on the clouds... and there seem to be buildings made of conch shells. Palm trees also grow on the clouds and there are some bridges between clouds. There is even a moat surrounding the castle. It would be like a cross between Melee's Princess Peach's Castle and Brawl's Skyworld. Anyway, the main stage could have small clouds that serve as extra platforms that disappear when you stand on them for too long, a la SSB's Yoshi's Island.

Threed is from Mother 2 and I really think that it would be an excellent replacement stage of Melee's Onett. It could even be like Brawl's Smashville where you have the day/night cycle. During the day, cars would speed across the street like Melee's Onett but at night, Urban Zombies would walk along the street and possibly attack characters like Melee's ReDeads did. You can knock them out, of course. There would be some circus tents and circus wagons and the graveyard in the background to make it clear that even though the stage looks similar to Melee's Onett, it is really Threed.

Tazmily Village from Mother 3 would be Lucas's hometown. I picked it because I wanted a stage with a Wild West theme. The battle would take place on the rooftops of the two buildings in the town square. The characters can even battle on the slanted roof and the bridge between the two buildings, too. The background would show some log cabins, wooden buildings, and the well all built in the Old West style!
Here are the videos of these locations.

Magicant and Queen Mary's Castle.

Threed.

Tazmily Village - look out for the buildings I just described at 3:05.

NeverFiniteX

Smash Apprentice
It seems that open ended questions are the only things that garner attention around here, as I thought to be effective. Would I be safe to assume that you (ElPanandero) are the main (for lack of a better term) upbringer of these polls? If so, state your intent. I will clarify my statment only after you have given me sufficient information.

JOE!

Smash Hero
I consider the roster important as well. You need to have all sorts of playstyles to satisfy different types of people. In fact, after seeing her in action, I think I finally found my main in BlazBlue with Makoto because she fits my style: Rushdown, mixups, and mindgames. In fact, I'd like to see a character with this style in SSB4.
his name is Fox Mcloud, he's been here since 64 methinks...

and possibly Sonic too

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
his name is Fox Mcloud, he's been here since 64 methinks...

and possibly Sonic too
The thing is, I'd probably play Fox more if he didn't sink like a rock in Brawl. Sonic just feels unwieldy to me. What I was referring to was a character that naturally had different followups to certain attacks. El Fuerte has inherent and self-made options out of his dash. Likewise, Makoto has mixups in her dash. I'm not saying that we should have a speedy character that has options coming out of a run, but actually a character whose playstyle is affected by DI. You guess right, the combo continues, if not, you risk punishment.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
It seems that open ended questions are the only things that garner attention around here, as I thought to be effective. Would I be safe to assume that you (ElPanandero) are the main (for lack of a better term) upbringer of these polls? If so, state your intent. I will clarify my statment only after you have given me sufficient information.
Nah brah, you got it wrong. There is a huge roster project going down guided by gettocooaid and a recent thread by chronobound on the fallen 5.

I have simply partaken in these projects, as well as engage in a ridley discussion with majora.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom