• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Bleh, maybe its because of my mood about the group of annoying people who wanted X in MvC3, but I don't particularly want X in SSB4. Its classic or bust, guys! Who's the version of MM who was there at the start of the NES? Who is the version of MM that just had two new games released recently, and is going to have a third released soon too? Who's the one who everyone regards as the classic version? Why its Classic Mega Man!
On top of that they could integrate his moveset from Marvel vs Capcom and Power Fighters, similarly to Sonic and his Sonic Fighters.

forward tilt could be his horsekick (MvC), up tilt his side upper cut (MvC), down tilt his side kick (MvC). Up smash would be his "Mega-shoryuken" (MvC&PF), forward smash his power punch(PF), and down smash his leg sweep(MvC).

Up special: Beat
Standard Special: Megabuster
Down Special: Weapon Change
Forward Special: Rush Power

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Sorry for going off topic but here's my fanboyish wish list regarding Assist Trophies for SSB4. :p

Old Assist Trophies from Brawl I want playable in SSB4:
- Isa (he is basically Saki in different clothes with a jet pack added in)
- Little Mac
- Matthew (he is basically Isaac in different clothes as far as we know)
- Starfy
- Tingle

Old Assist Trophies from Brawl I want to return in SSB4:
- Andross
- Devil
- Excitebikes
- Hammer Bro
- Infantry & Tanks

- Jeff
- Kat & Ana
- Knuckle Joe
- Lakitu & Spinies
- Metroid

- Mr. Resetti
- Nintendog + Cat (replaces Nintendog)
- Samurai Goroh
- Starly (replaces Starfy)
- Waluigi (he doesn't deserve to be playable)

New Assist Trophies I would like to see in SSB4:
- Anthony Higgs
- Balloon Fighters (as NES sprites)
- Birdo
- Bubbles (from Clu Clu Land)
- Captain Rainbow

- Chain Chomp
- Cuccos
- Dog & Ducks (if they aren't playable)
- Donkey Kong (as a NES sprite who throws barrels even though Donkey Kong is also playable)
- Eggplant Wizard

- Frog (from Excite Bots)
- Harry (from the Virtual Boy game Teleroboxer)
- Krystal (if she's not playable)
- Line Attack Heroes (I think they could be interesting somehow)
- Lip (from Panel de Pon)

- Masked Man (from Mother 3)
- Mike Jones (the hero of the StarTropics series)
- Pak E. Derm (the armless elephant holding up a stop sign from Yoshi's Story)
- Phantom (possessed by the ghost of Toon Zelda just like in Zelda: Spirit Tracks)
- Pokemon Ranger (he appears with Ukelele Pichu by his side and he uses his PokeAssist ability to summon one of six random legendary Pokemon who don't appear from Pokeballs in SSB4 - Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Raikou, Entei, and Suicune - to attack enemies)

- Poochy (the dog helper from the Yoshi series)
- Rambi
- ReDead
- Rick (the hamster helper from the Kirby series)
- Rosalina (she could wave her wand like we do with the Wii Remote to shoot Star Bits)

- Sky Skipper (from a 1981 arcade game of the same name)
- Sukapon (okay, Sakurai already said no to him as a playable character, so why not he appears as an Assist Trophy instead?)
- Tamagon (from Devil World)
- T-Rex (from Fossil Fighters)
- Zip (from FlingSmash)

If we are getting third-party characters again, I would like to see the following show up as Assist Trophies:
- Alucard (if Simon Belmont gets in)
- Bass or Proto Man or Roll (if Mega Man gets in)
- Black Mage or Chocobo (if a Final Fantasy character gets in instead)
- Chun-Li (if Ryu gets in)

- Ghosts or Ms. Pac-Man (if Pac-Man gets in)
- Gray Fox (if Snake returns)
- Knuckles or Shadow or Tails (if Sonic returns)
- Slime (if a Dragon Quest character gets in instead)

I think most of them would be good choices for the Assist Trophy roster. I think we could have about 30 or more Assist Trophies in SSB4 and I think more than half of them would be new.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
I think Alucard would probably more appropriate than Death. Assuming that Dracula isn't there simply due to boss purposes, Alucard is probably Castlevania's #3 guy, or number 2 if you just go by protagonists. Death probably has a leg up on Alucard in terms of number of appearances, but Alucard probably has a large role overall, since Death's roles can be either somewhat important, to just a sudden boss fight.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Bass is litterally an abriviation of Bad A**.

Anyway, I have a suggestion to make. How about a stage based on the minigame from OoT that takes place inside the volcano?

It would be screen width at the bottom but have walls that curved inwards slightly so that it was only half screen width at the top. The top would be the only killing edge so KOs would require highpercents but, like in the original game, the heat would hurt both players over time. This would cause no flinching or knockback and so not interfere with gameplay. It would just be a steady increase in percentage, even while no player was doing anything.

I figured it would make for an interesting new twist, what do you think?

EDIT: what is with this chat filter?!

I am borg, you shall be assimilated.

Eternal ****ation cannot be a pleasent afterlife.

hmm...

Asset, *****, Assassin.

Gosh Darn it what the hell is wrong with the word A**?!

Oh sure, it's fine with hell...

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
@Pieman: I'd pick ATs more based on function rather than whoever's at the top of the food chain. Alucard isn't much different than your average "run/jump/attack" AT that dominated Brawl. Yeah, he's got a few unique moves, but $5 says he'd mostly just swing a sword around.

Death on the other hand... well, it's Death.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
I'd think Death is probably the easiest to predict, in terms of function. His main thing is making those little scythes start appearing out of thin air. Thus, he'd probably be a lot like Beedrill or Unown. Alucard probably has a good chance of turning into a run and slash character, but I'd also think that there's higher odds for him turning out to be something else, than Death's getting something else.

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
Well more like Centurions than Beedrills (IE random directions), and I'm pretty sure he'd be lining up scythe swings too.

But what's Alucard got? The classic teleport-fireball and soul steal, that's pretty much it. He'd make for a great character with all of his other moves but as an AT he'd be kinda lame. He'd be alright if it was actually him and the CV3 gang though, it'd be like those fake zombie fights in SoTN and PoR.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
http://ssfdojo.mcleodgaming.com/index.php/2010/10/01/mushroom-kingdom/

Would you guys preefer an adventure mode that looked something like this over a revamped SSE?

Personally an adventure mode where you can find "secrets" that unlock new paths sounds more fun than a new version of SSE.

i guess what it comes down to is if this was a "perfect world" would you prefer a reaaaaallly good Adventure mode resembling the link or a really good SSE?

UberMario

Smash Master
I think that I'd prefer a platformer like in the link, or none at all. I'm not saying that the SSE was bad, but it had a lot of time put into it that could have been put into other places.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I'd prefer a Metroidvania styled Adventure Mode. The Great Maze was something like this. You can still have a story with this setup.

BG3

Smash Journeyman
http://ssfdojo.mcleodgaming.com/index.php/2010/10/01/mushroom-kingdom/

Would you guys preefer an adventure mode that looked something like this over a revamped SSE?

Personally an adventure mode where you can find "secrets" that unlock new paths sounds more fun than a new version of SSE.

i guess what it comes down to is if this was a "perfect world" would you prefer a reaaaaallly good Adventure mode resembling the link or a really good SSE?
That's a really good idea for an adventure mode. But I'd prefer it if you didn't always have to start as Mario, that way it adds a little more variety.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I thought it would be interesting if SSB4's Adventure Mode was like Super Mario Galaxy 2. Each world would have 9 levels but these levels are based on different game series.

World 1 would have levels based on Mario, Donkey Kong, Yoshi, and Wario series.

World 2 would have levels based on Zelda and Tingle series.

World 3 would have levels based on Kirby, Starfy, Mole Mania, and Pikmin series (the cartoony world).

World 4 would have levels based on Metroid, Sin & Punishment, F-Zero, and Star Fox series (the sci-fi world).

World 5 would have levels based on Pokemon series.

World 6 would have levels based on Punch-Out!!, EarthBound/Mother, Famicom/Advance Wars series (the modern world).

World 7 would have levels based on Kid Icarus, Murasame Castle, Fire Emblem, and Golden Sun series (the fantasy world).

World 8 would have levels based on Ice Climber, Gyromite, Duck Hunt, Game & Watch, Excitebike, Balloon Fight, Clu Clu Land, and Devil World (the retro world).

World S (unlocked after defeating the final boss) would have levels based on Wii Sports, Animal Crossing, Art Style, Electroplankton, Panel de Pon, Captain Rainbow, Rhythm Heaven, and Endless Ocean series (the casual world yet ironically the hardest world).

Not all these series would have playable characters, though...

The Smash Ball could be used for the appearance of the starship where the characters travel on through these worlds just like how Mario's face is used for the appearance of the Starship Mario in SMG2. The Master Hand could drive the "Starship Smash" through the worlds to bring the characters to these different levels.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Here's the North America box art for Golden Sun: Dark Dawn. Matthew looks awesome here. I can actually see him being playable in Smash 4.

I think Matthew should use Psynergy for some of his moves since Psynergy is important to the gameplay of the series.

Matthew could use the Catch Psynergy to make a magical hand appear and grab an opponent and throw them away. He could use the Carry Psynergy as his forward throw in a similar way Donkey Kong's forward throw carries opponents around. He could use the Lift Psynergy as his up throw to throw the opponent up. Matthew could use the Cloak Psynergy to dodge on the ground and in the air - he would just turn himself invisible for a second

The Lift Psynergy could also be used for Matthew's up special move (recovery) where the hands catch and lift him up. His side special move could be the Force Psynergy where a magical hand appears and punches the opponent. Matthew could use the Growth Psynergy for his standard special move where he must charge it and make vines with thorns grow from the ground (based on Growth, Mad Growth, and Wild Growth). Matthew's Final Smash could use the Move Psynergy where he would run around and try to push the opponents away with the magical hands like Isaac did in Brawl.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
The idea of characters like Samus, Snake, Fox, and Marth traveling in space on a ship shaped like a Smash Ball does not sit with me at all.

I still say a Metroidvania approach could be neat.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
How about a stage based on the minigame from OoT that takes place inside the volcano?

It would be screen width at the bottom but have walls that curved inwards slightly so that it was only half screen width at the top. The top would be the only killing edge so KOs would require highpercents but, like in the original game, the heat would hurt both players over time. This would cause no flinching or knockback and so not interfere with gameplay. It would just be a steady increase in percentage, even while no player was doing anything.

I figured it would make for an interesting new twist, what do you think?

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
I remember you posted this before.

I also remember thinking it was probably based off of some wacky dream you had because there's no minigame remotely close to that in OoT.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Really? I don't remember OoT very well but if there wasn't then what did I need the Goron Tunic for?

IIRC it was some kind of rupee collecting thing with a time limit (supposedly heat based) where you took damage over time if you didn't have the Goron Tunic on. If you won you got a Piece of heart. Or possibly a Heart Container but sothing like that.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Put shy guy in, nuff said.
They've been in for a while: trophies of them, they were in so many backgrounds from Yoshi's stages, and they even attack you in that Mario Kart stage....

So even though the art style is completely different, when Epic Yarn comes out do any of you think that Kirby or DeDeDe will have moves that reflect their latest (at the time of Epic Yarn's release) game? Yes they are made of yarn and there will be some moves that could only be done if Kirby was made of fabric, BUT there may also be some moves that Kirby can bring to Smash. And some of those moves can be done without Kirby being made of string.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
The idea of characters like Samus, Snake, Fox, and Marth traveling in space on a ship shaped like a Smash Ball does not sit with me at all.

I still say a Metroidvania approach could be neat.
So, the idea of characters like Jigglypuff, R.O.B. and Peach being able to beat up the likes of Ganondorf, Samus, and Bowser does sit well with you, and yet the idea of characters like Samus, Snake, Fox, and Marth traveling in space on a ship shaped like a Smash Ball does not sit well with you at all? Did you or did you not want Tom Nook to be playable in Smash? Oh, come on now, Kuma! Smash isn't always about no-nonsense. :p

Also, if we go with the Metroidvania approach, how would you progress through the game? I mean, Metroidvania games worked well if you started out with just your basic moves/abilities and you are able to access new areas only if you find new moves/abilities. How would this work on Smash? Unless you are suggesting Mario start out with just the A moves and he must find his B moves one by one and you have to do this with all the characters after they join your party.

UberMario

Smash Master
TBH a Smash Ball ship would be as ugly as can be, now, them riding the Great Fox, on the other hand . . . . . .

Also, the "Metroidvania approach" could involve swapping in between characters easily. Let me give out an example.

A ROB lays dormant in a storage area, his purpose, to prevent the supply of "Smashodium", a chemical that can increase the power of any inanimate object, from being stolen, his job is successful for the most part, but after many years of slumber, his sensory programs detect intruders. Bowser, Mewtwo, and Ganondorf all burst onto the scene, with Mewtwo paralyzing ROB with his powerful psychic powers while the other two hijack the supplies.

ROB restarts later, discovers his cargo is missing, and sets out. There's a narrow corridor above him that is too high for him to scale, a set of turbines creating powerful emissions that he can't get by, and an electronic door, after reaching the door, he uses a built-in cable to activate the door . . . . .

See? It could go Metalmetroidvania Emblem just fine. Here's a list of things that specific characters could only do [and be unlocked like suits]:

-ROB: Open electronic doors
-Walljumpers: Junp up narrow corridors
-Pit: Walk on clouds too weak to hold other characters
-Fox: Use his Fox Illusion to get through narrow corridors involving turbine emissions), recruitment allows you to use the Great Fox
-Falco: Recruitment allows you to use arwings in order to approach areas the Great Fox can't
-Ness/Lucas: Guide their PK Thunder through mazes to fry circuits not normally reached
-Ice Climbers: climb icy slopes
-Flame weilders: Light matches
-Water weilders: Dampen fuses, fires, etc.
-Electric weilders: Fry circuits
-Mario: Reflect missles, etc.
-Luigi: Decoy/comic relief
-Peach: Charm guards, use her umbrella to slowly fall through item-laden [non-lethal] pits
-Yoshi: Use eggs to hit specifically aimed-at targets.
-Pikachu: Set plants on fire with thunder, use thunder shock to paralyze guards
-Sword weilders: Cut cables/rope
-Pichu: Charm foes with it's cuteness
-Jigglypuff: Put guards, etc. to sleep
-Lucario: Detect if recruitable characters are in the area
-Pokemon Trainer: Catch any enemy pokemon on site for OHKO(not usable except for starters, he starts out with Squirtle like in the SSE)
-DK: Move heavy objects, locate objects under the ground
-Diddy Kong: Uses bananas to trip enemies carrying heavy objects, pickpocket
-Wario: Gets 3x the amount of coins other characters get from beating enemies, use his bike to jump gimmicks
-Link: Use his ocarina to charm objects
-Zelda: Charm guards for keys, etc
-Shiek: Incapacitate guards, teleport past walls into other areas
-Kirby/DeDeDe: Use inhale to pull ungrabbable crates/rocks from crevices where they can't be grabbed
-Kirby: Steal guard clothes via his abilities
-Meta-Knight: Command his ship, crew
-King DeDeDe: Command any kirby "enemies"
-Mr. Game & Watch: hide in the shadows, "go under cover as a CHEF in the enemy headquarters, etc."
-Snake: Sneak past guards using his cardboard box, incapcitate guards
-Samus: Roll through narrow corridors
-Zero Suit Samus: Paralyze/incapacitate guards
-Sonic: Run pass rapid-fire artillery, use his homing attack to "climb" up enemy-laden vertical areas
-Olimar: Incapacitate giant enemies with his Pikmin
-Captain Falcon: OHKO anything with his Falcon Punch (except Boss battles of course), including normally invincible enemies
-Marth: More effective against sword-duelers than other characters
-Ike: Smash rock walls
-Roy: Use his "sword nuke" to break solid metal

And you could recruit some new members Fire Emblem style aswell. (i.e. Only Mario can recruit Peach, Diddy Kong only joins if you have Donkey Kong, Caeda would only join if Marth talked to her, Falco only joins if Fox is in the fray, etc.)

Bad guys (not playable until after the adventure is near over, with some plot twist on a character unavailable for gameplay turns on his allies *cough*Dr. Robotnik*cough*):
-Bowser
-Wolf
-Ganondorf
-Mewtwo

That way, unlocking each character would be like unlocking a new ability.

UberMario

Smash Master
Who, me? Yes, I do. Only Genosect has "solo fighter" potential as strong as Zoroark's.

And lol @ teh second part, j00 k33d

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Who, me? Yes, I do. Only Genosect has "solo fighter" potential as strong as Zoroark's.

And lol @ teh second part, j00 k33d
Yeah, I honestly don't see any other pokemon who can fill the shoes that SSB requires. BUT, once the game comes out we will see.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
So, the idea of characters like Jigglypuff, R.O.B. and Peach being able to beat up the likes of Ganondorf, Samus, and Bowser does sit well with you, and yet the idea of characters like Samus, Snake, Fox, and Marth traveling in space on a ship shaped like a Smash Ball does not sit well with you at all? Did you or did you not want Tom Nook to be playable in Smash? Oh, come on now, Kuma! Smash isn't always about no-nonsense. :p
Assuming that the story mode would be serious, a Smash Ball shaped spaceship would be absolutely stupid as no one would take it seriously. As already said, if you want a ship for everyone, use something pre-made like the Halberd or Great Fox.

Also, if we go with the Metroidvania approach, how would you progress through the game? I mean, Metroidvania games worked well if you started out with just your basic moves/abilities and you are able to access new areas only if you find new moves/abilities. How would this work on Smash? Unless you are suggesting Mario start out with just the A moves and he must find his B moves one by one and you have to do this with all the characters after they join your party.
I think UberMario said it best in that your "items" would be more like characters to choose from. I'm not fond of his abilities though. I'd keep the abilities more in line with action than something Fire Emblem. If there was a Nintendo Crossover SRPG, he might be on to something.

What I found annoying with the SSE (among other things) was that you really didn't have a reason to choose and not choose certain characters in certain levels save for getting one or two bonus items.

Here's something I have in mind for different characters and when you would use them.

Falco - For enemies to close to attack with.
Fox - For projectile spammers
Mario - The all around character (and the one you'd start off with)
Link - Aerial enemies and for puzzles requiring projectiles (like the Zelda games)
Pikachu - Against water monsters and big enemies (they can't hit him)

Of course, it gets more and more difficult to come up with stuff as you go. All in all, I'd prefer a more Melee-esque Adventure Mode.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Well more like Centurions than Beedrills (IE random directions), and I'm pretty sure he'd be lining up scythe swings too.

But what's Alucard got? The classic teleport-fireball and soul steal, that's pretty much it. He'd make for a great character with all of his other moves but as an AT he'd be kinda lame. He'd be alright if it was actually him and the CV3 gang though, it'd be like those fake zombie fights in SoTN and PoR.
I'll suppose they may act like Centurions, since if they are true to the game, they won't just come from one direction. Still, I'd doubt that he'd actively go up and attack other characters, while that's all going on. Its all a bit much.

Anyways, I'd assume that the most likely thing for Alucard to do is indeed to seek a opponent, and then start attacking him, but this could be done in a fairly unique way. For one, he could track down a target in his bat form, latch on to them, turn human, and preform an attack.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
THAT'S the problem with the single player mode. Way too serious. More Falcon/Olimar style hijinks for me please.
Olimar and Falcon as a buddy cop duo.....

I'd buy all the DVDs.

Moogi

Smash Apprentice
Olimar and Falcon as a buddy cop duo.....

I'd buy all the DVDs.
This.
/10epicwins

I just thought of something random involving character choices, and I'm curious to see how it turns out.

If Sakurai stated that EVERY series in Smash were to get ONE extra character in Smash 4, and ONLY one character, who would you pick for each series?

And I literally mean all series. Even the ones who don't deserve more reps. Pit may as well be his own series, while ICs are the 'retro' series and G&W and ROB are the 'WTF' series. Snake and Sonic are the 3rd party series (which still means no Gray Fox/*insert 100 million Sonic characters here*)

I'm not doing this for the purpose on who wants who in the most, but I would like to see who people think would have the best chance of being a series rep for Smash. New series reps (not as in retros, as in characters with fully grown franchises) can be added as well, but keep it to a limit of two/three new series, with (once again) only one character.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Mario - Toad
Zelda - Toon Zelda/Tetra
Donkey Kong - K. Rool
Metroid - Ridley
Pokemon - Mewtwo
Yoshi - Kamek (not really)
Starfox - Krystal
F-Zero - Goroh
Earthbound/MOTHER - Kumatora
Kirby - Adeline?
Fire Emblem - Caeda/Sheeda outside of the Americas
Wario - Capt. Syrup
Kid Icarus - Palutena

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Mario: Toad
Legend of Zelda: Tingle
Pokémon: Mewtwo
Kirby: Prince Fluff
Donkey Kong: King K. Rool
Fire Emblem: Ephraim
Wario: Jimmy. T
Metroid: Ridley
Star Fox: Krystal
F-Zero: Black Shadow
Pit: Palutena
MOTHER: Masked Man

Moogi

Smash Apprentice
Mario - Toad
Zelda - Toon Zelda/Tetra
Donkey Kong - K. Rool
Metroid - Ridley
Pokemon - Mewtwo
Yoshi - Kamek (not really)
Starfox - Krystal
F-Zero - Goroh
Earthbound/MOTHER - Kumatora
Kirby - Adeleine (I can't even spell her name right, so I had to Google search her x.x)
Fire Emblem - Caeda/Sheeda outside of the Americas
Wario - Capt. Syrup
Kid Icarus - Palutena
Kirby: Prince Fluff
Fire Emblem: Ephraim
Wario: Jimmy. T
F-Zero: Black Shadow
Pit: Palutena
MOTHER: Masked Man
Diverse results are strangely diverse. For example, Kuma seems to prefer the ladies, Phoenix's list has a few slightly 'obscure' characters when it comes to Smash, like Ephraim, Prince Fluff (but this depends on how big of a role he has in Kirby's Epic Yarn), Jimmy T. to a margin extent, etc. Neither lists show Miciaiah, either. *le gasp*

Just about half the lists show the same character for certain categories. (You earn cookies for the characters in those lists, but it's my opinion, obviously)

Then again, in all honesty, I probably would have to wait for more input to get a complete list of findings :p

UberMario

Smash Master
(Counting only series with characters)
Wario: Captain Syrup
Yoshi: Kamek
Kirby: Rick the Hamster
F-Zero: Samurai Goroh
Fire Emblem: Caeda
Mother: Ninten
Kid Icarus: Eggplant Wizard
Pikmin: Louie
Retro: Donbe (the taller version of him) [Shin Onigashima]
WTF: Prince Sabure [For the Frog, the Bell Tolls]
3rd Party: Knuckles the Echidna
(Including stages)
Animal Crossing: K.K. Slider
(Including music)
Golden Sun: Isaac

I won't do trophies and stickers due to how many series that would bring up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom