• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Wow, really? Why was I unaware of this thread's age? When you put it that way though, this could end up being the oldest active thread (as far as I know) on the forum, if it hasn't already.
This thread basically began in January 2008 because, after the Japanese release of Brawl, a flood of people came here speculating about SSB4 which, with it, also produced a ton of threads all talking about the same things. All those threads then were mooshed into this behemoth that you see today.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Oh my, this place is still as active as ever. I shouldn't be suprised though, nerds will be nerds :p

Anyways. Has anyone read up on the new Donkey Kong game? I'm curious if either Dixie or K Rool are even mentioned. Its been a while, so I'm not sure if they are still DK's top two candidates.

n88

Smash Lord
Nothing against Perry or your new move ideas, but it wouldn't really be that awkward to have Toad as playable and Peach's Neutral Special. There are plenty of generic Toads. Who's to say Peach isn't using one of them?

There's also the fact that, y'know it's already possible to pit Mario against Mario against Mario against Mario, and no-one seems to be complaining. Peach wouldn't really need a change if Toad was made playable. (Although I'll admit Perry would be cool)

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Oh my, this place is still as active as ever. I shouldn't be suprised though, nerds will be nerds :p

Anyways. Has anyone read up on the new Donkey Kong game? I'm curious if either Dixie or K Rool are even mentioned. Its been a while, so I'm not sure if they are still DK's top two candidates.
It apparently has been confirmed that Dixie and K. Rool will not be in DKCR. A shame, really, but hopefully, the game will still be good.
Nothing against Perry or your new move ideas, but it wouldn't really be that awkward to have Toad as playable and Peach's Neutral Special. There are plenty of generic Toads. Who's to say Peach isn't using one of them?

There's also the fact that, y'know it's already possible to pit Mario against Mario against Mario against Mario, and no-one seems to be complaining. Peach wouldn't really need a change if Toad was made playable. (Although I'll admit Perry would be cool)
Huh, never thought of it that way. You do prove a rather valid point. I will laugh if they forgo Toad in favor of Toadette.

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
In hindsight perhaps, I can see your point. Just about every character has moves that seemed to come from nowhere. So okay, Toad's inclusion isn't impossible, but I still think a couple of factors may still play a part in his possible exclusion:
What's funny is that Peach's standard B is a made-up move for Toad himself, so technically we've already passed that step.

- Seeing as he's the standard B for Peach already, Nintendo has several options. A: Change Peach's standard B. B: Keep her standard B as is and have an odd moment of a Peach pulling out Toad's clone in a Peach/Toad MU. C: explain that the playable Toad is THE Toad, while the one Peach pulls out is merely one of the generic "Toad" servants. Either method is viable should they choose to include him.
Lots of people have suggested Toadsworth or Toadette in his place, anything's fine though. Remember that B moves have been changed before and Toad shooting spores isn't one of her "defining character moves" like Mario's fireballs or Link's spin slash.

- Popularity: Personally, I don't believe Toad is a popular character (or rather, as popular as others). True, there may be other characters that weren't popular at the time, like G&W and R.O.B., the former of which half the world knew nothing about. However, their inclusion had a definite "Wow!" factor that no one saw coming. They could include Toad, but few would be wowed or excited about his inclusion (or so I predict), and unless he has a moveset that makes him extraordinary, it would be a safe bet that not many would main him, unless he somehow becomes a high/top tier.
This is factually false. Remember that Toad's part of the biggest video game series ever, he's been around since the beginning, and he's been playable in more games than most Brawl characters (many of which are holding sales records). Pretty easy for a character to become popular just through exposure.

He was also 9th on the Melee poll, if you believe in that sort of thing. The only Nintendo characters ahead of him were Bowser, Peach, Wario, Dedede, Ganon, and Mewtwo.

Regardless, Toad's inclusion doesn't seem very farfetched, but I still believe they may not include him anyway. I could be wrong, and I actually hope I am, as I'm always happy when Nintendo is able to expand the fighter pool with whatever they can think of.
In spite of all the reasons I just gave in favor of Toad, I still agree that he probably won't be playable. He's had almost everything going for him for the last three games and still didn't make it in. The only difference between now and three years ago is being playable in a main series game, and I really doubt that's the missing link in Sakurai's mind.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

The only kongs that will be making an appearance are DK, Diddy, and Cranky according to Retro and K. Rool won't be making an appearance unless he ends up becoming a hidden boss or something.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Remember that B moves have been changed before and Toad shooting spores isn't one of her "defining character moves" like Mario's fireballs or Link's spin slash.
Now that you mentioned it, they did change Mario a bit from Melee to Brawl, replacing his Mario Tornado with F.L.U.D.D., whilst making the Mario Tornado his Dair. Jigglypuff had a slight change too from Smash64 to Melee, having her Pound replaced with Rollout and making Pound her Side B now. So assuming Toad does get added to a Smash Bros. game - though a bit unlikely - there should be no reason to replace Peach's standard B with another move.
The only kongs that will be making an appearance are DK, Diddy, and Cranky according to Retro and K. Rool won't be making an appearance unless he ends up becoming a hidden boss or something.
Retro's doing DKCR? Wow, I didn't know that! Why does it seem like I'm living under a rock? That aside, seeing Retro's resumé with the Metroid Prime series, I'd say they will not disappoint with this game.

Koric

Smash Apprentice
In hindsight perhaps, I can see your point. Just about every character has moves that seemed to come from nowhere. So okay, Toad's inclusion isn't impossible, but I still think a couple of factors may still play a part in his possible exclusion:
Now I think of it, most of the Brawl characters also appeared as trophies on Melee even though Rob, Sonic, and Snake is very unexpected though...

Considering the possibility, the chances are still enough to hope.

----------------

Still....what I like to see more uses with the special button...for more variety...like special grabs and throws.

For the game to adopt data on stages and characters on different games for the game to serve as "temporary add-ons".

Also for the decay effect to apply on any smash attacks used constantly (even if it missed).

DaMonth

Smash Rookie
I just wanted to leave this here (sorry if I come off as a noob for either the character choice of the off-topic post)

Mario Series:
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Bowser Jr./Shadow Mario

DK Series
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
Dixie Kong
King K. Rool

Yoshi Series:
Yoshi
Baby Mario and Luigi

Wario Series:
Wario

LOZ Series:
Link
Zelda/Sheik
Ganondorf
Toon Link
Toon Zelda/Tetra

Kirby Series:
Kirby
King DeDeDe
MetaKnight

StarFox Series:
Fox
Falco
Wolf
Krystal

Pokemon Series:
Pikachu
PKMN Trainer
Jigglypuff
Zoroark

Fire Emblem Series:
Marth
Ike
Micaiah

Metroid Series:
Samus/ZSS
Ridley

Earthbound Series:
Lucas
Ness
Claus

F-Zero Series:
Captain Falcon
Samurai Goroh

Pikmin Series:
Captain Olimar

Golden Sun Series:
Isaac

Starfy Series:
Starfy

Retro Characters:
Mr. Game and Watch
R.O.B.
Pit
Ice Climbers
Balloon Fighter
Sukapon
Little Mac

3rd Party:
Sonic
Snake
MegaMan
PacMan

Others:
New Nintendo Character? (That one that Miyamoto said he was going to make. I might add him/her in depending on the potential)

Rate please and make suggestions if needed

Oh, and concerning Peach's Neutral B, it should become the Psych Bomb from SMRPG.

T.testLP

Smash Cadet
Being realistic here, I think the universal changes could be: A completely diffrent physics system, Brawl's air dodge, tripping will return sadly.

Stages could exceed 50, with perhaps over half of the Brawl stages returning. There will be a stage for every new franchise represented.

As for characters, I don't know. They're quite unpredictable especially with the inclusion of R.O.B. I personally hope for 9-Volt. Give him Nintendo based attacks and a rocket skateboard and BAM! A moveset.

For music, I don't think they will be able to redo what Brawl did.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Well, well, well... looks like Geno is NOT in Mario Sports Mix... I sure am glad about that. The last thing we need is getting Geno's rabid fanbase's hopes up and flooding Smash-related threads with Geno hype. Oh, and Toad for SSB4. ;)

Zap tackle

Smash Journeyman
Oh, and Toad for SSB4.
Indeed, Toad definitely deserves to be in SSB4. These two years (2009 and 2010) have been pretty bright for the little guy and hopefully things get even better in the future.

fenyx4

Smash Journeyman
This is sort of irrelevant, but does anyone know why Toad is named "Toad" yet he seems more mushroom-based rather than being based on a member of the taxonomic order Anura? I've been wondering about that for a while...

And, if he did happen to become a playable character, Toadsworth replacing him as Peach's neutral Special would fit better IMO, due to the changed colors and both of them being distinct entities. But Toadsworth looks a bit too elderly to participate in a "brawl", IMO. But I still think Toadsworth would serve as a viable replacement for Peach's "counter" move that features Toad...

i8pie

Smash Apprentice
If they're going to add more Sonic characters, then I think it would be pretty cool to have Team Chaotix. It'd be like a mix between Ice Climbers and Pokemon Trainer, and the style would be from Sonic Heroes. There are three of them on-screen at once but you only control one of them as leader. Special moves would depend on which is leader, and like Ice Climbers, they would only have to hit the leader out.

It does seem admittedly cheap however; I think people have enough trouble with Ice Climbers and Chain Grabbing. Another cool character idea could be Mii; Up Special could be that jetpack from that 3DS Skywings game, Smashes and Specials could be based on Wii Sports. Also, Toad would be awesome to have as a character.

Jaklub

Smash Journeyman
If they're going to add more Sonic characters, then I think it would be pretty cool to have Team Chaotix. It'd be like a mix between Ice Climbers and Pokemon Trainer, and the style would be from Sonic Heroes. There are three of them on-screen at once but you only control one of them as leader. Special moves would depend on which is leader, and like Ice Climbers, they would only have to hit the leader out.

It does seem admittedly cheap however; I think people have enough trouble with Ice Climbers and Chain Grabbing. Another cool character idea could be Mii; Up Special could be that jetpack from that 3DS Skywings game, Smashes and Specials could be based on Wii Sports. Also, Toad would be awesome to have as a character.
Even though I don't like Shadow, I understand why people want him - he's popular. But that total obscurity?

I'm not fond of like the idea of Mii either, but it might be in.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
@i8pie: Assuming SSB4 will be a Wii game, or if Nintendo's next console will have a Mii system, it would be interesting to have a Mii as a character.

They might even go the route of Mario Kart Wii and make the Mii's weight, power, move properties. and - maybe to a lesser extent - moveset dependant on the actual Mii's height and how wide it is. Frankly speaking, the odds of such a thing happening may very well be slim (don't quote me on that), but I would love to see it nonetheless.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I would expect Weight of the Mii to correlate directly to character weight and to determine the power and speed of moves to a minor extent. Height would alter range of attacks but also determine how hittale the Mii is.

I doubt any actual moveset changes would happen.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I highly doubt the next Smash will be that... Japanese...
If they add Amaterasu, it doesn't necessarily mean it will be a "Japanese" game. It would simply have Amaterasu as a playable character, a stage dedicated to her, and a track or so for said stage. That'd be the only Japanese theme. Otherwise, Smash Bros. is all about diversity, is it not?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I'd say Smash is, stateless for a lack of better words, when it comes to representing any country. This is a good thing because it adds to the international appeal of Nintendo characters, a good example of this is Fire Emblem just by art style (look up mukokuseki). I think the diversity you're looking for, Sol Badguy, is the different types of videogame series brought together.

National diversity is really more for games with international characters like Street Fighter, King of Fighters, Virtua Fighter, Tekken, and Soul Calibur.

And if we want to get technical, all the videogame series that have appeared in Smash are all made by Japanese developers, not counting individual games like the Prime series.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I'd say Smash is, stateless for a lack of better words, when it comes to representing any country. This is a good thing because it adds to the international appeal of Nintendo characters, a good example of this is Fire Emblem just by art style (look up mukokuseki). I think the diversity you're looking for, Sol Badguy, is the different types of videogame series brought together.

National diversity is really more for games with international characters like Street Fighter, King of Fighters, Virtua Fighter, Tekken, and Soul Calibur.

And if we want to get technical, all the videogame series that have appeared in Smash are all made by Japanese developers, not counting individual games like the Prime series.
Well, yeah, I'm thinking of video game diversity. If Nintendo decides on worldwide diversity, such as adding Crash, from Crash Bandicoot, or Banjo, from Banjo-Kazooie, then that's all them. It makes no lick 'o difference to me, so as long as the game stays true to the Smash Bros. formula.

UberMario

Smash Master
I'd say Smash is, stateless for a lack of better words, when it comes to representing any country.
That doesn't necessarily mean that they don't have implied nationalities:

Japan:
Pokemon (except for B&W, which take place in America)
Sonic
Game & Watch (in the original release, Game & Watch Gallery port, and Game & Watch Gallery 4 port, the ambualnce in the game fire is a direct imitation of Japan's ambulances.)
ROB (Humanesque robots are popular in Japan)

America:
Mario Bros. (indicated in earlier games to be from New York before going to the MK)
Earthbound (USA in general)
Solid Snake (Shadow Moses Island is a fictional location in Alaska, he's even said to be a Inuit-descendant)
Ice Climbers (On the EXTREME flipside of representing the Inuit race. lol)
Pikmin (7-Up, Dannon, Yoohoo, Dr. Pepper, RC Cola, A&W, Skippy Peanut Butter, Vlasic Pickles, Ragu, French's, Carmex, Snapple, and Duracell are all obtainable in some form in Pikmin 2, so Distant Planet is probably supposed to occur here, as they outnumber the Japanese references, which are mostly restricted to a Famicom Disk and a Yen.)
F-Zero (The anime states that Mute City is actually New York City renamed)

Spanish:
Fire Emblem (it strongly comes off to me as Spanish despite their voice casting, though I think it's easy to say it's at least trying to imitate Medieval Europe folklore)

Greece:
Kid Icarus

Whatever (alternate, non-Earth related dimensions):
Kirby
Metroid
Star Fox

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
That doesn't necessarily mean that they don't have implied nationalities:

Japan:
Pokemon (except for B&W, which take place in America)
Sonic
Game & Watch (in the original release, Game & Watch Gallery port, and Game & Watch Gallery 4 port, the ambualnce in the game fire is a direct imitation of Japan's ambulances.)
ROB (Humanesque robots are popular in Japan)

America:
Mario Bros. (indicated in earlier games to be from New York before going to the MK)
Earthbound (USA in general)
Solid Snake (Shadow Moses Island is a fictional location in Alaska, he's even said to be a Inuit-descendant)
Ice Climbers (On the EXTREME flipside of representing the Inuit race. lol)
Pikmin (7-Up, Dannon, Yoohoo, Dr. Pepper, RC Cola, A&W, Skippy Peanut Butter, Vlasic Pickles, Ragu, French's, Carmex, Snapple, and Duracell are all obtainable in some form in Pikmin 2, so Distant Planet is probably supposed to occur here, as they outnumber the Japanese references, which are mostly restricted to a Famicom Disk and a Yen.)
F-Zero (The anime states that Mute City is actually New York City renamed)

Spanish:
Fire Emblem (it strongly comes off to me as Spanish despite their voice casting, though I think it's easy to say it's at least trying to imitate Medieval Europe folklore)

Greece:
Kid Icarus

Whatever (alternate, non-Earth related dimensions):
Kirby
Metroid
Star Fox
Ahaha! Nice job: hit it right in the bull's-eye. Mind you, these are not including Assist Trophies and normal Trophies either.

But I suppose as far as developers/companies go, they're all pretty much Japanese, unless you count Retro for the Prime series and Rare for for the Donkey Kong Country games. Hmm, in hindsight, perhaps we ought to count them, as there are Trophies and stages from the Prime series in Brawl. Also, in Smash64 (I don't remember Melee), didn't the ending credits say "Donkey Kong design used with permission by Rare", or somewhere along those lines? Also, another thing I remembered is the Motion Sensor Bomb in Melee. Though it doesn't say so in the English version, setting the language to Japanese reveals in its Trophy description (in Japanese, of course) that it came from Perfect Dark: another title by Rare.

So I guess the Smash Bros. games are more diverse afterall. It's amazing what hindsight can reveal, huh?

UberMario

Smash Master
No

10whatareyouthinkings
^^This^^

I can name EIGHT Mario characters that would be rep'd earlier than King Boo:

[in order from [IMO] most likely to least]

-Toad (like I said before, he's the ONLY of the big eight (Mario, Luigi, Yoshi, Toad, Wario, Bowser, Donkey Kong, and Peach) not to get into Smash as a playable character.)

-Bowser Jr. (a prominent antagonist)

-Paper Mario (do I need to say it?)

-Waluigi (They've added onto his character quite a bit recently, such as his ability to swim through the air and summon hedges [don't ask])

-Kamek (he's made a strong comeback lately, being a major boss in at least two games and making many cameos since his revival in the late 00s. He'd be set under Yoshi's banner, but he's still a Mario character in a sense)

-Fawful (The ONLY main antagonist to appear more than once [other than Bowser of course])

-Petey Piranha (he's more popular and made more appearances than King Boo)

-Birdo (yeah right lol)

I'm not saying these all should be in, I was just listing Mario characters that are more likely.

gorgon.

Smash Ace
Wow, really? Why was I unaware of this thread's age? When you put it that way though, this could end up being the oldest active thread (as far as I know) on the forum, if it hasn't already.
I started lurking in this thread a few days ago, reading some of the ideas.

I then realized that I had already posted in this thread over TWO YEARS AGO, my post is on the second page.

I can't believe this is the same thread, it's been ages since I've been on this site.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I am back. So its been two years since this thread has started? Two years later, there is still no Smash 4 announced, but then against I did not expect Smash 4 to be announced in 2010. I think the earliest Smash 4 will be announced will be 2012, so at the earliest we are looking at another 1.5 years of speculation before we get out first Smash 4 newcomers. Anyway, I have decided to make another post considering there have been some new games released that could alter the chances of certain characters being chosen as playable characters for Smash 4.

Here are the few new bits of roster speculation based on some new developments.

Golden Sun: Dark Dawn:
First off, Golden Sun. As you all may or may not know, Golden Sun: Dark Dawn was released more than three weeks ago in Japan. The game had a disappointing opening week, and the game's total sales after three weeks is at 65K, which is lower than even the opening week for the prior two Golden Sun games (GS1 did 140K in its opening week, while GS2 did 104K). The finals sales number for GS1 in Japan was 400K, and for GS2 it was 275K. So there was already a massive dropoff in the series's popularity in Japan starting with The Lost Age. Golden Sun typically has higher sales in the West than it does in Japan though. However, the large dropoff is disturbing. Golden Sun 3 will probably at best end up crawling its way to 100K in Japan, seeing as the game has not shown to be having any legs in Japan (in comparison to Epic Yarn, which also had a disappointing opening week, seems to be having sales legs).

The series declining popularity could do several things. One is that it could deter Camelot from bringing out a fourth game in the series. Another is that Golden Sun was a far more popular series prior to the development of Brawl, yet that still did not give Sakurai any thought to give the series a playable character (instead its only content was regulated to an Assist Trophy, a trophy of said Assist Trophy, and a remix of a track from Golden Sun: The Lost Age). If the series is even less popular now, perhaps Sakurai might decide to ignore the series again for a playable spot when Smash 4 begins development.

However, there is some good news for Isaac fans. Isaac is in Golden Sun Dark Dawn and seems to be a pretty important character (even being a temporary party member at one point). Also, its not spoilers considering that this is information that was put out in Japanese magazines prior to the game coming out. With Isaac having an important role in all three games in the series, perhaps Sakurai might be convinced to have him as the playable character despite not being the main protagonist since the original (and due to the lackluster sales thus far of the latest release).

Still, the disappointing Japanese sales for the latest Golden Sun might hurt the series chances for getting a playable character in Smash 4.

Mario Sports Mix:
This is the fourth Mario game developed by Square-Enix. The three prior Mario games developed by them include Super Mario RPG, Itagaki Street DS, and Mario Hoops. In the two Mario games Square-Enix made after SMRPG, Square-Enix did not include Mario RPG exclusive party members as playable characters. Many hoped that Square-Enix would finally include Geno and Mallow as playable characters in Mario Sports Mix, however, now that all the characters have been revealed on the site, those hopes can pretty much be laid to rest.

All of the Final Fantasy characters that were playable in Mario Hoops, have returned for Mario Sports Mix. These characters include Moogle, Black Mage, White Mage, Ninja, and Cactuar. Miis have also been added as a playable character for this game. However, perhaps the biggest new is that Slime is a playable character. This marks the second game in which the mascot of Dragon Quest has been a playable character in a game alongside Mario. Overall, the only three newcomers for this game compared to Mario Hoops, are Toad, Mii, and Slime.

However, there exists a small chance that there are more characters in the game that we do not know about yet (the game comes out in a few days in Japan). However, considering that Square-Enix revealed all the hidden characters for Mario Hoops prior to that game coming out as well, the chances are not that likely.

Despite the apparent exclusion of Geno and Mallow, Square-Enix has not forgotten about Super Mario RPG. In Itagaki Street DS, there was a remix of the Super Mario RPG Mushroom Kingdom theme. In Mario Sports Remix, there is a Sunken Ship court that appears to be based off the Sunken Ship from Super Mario RPG.

Does anyone else think this might boost the chances for a Final Fantasy and/or Dragon Quest character being in Smash 4? Also, this game also bodes well for Toad and Mii both having starred in yet another game, with Toad being the only Mario newcomer for this game compared to Mario Hoops. Although Sakurai said no to Miis in Brawl, I have a feeling that Sakurai might be having some second thoughts considering how much the Miis are being included in everything and the overall tremendous popularity of them.

Donkey Kong Country Returns:
Well, this is probably one in which a lot of people are nervous about. Well, as to the quality of the game, it has been getting some stellar reviews with the only complaint being the game's high difficulty in the later levels. However, the other things that people have been worrying about with Returns, I cannot say the same.

The only returning Donkey Kong Country characters that appear in Returns are Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Cranky Kong, Rambi, and Squawks. Yep that's it. No other Kongs are in the game. And like Retro said months ago in an interview, there are no crocodiles either, we includes K. Rool.

I wonder what this development means for the Donkey Kong series getting a newcomer for Smash 4? Dixie Kong was not only absent in this game, but also Mario Sports Mix (which is bad considering that Dixie was playable in Mario Hoops, and she was one of the few characters from that game cut from Mario Sports Mix). Dixie's advantage over K. Rool was hr tendency to be much more likely to appear in Donkey Kong and Mario spinoffs over K. Rool.

As for K. Rool, this could very well be a massive blow to his chances. This is the first big budget Donkey Kong game in years, and he is absent from it. K. Rool has also never made any appearances in Mario spinoffs aside from the Mario Baseball game on the Wii. There is a chance that K. Rool could end up going the way of Donkey Kong Junior, another important character to the Donkey Kong series who has ceased to make any more appearances in any new games (DKJ's last new appearance in a game was Game & Watch Gallery 4, which was released back in 2002). This lack of any role in the biggest DK game of this generation could very well make Sakurai decide not to include him for Smash 4. However, if Retro decides to make a Donkey Kong Country Returns 2 prior to the Wii 2 being released that has K. Rool as its main antagonist, then K. Rool will shoot back as being one of the most likely characters for Smash 4. However, right now, we must consider that his lack of appearance in this game could make him not make it into Smash 4 as a playable character, and possibly even going the same route as DKJ.

I think there could very well be a good chance that there will be no Donkey Kong series newcomer for Smash 4 if Dixie Kong and K. Rool do not end up getting any more important roles in their series prior to the development of Smash 4. I am getting the feeling now that Sakurai might very well expand into expanding "guest" slots due to the vacuum of Nintendo characters he feels are worth adding as newcomers.

Well, that concludes my latest speculation. I hope there are some of you that enjoyed reading it, or at least found the speculation to be intriguing.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
@ChronoBound: "Intriguing", as far as I'm concerned, is a modest term, as everything you've stated has pretty much hit everything on the head with reasonings to back them up. Great job.

As I'm using the Wii browser for this, and my thumb's starting to kill me, I shall comment on the Square-Enix bit.

As far as Final Fantasy characters are concerned, it ranges from FF I-VI, as those were the only ones released on a Nintendo console. Seeing as they released FFIV: The After Years as a Wii Ware title, it's a safe bet that assuming a guest character from Square-Enix doesn't end up being a White Mage or a Chocobo, Nintendo may go with Cecil or Ceodore. They may just throw a curve ball and throw in Geno instead, as he does belong to Square (dunno if partly or completely). Dragon Quest is also viable, though sadly, I know almost nothing about the series beyond the first NES title.

Regardless, I hope to see some character from Square-Enix. Aside from their years-old departure from Nintendo since Final Fantasy VII, I'd say they have been a rather faithful company to Nintendo even to this day.

i8pie

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone else think this might boost the chances for a Final Fantasy and/or Dragon Quest character being in Smash 4?
Maybe. It really depends on whether Square Enix wants to let Nintendo use their characters, though. Or whether people beg them, like people did with Sonic. If they did join, they would probably use an FF Character, as I think FF seems more popular than DQ.

If they do use a DQ Character, though, it should be Rocket from DQ: Heroes Rocket Slime. Would work as mascot and double as a legit character considering that the game Rocket is from isn't that bad and has some cool concepts around it.
Link to Game: http://na.square-enix.com/rocketslime/

Wschl

Smash Apprentice
buu huu and megaman approaching i guess :>
Also some random new gen. Pokemon. just hoping that they go back to melee physicals and not sticking to Floaty Brawl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom