• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaklub

Smash Journeyman
3rd parties are special in that they have to be shown off to have the desired effect but not knowing who the other newcomers are would be a plus in my mind. One or two newcomers on the starting roster would be ok but getting newcomers should have a sense of discovery about it. Also, 3rd parties should not be on the starting roster under any circumstances IMO, even if they are on the back of the box.
If they are not starters, they should not be on the back of the box too.

Yes, I'm aware this happened in Brawl

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
I preferred Adventure to SSE but felt it was lacking in depth and replay value. Making it character specific would make it last so much longer and minor changes based on what you have unlock couldn't possibly be a bad thing for replay value. A story interwoven throughout the Adventures would give extra meaning to the whole thing while also giving players a reason to play them all, forcing players to get good as every character without making it unfun. I definitely agree with that aswell.
I also agree with the idea of a final Adventure for all the characters after the others are complete. To get it to work would require the character specific Adventure modes to all have their own bosses (some such as Mario's and Luigi's would likely share though) so that the true final boss would be reserved for the final adventure.
To get the feel of all the characters working together I would have this final adventure be more subspace based both in terms of the level design and the fact that you would have 5 characters of your choice to use instead of lives.
Yeah, Adventure mode in Melee was fun... once. After playing it through 25 times I never wanted to see it again. That's part of my reasoning behind individual adventures for each character rather than the same one for every character.

And yes, many characters would probably share a very similar story with some noticeable differences. An example would be Mario's and Luigi's adventures, like yo said. Pretty much the same layout of side-scrolling stages and battle stages, but with a couple different stages between the two, and maybe some different bosses (Petey Piranha for Mario and King Boo for Luigi or something...). Overall though, adventure modes should be pretty unique for each character in order to retain replay value.

With Brawl, ALOT of people knew about its presence, and the main concern was "Who's in the game?! WHO'S IN THE GAME!?!?"
Unfortunately, there is a lot of truth to this. And unfortunately, I don't imagine things being any different when/if SSB4 is announced.

Many people knew who'd be in the game. Sites had a confirmed list of characters and there were many videos, blogs and threads about them. Since many were aware of who got in, it would be kind of frustrating to jump through Melee-level hoops to get them in.... For Smash 4, if the characters are hard to obtain, then maybe the unlockable characters should remain a mystery.
There is probably a lot of truth to this too... and I agree. If Sakurai ends up doing anything similar to Smash Dojo!!, which I kind of hope he doesn't, the only things revealed should be elements of the game that you begin with. No hidden characters, stages or features should be revealed, even if a spoiler warning is provided like it was on the Dojo!!.

...we should only start out with a maximum of three newcomers. I feel, and I think you guys can agree, that newcomers should more or less stay unlockable. On the original site the first characters ever posted were Wario, Zero Suit, Snake, Pit, and Meta Knight. (I think, maybe just Wario, Snake and Pit)
It was all five. But I totally agree with this. Although I think we could put the cap on starting newcomers at 4 instead of five, like Melee (Peach, Bowser, Ice Climbers, Zelda/Shiek).

Look at these stats (not counting transformations):

MELEE:
Starting Veterans: ~ 10
Starting Newcomers: ~ 4
Hidden Veterans: ~ 2
Hidden Newcomers: ~ 9

BRAWL:
Starting Veterans: ~ 12
Starting Newcomers: ~ 9
Hidden Veterans: ~ 8
Hidden Newcomers: ~ 6

Melee got it perfect. It introduced a fraction of the newcomers in the starting roster, just to give the proper, fresh, sequel feel. At the same time, it kept us wondering whether some of the veterans like Jigglypuff and Luigi would return by keeping them hidden. Most importantly, The majority of newcomers remained hidden to allow for a sense of surprise and discovery upon unlocking them, and the majority of veterans were in the starting roster. It's this sense of surprise and discovery that I loved about Melee. Honestly, it's that feeling that kept me playing, wondering what new, undiscovered character I would stumble upon next. The perfect balance between hidden characters, newcomers, starting characters, and veterans was attained in Melee, and I'd love it to return in SSB4.

Now Brawl... Brawl did it all wrong. The sense of surprise and discovery that I experienced in Melee was not present in Brawl nearly as often as it was in Melee, and it all happened to soon. It wasn't enough to keep me playing, not enough to keep me interested (most new features were spoiled for me anyway before I owned the game). But look at the difference... The starting roster consisted of 9 newcomers. NOT cool in my eyes. I was originally under the impression that Meta Knight, Pit, and Wario would be the only starting newcomers since they were unveiled long before the release of the game, but I was wrong. THAT would have been quite ideal, though. And most of the hidden characters were veterans? There was nothing surprising or fun about unlocking all the returning melee hidden characters again, along with all of the original hidden characters (it REALLY ticked me off that Captain Falcon and Ness were returned to hidden status....). The most annoying thing of all, only 6 newcomers were hidden. And two of them (Snake and Sonic) were spoiled for the world anyway, even if you didn't look at hidden features on the Dojo!!.

I REALLY hope that SSB4 doesn't go down the same path that Brawl did... Melee had it perfect. I'd like to feel that same surprised feeling I felt throughout all my years playing Melee.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
@SpydrEnzo:

Everything you said is exactly why I believe the DOJO daily updates did more harm to Brawl than good. I truly do hope next time they let the surprises remain intact.

mariorocks64

Smash Journeyman
Maybe it would help if Nintendo just kept silent about anything unlockable. If I ran Brawl

Diddy, Olimarr, and Lucas would be hidden.
R.O.B would be unlocked by completing the entire SSE on intense.
No characters would be unlocked from SSE except for R.O.B
Luigi would be unlocked by completing classic mode with R.O.B
Captain Falcon would be unlocked by playing the game for 7 hours.
Sonic would be unlocked by completing adventure mode in 5 minutes!
unlock Diddy by completing classic mode with Luigi and Donkey Kong
I guess Lucas would be unlocked by completing classic mode for the first time
Then Ness would be unlocked by winning 10 brawls as Lucas.
Wolf would be unlocked by using Fox or Falco's taunt to call the Star fox crew on Lylat cruise.
To unlock Jigglypuff, taunt atleast once in every battle in Classic mode.
Toon Link would be unlocked by completing classic mode on Hard with Link
Olimar wil be unlocked by completing boss battles.
Then King dedede will be unlocked by beating the event match "Two trouble kings"
As for Snake, just play 400 brawls

Now, when SSB4 is announced, how will we stop everyone from spoiling the surprises?

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
What surprises dude screw surprise sooner or later you will know the rooster what are you saying is nonsense the dojo must be back and if you don't wanna know anything don't use the dojo and there is no reason to not have the dojo I bet the dojo increased the excitement in fans and made them buy the game in the first day.

mariorocks64

Smash Journeyman
What surprises dude screw surprise sooner or later you will know the rooster what are you saying is nonsense the dojo must be back and if you don't wanna know anything don't use the dojo and there is no reason to not have the dojo I bet the dojo increased the excitement in fans and made them buy the game in the first day.
Sure, the dojo gives people enough hype to by the game as quickly as possible (Some people flew a plane to Japan just to play the game early), but to just spill out every hidden content carelesssly reduces the thrills WHILE playing the game. This was one of the reasons players begin to grow boredom halfway in the game.

Take melee for example. I liked the newcomers. Bowser and ice climbers attracted my attention. Then, as I played the game, I'm surprised to see the newcomers that I unlock. Mr. G&W was the largest surprise.

The dojo shouldn't give away too much information before we actually play it. They should only tell us about three or two newcomers and thats it. make SSB4 undpredictable, but remove tripping.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
In all fairness, the roster would've been revealed anyway thanks to the powers of the Internet. That being said, I have to agree that Melee had it right in terms of who's unlockable. For Brawl, I would've had Pit, Meta Knight, Zero Suit Samus, Snake, Sonic, and Pokemon Trainer unlocked from the start, with everyone else unlockable.

Back to those selected newcomers though. Snake and Sonic should be default because there's no sense in making them locked if everyone knows they're in.

Also, does anyone think what could be changed for Zamus? Should she be kept as is with some new stuff or a total revamp?

Kantrip

Kantplay
Is anyone else a bit worried about controllers for SSB4? I'm fearful that the next console will say good-bye to gamecube controller slots since it probably won't be backwards compatible with gamecube games.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Maybe it would help if Nintendo just kept silent about Now, when SSB4 is announced, how will we stop everyone from spoiling the surprises?
That's impossible. Its like trying to stop the sun from shining.

I agree that we'll know sooner or later, and tbh I LOVED the Dojo. No developer has ever gone THAT in-depth about their game, and if it wasn't for that there'd be many minor things I'd never know about--like the more realistic characters making a less impressive tripping sound (hate tripping btw), or that some characters if knocked down would eat food in that position too, or the pokemon that swaps players' characters. You're right about the site helping the hype too. Each update was fuel for the fire and kept the game's presence constant. For me, the updates were like studying for a test. When I got Brawl on launch day, I was so prepared it felt like I was a step ahead.

I don't agree with your "if you don't wanna know anything don't use the dojo" comment. There were MANY, MANY sites that echoed the updates. If you didn't want to know ANYTHING (which is kinda hard), you'd probably have to avoid:
-smashbros.com
-anything SSB related on YouTube
-video game websites like ign, gameinformer/spot/faqs/spy/(anything I forgot to put), g4tv, nintendo forums, video game forums, smashboards, etc
-people who were very excited for the game

but to just spill out every hidden content carelesssly reduces the thrills WHILE playing the game. This was one of the reasons players begin to grow boredom halfway in the game.
I wouldn't say it was done carelessly though. I followed the updates until Sakurai started to actually spoil the secret stuff. Even with that in mind, there was a warning page for the spoilers that popped up and required you to click yes, iirc. I didn't mind the regular stuff he revealed because it was already default. Oh, and some of the updates were REALLY minor, almost to the point where it would only be surprising if you were new to the series.

In all fairness, the roster would've been revealed anyway thanks to the powers of the Internet.
Agreed.

Anyway, I liked what Sakurai did with the dojo, but I understand that not everyone did. That being said, I'm fine with an in-depth or bare minimum of details approach to the next SSB. I was suggesting that maybe it would be good for the roster to be a secret if the characters are hard to obtain, but if not then I would like them quickly. Also, maybe coming to smashboards might be a bad idea if you don't want SSB4 to be spoiled after its been revealed. Just saying.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
The dojo didn't just reveal the roster, it revealed EVERYTHING. It left nothing at ALL to be discovered. With both the dojo, internet leaks, AND terrible Starter discissions we were doomed. Plus, you can't blame the interenet that much, I mean every game is going to have everything revealed, just most won't do it on their own website. "The powers of the internet is mightly lame excuse if you ask me. It's not like the internet wasn't around for Melee and 64.

As for Zamus, she could go either way. I'm not fond of her playstyle really, but that doesn't neccisarily make it a bad one. I wouldn't mind a change, but some characters should be fixed before her.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
I absolutely loved the DOJO!! and the whole idea of daily updates on weekdays. It certainly increased the hype and only made me want the game more and more after each day. Once the game came out though, a part of me felt like I had already been playing it for a year. The DOJO!! went so in-depth that I wasn't able to discover, enjoy, and experience most of the features for myself. I knew what everything did and where everything was and that kind of ruined it all for me. No sense of surprise or discovery to keep me going.

Of course, even without the DOJO!!, the roster would have instantly been leaked onto the internet. Still, it is much easier to avoid spoilers when something like the DOJO!! isn't present. It was awesome at first, but I hope most of the game (at least all of the features available from the beginning) is kept unveiled until release. Like someone stated before, the DOJO!! probably did more to damage one's experience of Brawl than to help it in the long run. At least it did to me.

And by the way, if I ran the development of Brawl, the starting/hidden roster would have looked more like this:

STARTING CHARACTERS
Mario
Peach
Bowser
Donkey Kong
Link
Zelda/Shiek
Samus/Zero Suit Samus
Yoshi
Kirby
Meta Knight
Fox
Falco
Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Captain Falcon
Ness
Marth
Wario
Ice Climbers
Pit

HIDDEN CHARACTERS
Luigi
-(Play 50 Vs. Matches)
-(Complete Classic Mode as Mario on any difficulty without continuing)

Diddy Kong
-(Play 100 Vs. Matches)
-(Complete 100-Man Brawl)

Lucas
-(Play 150 Vs. Matches)
-(Complete Event Match 21, "Visit to Onett" on any difficulty level))

Pokemon Trainer
-(Play 200 Vs. Matches)
-(Complete Target Smash!! on all difficulty levels)

Ike
-(Play 300 Vs. Matches)
-(Complete Classic Mode in under 10 minutes on Normal difficulty or higher)

King Dedede
-(Play 400 Vs. Matches)
-(Complete Classic Mode with 10 characters)

Ganondorf
-(Play 450 Vs. Matches)
-(Complete Event Match 31, "The Ultimate Bodyguard" on any difficulty level)

Olimar
-(Play 550 Vs. Matches)
-(Complete Classic mode as all 20 starting characters)

Snake
-(Play 600 Vs. Matches)
-(Complete any of the four stadium modes at least once as all starting and veteran characters (besides Mr. Game & Watch))

Toon Link
-(Play 650 Vs. Matches)
-(Complete Classic Mode as Link, Zelda, Shiek, and Ganondorf)

Mr. Game & Watch
-(Play 700 Vs. Matches)
-(Complete Classic Mode as all veteran fighters)

Lucario
-(Play 800 Vs. Matches)
-(Play group battles (Brawl, Special Brawl, Tourney) for a total of 15 hours)

Sonic
-(Play 850 Vs. Matches)
-(Complete the adventure mode, "The Subspace Emissary" on any difficulty level)

Wolf
-(Play 900 Vs. Matches)
-(Complete Boss Battles Mode as either Fox or Falco)

R.O.B.
-( Play 1000 Vs. Matches)
-(Complete Classic Mode as all characters, or complete Target Smash!! as all characters)

I made the conditions for unlocking each character more difficult as well as increasing the amount of Vs. matches that needed to be played if one was to unlock all characters by only playing Vs. Matches. Luigi, Ganondorf, and Mr. Game & Watch are the only hidden veterans, while Meta Knight, Wario, and Pit (and zero Suit Samus) are the only starting Newcomers.

This is something that I would have liked to see in Brawl.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
In all fairness, the roster would've been revealed anyway thanks to the powers of the Internet. That being said, I have to agree that Melee had it right in terms of who's unlockable. For Brawl, I would've had Pit, Meta Knight, Zero Suit Samus, Snake, Sonic, and Pokemon Trainer unlocked from the start, with everyone else unlockable.

Back to those selected newcomers though. Snake and Sonic should be default because there's no sense in making them locked if everyone knows they're in.

Also, does anyone think what could be changed for Zamus? Should she be kept as is with some new stuff or a total revamp?
But think about it. Had the DOJO not have been supplying the stream of information there would have been more of a surprise towards release. People have said, "you should have just stayed away from the website". Honestly, that is easier said then done when website after website republishes and discusses the latest reveal. It isn't feasible to think someone could go the entirety of a year and a half's time without spoiling things. Most don't have the willpower to forego the internet altogether, I know I sure dont. :\

Brawl's biggest failure was in putting to many characters in the initial roster. More should have been hidden and had the Melee characters either hidden alongside or in their place.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Don't be babies! You can also just olay 800 rounds! Hah. :) No one is complaining about becoming presitge x15 in COD. At least that's a big goal you can strive for. I don't mind characters that take a month to get. It makes getting them 9000x's the sweeter. Course, even I have my limits. I wouldn't want to play for the amount of time it would take to become prestige x15 for a single character.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
*Wanders back in, half ashamed that I still haven't done anything with that Wiisports/Pilot Wings track list*

*Sees the new site layout*

What the balls? They decided to keep the old look for so many years and just change it now?

So how about that Cafe thing, eh guys? Looking at projections of what the controler looks like, I'm somewhat concerned in certain regards if it will have analog stick, but assuming that it really does, I do wonder how exactly the next Smash would use the touch screen in the middle. I suppose the maps could be a lot bigger due to that, or maybe it could be used for hotkeys or something.

Edit: Oh yeah, the 20 hour unlock thing is a bad idea no matter how you spin it.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Plus, you can't blame the interenet that much, I mean every game is going to have everything revealed, just most won't do it on their own website. "The powers of the internet is mightly lame excuse if you ask me. It's not like the internet wasn't around for Melee and 64.
Well, the fact that the Dojo!! and all the leaks can be revealed through the internet kinda indicates something. And yeah, the internet was around for 64 and Melee, but it was much more advanced from E3 2006 to March 9, 2008. I'm pretty sure some video game forums and sites like YouTube weren't around when 64 was out.

Brawl characters were too easy to unlock, but hell no for 20 hours thing again

Also,
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2011/110425_4e.pdf
Yeah, 20 hours to unlock someone is why I wouldn't want to know who's in. If my favorite character has to be obtained that way, then it would be a little frustrating to jump through that hoop. I'd rather run into them by accident.

Anyway, that new system letter link you've provided is intersting news. Maybe it will be out in the early part of 2012.

EDIT:
So how about that Cafe thing, eh guys? Looking at projections of what the controler looks like, I'm somewhat concerned in certain regards if it will have analog stick, but assuming that it really does, I do wonder how exactly the next Smash would use the touch screen in the middle. I suppose the maps could be a lot bigger due to that, or maybe it could be used for hotkeys or something.
Its cool to know about new systems, but I haven't been following most of the rumors cuz...they're rumors.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
I suppose. I may have jumped the gun too in terms of acceptance of certain rumors now that it has been confirmed BY ign that the system will show up at E3. Still shouldn't just assume that the controller screen is true just yet.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
If Nintendo is smart, they pull a Gamecube, and release a new Smash Bros within the first couple of months of launch (of Cafe). From the rumors, it's looking like June 2012.

A November 2012 launch of Smash 4 would be their main holiday title, and it could really show off the new online capabilities of the console.

hype

Anth0ny

Smash Master
I really hope they don't pull a Twilight Princess and release SS on Cafe.

As much as I'd love to play Zelda in 1080p, I want to play a game on my Wii this year.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
If Nintendo is smart, they pull a Gamecube, and release a new Smash Bros within the first couple of months of launch (of Cafe). From the rumors, it's looking like June 2012.

A November 2012 launch of Smash 4 would be their main holiday title, and it could really show off the new online capabilities of the console.

hype
I'd prefer they'd wait to release it a year or so after the next console. At least then, your chances of a rushed title are much less likely (as Brawl was still rushed).

And you know what, I'm starting to think SSB4 will be a revamp in the series. Not necessarily a reboot, but I see a major shift in gameplay.

Tanon

Smash Rookie
  1. Fix MK
  2. Increase Hitstun for better combos
  3. Story Mode GTFO
  4. Remove the walls from HRC, allow us to juggle sandbag outside platform, as long as it doesn't touch the ground
  5. 1 or two more third-party characters, not too many though as the majority should still be nintindo characters
  6. Smash Ball is ********, most people don't even play with it on anymore
  7. More techs, but keep the airdodging in brawl the same, that was better than the directional dodge in melee
  8. Give Ike a projectile, or make him faster (only because I Like IKE!)
  9. No more attacks, don't add more button combinations, the standard ground tilts, grabs, smashes, arials and specials are ENOUGH. Don't overcomplicate the game
  10. Give option to play any music on any stage....
  11. Mario's cape is broken. Keep it in the game.
That's pretty much all my suggestions, although god knows why I put this up, Sakurai obviously won't read it

OH, and allow custom textures to be downloaded easily off the internet, so we don't have to hack for those.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
I'd prefer they'd wait to release it a year or so after the next console. At least then, your chances of a rushed title are much less likely (as Brawl was still rushed).

And you know what, I'm starting to think SSB4 will be a revamp in the series. Not necessarily a reboot, but I see a major shift in gameplay.
Well if you go by past experience, then its actually the opposite. SSBM was completed ahead of schedule, getting the clones and all, and was basically there a month after the Gamecube launch. Brawl on the other hand had to be rushed out a bit, but was released well over a year later. :V

But yeah, the possibility of a revamp is clearly there. One would assume that it would mean only a few new characters, but the mechanics for the veterans would be overhauled or changed in some way.

EDIT: Oh yeah, its really unlikely that you'd be allowed to download textures from the internet. Too much of a liability for smut/copyright nonsense for Nintendo's tastes, probably.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Adding a few new characters in is fine by me so as long as there is a solid design. IMO, Smash is not quite solid in my book.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
If SSB4 is indeed playable, don't expect anything more than a beta build. Looking at the 3DS, Nintendo's looking to let the 3rd parties shine before they start throwing their stuff out as we all know Nintendo is without a doubt one of the best game developers out there.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I don't want to react to those rumors yet, so I'm not gonna comment.

Anyway, I have another proposal.

What if there was an item that worked like the Motion Sensor Bomb, Pitfall, and that Pokemon who swallows you whole? This item wouldn't be a combination of those three; it would only be similar in the sense that it waits around for its victim to get close. Its a trap item, and can either be thrown at an opponent, or more effectively, at the ground where it lies flat, like a bear trap. When an opponent stands on it, the item activates and springs to life--trapping the player inside. I'm imagining this item as sphere-like, and as heavy as a barrel. When someone is trapped inside, it becomes a regular item. ANYONE can pick up the item when this happens, and throw them off the stage. The victim can escape, so you should act quickly.

About the item, its heavy for balance. It would be very easy to pick up a player, quickly walk to the edge and throw them off if this item was lightweight, and useless if the victim can get out easily. The heaviness can give a sense that its resistent to re-opening, but give the victim a chance to escape. To give examples of this item, its like:
-Yoshi turning someone into an egg that can be picked up and thrown by anyone
-Kirby/Dedede inhaling someone, THEN becoming an item to be thrown
-Being able to turn someone into an item for an easier way to get rid of them

That's my proposal. Here are the key features:
-It lies in wait for a victim, then quickly encases them. Trap item.
-Heavy as a barrel. Keeps the victim from being KO'd quickly as well as making it hard for them to break out.

I imagine it as a ball shape, but I'm willing to change that. Opinions?

EDIT:
Am I the only one who enjoyed the SSE?
The cutscenes were good.

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
Make the online better is all I want. Host rooms and set the rules etc etc...not that current garbage online we have now. Oh no more if disconnecting every time and getting bogus errors...I'm sure everyone is tired of disconnecting through BS.

:phone:

mariorocks64

Smash Journeyman
I think Nintendo does look at fan service, but mostly the fan service in Japan. I want to find atleast 1 person who suggested R.O.B to be in Brawl in North America.

If I'm right, more of our idease could come to life if we made suggestions on Japanese Smash boards.

If SSB4 is really coming to Wii 2, then...

YESZ!

I pray that Toad will be added to the game this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom