• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiyosuki

Smash Journeyman
I would be totally down for Simon Belmont. I don't know if another game would have a sountrack as expansive as Brawls' is yet of course, but I do know that Castlevania music kicks serious amounts of *** and having it as a part of any varied roster of music would make it just that much better.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I would be totally down for Simon Belmont. I don't know if another game would have a sountrack as expansive as Brawls' is yet of course, but I do know that Castlevania music kicks serious amounts of *** and having it as a part of any varied roster of music would make it just that much better.
I'm not big on Castlevania, but I have to strongly agree there. If Castlevania: Order of Ecclessia and Castlevania Judgement garner enough rep (along with any other future titles), then perhaps we'll see Simon in the next Smash Bros. Plus, we need a touch of dark to the game (sorry, but nothing - not even Ganondorf - can amount to the not-so-goodness of Castlevania). Of course he would feel a bit like Snake's inclusion felt at the time of announcement (which still rings today), but I would gladly accept him. There are little 3rd party characters that I would allow into Smash Bros: he, Bomberman (long-time fan), Megaman (don't want him, but he'd definitely fit), and despite their impossibility, I would love Banjo-Kazooie. Other than that - no one. I'd hate to see any 3rd party series sport more than one playable rep. For the record, however, I would take 1st and 2nd party characters over 3rd parties any day.

The Bomberman Hero soundtrack was genius. I'd thoroughly enjoy that in Smash Bros.

Rosalina
Bowser Jr.
Kat & Ana
Waluigi

King K. Rool
Toon Zelda
Vaati
Ridley
Gardevoir
Gallade

----------------------
3rd Party Newcomers

Gray Fox
Tails
Knuckles

I can't bring myself to agree with you on most of these characters at all.

Rosalina - Firstly, the Mario world has so many great characters and enemies to choose from - unique ones at that. Rosalina, despite her differences, would be a heavy Peach, and if not in every single move, she certainly would be in both appearance and the general form of play. Yeah, Marth and Ike play differently, but they're both far too similar anyways. Both are from Fire Emblem, both use swords, both have blue hair - it'd be the same with Peach and Rosalina. She was basically created as a substitute for Peach anyways, and to introduce a new female face to the Mario series. She is not needed, and will probably never hold much importance in an epic Mario title again.

Bowser Jr. - Can't say much about him. He's not my favorite, but he'd be an interesting addition. I no way could I even imagine him being a clone of Bowser, so that helps to bump his necessity.

Kat & Ana / Waluigi - Firstly, Kat & Ana are obnoxious characters. Poor character design, no real importance, and are just downright (hate to put it this way) lame. A quick, ninja Ice Climbers-type character. Not needed. Waluigi has yet to hold any importance anywhere, other than another Mario Bros thwart/evil-clone. Yeah, he would probably have a unique moveset, but would be extremely extraneous. Unless he pulls of some miraculous job as a main character in an upcoming WarioWare/Wario Land (or Waluigi Land) game, then he should not even be considered. He's a new age filler.

King K. Rool - Love the guy, he should be in. I can't say much more, other than his inclusion would promote the Donkey Kong series, and would bring a nice taste of nostalgia to Smash Bros. You can't go wrong there.

Toon Zelda / Vaati - Surprisingly, this is a great idea. It may be too many Zelda characters, however, but it does work. Three "realistic" Zelda characters - Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf (hero, sidekick, villain), and three "toon" Zelda characters - Link, Zelda, and Vaati. While I don't care for Vaati at all, and while the Zelda series does lean more towards the "realistic" half, this is a great idea. Unless Vaati returns in an upcoming Zelda title (I'm talking a console "toon" Zelda title), I wouldn't count on him making the cut.

Ridley - As much a fan of Ridley as I am, I would not want his epicness scaled down. There are other Metroid villains that could be included on the roster, and despite Ridley's towering popularity and importance over the others, he simply should stay away from the Roster. He's too good for it.

Gardevoir / Gallade - This is horrible. Why are they so popular anyways? There's nothing special about them, not in the games or the anime (which is what promotes characters to the roster for the most part) so why include them? Out of all 493 Pokemon, many of which wouldn't work anyways, but also taking into account the massive amount of "bipedal" Pokemon, why two Pokemon from the same family? Pikachu AND Pichu were bad enough as it is. Mewtwo could hardly balance the Pikachu-Pichu-Jigglypuff cute chain, and the Pokemon roster in Brawl is pretty balanced to say the least. We do not need both Gardevoir AND Gallade, let alone either of them. I love Mewtwo, but I'd rather Deoxys join the group, but not even that is going to happen. Man, I would love to have Magmar and Electabuzz included on the roster, but I'm not promoting them, because they would never make it. If we get anyone else, it'll be a Pokemon from the 5th or 6th Gen. Please blot Gardevoir and Gallade out.

Tails / Knuckles / Gray Fox - We do not need more than one rep for third party series. Period. If Sonic is awkward enough alone, then remove him, don't dilute him with more reps from his series so he'll fit in more. The same goes for Snake. Gray Fox is entirely unnecessary. Why give Sonic more reps than F-Zero and Metroid? That's preposterous. Third party characters really shouldn't even be in. I love Bomberman, and have wanted him to be included in Smash Bros since SSB64, but I would gladly sacrifice his inclusion for a first/second party character.

ducky285

Smash Journeyman
Anyone wanna discuss game mechanics? Like stuff on how to improve or to build on the current engine?

Tripping should be in. RANDOM tripping should be out. A lot of characters can force trips with d-tilts and other moves and I think that's fine. If anyone has a reason why that wouldn't work, I'll be glad to hear you out.

I've been toying around with the idea of backward ground moves, specifically b-tilt and b-smash. B-smash would be easy to implement, just smash in the opposite direction. The properties of this move would be different than the f-smash and would be ultimately character dependent. B-tilt is a bit more difficult unless you're good at slightly moving the analog tick in the reverse direction. Just a thought...

I wanna revisit my old suggestion of a meter based system. My idea would be to have three Smash stocks next to your damage meter. A smaller meter would be below the damage meter that fills as you deal damage. Once it fills, you earn a Smash stock. Each one allows you to do a special move, like a move cancel or hitstun/momentum cancel. three stocks allows you to enter Final Smash mode (via a special trigger, methinks) and perform an FS by pressing B.

I was also thinking of implementing an air-grab system. Do an airdodge and press A immediately to grab an opponent near you and throw them away. It would be an interesting way to punish overly aggressive opponents in the air.

I feel some form of wavedash should be in the game, but it should be easier to do and easier to learn. Not to the point where you can do it with a single button press but at least we can get fewer whiners complaining about it.

Questions? Comments? Or you can just continue the same ongoing discussions on the roster that has been going on since the beginning of this thread. :/

Spire

III
BRoomer
I wanna revisit my old suggestion of a meter based system. My idea would be to have three Smash stocks next to your damage meter. A smaller meter would be below the damage meter that fills as you deal damage. Once it fills, you earn a Smash stock. Each one allows you to do a special move, like a move cancel or hitstun/momentum cancel. three stocks allows you to enter Final Smash mode (via a special trigger, methinks) and perform an FS by pressing B.

I was also thinking of implementing an air-grab system. Do an airdodge and press A immediately to grab an opponent near you and throw them away. It would be an interesting way to punish overly aggressive opponents in the air.
Yes and yes. I had not thought about a meter system before, but your idea clearly has a strong foundation and a large ground to build on. Things change between titles in a series, and the Final Smashes direly need to change. I'm sure some people love to chase after a Smash Ball - which completely interferes with the flow of the match - but earning a Final Smash is so much more rewarding. Then you're actually fighting, and strategy ensues tenfold. It's a great way to bring players into the world of smash rather than busting their balls trying to get a final smash.

As for air-grabbing, I had thought about this idea before, but never brought it up. I think side-throws shouldn't be too effective in the air, but down throws should definitely be, as you're using gravity to your advantage. A down throw could also inevitably give you a slight "toadstool jump" off of your opponent (only slightly) as you send them crashing down. It could essentially be a spike, but your opponent should be able to pull out of it, and pulling the move off itself would require precise positioning and timing.

koopa cape located at the end of rainbow road
Anyone wanna discuss game mechanics? Like stuff on how to improve or to build on the current engine?

Tripping should be in. RANDOM tripping should be out. A lot of characters can force trips with d-tilts and other moves and I think that's fine. If anyone has a reason why that wouldn't work, I'll be glad to hear you out.

I've been toying around with the idea of backward ground moves, specifically b-tilt and b-smash. B-smash would be easy to implement, just smash in the opposite direction. The properties of this move would be different than the f-smash and would be ultimately character dependent. B-tilt is a bit more difficult unless you're good at slightly moving the analog tick in the reverse direction. Just a thought...

I feel some form of wavedash should be in the game, but it should be easier to do and easier to learn. Not to the point where you can do it with a single button press but at least we can get fewer whiners complaining about it.

Questions? Comments? Or you can just continue the same ongoing discussions on the roster that has been going on since the beginning of this thread. :/
i like the backward smash idea. I think that could also lead to new special moves for eack characters. I also like the tripping as a result of certain moves idea.

But i dont think the meter you suggested would work. I think it would be to similar to street fighter or other games like that. We already have in match power-up types things (super mushroom, metal block, etc.) and i dont think that it would work well in smash.

I also like the idea of air grabing. That would be an interesting addition and would probably lead to a whole mess of new techniques.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter

First of all Tripping should be out, even if it can easily be manuvered in some way period.

so basically what your trying to say is for this "damage meter system" to take over and get rid of the Smash Ball? I think not, even though I could see this working, I beleive this wouldn't be the best idea for accumalating a special, but I do like the idea of beinf able to cancel out a move/momentum which seems fair for that matter

I agree with your last point, which is what made Melee better than Brawl in the first place,if indeed such a form of wavedashing (or l-cancelling) would make a comeback then truly Smash 4 would be the greatest of all smashes yet, but I don't beleive it would be as easy as pressing a single button which would take the fun out of mastering it

SirKibble

Smash Champion
I agree with you there. I'm completely fine with characters tripping because of certain moves. I'm also okay with the possibility of tripping while standing on ice. Try to run while you're on ice, yeah, there's a decent chance you'll trip and fall on your face in the process. But on basic, everyday ground... No.

Hmm... I have mixed feelings about this. It could work, definitely, but I kind of like the Side Smash and Side Special being applicable to both sides. For a lot of characters, it lets you change direction in the air with the Special, and the Smash being the same either way has good uses in turning around as well.

This, I really don't think would go over too well. It's just not the way Smash Bros. works.

I love this idea, I've been toying with it myself. I think the most effective way for it to work would be an automatic throw. As soon as you grab, your character performs their air throw, which is unique to each character and has a set direction. Some characters throw straight down, some up, etc. You could make it the same as ground grabbing, but this auto-throw makes it more of a single move, and doesn't make/allow players to select a throw direction in mid-air. It would kind of force you to use your character's air throw in the right way and position to make it most effective. I'd like it better that way, I think, but it would work either way. In any case, I like the idea.

Shadow Calibur

Smash Ace
I've been getting tired of random tripping, so this IS a welcome idea. I think it'll work.

A B-smash might work. B-tilts... meh. I don't think a b-tilt would work.

Nonono. Wouldn't work too well. If there is to be a meter system, though, I'd like it for Final Smashes only- those Smash Balls are too much of a nuisance.

Wow. I was JUST about to post this idea. I think it could be implemented well.

I feel kind of mixed on this one.

I do have an idea of a new technique, but I've got somewhat mixed feelings about my idea.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
You know what would be the most broken item to put in Smash Bros? The Hyper Candy from the Kirby sieres. It makes you invincable and makes you faster. Much better then getting a star. XD

Golem the Stern Father

Smash Champion
TyfighterLAND. Location#2: Illinois? Yeah.
You know what would be the most broken item to put in Smash Bros? The Hyper Candy from the Kirby sieres. It makes you invincable and makes you faster. Much better then getting a star. XD
Hammer is to Golden Hammer as Star is to Hyper Candy.

If Sakurai is directing SSB4, he might add another uber powerful item (and the music change like in Kirby64). It's like having a star and bunny ears without jumping high.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
I think Sakurai should direct SSB4, should it come into existence. I know loads of you hate him (for whatever reason I don't know, he's a legend) but I think he'll do the best job and listen to the fans.

He gave us stage builder, he gave us Sonic, he gave us a proper story mode. Once he hears how much the community hated tripping, he'll enter an option to turn it off for SSB4, or remove it.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
"TWILTHERO said:
For Female representatatives: Micaiah (Fire Emblem), Krystal (Star Fox), And maybe Dixie (DK)

For Villains: King K. Rool (Dk), Vaati, And this guy=(Black Knight)
By the time SSB4 gets here, we'll have had at least two more Fire Emblem games, so Micaiah'll most likely be out of the running. Same goes for the Black Knight--his big chance was probably in Brawl, but he obviously missed it. :ohwell:

the_Capt_Falcon_Master said:
And to all those people who wanted little mac in smash (i know there are some out there i tried to convince them that he would never be in smash as a playable) i think this would be a great replacement. So in a way it satisfies two sets of fans. But yeah other then joe i dont see any other options.
No. Not at all--Little Mac is way cooler than Knuckle Joe, any way you slice it. He's one of the better options for a retro character.

But there's nothing saying they both couldn't be in. I just don't think Knuckle Joe'd relieve the pain of no Little Mac.

AgentJGV said:
When they first made smash, it was a "we have some extra money, lets make a game where all the characters fight!" spur of the moment thing. They only planned on one. Of coarse now we see that they have three.
If you read the "Iwata Aks" things with Sakurai, you'd know this is wrong. Sakurai had been working on the Smash 64 system in his spare time, and originally, it was just going to be a bunch of random characters. But after some professional review by his higher-ups, the decision was made to put Nintendo characters in the game.

It was in no way a spur of the moment idea to make some quick cash. And of course, after Smash 64 did so well, and was followed by the blockbuster that was Melee, there's no way you can actually think that Nintendo doesn't intend to make more Smash.

SirKibble said:
I'm not sure if I'm a fan of the Animal Crosser or not, but Ray 01 is definitely one I want included. Ray's the starting Robo you get in the GameCube Custom Robo. He'd make a seriously awesome addition to Smash.
Not only that, he's the mascot for the entire series, all the way up from the 64 games, to the recent DS incarnation.

Mechanine said:
I would kind of like the idea of individualistic shields. Like, how Yoshi has his own.

Actually, the only other thing I'd like would be for the game to make slamming into things - like when you don't tech - do damage. It seems to make sense to me, especially when being thrown into air will do damage to you.
Technically, every character does have unique shields. There's just always a bubble over them, that's all. The bubble's just easier to see the status of. How could you show, say, Link's shield breaking down in an easily-recognizable fashion without that big red circle?

I like your second idea though. And if hit hard enough, it'd be awesome if you could send a character through breakable objects, like Skyworld's platforms.

quadz08 said:
Tingle. I think that's about all that needs to be said.

AgentJGV said:
Everyone's forgetting Simon from Castelvania.
Seriously. Add Megaman and Simon, and you've got yourself a perfect 3rd-party lineup.

Tripping should be in. RANDOM tripping should be out.

I've been toying around with the idea of backward ground moves, specifically b-tilt and b-smash.

I wanna revisit my old suggestion of a meter based system.

I was also thinking of implementing an air-grab system.

I feel some form of wavedash should be in the game, but it should be easier to do and easier to learn.
Sorry, I trimmed your post a bit, just to include the basic ideas.

Tripping = yeah, this needs to change. If you tried to "dashdance", you should trip too. It's a ridiculous technique anyways.

Reverse Moves = if this were to happen, it'd have to be only a slight change. Like, if Marth did a reverse smash, it'd have slightly less range, due to the twist of his body. Having completely different moves would complicate things, I think.

Meter System = eh, still no, I think. Maybe the Smash Ball system could change, but not like this. This'd add a new element of planning to the game, which I don't think suits it.

"I have one stock, so I can probably get around his projectiles, but I'd better not do that right yet, because then I'll be totally defenseless after I get up to him..."

...Or something like that.

Air Grabs = Definitely. SirKibble shares my thoughts on this.

Wavedashing = I completely disagree with this. I always though wavedashing was stupid, and I'm glad to be finally rid of it.

trev94

Smash Journeyman
i am hoping they put in paper mario and king k rule. i want to see diffent pokeom for trainer and get jiggal puff out of there and bring back mewtwo and roy

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
i am hoping they put in paper mario and king k rule. i want to see diffent pokeom for trainer and get jiggal puff out of there and bring back mewtwo and roy
Paper Mario really should be. He'd be 2D, like G&W, but when he turned around, his "paper" body would flip in 3D.

And this makes me think of something for the Pokemon Trainer--why limit it to just Charizard, Ivysaur and Squirtle? Why not add in more Pokemon for him/her (they should add a female version, too)? At the character select screen, you could swap between the 1st Generation starters, or the 3rd or 5th starters (Treecko, Marshtomp and Blaziken / whatever the 5th gen starters are), then from there, choose which Pokemon to start out as.

EDIT - Something else: what do you guys think about Crono's chances, especially now that Chrono Trigger's coming back on the DS? I think he's pretty much the best pick for a Square-Enix character right now, but maybe that's just me.

5 more days!

EDIT - Something else: what do you guys think about Crono's chances, especially now that Chrono Trigger's coming back on the DS? I think he's pretty much the best pick for a Square-Enix character right now, but maybe that's just me.

5 more days!
watch out dude or else the geno fanboys will be coming outta the woodwork flaming you to death on why geno is better.

quadz08

Smash Cadet
I really think that Lloyd from Tales of Symphonia should be in there. Yes, I'm an incredibly biased ToS fan. But still. The best RPG for the GCN deserves some representaion, no? And besides, Lloyd is awesome. :)

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Master Chief won't work because he doesn't fit. He's just not as interesting a character. Solid Snake fits because he's an interesting character. Master Chief? No, no. Master cliche.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Halo doesn't work because it was created by Microsoft, which doesn't allow Nintendo to use their characters.

Likewise, Banjo and Kazooie are out of the question since the company Rare is owned by the Microsoft company now. In fact, they're making a new Banjo-Kazooie game for the XBOX 360.

mariofanpm12

Smash Ace
you know, this thread should

a) be stickied, but we already know that

b) be seperated into SSB4 categories, like Characters, Features, Gameplay,etc.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
anyone who thinks master chief will ever be in smash also thinks bush is doing a good job and that we are winning in iraq.
There's nothing to win in Iraq anymore, but that's a thread for the debate forum.

Yes, the odds that Master Chief will be in Brawl are slim to none.

Far more likely than more 3rd party franchises are Nintendo-exclusive characters (Banjo isn't anymore) such as Issac that didn't make it as characters in this one. Also posisble, in the vein of Snake, are characters whose series had beginnings on the NES (Ninja Gaiden, Megaman).

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
you know, this thread should

a) be stickied, but we already know that

Be glad this thread even exists. You're speculating about a game that doens't have the possibility of anything existing for about another 4 years.

We aren't going to have subforums for that. It was horrendous enough having to mod the character specific room when we actually knew things about Brawl.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
I had a thought on how to incorporate a 5th Special move to everyone's roster. Now, people here have suggested backwards B moves; Say that Pit is facing to the left, so if you press left & B, he'll use his Angel Ring, but if he's facing left and you press right & B, he'll use a different special. The flaw here, is that this would make the Forward B moves limited. Say I was facing left and I WANTED to use my Smash B (Angel Ring in this case) to the right...

Then I saw the suggestion for the Side B moves to be dependant on how hard you press the direction, so really you'll have one special in the form of a B Smash, and a different one as a B Tilt/B Strong.

But my idea is this: B+A Specials.

We have B Specials: Mario's Fireball
We have Up B Specials: Mario's Super Jump Punch
We have Side B Specials: Mario's Cape
We have Down B Specials: Mario's FLUDD
We have the Final Smash : Mario's Mario Finale

So how about a A+B Special? You press A and B at the same time? A 5th special move, six specialized techniques in all?

Golem the Stern Father

Smash Champion
TyfighterLAND. Location#2: Illinois? Yeah.
But my idea is this: B+A Specials.

We have B Specials: Mario's Fireball
We have Up B Specials: Mario's Super Jump Punch
We have Side B Specials: Mario's Cape
We have Down B Specials: Mario's FLUDD
We have the Final Smash : Mario's Mario Finale

So how about a A+B Special? You press A and B at the same time? A 5th special move, six specialized techniques in all?
Well, it would be a nice replacement on the Wii remote, I thought pressing 1 and 2 for a Smash was odd.
It could work.

Captain Falcon's B+A: Falcon Knunch (Falcon Knee + Falcon Punch) Thus, he is banned for being overpowered.

There's nothing to win in Iraq anymore, but that's a thread for the debate forum.

Yes, the odds that Master Chief will be in Brawl are slim to none.

Far more likely than more 3rd party franchises are Nintendo-exclusive characters (Banjo isn't anymore) such as Issac that didn't make it as characters in this one. Also posisble, in the vein of Snake, are characters whose series had beginnings on the NES (Ninja Gaiden, Megaman).
thats what i was saying, and a question how do you get to be a smash debater?

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Well, it would be a nice replacement on the Wii remote, I thought pressing 1 and 2 for a Smash was odd.
It could work.

Captain Falcon's B+A: Falcon Knunch (Falcon Knee + Falcon Punch) Thus, he is banned for being overpowered.
Dude, if we had the real Captain Falcon in Brawl, it would be illegal for him to extend his Pinky Finger in a fight.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
WolfCypher said:
It wouldn't work on a GCN pad, which is honestly what really matters.

But then, the next Nintendo system might have anything as far as pads go, so...maybe.

quadz08 said:
I really think that Lloyd from Tales of Symphonia should be in there. Yes, I'm an incredibly biased ToS fan. But still. The best RPG for the GCN deserves some representaion, no? And besides, Lloyd is awesome.
Two things: 1) the best GCN RPG is Baten Kaitos. 2) The keyword here is "Gamecube". In other words, Lloyd's probably only chance was in Brawl. He's a relatively minor character in the Symphonia sequel, so I don't think that's going to help his chances much. Add to that the fact that he is a quite generic jRPG protagonist, and the better choices Namco has to offer, and I don't see it happening...

mariofanpm12 said:
I guarantee if this were to happen, only one of those mentioned sections would be posted in regularly (hint: it isn't gameplay or features...).

Also, this is all just bad speculation anyway. We don't need to separate that or anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom