• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

C.Olimar788

Smash Ace
Yeah, a six player match would be a nice addition, especially with options for large groups that have already been added like Tournament and Rotation. And since we all know the next Smash won't come out on the Wii and that the Wii has the power to have 6-player fights, we should be all set. ^_^

smashbot226

Smash Master
totally agree ment
most kids don't even know the old pokemon:\
a few days ago a kid asked me if ghastly was a new released pokemonO3o
F*ucking kids and their Lucario and Electivire...

NOBODY remembers Kingler nor Starmie!

On topic:

I'll be seriously pissed off if Sakurai doesn't de-clone most of the character.

Likely it'll happen, though.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
I'll be seriously pissed off if Sakurai doesn't de-clone most of the character.
Are Wolf/Falco and Lucas really that bad? The only character that needs to be decloned is Ganondorf. The others could do with maybe a few changes here and there, but nothing drastic.

Anyway, new idea:

What if each character had a unique respawn animation, similar to their individual entry animations? Rather than floating down on a glowing platform, Mario would jump out of a Warp Pipe, the Blue Falcon would come across the stage again, delivering Captain Falcon out of it, and so on.

C.Olimar788

Smash Ace
What if each character had a unique respawn animation, similar to their individual entry animations? Rather than floating down on a glowing platform, Mario would jump out of a Warp Pipe, the Blue Falcon would come across the stage again, delivering Captain Falcon out of it, and so on.
That'd be kind of awkward since you don't have to drop back onto the battle immediately. Seeing a Warp Pipe just sit there or the Blue Falcon park on the side of the stage would be a bit... weird. Plus not all the characters could work like that at all, like Sonic, Wario, Bowser, Peach, etc.

Spire

III
BRoomer
That'd be kind of awkward since you don't have to drop back onto the battle immediately. Seeing a Warp Pipe just sit there or the Blue Falcon park on the side of the stage would be a bit... weird. Plus not all the characters could work like that at all, like Sonic, Wario, Bowser, Peach, etc.
Unfortunately, this is true. Good idea, Mendez; something I've not seen come up in this thread yet.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
For Mario, only the tip of the Warp Pipe would appear above the ground, and would extend and spit out Mario once the player presses a button/after time expires.

Alternatively, the player's damage meter would glow softly, or have a big "A" button on top of it that flashes, to show that pressing A will spawn your character back in (though the time limit would still apply). When you press the A button, the entry animation would replay, only with the invincibility period afterwards.

I mean, I can see why the floating platform is nice, but I think this would just be cool.

OR

They could create respawn animations for each character separate from the entry animation. Though for the life of me I can't think of any...

C.Olimar788

Smash Ace
Ok, the idea of just having the % flash could work, but having little waiting animations wouldn't work for some of them, like Sonic. Although I'm not sure whether I like it better than the old recovery platform staple.

smashbot226

Smash Master
That Captain Falcon respawn plants the idea that if somebody gets hit by that thing...

YIKES.

Maybe we should just keep the platforms, but also the Character Entrances.

And YES, Falco is a god**** clone. Albeit a Luigified one, but still a clone.

I'll say which ones differ:

A Combo

Utilt

Fsmash

Fair (Slim choice; different animation, same properties.)

Nair

B

B>

----------

He's Luigi to Fox.

Lucas wasn't as terrible, but could use some originality in his Specials.

Same with Wolf. I could imagine him with an Aladdin type moveset for some reason.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Ok, tha\e idea of just having the % flash could work, but having little waiting animations wouldn't work for some of them, like Sonic. Although I'm not sure whether I like it better than the old recovery platform staple.
Sonic does have a pretty generic entry animation. Why he doesn't run onto the stage at the speed of light, then brake (with the classic braking sound) to a stop and wiggle his finger or something...is beyond me.

And yeah, the respawn platform is nice because they can always appear in the center of the stage, they don't obstruct other players, and it's a simple mechanic.

But then, that was the case for Melee's universal entry animation, wasn't it? ;)

EDIT - You missed his Down B, Up B (it goes shorter, and hits multiple times), and Down Air. I personally think that's as it should be: the characters themselves are very, very similar, even in the actual StarFox games. And Wolf's the same way--I think the moveset he has now accurately works in such a way as to reflect how similar he is to Fox, while highlighting his differences.

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
The only declone we need is Ganondorf, he carries much more weight than any other clone
The only one who is greater or equal to him is Luigi, however Luigi fits simply because he is Mario's brother.

Ganondorf being a clone is bull crap to the highest level, Falco you can kind of make sense of, Lucas was likely just time constraints but Ganondorf, they didn't make an effort and thats sad.

All other declones are wants.

Yes I can say what is a need or a want even if it is an opinion without it being a lie since it's opinion, because I am me.

I want a respawn thing for the stage builder, there are certain places you wish you could have that like caged matches in a custom stage.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Are Wolf/Falco and Lucas really that bad? The only character that needs to be decloned is Ganondorf. The others could do with maybe a few changes here and there, but nothing drastic.
The problem with those two is that people subconsciously expect these two to be similar to their predecessors. Most of this is due to their uninspiring special moves (which has now lost its meaning).

Wolf could have a gun based special moveset. Lucas could have a moveset more faithful to his game with PK Love, Hinawa's Pigeons, Salt Water Gun, and PK Counter.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
THERE ARE NO CLONES

How does no one get this?

Also, Ganondorf is fine. He just needs new specials.
EDIT:How does PK Counter work?

MajinNecro69

Smash Ace
Ganon's been like this for two games now, and honestly, I don't want to change him anymore ;)

Maybe, his sword taunt could actually allow for a second moveset, where he has his sword. Just taunt again to put it back. That way, those of us who LOVE Ganon the way he is now, Murder Choke and all, will be just as satisfied as those who don't ;)

C.Olimar788

Smash Ace
That'd a darned good question. XD Toon Link is definitely the second biggest problem in terms of cloned-ness after Ganondorf. Especially since the only way he has any right to stay in Smash Bros. is with a unique moveset.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Yeah, a six player match would be a nice addition, especially with options for large groups that have already been added like Tournament and Rotation. And since we all know the next Smash won't come out on the Wii and that the Wii has the power to have 6-player fights, we should be all set. ^_^
i dunno, i was always rooting for eight, ever since the wii was announced. literally.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=83156

come on, why not?

i also believe brawl needs more stadium modes. why'd they do away with board the platforms, and the others? so much wasted potential.

also, more modes of basic brawling. in melee, they added coin mode. it failed horrendously. but they should keep trying to make more. they should standardize stamina mode and add stock to it, plus a wider range of stamina.

i even came up with a game mode myself. tag-team. not so complicated. characters can switch out at the push of a button, like changing pokemon. it would change to you're partners character/controller. or in stamina mode, when your stamina ran out, he'd appear. or when you died, he appeared instead (for stock mode)
that way you could do a 1v1 and team battle at the same time. kinda.

more options on the custom stage builder is a must. a ton more background and piece themes, at least 1-2 per franchise. more available hazards, moving areas, more options, more flexibility in general.

and a lot more stages and characters. A LOT. In fact, they should completely leave out adventure mode, just use the stadium mode to unlock things. especially if they have around 10 different staduim modes (targets, race to finish64, race to finish melee, board platfroms, homerun, multiman, and at least a few new ones) one stage per character is more than enough.

longer replays. nuff said.

they need to keep gamecube controller compatibility.

we need like at least 50 characters, and 100 stages, including all the melee/64/brawl ones, minus the duplicates and remakes. at least enough of these so that no one feels left out. so many people were pissed that their character didn't make it into brawl (ridley:() just include a freakishly large amount of characters so everyone gets in? actually base the roster off of the poll this time, instead of taking the poll after making the roster:mad:

and a go**** solid non laggy online mode, even if it's only 4 players. i understand an 8-player online would most likely be laggy.

and a character creator. it's not unheard of these days. look at SCIV. It certainly isn't impossible. give a few standard models (puffball, human, dragon, four legged, maybe one more) and give a few basic options for each special move. give a texture editor. look how far syntax error got with the hacked brawl one ! http://www.ghosteo.net/tex_hack/

AND NO GODDAM CLONE CHARACTERS

dammit, nintendo should read that, and apply it. i don't want smash 4 catering towards the casual audience. i don't care if smash 4 takes years to come out, as long as it's as close to perfect as possible.

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
I dont have any problems with falco, wolf, lucas, luigi in terms of clones, ganondorf needs his magic from OoT, And pull his sword for only certain moves i.e. fsmash. Tlink is the worst clone, and should be removed if he doesn't get a new moveset.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
also, more modes of basic brawling. in melee, they added coin mode. it failed horrendously. but they should keep trying to make more. they should standardize stamina mode and add stock to it, plus a wider range of stamina.
1. I loved Coin Mode. But nobody ever wanted to play it with me...

2. The stamina update would be a really good change.

In fact, they should completely leave out adventure mode, just use the stadium mode to unlock things.
No. Just...no. There's so much potential in the Adventure Mode, that they almost have to keep it.

The only way I'd say otherwise would be if they were to make an entirely separate game with all the Ninty characters, that was just a 1P (or Co-Op, whatever) Adventure Mode, without multiplayer. Then they should do this.

they need to keep gamecube controller compatibility.
Sadly, this won't be happening. Ninty's not going to build in GCN capability, the same way that the DS can play GBA games, but not GBC games.

we need like at least 50 characters, and 100 stages
That's too many characters to hope for, and WAY too many stages to expect. :psycho:

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Actually, 50 characters is a reasonable number to hope for.

In Melee, 13 were added from the original twelve.

In Brawl, we got 10 more excluding the spots filled up where the clones were taken out.

I think that a fifteen character addition isn't to much to hope for.

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
That'd a darned good question. XD Toon Link is definitely the second biggest problem in terms of cloned-ness after Ganondorf. Especially since the only way he has any right to stay in Smash Bros. is with a unique moveset.
lol, wut? No. At this rate, an older Link/younger Link is going to be a staple of Smash, much like Mario and Luigi.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
THERE ARE NO CLONES

How does no one get this?

Also, Ganondorf is fine. He just needs new specials.
EDIT:How does PK Counter work?
Well, I had this idea where Lucas would set up a shield around him. When the shield was hit, the sheild would break into shards and home into the opponent.

Although, I completely forgot the original effect in MOTHER 3. The original effect is that it reflects 50% of the original damage back. It can cover either one person or everyone depending on if you use Alpha or Omega.

Now that I think about it, I think this could work as a miniature Franklin Badge. It builds up like the Wario Waft and the attack can charge up to 3 reflections.

EDIT: My mistake, there are two types of counters. PSI and regular counter. Both act the same except one responds to PSI and another to physical damage. That's what happens when you haven't played the game yet.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
1. I loved Coin Mode. But nobody ever wanted to play it with me...

2. The stamina update would be a really good change.

No. Just...no. There's so much potential in the Adventure Mode, that they almost have to keep it.

The only way I'd say otherwise would be if they were to make an entirely separate game with all the Ninty characters, that was just a 1P (or Co-Op, whatever) Adventure Mode, without multiplayer. Then they should do this.

That's too many characters to hope for, and WAY too many stages to expect. :psycho:
first off, i'm sorry for offending you with coin mode, you are that one in 1000 that likes it. i know that there's a lot of potential in adventure mode, but they end up pouring too much time into it, and it takes away from the most important part of the game, the multyplayer aspect. like brawl. except in brawl, the adventure mode was boring, repetitive, and it would be a stretch to say it had a story. would you wait another year for a good adventure mode? prioritize, prioritize. i would rather wait the year for an extra 20 characters, 40 stages, however many items, and lots of more time spent balancing.

and the 50 char 100 stage would be bare minimum. i'm hoping for double :psycho:

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Actually, 50 characters is a reasonable number to hope for.

In Melee, 13 were added from the original twelve.

In Brawl, we got 10 more excluding the spots filled up where the clones were taken out.

I think that a fifteen character addition isn't to much to hope for.
Technically we have 39 right now, so actually you're right, 50 wouldn't be too much. But we probably won't be seeing a character select screen with 50 squares on it.

Another transformation character or two would see to that.

EDIT - Oh I wasn't offended. I know full well how much Coin Mode is generally despised.

Maybe that's part of it's charm. :bee:

Kiyosuki

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I wouldn't remove the Adventure/SSE mode either. I know it wasn't perfect as a game but it gave the whole thing a cool epic feel I think, and even if it was a bit boring it allowed you to unlock almost every character pretty easilly too, and you had alternative methods of doing so either. They could improve it in a fourth game I think. Or at least allow people who arn't into it the ability to unlock things with slightly less harsh methods.

I don't think it should be thinking of subtracting modes, just build on the ones that are there or add. The event mode could have been a bit harder...

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
and the 50 char 100 stage would be bare minimum. i'm hoping for double :psycho:
dude, that would be cool and all, but let's look at it realistically, it's not going to happen!, as much as everyone would like this, it would take forever, years and years for programming animations and such, not to mention if you expect them to all have unique movesets.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
dude, that would be cool and all, but let's look at it realistically, it's not going to happen!, as much as everyone would like this, it would take forever, years and years for programming animations and such, not to mention if you expect them to all have unique movesets.
We already have 39 characters. What's to say another 15-20 is fa-fetched. I could understand your logic if it was the first Smash game and starting out with that many.

PD4FR

Smash Ace
Then they should start right now!:bee:

OmegaXXII

We already have 39 characters. What's to say another 15-20 is fa-fetched. I could understand your logic if it was the first Smash game and starting out with that many.
well, I guess it wouldn't hurt to have at least 60 characters, but the point I was trying to state was if there are that many characters (without clones), then the person crating would have a hard time implementing unique moves for each character, therfore probably making clones to make up for the lack of characters *looks at Melee*

KoJ

Smash Journeyman
They should let you play through the SSE once... And then, once you've completed it, they should add a mini-movie for each level showing the characters fighting through the SubSpace army.

PD4FR

Smash Ace
He/She only said he/she wanted 50 characters. The 100 is referring to how many stages he/she wants. Still, that's pretty unrealistic right there.
No, that's pretty realistic. You've got to remember, we're dealing with Sakurai here.;)

OmegaXXII

He/She only said he/she wanted 50 characters. The 100 is referring to how many stages he/she wants. Still, that's pretty unrealistic right there.
lol.. you quoted before I edited my previous post ;)

but yeah, 100 stages sadly, is way to unrealistic, I would expect at least 45 getting in though.

No, that's pretty realistic. You've got to remember, we're dealing with Sakurai here.;)
wrong!, what if Sakurai doesn't do the next smash? you have to remember this.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
well, I guess it wouldn't hurt to have at least 60 characters, but the point I was trying to state was if there are that many characters (without clones), then the person crating would have a hard time implementing unique moves for each character
Tell that to the good folks over on the Make Your Move thread. ;)

ZodXx

Smash Cadet
1. I hope that characters will not only have different colors but different costumes as well. I understand that this will take alot of time but im still hoping.

2. The creators improve the Wifi because lets face it, its horrible.

3. I think they made brawl too slow. The game should have the speed of melee.

4. I think everyone agrees when i say that TRIPPING SUCKS. What is the purpose of putting it in there?

5. L-cancel should be back. So heavy characters like Bowser, Dedede and Ganon wont be, well.. slow.

6. More characters! :)

Thats basically all i want so far. I have more but i cant remember all of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom