• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I try to have an answer for everything.
Okay. How many smash games will there be? I'm only asking to hear someone actually answer. I don't know doesn't count.

EDIT: Palutena, POSSIBLY...I mean, I guess if they want to add Peach and Zelda, I could PICTURE Palutena being in...

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Okay. How many smash games will there be? I'm only asking to hear someone actually answer. I don't know doesn't count.
R U Srsly? (Lol.."srsly"...)

I'll say one per system generation, not counting spin-offs and portable titles or remakes.

This is Nintendo we're talking about...they won't limit SSB to a once every 5-8 year title if they can make money whoring it. Like Pokémon, expect spin-off games at some point.

Super Smash Brothers Card Battler DS
Super Smash Brothers RPG
Super Smash Brothers: Adventure Mode, Except Now Its It Own 30 Hour Long Title
Super Smash Brothers Tactics

I called it here.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero

EDIT: Palutena, POSSIBLY...I mean, I guess if they want to add Peach and Zelda, I could PICTURE Palutena being in...
Palutena may be attractive, however, until the Kid Icarus series gets resurrected in a big way (we are talking a revival on par with Metroid's during the GCN/GBA era) then she has no place in Smash, and Pit more than adequately represents the Kid Icarus series.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Palutena may be attractive, however, until the Kid Icarus series gets resurrected in a big way (we are talking a revival on par with Metroid's during the GCN/GBA era) then she has no place in Smash, and Pit more than adequately represents the Kid Icarus series.
Coming from an obsessed Kid Icarus fan...Eggplant Wizard for SSB4...

At least as an Assist Trophy

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
I think the Assist Trophies were chosen and created as a means to homage and advertise the characters and their respective series. Soon after Brawl was released, Sin & Punishment 2 was announced, and what did Nintendo do to promote that? Release it on VC and put a rep in as an AT. What about Little Mac? A lot of people did not know who he was before Brawl, but what was announced at the same time as Sin & Punishment 2? A new Punch-Out! Who knows what they have in store for some of the other AT's (I'm thinking Isaac, Devil, Jill, and Stafy).

Now, within their respective series, K. Rool is obviously more important than Waluigi has, and probably ever will be. I'd rather K. Rool get in over Waluigi any day, but the outcome may be unfavorable.
The assist trophies were more likely then not never seriously considered as playable characters. Notice how Andross is an assist trophy over Krystal? The popular picks for Brawl who had a shot at making it in were absent from being assist trophies since they were actually considered.

Donkey Kong has no assist trophy for a reason. Dixie was originally intended to be a Ice Climbers like clone of Diddy and share his slot, while K. Rool was more likely then not considered somewhat to be playable.

There were no other popular characters from the series save maybe Funky Kong, who nobody would argue for a playable spot.

And on Waluigi. . .Must I really break it down? Waluigi is completely outclassed within his series by Bowser Jr. and Paper Mario, while K. Rool has no competition.

Spire

III
BRoomer
i don't think you should get rid of kid icarus quite yet i have a feeling palutena might be playable in the next game
I cannot see Platuna playable ever. It's just ridiculous. That's like asking for Nana and Popo's pterodactyl thing to be playable, or a Mrs. Game & Watch.
R U Srsly? (Lol.."srsly"...)

I'll say one per system generation, not counting spin-offs and portable titles or remakes.

This is Nintendo we're talking about...they won't limit SSB to a once every 5-8 year title if they can make money whoring it. Like Pokémon, expect spin-off games at some point.

Super Smash Brothers Card Battler DS
Super Smash Brothers RPG
Super Smash Brothers: Adventure Mode, Except Now Its It Own 30 Hour Long Title
Super Smash Brothers Tactics

I called it here.
I'd love some Smash Bros spinoff games. I actually tried to start a Smash Bros RPG once. Didn't work out, but the idea is prime.

I'd love a "Super Smash Bros: Zelda Edition" and "Super Smash Bros: Mario Edition", with the latter featuring both Mario and DK characters. They could even do a Star Fox/Metroid/F-Zero edition of the game, with say, 10 characters each. Each of these titles would feature about 30 playable characters.

Hell, they'd have my money.

Kraryo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SrirachaJoe
3DS FC
4124-5128-1575
I'd love a "Super Smash Bros: Zelda Edition" and "Super Smash Bros: Mario Edition", with the latter featuring both Mario and DK characters. They could even do a Star Fox/Metroid/F-Zero edition of the game, with say, 10 characters each. Each of these titles would feature about 30 playable characters.
While it would allow characters that would never reasonably make it into a real SSB4 (like the Skull Kid, Rosalina, and Leon) to be in a Smash game, each franchise would be segregatted then. Mario wouldn't be able to have an epic match with Sonic again and he would not be able to beat the living snot out of Pikachu either.

The only series that could have something like a Smash spinoff would be Sonic. Sega could make a rip-off of Smash (just like they ripped off of Mario Kart, Mario Party, the Mario RPG series, and Mario Tennis) with Sonic characters and cameos from other Sega games and have the mechanics be better than Brawl. I would so buy it if it was on a Nintendo system.

majora_787

Smash Hero
While it would allow characters that would never reasonably make it into a real SSB4 (like the Skull Kid, Rosalina, and Leon) to be in a Smash game, each franchise would be segregatted then. Mario wouldn't be able to have an epic match with Sonic again and he would not be able to beat the living snot out of Pikachu either.

The only series that could have something like a Smash spinoff would be Sonic. Sega could make a rip-off of Smash (just like they ripped off of Mario Kart, Mario Party, the Mario RPG series, and Mario Tennis) with Sonic characters and cameos from other Sega games and have the mechanics be better than Brawl. I would so buy it if it was on a Nintendo system.
Hopefully Microsoft doesn't try to do that, or we'd have SSB Manslaughter on our hands. XD

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Sega reps said that they would expand on the Sega Superstar franchise...I'm WAITING!!!

Where is my Sega Superstar Racing and Sega Superstar Fighters I was "promised"? I bought Sega Superstar Tennis, not because it was good, because it WASN'T, but purely based on the fanservice it provided.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
The best way for Nintendo to go is to have DLC that costs money. That way they can keep adding characters to the game to make everyone happy, and more likely then not everyone would go out of their way and purchase them all, save the ones they hate.

As far as online goes, you wouldn't be able to use a character if the person you were playing with didn't have them. That or it's a mandatory update to get the character when you connect to Brawl, but you have to buy the ability to play as them.

Spire

III
BRoomer
The best way for Nintendo to go is to have DLC that costs money. That way they can keep adding characters to the game to make everyone happy, and more likely then not everyone would go out of their way and purchase them all, save the ones they hate.

As far as online goes, you wouldn't be able to use a character if the person you were playing with didn't have them. That or it's a mandatory update to get the character when you connect to Brawl, but you have to buy the ability to play as them.
That's the gimmick to "force" people to buy characters. Great online + not able to face others = cash.

majora_787

Smash Hero

I think SSB4 should be the last SSB game, but here's the catch...

They would release downloadable content patches that have characters, stages, items, trophies, stickers, modes...and maybe every few years they release a graphics or audio patch.

Oops, forgot about the game music download.

They would still make money, and people wouldn't have to go out and buy a new smash game. They would only have ro worry about the new downloads when they come out. ^^

trev94

Smash Journeyman
I think SSB4 should be the last SSB game, but here's the catch...

They would release downloadable content patches that have characters, stages, items, trophies, stickers, modes...and maybe every few years they release a graphics or audio patch.

Oops, forgot about the game music download.

They would still make money, and people wouldn't have to go out and buy a new smash game. They would only have ro worry about the new downloads when they come out. ^^
I dont think i would like that cause not everyone can download

Kraryo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SrirachaJoe
3DS FC
4124-5128-1575
I agree with DLC. The main reason most people want a SSB4 aside from Melee 2.0 is because the character(s) they wanted didn't make it into Brawl. The only problem would be Earthbound syndrome, since people will get more impatient the longer a fan favorite character isn't included and will say that the rest of the DLC characters suck balls.

The amount of time to make characters makes it worse unless if they take the easy route and make them total clones which would also make people upset. Maybe make patches later that declone the clone DLC characters. Still, it would be better than having the roster set in stone.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I agree with DLC. The main reason most people want a SSB4 aside from Melee 2.0 is because the character(s) they wanted didn't make it into Brawl. The only problem would be Earthbound syndrome, since people will get more impatient the longer a fan favorite character isn't included and will say that the rest of the DLC characters suck balls.

The amount of time to make characters makes it worse unless if they take the easy route and make them total clones which would also make people upset. Maybe make patches later that declone the clone DLC characters. Still, it would be better than having the roster set in stone.
Well, I suppose they could release 1-3 patches per month...one never knows about what they would do with DLC.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I dont think i would like that cause not everyone can download
Well, then you don't get the extras, but you do get a full game. Look, pretty much every game on 360 and PS3 has DLC, but not all of those that play the game have access to it. That's why the developers [usually] make sure to pack the actual full-price game with a full-length experience. DLC should just be bonus, adding on to a well-rounded game rather than a game that was obviously made with holes (Soul Calibur 4's empty Darth Vader & Yoda slots are good examples).

SmashBrosMike

Smash Ace
I agree with the idea of DLC.

That way we can have as many characters we want. If it does happen. My hope list for DLC will be.

Playable Characters:

King K. Rool (If he doesn't make it in SSB4. Then he should be DLC.)
Ridley
Black Shadow
Paper Mario

Stages:

Not sure.

and much more.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Fighting games should never have game-altering DLC, because they will always be played competitively, and this will only make people angry.

Don't even try to argue for anything other than free, non-game altering (no new characters, stages, or altering game mechanics) DLC in a fighting game. Ever.

notftomearth7

Smash Lord
On the blue planet next to the sun, can't miss it!
The one thing I liked about Melee's roster was the unexpectedness of it. While I disagree with the majority of your choices, Spire, here is a list of characters that I would like to see as "pleasant surprises" in Smash 4 (though nearly all of them have no chance of becoming playable characters)

Mario:
Toad

Donkey Kong:
Dixie Kong

The Legend of Zelda:
Mask Link

F-Zero:
Pico

Fire Emblem:
Eliwood

Retro:
Mike Jones

Third-Party:
Crono

Boy, you sure like useless characters don't you. And that Mike Jones better not be the Mike Jones I'm thinking of Mike Jones. As far as a Mask Link **** YES! What I'd like to see done, is more of an SSB style Link, same boomerang effects, with a unique Side B (I'm sure the LoZ fan base could think of a side-B for an SSB Link) Pico and Eliwood are characters that I want in and see working, but I don't know if there popularity level is there (More Pico than Eliwood but still...) Crono I %100 agree with.

gantrain05

Smash Master
Fighting games should never have game-altering DLC, because they will always be played competitively, and this will only make people angry.

Don't even try to argue for anything other than free, non-game altering (no new characters, stages, or altering game mechanics) DLC in a fighting game. Ever.
stages wouldn't be a problem, but changing entire characters would really make some people angry. i can see MAYBE putting new characters in with DLC, so long as they don't take out any old characters or change their movesets or mechanics.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I'd like to see a character original to Super Smash Brothers. They've already tossed in tons but not made them playable. I'd love to be able to play a Red Alloy with a unique moveset and without hacks.
This is a good idea. While it has been addressed before, I don't feel it to be an issue that many have actually considered. Look at it this way. Smash Bros is just about the only fighting game series that has no original, playable characters. They wouldn't necessarily have to be staples that carry on throughout the series, but merely exclusives to each title. An example would have been Tabuu for Brawl. Many fighting games feature the final boss as an unlockable character (Soul Calibur, Guilty Gear, Gundam Battle Assault [why does that come to mind?]).

And then again, some games feature exclusive "common enemy" playable characters, such as Lizardman, Berserker, and Assassin from Soul Calibur 2.

I think the same could easily be done for Smash Bros, and if not title-exclusive characters, then perhaps a unique character created JUST for the series.

RednaXale

Smash Apprentice
Kirby should be able to absorb the power of items and projectiles. Like a fire flower makes him fire kirby, or a bomb makes him the bomber kirby.

Speaking of bombs. BOMBERMAN! I thought he was going to be in Brawl for the longest time...

gantrain05

Smash Master
Kirby should be able to absorb the power of items and projectiles. Like a fire flower makes him fire kirby, or a bomb makes him the bomber kirby.

Speaking of bombs. BOMBERMAN! I thought he was going to be in Brawl for the longest time...
everyone thought bomberman would be in brawl, along with megaman, but it didn't happen unfortunately, but yeah that kirby thing sounds pretty good.

justaway12

Smash Master

I'd love it if he played against a peach and turned into turnip kirby if she threw a turnip

AndrewAshmaric

Smash Rookie
It's already bad enough that Nintendo lost the ability to use characters made by Rare. Something like that can surely make things worse.
Yeah, I agree with you on that one. But we still have Konami and some game series that haven't been involved at all...

As for new chars, what I came up with is the following (assuming all veteran chars will be back)

Mario Franchise

Daisy
Boshi
(as a costume for Yoshi instead of an all-new moveset, because otherwise he would just be a clone, and we're trying to avoid that here)

Personally, I think this franchise has enough chars for now, but Geno and Toad might be possible as well.

StarFox series

Krystal (Definitely)
Leon (to even out Star Fox and Star Wolf)

DK Crew

Dixie Kong

Fire Emblem

Lyn
Eliwood
Hector
Roy

SEGA

Amy (I see she isn't liked though :p )
Knuckles
Tails

PKMN

Eevee Bros. (Type of Eon depending on costume chosen)

I'll add more later, but this is all for now.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
That would be cool, but wouldn't that make him broken? Well, as long as you didn't say Tornado Kirby or Plasma Kirby than I'm down with that.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Ya know who we haven't talked about in a hot minute? Lip.

Lip has always been suggested for SSB4, but beyond that, that's it. Let's talk about Lip.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
Lip's from a puzzle game called Panel de Pon.

She's a flower fairy, and her she has a flower stick, which is an item in Smash Bros.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
Yeah, it's Lip's Stick.

I mean, ermm.. we aren't talking about Lip Viper.

That ok Sleepy One? :p

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Were bringing up Lip, oh joy I thought you guy's never ask. =D

She would make a great magic character that's a female and chibi. She's one of the Nintnedo Puzzle Icon's that is not Dr. Mario or Yoshi's cookies, the reason why she wasn't in the US was there was a lack of female gamers, so they replaced her game's with other Nintendo rep chracters like Yoshi or Pokemon, (to tell you the truth, those are a water down version compare to the oringnal). I think she's closer of making a game in the US because more and more fans are knocking at NoA's door's and wanting her puzzle games to say Panel De Pon and not Puzzle League, (which NoA has done to her games), she's also in Captain Rainbow as well as a good amount of Japanese chracters, if released in the US, they are sure to allow her games in the US.

So why should she be in Brawl, simply because she was one of the few good character's that got jipped.... twice, (she was wanted in Melee as well). Also if they were to release her puzzle game on VC on the Wii, I'm sure people would see if it's more appeling than Tetris Attack, I can't say Pokemon Puzzle League because the second Panel De Pon was in Nintendo Puzzle Collection for the GameCube, so I can't say they should put that in VC, thoguh it is a better game IMO. Now Plant Puzzle League was the same as Panel De Pon DS, but without Lip's theme if you don't have an action replay, so they don't get a free bee. Having her games in more than one contury can help her chances by more than 50% to be in the next Smash Bros, because she's a Nintendo icon that's in the Puzzle game's area, and she was one of the most wanted Japan character as well.

If they do put her game's in the US, they better be well done and avertized better than Puyo Pop Fever, the male character's need a good amount of work, and this game was very underreated to the point that they no longer sold it in the US. Well, I just have to see if they actrully make Panel De Pon for the VC in other countries to judge.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
The problem with Lip is that she is an underage girl with an extremely short skirt that only was the main protagonist of two Japan-only games (I am counting Furil as Lip). Sakurai knew Lip was wanted, and even mentioned Panel de Pon in conjunction with Fire Emblem when he was contemplating whether to add Japan-only characters to Smash Bros. in the Melee e-mail bag. He probably saw problems with Lip's design due to the adjustable camera (free loli pr0n in a Nintendo game), which is why he added in her main weapon (the flower baton) as an item. Also, it doesn't help that NOA went out of there way to remove Lip's Theme from Planet Puzzle League (and can only be accessed via Action Replay). Lip also has to compete with other popular Japan-only retro characters like Sukapon and Takamaru.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484

The problem with Lip is that she is an underage girl with an extremely short skirt that only was the main protagonist of two Japan-only games (I am counting Furil as Lip). Sakurai knew Lip was wanted, and even mentioned Panel de Pon in conjunction with Fire Emblem when he was contemplating whether to add Japan-only characters to Smash Bros. in the Melee e-mail bag. He probably saw problems with Lip's design due to the adjustable camera (free loli pr0n in a Nintendo game), which is why he added in her main weapon (the flower baton) as an item. Also, it doesn't help that NOA went out of there way to remove Lip's Theme from Planet Puzzle League (and can only be accessed via Action Replay). Lip also has to compete with other popular Japan-only retro characters like Sukapon and Takamaru.
Simple solution...give Lip stockings. No exposed legs.

No, better, Leggings that go up to her waste under her skirt.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Simple solution...give Lip stockings. No exposed legs.

No, better, Leggings that go up to her waste under her skirt.
Yeah, that is probably the best route. However, Nintendo might still feel uncomfortable having a little girl beaten, but then again Lucas and Ness are also children, so that would be sexist I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom