• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mythic02

Smash Journeyman
How can you not think Mewtwo isn't popular anymore.

He probably isn't with the 6 year old kiddies who don't no any first gens other than Pikachu. Mewtwo is a beast. I remember how he could kill anyone in the original Pokemon game. People would show off saying "OMG I've got freakin' Mewtwo!!!"

And seriously he was created to fight. He is the only manmade pokemon. He was practically made for smash. How he ended up sucking in smash so badly I will never know. No pokemon could possibly beat mewtwo. [RANT/]

Scott!

Smash Lord
Hm, I like the idea of unlockable aesthetic costume changes. Perhaps you could use them to create alternate costumes that you would save to your name? Then, once you choose your name and character, the costume would be loaded as one of that character's costume options for you to select. Like, say I wanted to create a special Marth for myself. I'd go to the new costume design mode, and select Marth. I'd be able to pick which sword he'd use (because obviously, he'd have different ones unlockable), make whatever other changes I wanted, and save it to my name. Then, just go to the character selection screen, choose Marth and my name, and cycle through till I find my costume.

The most important thing about these things would be that they are entirely aesthetic, with no effect on gameplay whatsoever. Otherwise, problems would happen, I'm sure of it.

Of course, the alternative to that is if there were two modes: effects on and off. In one, the costume changes would be off and completely aesthetic. This would of course be the standard, tourney-viable mode. The other could allow for minor changes to gameplay. But even as I suggest this, I'm leaning away from it. It just seems too complicated. It's an option though.

sundayseclipse

Smash Journeyman
um i dont think theyll let any body biger tehn ridley in. some one like deoxys or darkrai has a chance.

who can beat mewtwo. hmmm mew. arceus. and pokemon u beat him with in game........ and i mean in percentage. mewtwos not abig deal anymore sadly
its all about omg arceus ZOMG

SUB_ZERO

Smash Apprentice
+1 For Blooper

To be honest, i think there are enough pokemon, but if there had to be more? Hitmonlee/Hitmonchan swappable char's. First gen? Who cares. They were the best for sure. (Unless it's lotad ^_^)

Yosheon

Smash Cadet
Pokemon Trainer was a brilliant idea for SSBB since it's three playable pokemon characters that take up only one character slot. Honestly, there should be a female pokemon trainer in SSB4 with pokemon from a different generation, preferably from the 3rd generation.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Pokemon Trainer was a brilliant idea for SSBB since it's three playable pokemon characters that take up only one character slot. Honestly, there should be a female pokemon trainer in SSB4 with pokemon from a different generation, preferably from the 3rd generation.
There should just be the option to swap between male and female like Wario can switch between overalls and a helmet. Right now people are complaining because there's no female version, down the road people could easily start whining about how the pokemon trainer has become too female friendly. But I like the idea of 3rd gen starters, I won't lie...those were my favorites.

UncleSam

Smash Master
There should just be the option to swap between male and female like Wario can switch between overalls and a helmet. Right now people are complaining because there's no female version, down the road people could easily start whining about how the pokemon trainer has become too female friendly. But I like the idea of 3rd gen starters, I won't lie...those were my favorites.
and have the evolutions in a similar format except;
Treeko, Marshtomp, Blaziken
there all on two feet
I'd actually like that instead of the current PT
except squirtle shellshifting is amazing

SmashShard

Smash Rookie
you should be able to make your own characters. by using other characters move sets, and customizing it.

Wolfric

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GoodLuckTrying
Bring back Mewtwo!! most of his movesets are puerly original, so he's not a clone, and his fighting style was amazing even thought he lacked power
I'd also want Roy back, I dunno, I just loved his B charged camping in corners and hitting for 50% when fully charged(60% of the times it was a K.O.)

First time I saw Lynn, I really thought she was playable, she deserves to be playable!

Knuckles would be a great add and only leave Sonic and knuckles from Sonic Series(I say this because Shadow is a Sonic clone, and Tails is.... Tails, nota great fighter we could say, Amy?eww, that'd be like adding a new Yoshi :D)
Also..come on! Why wasn't there a Megaman in this Brawl?! I really thought we would have gotten him!

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
That would take up as much space as the SSE. :laugh:
Most likely as much space as making costume stages. SSE is a good length storyline with a lot of different enemies and cut scenes along with it. The reason why it's a lot of space.

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
SSE is a good length storyline with a lot of different enemies and cut scenes along with it. The reason why it's a lot of space.
Which is why it sucked- it took up so much memory and time that they had to skimp on other things, like, say, fixing Brawl's horrible roster. That would be one problem with character customization. Another problem is that a character customization feature wouldn't work too well for a fighting game like Smash, because the point of it is playing as Nintendo characters. It works for fighting games like Soul Calibur, but not Smash.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Which is why it sucked- it took up so much memory and time that they had to skimp on other things, like, say, fixing Brawl's horrible roster.
I won't say Brawl's router is horrible, just that people expected more characters since Super Smash Bros. to Super Smash Bros. Melee router increased more than twice as much, while Super Smash Bros. Brawl only increased a little more than half of Melee's router but cut out some characters for different reasons, (I'm pretty sure many people know why some characters were cut off). Also Brawl's router have less filter characters than Melee's router, so you can't count on saying that Brawl's router isn't very good, though there are more WTF characters in Brawl than any other Smash Bros, (Pokémon Trainer, Zero Suit Samus, R.O.B. etc).

That would be one problem with character customization. Another problem is that a character customization feature wouldn't work too well for a fighting game like Smash, because the point of it is playing as Nintendo characters. It works for fighting games like Soul Calibur, but not Smash.
True, many people like playing Smash for the Nintendo characters, the highest I expect them to go is costume outfits for each character, but no higher than that.

sundayseclipse

Smash Journeyman
i acully thought the WTF characters were awsome. though the storyline did take lots of space but it was awsome. by the nexttime there is a ssb we hope the rom they use has ALOT OF MEMORY. stuff we could do with out is stikers and a couple of assist trophys. looks down upon animal crosser dude and tingle..... and a couplle of pokemon too

BTW HAPPY MOTHERS DAY. GIVE MY REGAURDS TO THE MISSES =)
DO WAT YO MOMA SAYS

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
I won't say Brawl's router is horrible, just that people expected more characters since Super Smash Bros. to Super Smash Bros. Melee router increased more than twice as much, while Super Smash Bros. Brawl only increased a little more than half of Melee's router but cut out some characters for different reasons, (I'm pretty sure many people know why some characters were cut off). Also Brawl's router have less filter characters than Melee's router, so you can't count on saying that Brawl's router isn't very good, though there are more WTF characters in Brawl than any other Smash Bros, (Pokémon Trainer, Zero Suit Samus, R.O.B. etc).
I really thought that Brawl had a terrible roster that was missing many characters. It needed many characters like Bowser Jr., Paper Mario, King K. Rool, Mewtwo and most of all Ridley, not to mention the vast amount of series who were completely ignored in the roster like Animal Crossing. Not only that, Wolf and Zero Suit Samus didn't deserve it at all, and all of the characters I mentioned earlier certainly should have had priority over Falco, the Ice Climbers, ROB and Pit.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I'm sorry, but I cannot take this anymore. sundayseclipse, please use proper grammar and spelling.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that Pit at the very least deserved his spot. After all, he had been wanted ever since the first game. As for the ice Climbers, I'm kinda glad this one happened. Not to mention that they will likely never get removed.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Are you going to have Ganondorf, Bowser, and Wario die too?

*Coughs* how about PT?

Pit? Mario? Meta-Knight? Pikachu? Peach? Link?

Seriously. There would be an uproar. I'm not worried about it. Sakurai never wanted to drop Mewtwo, and he certainly won't bring back a character just to use him/her as fodder in the story mode. Waste of a character... unless it's Jigglypuff. :laugh:
I would have Ganondorf, Meta-Knight die also. As well as a few others (haven't decided on them yet). He wouldn't be fodder I think. He would go down in an epic battle like setting. The idea of a character dying would be to pull at a persons emotions.

You have a good point. Joins they're side... kinda. Rightfully doesn't trust them, and when Ganondorf tries to double cross him (Think Bowser in SubSpace), Mewtwo defects.

But killed off? Not gonna happen.
Could be interesting. I mean, I could change my little story to the point that Mewtwo joined them (and there is a whole dark side to the campaign where you play through the bad guys parts before the war). He decides to drop out and the other badguys go after him with the end result being the same.

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
I'm sorry, but I cannot take this anymore. sundayseclipse, please use proper grammar and spelling.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that Pit at the very least deserved his spot. After all, he had been wanted ever since the first game. As for the ice Climbers, I'm kinda glad this one happened. Not to mention that they will likely never get removed.
Thank you, KumaOso. sundayseclipse, I can no longer understand you. Type slower.

Anyway, I'm sorry, what I meant was that the Ice Climbers and Pit do deserve it, but not over the characters like King K. Rool and Ridley. I would have liked to see the more deserving characters and the Ice Climbers and Pit in Brawl, but the fact is that it doesn't make sense to have the Ice Climbers and Pit over more deserving characters. I do fully support the Ice Climbers and Pit returning to SSB4, just if there is space in the roster (which there is plenty of). And I agree, it's certain that they will return in SSB4.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Thank you, KumaOso. sundayseclipse, I can no longer understand you. Type slower.

Anyway, I'm sorry, what I meant was that the Ice Climbers and Pit do deserve it, but not over the characters like King K. Rool and Ridley. I would have liked to see the more deserving characters and the Ice Climbers and Pit in Brawl, but the fact is that it doesn't make sense to have the Ice Climbers and Pit over more deserving characters. I do fully support the Ice Climbers and Pit returning to SSB4, just if there is space in the roster (which there is plenty of). And I agree, it's certain that they will return in SSB4.
You know, looking at the roster...say it had 51 slots, that's 12 spaces open. If they add 1-2 more 3rd parties, Ridley, an F-Zero person, and they don't make cuts...actually no, let's throw in K. Rool, Little Mac and Isaac...

That leaves 7 spaces for them to do whatever with. Who knows what they'll do with THAT.

There is PLENTY of room for ALL of them, and they don't have the kind of space constraint that requires a cut.

rockem7

Smash Ace
Well, two of those seven slots that are left should be given to Megaman and Bomberman.
Which then leaves five, which I'm going to say...Lip, Bowser Jr., A new legendary pokemon, Paper Mario, and...Lets just go with Animal Crosser.

Although, I still think that the thought of Animal Crosser in Smash is a little redundant.

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
You know, looking at the roster...say it had 51 slots, that's 12 spaces open. If they add 1-2 more 3rd parties, Ridley, an F-Zero person, and they don't make cuts...actually no, let's throw in K. Rool, Little Mac and Isaac...

That leaves 7 spaces for them to do whatever with. Who knows what they'll do with THAT.

There is PLENTY of room for ALL of them, and they don't have the kind of space constraint that requires a cut.
51 is an awfully random size for the roster. I'd say 50. Minus Random we have 49 character slots. There were 35 characters in Brawl, which leaves us with 14 more slots. I think Snake and Sonic will be cut for new third parties. New third parties could be:

• Megaman
  • Simon Belmont

Lucario would be probably be cut. That leaves us with 15 more characters. First we go with the obvious ones:

• Bowser Jr.
  • Paper Mario
  • King K. Rool
  • Tingle
  • Ridley
  • Samurai Goroh/Black Shadow
  • Mewtwo
  • Fifth Generation Pokemon
  • New Fire Emblem Lord
  • Animal Crosser/Tom Nook

That's 10 characters, leaving us with 5 more for less obvious options:

• Lip
  • Diskun
  • Little Mac
  • Isaac
  • Ray

Yeah, that fills it up. And still, there were viable characters who didn't make it:

• Kamek
  • Captain Syrup
  • Dr. Mario
  • Sukapon
  • Andy

There will be space constraints in SSB4. Really, there's a pool of viable characters that is more then the probable amount of new characters, and recent, popular characters are bigger priorities then retro or shock characters. Maybe it would be best to have characters like Kamek and Captain Syrup over characters like the Ice Climbers and Pit.

sundayseclipse

Smash Journeyman
if they cut pit or ice climbers a lot of ppl well be disappointed. its the only game they appear in. plus pit has a strong fan base and is essental to the plot.

wizzerd i dont think snake or sonic would be cut. its a great prediction but rely debatable

SirKibble

Smash Champion
Pit is "essential to the plot"? Are you referring to the SSE? (I can only assume you are.) I highly doubt SSE importance would be a worthwhile argument for a character. We don't even know if the next game's Adventure Mode will be a continuation of the SSE, and even if it is, what forces it to depend on the same cast? Pit was even a pretty loose character, getting involved of his own free will and whatnot. Anyway, fan base is a worthwhile argument, but plot essentiality, no.

Oh, and Eclipse (I'm calling you that, if you don't mind, from now on), I have to echo everyone else. Capitalization, a little more punctuation than the occassional periods, and just better typing in general would really help make you easier to take seriously.

sundayseclipse

Smash Journeyman
Oh hush up. lets not get off the subject to critisize me.
....my grammar sucks...i know. =(
Either way if pit or ice climber were taken out they'll prby not be in the following. if that happens their franchise well be completly dead. more or likely

SirKibble

Smash Champion
All I'm saying is to make a little more of an effort. :)

There's no doubt their franchises would be dead. Heck, it's hardly worth saying the Ice Climbers have a franchise anymore. They're full-on "retro" characters without a very defined franchise. Still, I don't think the concern with keeping them in is the salvation of their "franchise." It's more the value of them as retro characters, plus the fanbase they've accumulated through their presence in Smash Bros.

sandbags06

Smash Cadet
51 is an awfully random size for the roster. I'd say 50. Minus Random we have 49 character slots. There were 35 characters in Brawl, which leaves us with 14 more slots. I think Snake and Sonic will be cut for new third parties. New third parties could be:

• Megaman
  • Simon Belmont

Lucario would be probably be cut. That leaves us with 15 more characters. First we go with the obvious ones:

• Bowser Jr.
  • Paper Mario
  • King K. Rool
  • Tingle
  • Ridley
  • Samurai Goroh/Black Shadow
  • Mewtwo
  • Fifth Generation Pokemon
  • New Fire Emblem Lord
  • Animal Crosser/Tom Nook

That's 10 characters, leaving us with 5 more for less obvious options:

• Lip
  • Diskun
  • Little Mac
  • Isaac
  • Ray

Yeah, that fills it up. And still, there were viable characters who didn't make it:

• Kamek
  • Captain Syrup
  • Dr. Mario
  • Sukapon
  • Andy

There will be space constraints in SSB4. Really, there's a pool of viable characters that is more then the probable amount of new characters, and recent, popular characters are bigger priorities then retro or shock characters. Maybe it would be best to have characters like Kamek and Captain Syrup over characters like the Ice Climbers and Pit.
im sorry, but nothing you say makes any sense. this is not how game developers think, and if it is, well then all future games are going to suck. this is like third grade reasoning, its all based on favoritism and not inovation.

i dont see how you can justify any of those cuts or replacements.... it just doesnt make sense to me. and your "obvious" characters are not obvious, you dont know anything about this games future, so dont act like you do (im just waiting for nintendo to reveal SSB4 at E3 showing tingle as a playable character so what i just said bites me in the a$$)

princessofsmash

Smash Cadet
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, Earth, Milky Way, Unive
Space Pirates ( different kinds )
Ridley
Meta Ridley
Dixie Kong
Tiny Kong
King K. Rool
Dark Samus
Toon Zelda
larger adventure mode
more activities ( i.e. stage builder etc. )
more Pokemon ( like a female Pokemon trainer or something )
more Sonic characters is an absolute yes
more character from different platforms ( i.e. like Snake or Master Chief or something )

sandbags06

Smash Cadet
i want downloadable content for the next smash. and updates, so if broken characters are discovered (MK) tweaks can be made to even them out along the way.

9Kplus1

Smash Master
A PT for each generation would please me in so many ways :/.

Anyway, I honestly think that the top priority of SSB4 should be to gain a distinct knowledge of what the SSB fans wanted from Brawl that they never got (i.e, Momentum, some chars and stages, etc.), filter out that large list of the hopes and dreams on the fans and leave only the viable options. That should definately be followed up by "fixing" certain chars that needed a drastic change in Brawl. Finally, it's just new features and new/reoccouring chars.

Oh and this:
i want downloadable content for the next smash. and updates, so if broken characters are discovered (MK) tweaks can be made to even them out along the way.

mskusu

Smash Cadet
Space Pirates ( different kinds )
As playable characters, or as SSE enemies, or what?

Ridley
Meta Ridley
Both Ridley and Meta Ridley together? I would assume Meta Ridley would be Ridley's Final Smash or something.

Dixie Kong
Tiny Kong
King K. Rool
Seems like a lot of Donkey Kong characters. There are plenty of more popular games with less representation in Smash (not that the games aren't good).

Dark Samus
How would Dark Samus differentiate from normal Samus? I'm all for more characters from Metroid, but can't we use someone more original? How about some of the six other hunters from Prime Hunters?

Toon Zelda
Only if she's not a complete clone of Zelda. Imo Tetra would be better (or a Toon Zelda/Tetra transformation).

larger adventure mode
It's pretty big as it is. I think most would prefer improvements to the vs. mode.

more activities ( i.e. stage builder etc. )
Like what?

more Pokemon ( like a female Pokemon trainer or something )
Don't we have enough Pokémon already?

more Sonic characters is an absolute yes
Not really. Sonic isn't exactly a Nintendo franchise.

more character from different platforms ( i.e. like Snake or Master Chief ((wat? Should there be support for XBox controllers, too?)) or something )
My text in yellow.

rockem7

Smash Ace
Yeah, Master Chief is just no. Simple as that.
And if Trixie makes it in, she'll more than likely just be paired with Diddy. And if that happens, then the chances of Tiny making it in are slim to none.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master

• Megaman
  • Simon Belmont

Do you have any proof why Lucario will be cut? I am getting tired of everyone saying this. There is no evidence to if he will get cut or not. Do not cite Mewtwo. Once does not make a trend.

Yay. we can have Ridley and King K Rool be DLC characters. Hell, why not just cut half the brawl cast, add in 10 new characters and make all the rest be DLC.

No thank you. keep it to balancing only.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Wizzerd, 51 isn't a random number...it's called a pattern you get from releasing three games.

Let's assume there'll be seven SSB games...It'll go something like THIS.

12, 26, 39, 51, 62, 72, 81. This is an ESTIMATE based off the given PATTERN. Not random pretty numbers I think look cool.

And another thing, great potential characters are not the same as characters nintendo believes have potential.

And to the post above THAT, the game will NOT have four fricking third parties added. My god that's a worse idea than choking the game to death with Sonic the Hedgehog.

Dragonscythe: Say goodbye to Lucario if G5 comes out before Smash 4. They released Platinum, so the new one should be out any time now. XD

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Wizzerd, 51 isn't a random number...it's called a pattern you get from releasing three games.

Let's assume there'll be seven SSB games...It'll go something like THIS.

12, 26, 39, 51, 62, 72, 81. This is an ESTIMATE based off the given PATTERN. Not random pretty numbers I think look cool.

And another thing, great potential characters are not the same as characters nintendo believes have potential.

And to the post above THAT, the game will NOT have four fricking third parties added. My god that's a worse idea than choking the game to death with Sonic the Hedgehog.

Dragonscythe: Say goodbye to Lucario if G5 comes out before Smash 4. They released Platinum, so the new one should be out any time now. XD
As I said, any proof on the fact that you think he will get cut?
No. It is just speculation because everyone saw Mewtwo get cut and then they decided it was a magical trend.

As for a pattern, I think it is fans seeing something that does not exist.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
I would have Ganondorf, Meta-Knight die also. As well as a few others (haven't decided on them yet). He wouldn't be fodder I think. He would go down in an epic battle like setting. The idea of a character dying would be to pull at a persons emotions.
Meh...

Could be interesting. I mean, I could change my little story to the point that Mewtwo joined them (and there is a whole dark side to the campaign where you play through the bad guys parts before the war). He decides to drop out and the other badguys go after him with the end result being the same.
An epic final battle in which every other bad guy is beaten by Mewtwo and Ganondorf wins by a hair. I still don't know about the death thing... why not make a dark copy(ies) of Mewtwo to make an entire army?? Why kill something that you can turn into a trophy and make pleanty of powerful, loyal copies of??

Then have Mewtwo and Link team up on Ganondorf.

There are other evil Pokemon you know...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom