• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
Dark Samus, Geno and MAsked Man are not Shoe ins.
They do not come close to the term.

Common consensus is that the shoe in characters are

Ridley
Isaac
Lil Mac
Mewtwo (to an extent)
What with the new Golden Sun DS having been revealed to not have Isaac as the star of the game, I imagine it could be someone else, but I guess Isaac's still viable.

Either way, it seems Golden Sun deserves representation.

Scott!

Smash Lord
Yeah, GS DS probably seals the deal, since they got a GS AT in Brawl.

Also, concerning shoe-ins, either K. Rool or Dixie will be added. Which one's more deserving always sets off an argument here, so I won't choose sides, but at least one will be in. Also, probably Megaman. According to someone involved with Megaman a while ago, all Nintendo would have to do is ask, and they'd agree.

Lovely

Smash Lord
I think that Shadow Mario has plenty of potential to be original (though like with Paper Mario, he has the potential to be a clone, though it wouldn't make much sense), and I see the "two characters" thing as a non-issue, but I agree that it should be Bowser Jr. without Shadow Mario. Shadow Mario was only definitive of him in Super Mario Sunshine, a not recent game which wasn't very popular which will be even less recent when SSB4 is released. I see Jr. getting in sans Shadow Mario.
♣ Even in Mario Sunshine the motive was to be like Mario so he could be arrested, lol. I think that alone automatically made him a clone. XD ♥

♣ Also, Mario Sunshine is very popular, just not as popular as the other Mario 3D platform games. ♥

ratmage99

Smash Cadet
Anime characters, Luffy, Sanji, and Zoro from One Piece, and also Haru Glory and Musica from Rave master would be good. Luffy's attacks would be based on stretching, Sanji's would be kicking, Zoro's would be sword attacks.
Haru's ten formed sword would be godly, and Musica's transforming silver would be amazing!

Anime characters, Luffy, Sanji, and Zoro from One Piece, and also Haru Glory and Musica from Rave master would be good. Luffy's attacks would be based on stretching, Sanji's would be kicking, Zoro's would be sword attacks.
Haru's ten formed sword would be godly, and Musica's transforming silver would be amazing!
The Game companies that own them are all 3rd party, and i doubt would want to deal with nintendo at all...

Edit: It'as also pronounced Zolo...

Knyaguy

Smash Lord
I don't really want anime characters in Smash. Smash is for Nintendo and Nintendo characters, not characters from comic or manga. The sanctity of Smash Brothers must be preserved.

Tacel

Smash Lord
I don't really want anime characters in Smash. Smash is for Nintendo and Nintendo characters, not characters from comic or manga. The sanctity of Smash Brothers must be preserved.
Yeah, that's like having Marvel characters in Smash.
Spider-man vs. Link?
:( I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
I wouldn't say there are any technical shoe-ins for SSB4 outside of Little Mac. Ridley has fan demand, and iis constantly in new games, but his size could be a problem. K. Rool isn't all that important or original, and would only exist to ad in one more character from the DK series, which isn't needed. Bowser Jr. is possible but isn't a shoe in by any stretch, and quite frankly I'd think we would see Paper Mario before Bowser Jr., since we would have another version of Mario before another version of Bowser. (Yes I know, Bowser Jr. isn't technically Bowser, but they are close enough). Lastly with Isaac, I'd say he'd be a shoe-in if he was actually the star of the new GS game, but all signs say he isn't, which really do hurt his chances.

Oh, and for other suggestions, Dark Samus is more unlikely now than she was at Brawl, since she's pretty much dead at this point, and shouldn't be returning. Geno is very VERY unlikely, since he's a third party character with a major role in only one game that came out over 10 years ago.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Not only would it be out of place, they're more like FOURTH party. I would expect Master Chief before seeing Light Yagami mug Snake.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
I want Samurai Goroh to get in with his sword, but leave Ganondorf with the moveset that he has now.

I would chuckle heartily at the irony of that for a good few minutes.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
I want Samurai Goroh to get in with his sword, but leave Ganondorf with the moveset that he has now.

I would chuckle heartily at the irony of that for a good few minutes.
Keep Ganondorfs old moveset, but change it slightly.
Change his Down B Warlock kick to Un-sheath sword. So his moveset would look like...

Ganondorf : Fist Mode
B: Warlock Punch
Forward B: That grab move he has. Ganoncide!
Up B: His Jump into the Air electric move
Down B: Un-sheath Sword - Pull out his sword and enter his sword stance.

Ganondorf: Sword Mode
B: Warlock Magic Ball - Press B to throw a magical ball. Cannot be charged. Holding B will stall the magic balls release. This move can be knocked back

Forward B: Warlock Kick - Ganondorf will perform the warlock kick. His sword will play a large part (if it is the really big one, he should ride it. If it is the small one, he should hold it in a cool way.)

Up B: I don't know yet.

Down B: sheath Sword - Put sword away.

His Fist A moves should be the same as Brawl.
His sword A moves should be new and interesting.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Keep Ganondorfs old moveset, but change it slightly.
Change his Down B Warlock kick to Un-sheath sword. So his moveset would look like...

Ganondorf : Fist Mode
B: Warlock Punch
Forward B: That grab move he has. Ganoncide!
Up B: His Jump into the Air electric move
Down B: Un-sheath Sword - Pull out his sword and enter his sword stance.

Ganondorf: Sword Mode
B: Warlock Magic Ball - Press B to throw a magical ball. Cannot be charged. Holding B will stall the magic balls release. This move can be knocked back

Forward B: Warlock Kick - Ganondorf will perform the warlock kick. His sword will play a large part (if it is the really big one, he should ride it. If it is the small one, he should hold it in a cool way.)

Up B: I don't know yet.

Down B: sheath Sword - Put sword away.

His Fist A moves should be the same as Brawl.
His sword A moves should be new and interesting.
Up B can be his version of the Dolphin Slash.

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
I wouldn't say there are any technical shoe-ins for SSB4 outside of Little Mac.
Little Mac? Why call Little Mac the only shoe-in when there are other characters with more support? Little Mac certainly deserves it, but saying that he's the only shoe-in is very incorrect when we have Ridley/K. Rool/etc.

Ridley has fan demand, and iis constantly in new games, but his size could be a problem.
Ridley's size is a non-issue. There are very many characters who have been resized for Smash, like Bowser and Olimar. Don't mention proportions to Samus, as Pikachu should have canonically been MUCH shorter than Mewtwo in Melee. Ridley also has massive popularity, the kind of popularity which can overrule issues. Also, doesn't this look like a perfect size for Ridley? (made by drag0nscythe)

K. Rool isn't all that important or original, and would only exist to ad in one more character from the DK series, which isn't needed.
K. Rool is plenty important. Without him Donkey and Diddy would just eat bananas and ogle Candy Kong all day. K. Rool stealing the banana hoard/kindnapping Donkey and/or Diddy set the games in motion. K. Rool also has a great attendance record in the DK games. He has more significant roles in the series than Donkey Kong himself. Oh, and he has some massive popularity and support. Also, how does originality matter in how deserving a character is? I personally think that K. Rool's whole multiple-personalities complex is plenty original, but being unoriginal doesn't mean anything at all. A DK rep is needed, seeing as it is Nintendo's fourth best-selling series after the big 3, and K. Rool has no real competition. Dixie is fine and all, but she hasn't really had a significant role since DKC 2 and 3 for the SNES- she's really a insignificant spinoff character now. Her popularity also pales in comparison to K. Rool, and she could easily become a Diddy clone.

Bowser Jr. is possible but isn't a shoe in by any stretch, and quite frankly I'd think we would see Paper Mario before Bowser Jr., since we would have another version of Mario before another version of Bowser. (Yes I know, Bowser Jr. isn't technically Bowser, but they are close enough).
I would rather see Paper Mario as well, but I consider Bowser Jr. to be a bit more likely (though they both deserve it). He continually appears in antagonist roles in games from the main series, and he probably will show up in more games between now and SSB4, although he isn't quite as likely as Ridley and K. Rool.

Lastly with Isaac, I'd say he'd be a shoe-in if he was actually the star of the new GS game, but all signs say he isn't, which really do hurt his chances.
True, but I'd say a Golden Sun character is a shoe-in.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Little Mac? Why call Little Mac the only shoe-in when there are other characters with more support? Little Mac certainly deserves it, but saying that he's the only shoe-in is very incorrect when we have Ridley/K. Rool/etc.
Little Mac is the only shoe in because he's the star of a old and well liked series, which just recently had a new game. Ridley and K.Rool are just villains in their series, and seeing as the Smash games never have had much focus on villains, but rather the main characters, Mac has much higher chances.

Ridley's size is a non-issue. There are very many characters who have been resized for Smash, like Bowser and Olimar. Don't mention proportions to Samus, as Pikachu should have canonically been MUCH shorter than Mewtwo in Melee. Ridley also has massive popularity, the kind of popularity which can overrule issues. Also, doesn't this look like a perfect size for Ridley? (made by drag0nscythe)
I know Ridley's size shouldn't be a issue, but its still something that is very much a problem, especially since he was actually shown in a smash game being much larger than the rest of the cast. Now this of course can be delt with, but as I said, its still a very real problem for him getting in.

K. Rool is plenty important. Without him Donkey and Diddy would just eat bananas and ogle Candy Kong all day. K. Rool stealing the banana hoard/kindnapping Donkey and/or Diddy set the games in motion. K. Rool also has a great attendance record in the DK games. He has more significant roles in the series than Donkey Kong himself. Oh, and he has some massive popularity and support. Also, how does originality matter in how deserving a character is? I personally think that K. Rool's whole multiple-personalities complex is plenty original, but being unoriginal doesn't mean anything at all. A DK rep is needed, seeing as it is Nintendo's fourth best-selling series after the big 3, and K. Rool has no real competition. Dixie is fine and all, but she hasn't really had a significant role since DKC 2 and 3 for the SNES- she's really a insignificant spinoff character now. Her popularity also pales in comparison to K. Rool, and she could easily become a Diddy clone.
Yes K.Rool is needed for the Donkey Kong plot, but that doesn't mean he's needed for Smash. He's just a rip off of Bowser in his Super Show incarnation, looking almost the complete same, and having the dress up fetish. Being a high seller doesn't seem to be much of a factor seeing that it took three games for the DK series to get its second character, and I assure you that no one bought any of the DK games just for K.Rool. That said, there is at least one game where they bought it for Dixie, who has shown up playable for every game she's ever appeared in (Outside of Smash) and was actually planned for Brawl. And whie she certianly shouldn't be made into a clone, it wouldn't even matter if she did, seeing Wolf. >_>

I would rather see Paper Mario as well, but I consider Bowser Jr. to be a bit more likely (though they both deserve it). He continually appears in antagonist roles in games from the main series, and he probably will show up in more games between now and SSB4, although he isn't quite as likely as Ridley and K. Rool.
I'm not denying that Bowser Jr. has his chances (Nor anyone here outside of K.Rool) but he's just not a shoe-in because he is a second version of a character, and I'd think that the main character of the series would get priority in such a case. Of course both could get in, and that'd be that.

True, but I'd say a Golden Sun character is a shoe-in.
I would agree that a new GS character would be a shoe-in, but its bad form to just say somthing like that if you don't know who. In all, I'd say wait for that game to come out, see if Isaac returns in any form, and see how fans react to the new main character, before deciding on who.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
Little Mac is the only shoe in because he's the star of a old and well liked series, which just recently had a new game. Ridley and K.Rool are just villains in their series, and seeing as the Smash games never have had much focus on villains, but rather the main characters, Mac has much higher chances.
Villains are some of the most important characters in video games. Without them, the main protagonist usually doesn't have a goal.

The Smash series really should have more focus on villains for this reason, and Ridley and King K. Rool are the most likely characters in their respective series because of it.

Since the Dk series took 3 games to get only two reps, i think that makes them more overdue to get more reps. Also, Villains still play a major part in Smash (Bowser, DeDeDe, Wario [seen as an ani-hero], Ganondorf, etc.) and since they get less game slots than heroes, it's a better reason to add more.

I do not think age has any affect on character descicions, Geno is still popular (though i do disdain him) and has as a good a shot as any other classic/semi-classic character (IC, G&W)

Clownbot

Smash Lord
I do not think age has any affect on character descicions, Geno is still popular (though i do disdain him) and has as a good a shot as any other classic/semi-classic character (IC, G&W)
Since the only game Geno appeared in (aside from cameos) was a Mario game, he would most likely be included in the Mario series, which deserves a more important character (probably Bowser Jr. or Paper Mario) than him.

Mario the Jumpman

Smash Ace
Mario the Jumpman:

HEY!!! THIS IS NINTENDO'S FRANCHISE!!! If you want a fighting game that brings together characters from different anime series, play Jump Super Stars or Jump Ultimate Stars. If you can't get either, then watch videos of those two games on Google Video, that's how I get my enjoyment from Mugen. But anime characters like the ones you listed, keep them away from SSB4.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Yes villains play a important role in their games, and if you have a story mode then you should have a villain for it, but that doesn't mean that you use every bland and generic villain that pops up, just because they are from a different series. The only villains that should really get in are the memorable and important ones, like Bowser, Ganondorf, and Dedede, and so far that has been it. In addition, Smash isn't even about putting good guy against bad guy, but rather the stars of Nintendo against each other. The villains who have made it in so far are stars of Nintendo, but K.Rool is just the generic cookie cutter end boss of his series, so why bother with him when you've got thousands of those elsewhere? Sure you may want to say that there is a need for more villains, but that doesn't mean that the next Smash will actually go in that direction, and if the last three games are any indication, it won't do that.

And as for Geno, there really is no way he's getting in, even with his oddly large internet fanbase. As said, he's a third party Mario character who has only really shown up for one game and one cameo. As the Mario series has much more deserving representatives (as does SE) there is no good justification for including Geno unless the roster is like 100 characters or something.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
Yes villains play a important role in their games, and if you have a story mode then you should have a villain for it, but that doesn't mean that you use every bland and generic villain that pops up, just because they are from a different series. The only villains that should really get in are the memorable and important ones, like Bowser, Ganondorf, and Dedede, and so far that has been it. In addition, Smash isn't even about putting good guy against bad guy, but rather the stars of Nintendo against each other. The villains who have made it in so far are stars of Nintendo, but K.Rool is just the generic cookie cutter end boss of his series, so why bother with him when you've got thousands of those elsewhere? Sure you may want to say that there is a need for more villains, but that doesn't mean that the next Smash will actually go in that direction, and if the last three games are any indication, it won't do that.
This is just me, but I find Bowser to be a pretty generic enemy. He got in just because he was the main enemy of Nintendo's biggest franchise.

Back in the SNES days, Donkey Kong was one of Nintendo's best franchises, and to me, that's enough to make King K. Rool a memorable villain worthy of representation.

Mario the Jumpman

Smash Ace
For those of you who think that Nintendo should bring back EVERY SINGLE fighter from the three previous Smash games (even if some like Roy and Pichu get more original movesets, they should not return), you should get over it and let Nintendo cut some characters from appearing in Smash 4.:mad:

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
But why him? There are very many other characters with well-liked series and a recent game. I want him in, but the fact is that most of his series lies in the retro days. Current characters > retro characters, because Smash represents Nintendo's characters which are significant at the time of release.

I know Ridley's size shouldn't be a issue, but its still something that is very much a problem, especially since he was actually shown in a smash game being much larger than the rest of the cast. Now this of course can be delt with, but as I said, its still a very real problem for him getting in.
I won't argue this because it's been argued so many times before.

Yes K.Rool is needed for the Donkey Kong plot, but that doesn't mean he's needed for Smash. He's just a rip off of Bowser in his Super Show incarnation, looking almost the complete same, and having the dress up fetish. Being a high seller doesn't seem to be much of a factor seeing that it took three games for the DK series to get its second character, and I assure you that no one bought any of the DK games just for K.Rool. That said, there is at least one game where they bought it for Dixie, who has shown up playable for every game she's ever appeared in (Outside of Smash) and was actually planned for Brawl. And whie she certianly shouldn't be made into a clone, it wouldn't even matter if she did, seeing Wolf. >_>
You're switching arguments. Earlier you said that K. Rool is not important, and now you're saying that he just isn't necessary. K. Rool is not a ripoff of Bowser. You can't use the non-canonical TV show for an argument about canonical importance, and from what I've heard K. Rool had a whole "I'm surrounded by idiots" thing in the TV show. Yes, Donkey Kong took three games to gain another character, but it can be explained for why it didn't get another rep. In Smash 64, it didn't get another because only Mario and Pokemon were given another rep, and since Zelda, the third most important series, didn't get another, so Donkey Kong, the fourth best selling, couldn't either. In Melee, the original roster made by Sakurai lacked Dr. Mario, Falco, Pichu, Roy, Young Link and Ganondorf. They were last minute additions, added because there was time for development of six clones or one original character. The six clones were chosen, but it's a safe bet that Donkey Kong would have gotten the original character slot if that was so choosen. In the original roster, only the big 3 had multiple reps, and Donkey Kong was the cutoff point for multiple reps. We can infer that the six clones did not include a second Donkey Kong character because there was no way for Diddy to be a clone of another character on the roster. If anything, Sakurai has been eager to add more DK reps, since he added one the first chance he could.

I in fact bought all three games in the DKC series because I wanted to see who K. Rool was after seeing how much support he got, so I bought them for K. Rool. But my main point is that games are bought for gameplay, not for characters. Nobody bought DKC2 because they thought that the new monkey on the boxart looked pretty
unless they were furries
. They bought it because the game sounded fun, or they were directed by a friend or a review to it, or they just liked the first.

Playability is a definite bonus for a character's chances, but the problem is that Dixie's playable roles have been largely meaningless. She had DKC2 and DKC3, but those were games way back in the SNES days. Her latest playable roles have been in spinoffs. In spinoffs, you have a whole cast of characters to play as, instead of one or two. If a spinoff has twenty characters in it, which is a very conservative esimate, and Dixie is one of those twenty, then that playable role is one-twentieth as significant. Playable roles in spinoffs don't make you recognized more, because you have so many other characters to choose from. It doesn't make her special, like K. Rool's significant roles have done.

Also, Dixie Kong was planned as a partner to Diddy. She would have probably been what Nana is to Popo, a clone who just follows the leader. It certainly wouldn't have been feasible to have a Diddy/K. Rool tag team, would it?

I'm not denying that Bowser Jr. has his chances (Nor anyone here outside of K.Rool) but he's just not a shoe-in because he is a second version of a character, and I'd think that the main character of the series would get priority in such a case. Of course both could get in, and that'd be that.
If you have a problem with multiple versions of the same character, shouldn't you be having a bigger concern with Paper Mario, who can actually be seen as Mario, and when Bowser Jr. is Bowser's son? I in fact don't care about different versions of a character. Also, Paper Mario would probably represent a new series anyways.

I would agree that a new GS character would be a shoe-in, but its bad form to just say somthing like that if you don't know who. In all, I'd say wait for that game to come out, see if Isaac returns in any form, and see how fans react to the new main character, before deciding on who.
By that argument it's bad form to say anything about which characters are likely. There's a possibility that Fire Emblem will implode upon itself and never get another game after Shadow Dragon, but you don't scold people for supporting a new FE lord. Also, since all of the support has gone to Isaac as a new playable character, maybe people will want to not rock the boat and continue to support Isaac. He's still a possibility.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
This is just me, but I find Bowser to be a pretty generic enemy. He got in just because he was the main enemy of Nintendo's biggest franchise.

Back in the SNES days, Donkey Kong was one of Nintendo's best franchises, and to me, that's enough to make King K. Rool a memorable villain worthy of representation.
Bowser was THE final boss though. And in any case, by the time that he did show up in Smash, his character was fleshed out a lot more than generic evil reptile boss #4245. (Though in Bowser's defence, he was generic evil reptile boss #1)

It's also not the SNES days. What mattered then doesn't matter now, especially if it wasn't the main character, who incidently did make the cut. (This kind of reminds me how people say SMRPG needs recognition in the form of Geno, when the game has three of its playable characters in Smash already)

DekuBoy

Smash Lord
I think Diddy/Dixie was scrapped to keep the Ice Climbers more unique. That's just my opinion though. But in regards to the above post, no-one on the NES had personality. The SNES/N64 fleshed out our favourites and these interpetations are the ones we enjoyed in Smash 64.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
But why him? There are very many other characters with well-liked series and a recent game. I want him in, but the fact is that most of his series lies in the retro days. Current characters > retro characters, because Smash represents Nintendo's characters which are significant at the time of release.
?

What other series mirror Mac's situation right now? Excite___? That's the only thing I can think of at the moment and that doesn't actually have a viable character. And what are you talking about with current characters? The most recent new Smash series was Pikmin which is like 8 years old now. Punch Out JUST got a new game and at the same time is retro. There's no justifiable argument against him regarding his age status.

You're switching arguments. Earlier you said that K. Rool is not important, and now you're saying that he just isn't necessary. K. Rool is not a ripoff of Bowser. You can't use the non-canonical TV show for an argument about canonical importance, and from what I've heard K. Rool had a whole "I'm surrounded by idiots" thing in the TV show. Yes, Donkey Kong took three games to gain another character, but it can be explained for why it didn't get another rep. In Smash 64, it didn't get another because only Mario and Pokemon were given another rep, and since Zelda, the third most important series, didn't get another, so Donkey Kong, the fourth best selling, couldn't either. In Melee, the original roster made by Sakurai lacked Dr. Mario, Falco, Pichu, Roy, Young Link and Ganondorf. They were last minute additions, added because there was time for development of six clones or one original character. The six clones were chosen, but it's a safe bet that Donkey Kong would have gotten the original character slot if that was so choosen. In the original roster, only the big 3 had multiple reps, and Donkey Kong was the cutoff point for multiple reps. We can infer that the six clones did not include a second Donkey Kong character because there was no way for Diddy to be a clone of another character on the roster. If anything, Sakurai has been eager to add more DK reps, since he added one the first chance he could.
If you're not important, chances are you're not necessary. And how can I not use that TV show? I'm not saying that Super Show Bowser should be added, I'm saying that K.Rool is a blatant ripoff of that incarnation of Bowser. You're making big assumptions with that Melee comment aren't you? In a sense it can be used against you since Dixie was proven to be initially intended for Brawl. As for Brawl, it didn't seem he was as eager to put a new one in as he was for Kirby or SF, since while those are below DK, they got three in the end.

I in fact bought all three games in the DKC series because I wanted to see who K. Rool was after seeing how much support he got, so I bought them for K. Rool. But my main point is that games are bought for gameplay, not for characters. Nobody bought DKC2 because they thought that the new monkey on the boxart looked pretty
unless they were furries
. They bought it because the game sounded fun, or they were directed by a friend or a review to it, or they just liked the first.
....You bought three games just to see a end boss? Kid, that's not rational at all. Glad you do know what is rational though.

Playability is a definite bonus for a character's chances, but the problem is that Dixie's playable roles have been largely meaningless. She had DKC2 and DKC3, but those were games way back in the SNES days. Her latest playable roles have been in spinoffs. In spinoffs, you have a whole cast of characters to play as, instead of one or two. If a spinoff has twenty characters in it, which is a very conservative esimate, and Dixie is one of those twenty, then that playable role is one-twentieth as significant. Playable roles in spinoffs don't make you recognized more, because you have so many other characters to choose from. It doesn't make her special, like K. Rool's significant roles have done.
K.Rool's only playable role was in a spin off too. It took him forever to get that too, and it was only in that recent baseball game where they were going to the bottom of the barrel for new characters. I guess he's just not that important/necessary. And quite frankly it seems that the multitude of times being playable in main games or otherwise HAS made Dixie the more preferable of the two to put in, seeing Brawl's data.

Also, Dixie Kong was planned as a partner to Diddy. She would have probably been what Nana is to Popo, a clone who just follows the leader. It certainly wouldn't have been feasible to have a Diddy/K. Rool tag team, would it?
No, it wouldn't seeing as K.Rool's not important/necessary to represent in Brawl. And in all likelyhood, Dixie's roll wasn't that. Mind you this is a bit of speculation on my part, but it seems pretty clear that Dixie was supposed to act as she did in DKC2, where she followed Diddy around, but could be switched in or out by tagging. The akward animation of Diddy's down B seems to support that he was supposed to use this move to make the switch. In addition, since Dixie was scraped due to technical difficulties, it seems pretty clear that what she was intended to do was in fact different from the Ice Climbers, since that had already been proven to work. If this theory is true, then Dixie had a full moveset minus a down B. (It also makes little sense for Dixie to have a jetpack when she has her hair, and also there are Diddy's tail moves)

If you have a problem with multiple versions of the same character, shouldn't you be having a bigger concern with Paper Mario, who can actually be seen as Mario, and when Bowser Jr. is Bowser's son? I in fact don't care about different versions of a character. Also, Paper Mario would probably represent a new series anyways.
No bigger concern with PM, since he's a alternate version of a main character, and has had three games where he has been the main character. Bowser Jr. is indeed not Bowser, but quite frankly they are almost as good as being alternate versions of each other as they not only look identical (check out Baby Bowser in M&L2) but also have the same basic name. (The Koopalins don't even have this)

By that argument it's bad form to say anything about which characters are likely. There's a possibility that Fire Emblem will implode upon itself and never get another game after Shadow Dragon, but you don't scold people for supporting a new FE lord. Also, since all of the support has gone to Isaac as a new playable character, maybe people will want to not rock the boat and continue to support Isaac. He's still a possibility.
No, its bad form OF saying who is likely. Its putting a placeholder for something which just looks bad. And yes I do scold people for saying that the new FE Lord will be added, because its just bad form, since you have no idea what you're getting into, and it seems lazy. And yes while Isaac is still a possibility, he very well may go the way of Ninten, and thus I'd say he actually has slightly less of a chance now than he did back before Brawl.

I think Diddy/Dixie was scrapped to keep the Ice Climbers more unique. That's just my opinion though. But in regards to the above post, no-one on the NES had personality. The SNES/N64 fleshed out our favourites and these interpetations are the ones we enjoyed in Smash 64.
I think Dixie was scrapped due to time constraints, late in the project (The reason his Down B is a bannana, it was intended to be swap like in DK2/3)

Bowser was THE final boss though. And in any case, by the time that he did show up in Smash, his character was fleshed out a lot more than generic evil reptile boss #4245. (Though in Bowser's defence, he was generic evil reptile boss #1)
So why can't we use Smash to Flesh out K. Rool? Besides I would like to see hwo exactly Bowser has been "Fleshed out" As last time i checke dhe was still the same character he has always been. He kidnaps Peach and acts like a powerhungry kind...in every game...where's the depth. K. Rool has been fleshed out just as much as Bowser has, Bowser has just had the same bland role repeated more times.

Ahh, ignorance is so very embarrasing. I seem to have forgotten all about the SMRPG, so you have my apologies. K. Rool, however has been fleshed out to a degree with his multiple roles within the DKC series.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Is the Bowser in the RPG's ( I believe we are speaking of the Paper Mario RPG's, correct) And you have stated Paper Mario is different than Mario so doesn't that mean Bowser is different from his Paper counterpart (coreect me if this is not what you meant)
Hmm? The RPGs don't include just the Paper Mario games. There is also the original SMRPG, as well as the M&L games (the latest of which, Bowser stars in) Bowser isn't different from his paper counterpart either, and neither is Mario. I just said Mario in his paper form (and implied but not stated that he should use abilities from the PM games) should be a seperate playable character due to the series prominance.

Hmm? The RPGs don't include just the Paper Mario games. There is also the original SMRPG, as well as the M&L games (the latest of which, Bowser stars in) Bowser isn't different from his paper counterpart either, and neither is Mario. I just said Mario in his paper form (and implied but not stated that he should use abilities from the PM games) should be a seperate playable character due to the series prominance.
Yeah, My bad, i realized that after...anyway that being said, K. Rool is at least semi-fleshed out. He has taken on 3 personas, appeared in the DKC series as well as DK64 and has a near-limitless movepool as well as a heavyset, which SSBB lacks at this point.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Huh? No heavyset characters? Was Wario not in Brawl? And being fleshed doesn't mean taking on multiple people, or having a "near-limitless" movepool, and actually I've never seen a K.Rool moveset that doesn't copy stuff from other characters. (Its pretty much taking out that musket, that moronic crown throw which is just like Link's boomerang anyways, and then generic stolen moves from other characters)

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Ridley might actually have a chance, since he's the main antagonist now that Mother Brain is dead. and I don't think we can really exclude anyone, as the Smash bros. series is known for throwing in one character no one sees coming-the first one? Ness. sequel? Mr. G&W, IC. third? Snake, R.O.B. and on that note, age deosn't really factor in whether someone can join or not-the IC's were only in one game that ameout in the 80's(and the remake came out after Melee), and Pit's last game came out 16 years before Brawl, yet he made it.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
Does anyone else think that Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden) would make an awesome 3rd party character?

I mean, I know he's not the most talked-about choice, but he's got all the requirements met, and he's a ****ING NINJA as well.

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
?

What other series mirror Mac's situation right now? Excite___? That's the only thing I can think of at the moment and that doesn't actually have a viable character. And what are you talking about with current characters? The most recent new Smash series was Pikmin which is like 8 years old now. Punch Out JUST got a new game and at the same time is retro. There's no justifiable argument against him regarding his age status.
I am not arguing against Little Mac. He's a great option as he is retro and still has a new game coming out. What I think is ridiculous is that you claim that Little Mac is the only shoe-in. He has a great chance, but the fact is that if you strip away all of his non-recent games, you get one game. Little Mac's roots lie as a retro character, and retro and WTF characters have no priority over recent characters, like Ridley, and dare I say it, K. Rool, as the main priority of Smash is to represent recent gaming. Little Mac is a good option, but it's ridiculous to call him the only shoe-in.

If you're not important, chances are you're not necessary. And how can I not use that TV show? I'm not saying that Super Show Bowser should be added, I'm saying that K.Rool is a blatant ripoff of that incarnation of Bowser. You're making big assumptions with that Melee comment aren't you? In a sense it can be used against you since Dixie was proven to be initially intended for Brawl. As for Brawl, it didn't seem he was as eager to put a new one in as he was for Kirby or SF, since while those are below DK, they got three in the end.
You earlier admitted that he is vital to the plot of Donkey Kong, and changed your argument to that importance does not equal deservingness. You cannot use a non-canonical TV show which hasn't ran since 2000, especially when Smash is all about video gaming. You might as well use the CD-i Zeldas to prove that only Link can defeat Ganondorf and Ganondorf is out of character in Smash. Yes, I am making an assumption, but one based off of facts. And while Sakurai may have been more willing to give Kirby and Star Fox more reps, both series have hit a ceiling in reps. Kirby only has generic enemies left, and Star Fox has only Krystal, who's... a character with enough haters to match lovers and who is insignificant anyway. Sakurai may favor them, but he has no options in SSB4 but disregarding them and focusing on other series.

....You bought three games just to see a end boss? Kid, that's not rational at all. Glad you do know what is rational though.
Hearing so much about K. Rool indeed was what made me curious to play them, and what motivated me while I was playing was the good gameplay. Also, I love how you, instead of saying anything about my point, you bash a minor point and then insult my age.

K.Rool's only playable role was in a spin off too. It took him forever to get that too, and it was only in that recent baseball game where they were going to the bottom of the barrel for new characters. I guess he's just not that important/necessary. And quite frankly it seems that the multitude of times being playable in main games or otherwise HAS made Dixie the more preferable of the two to put in, seeing Brawl's data.
How do spinoffs have anything to do with being important or necessary? Is Waluigi important or necessary? Is Baby Daisy important or necessary? No, because they are insignificant spinoff characters. While Dixie may have been a mainstream character in the SNES days of old, she can be equated to Waluigi now. And I'm making another assumption, but perhaps Sakurai was trying to fit in as many reps as he could in as few spots as he could by making Dixie a tagteam with Diddy.

No, it wouldn't seeing as K.Rool's not important/necessary to represent in Brawl. And in all likelyhood, Dixie's roll wasn't that. Mind you this is a bit of speculation on my part, but it seems pretty clear that Dixie was supposed to act as she did in DKC2, where she followed Diddy around, but could be switched in or out by tagging. The akward animation of Diddy's down B seems to support that he was supposed to use this move to make the switch. In addition, since Dixie was scraped due to technical difficulties, it seems pretty clear that what she was intended to do was in fact different from the Ice Climbers, since that had already been proven to work. If this theory is true, then Dixie had a full moveset minus a down B. (It also makes little sense for Dixie to have a jetpack when she has her hair, and also there are Diddy's tail moves)
The files for the forbidden seven were extremely small. I believe most of them only had a few animations, but no full moveset. They may have planned something like that, but if they did, why wouldn't they program it? Also, it isn't a stretch to say that Dixie couldn't be a clone based off of only two moves she can't use? Dixie could use her ponytail for a tail, and she could just grab onto Diddy's legs for the jetpack. Also, whether or not a character can canonically use a move is clearly not a priority to Sakurai, based off of the moveset he made for Ganondorf.

No bigger concern with PM, since he's a alternate version of a main character, and has had three games where he has been the main character. Bowser Jr. is indeed not Bowser, but quite frankly they are almost as good as being alternate versions of each other as they not only look identical (check out Baby Bowser in M&L2) but also have the same basic name. (The Koopalins don't even have this)
Fine, it's pointless to argue about this when I more or less agree with you.

No, its bad form OF saying who is likely. Its putting a placeholder for something which just looks bad. And yes I do scold people for saying that the new FE Lord will be added, because its just bad form, since you have no idea what you're getting into, and it seems lazy. And yes while Isaac is still a possibility, he very well may go the way of Ninten, and thus I'd say he actually has slightly less of a chance now than he did back before Brawl.
We put placeholders for things because things shift. By SSB4, we could have many new series and characters may become more important over time. It may look bad, but it's the truth. Also, the FE example was an example, not a statement of fact.

And being fleshed doesn't mean taking on multiple people, or having a "near-limitless" movepool, and actually I've never seen a K.Rool moveset that doesn't copy stuff from other characters. (Its pretty much taking out that musket, that moronic crown throw which is just like Link's boomerang anyways, and then generic stolen moves from other characters)
I kindly direct you to MasterWarlord's quite unique and original K. Rool moveset.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Sorry to just butt in, but I think Ridley's size has always been the issue. Sakurai evidently wants to depict him as the huge boss that he is in most appearances. You'll bring up the Melee intro, but we can bring up Ridley's boss battle in Brawl. Yeah, Ridley *can* be resized, Ridley is popular, etc., etc. And yet, Ridley still hasn't been added.

Now, I'm not eliminating the possibility that Ridley could become playable in the next game (especially since there are few first-party stars left); I just disagree with calling him a "shoe-in" for reasons that have applied since before Melee and have had no pay-off since then. (I wouldn't call many characters "shoe-ins" at this point anyway.)

Tacel

Smash Lord
K. Rool isn't all that important or original, and would only exist to ad in one more character from the DK series, which isn't needed.
The villains who have made it in so far are stars of Nintendo, but K.Rool is just the generic cookie cutter end boss of his series, so why bother with him when you've got thousands of those elsewhere?
Why do you hate King K. Rool so much?

+

=

It's also not the SNES days. What mattered then doesn't matter now
Hey... Ike.
Are you thinking what I'm thinking?
Can you do it for me this time?
I'm too busy typing.

Thank you.

Four words:
R.O.B.
is
in
Brawl.

sundayseclipse

Smash Journeyman
lol ace is right.

King K. Rool is no big deal weather he gets in. Same with ridley.
Ridley deserves a spot, and making him smaller wont be that hard. make his structure thay of charzards but abit bigger and more slouchy.

GS can have more than 1 represenative so can sin and punishment, even punch out could.

as for paper mario and mario being alike. thats bs. can mario fold into an airplane and glide. can mario turn into a boat. nuff said.

now for baby mario and luigi, HECK NO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom