• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBQTV

Smash Master
*nom nom nom*

Anyway, ROB has very little chances of being cut. Yes, he's obscure, but the guy was the reason the NES succeeded, so he has a firm bond with Nintendo history. Besides, he has a unique moveset, and the only character with a unique moveset to be cut was Mewtwo, and we know how that went over... I won't say it's out of the question, but the chances are definitely low. Like, really low.
you think so? yeah thats true but he's not really known i didn't know who he was till brawl so their people who probably think he's here 4 LOLZ

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
BBQTV said:
you think so? yeah thats true but he's not really known i didn't know who he was till brawl so their people who probably think he's here 4 LOLZ
So? Did you know what Mother was before Smash? Be honest.

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
._. I thought it was only out in Japan >_>...
That's beside the point. What matters is that Mother was largely Japan-only and Sakurai added Ness and Lucas anyway, Ness in the original no less, not that people couldn't have known about them.
Besides, Earthbound was released outside Japan...

Ninja Kirby Nick!

Smash Lord
That's not what your mother said last night Trebek
That's beside the point. What matters is that Mother was largely Japan-only and Sakurai added Ness and Lucas anyway, Ness in the original no less, not that people couldn't have known about them.
Besides, Earthbound was released outside Japan...
I know...what your spoiler said, but alot of people don't know who Lucas is at all!

Which reminds me of another Japan exclusive duo. You should know what I'm talking about >_>.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
When I think "Japan" and "duo" I think Donbe & Hikari. But they didn't have their own game, did they?
Yeah, they did, but they were never in Smash (except for the trophy cameo). I'm pretty sure NKN was talking about ICs without being aware that their game was an American release also.

.WC.

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, they did, but they were never in Smash (except for the trophy cameo). I'm pretty sure NKN was talking about ICs without being aware that their game was an American release also.
That's probably more likely.

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
know what I know this sounds nerdy and never going to happen (even if it's on a forum about gaming) but I really want some manga characters on smash like what there doing for Super Smash Flash 2.

.WC.

Smash Journeyman
know what I know this sounds nerdy and never going to happen (even if it's on a forum about gaming) but I really want some manga characters on smash like what there doing for Super Smash Flash 2.
Well it's never going to happen. 3rd party characters are enough outside Nintendo sources for smash characters.

SSF2 is going to be kickass, btw.

LoganW

Smash Journeyman
the next smash bros needs to have more hit-stun and needs to be sped up like melle. somehow sakurai went from the heavenly creation that was melee into the abomination that is brawl

mariorocks64

Smash Journeyman
there should be some japan only characters.
Donbe & Hikari: I know nothing, but I just said it anyway :)
Lip: perfect assist trophy, but what if she was playable?
Stafy: only if he would do things beside spinning
A character from magical starsign: I don't know.

these are my only ideas for newest additions. add a few characters from yoshi, wario, metroid, F-zero,

these are ideas that have been mentioned atleast once.
kamek
Baby mario bros
Mona
Ashley & Red
Kat & Ana
Orbulon
9-volt
Ridley
Samurai Goroh
Black Shadow

my favorite pick is baby mario

my idea on anime stands.
Fumu (Hoshi No Kaabi) this idea is going overboard. I know.
Ash ketchum costume for pokemon trainer
D/P female trainer (piplup, bunery, and puchurisu) final smash would be mammoswine.

if any more third party needs to get in, it needs to be either bomberman, or megaman. first, they could remove snake.

I remember playing goemon. did nintendo create Goemon? if they did, I will suggest Goemon characters.

mariorocks64

Smash Journeyman
Please gtfo.
you just can't give up your main. can you?

the majority of his games were on sony. only one game was on gamecube. and he was begged for the spot. if this is the third parties get in smash, you might as well expect sora from kingdom hearts, or a final fantasy character. square can cave to nintendo anytime.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Funny you mention Link and Fox, my brother plays both (and he's definitely non-competitive). In Melee, he felt Fox was unstoppable and Link was pretty pathetic. In Brawl, he feels Fox isn't quite as good as he used to be but Link is a thousand times better.

Anyway, fans in general (competitive or not) have a widely differing opinion on what's broken and what's reasonable. Sakurai has his own little mental tier list too. The only pattern I've seen from his is generally nerfing the very top of the tier list. So aside from Meta Knight and probably Snake, I wouldn't expect anything in particular from him.
There are two views on balance depending on how you play. Competative players look at the tier list. Casual players (basically anyone who doesn't follow 1v1, no items, Fox only, FD) view the game a lot differently.

Generally, we see the game as being balanced overall where most characters can compete. These people felt Melee was either broken or balanced, but everyone agrees that Brawl is more balanced over Melee, There is some disagreement on if some characters are better then one another. Typically, the characters who stand out are......
  • Ike-****** strength. He's so powerful that he can KO most characters without even trying.
  • Lucas-Strong smash moves and specials. Like, ridiculously strong (Up Smash anyone)
  • Snake-Just really powerful overall. Him being powerful isn't the problem, it's that he disproportionately powerful in terms of his speed and size.
  • Pikachu-Lots of cheap moves. Down Smash and Thunder are hard to get though.
Other characters have annoying aspects too, but these are the biggest ones. Snake isn't as bad as the other three, but he is an honorable mention. As far as Meta-Knight goes, he's only bad in his Tornado and down smash. Otherwise, most people don't see him as a threat.

That is crazy that he thinks Link is amazing. I think he's weaker (namely as his forward smash and Up special are not as good), but defiantly still viable. I can see how players perceive things differently.

I don't agree with this ideology, and I can't even visualize how they can balance the game with items which have a tendancy to be gamebreakers. Not only that, but this can end up making characters dependent on items instead of their inherent moveset. It's like trying to merge the FPS and Fighting genres into one.

The way I see it, items, stage hazards, and nonneutral stages can give some characters outrageous advantages and disadvantages and create a major random factor involved. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a tourney***. I like playing Smash in the various ways available. If I want to test my skills, I play on neutral stages with no items on. If I want to mess around, I mess around with the settings. I also want the swap between the two to simple as turning as on a switch.
Your problem is you've been brainwashed. You only see with a competitive eye.

Items help everyone as they add an advantage aspect. They give characters advantages over the others in some way. This allows any character to compete. Even if you use a really bad character (like Pichu), then the items will still make you better then everyone else. Most competitive players believe items make the game too random, but most items have a way around them and a way to use them. One of the biggest flaws in the EVO Finals 08 was that both players threw their battering items. While this is OK for the bat, you are either giving up your item or worse giving it to the other player for him/her to use on you. For all battering items, you should use them as battering items. They get a lot of use out of them that way.

Also, Smash does well because it is a dynamic multiplayer game. People expect fun and crazy stages/items. They are a very important part of the game. I'll tell you (to all tournament players reading) that tournament play is SOOOOO boring. If your going to play like that, I'm going to watch another game.

{quote]Anyway, how is Link broken in Melee, and the same goes for Ike and Lucas in Brawl.[/QUOTE]
This is what shows me you know nothing about how people like myself play. This also means you can never understand that mindset most of us have for this game. This is why I frown on all your idea that make the game closer to Street Fighter.

I've already gone into Ike and Lucas. Link was broken as he was super powerful, and had a sword and a projectile. His forward smash was easy to hit and KO with as was his up special, both on the ground or in the air. He had a number of strong killing moves on top of those two. Plus, he had a plethora of projectiles and out ranged most characters. He also had a good recovery and an extended grab.

BG3

Smash Journeyman
There are two views on balance depending on how you play. Competative players look at the tier list. Casual players (basically anyone who doesn't follow 1v1, no items, Fox only, FD) view the game a lot differently.

Generally, we see the game as being balanced overall where most characters can compete. These people felt Melee was either broken or balanced, but everyone agrees that Brawl is more balanced over Melee, There is some disagreement on if some characters are better then one another. Typically, the characters who stand out are......
  • Ike-****** strength. He's so powerful that he can KO most characters without even trying.
  • Lucas-Strong smash moves and specials. Like, ridiculously strong (Up Smash anyone)
  • Snake-Just really powerful overall. Him being powerful isn't the problem, it's that he disproportionately powerful in terms of his speed and size.
  • Pikachu-Lots of cheap moves. Down Smash and Thunder are hard to get though.
Other characters have annoying aspects too, but these are the biggest ones. Snake isn't as bad as the other three, but he is an honorable mention. As far as Meta-Knight goes, he's only bad in his Tornado and down smash. Otherwise, most people don't see him as a threat.

That is crazy that he thinks Link is amazing. I think he's weaker (namely as his forward smash and Up special are not as good), but defiantly still viable. I can see how players perceive things differently.

Your problem is you've been brainwashed. You only see with a competitive eye.

Items help everyone as they add an advantage aspect. They give characters advantages over the others in some way. This allows any character to compete. Even if you use a really bad character (like Pichu), then the items will still make you better then everyone else. Most competitive players believe items make the game too random, but most items have a way around them and a way to use them. One of the biggest flaws in the EVO Finals 08 was that both players threw their battering items. While this is OK for the bat, you are either giving up your item or worse giving it to the other player for him/her to use on you. For all battering items, you should use them as battering items. They get a lot of use out of them that way.

Also, Smash does well because it is a dynamic multiplayer game. People expect fun and crazy stages/items. They are a very important part of the game. I'll tell you (to all tournament players reading) that tournament play is SOOOOO boring. If your going to play like that, I'm going to watch another game.

{quote]Anyway, how is Link broken in Melee, and the same goes for Ike and Lucas in Brawl.
This is what shows me you know nothing about how people like myself play. This also means you can never understand that mindset most of us have for this game. This is why I frown on all your idea that make the game closer to Street Fighter.I've already gone into Ike and Lucas. Link was broken as he was super powerful, and had a sword and a projectile. His forward smash was easy to hit and KO with as was his up special, both on the ground or in the air. He had a number of strong killing moves on top of those two. Plus, he had a plethora of projectiles and out ranged most characters. He also had a good recovery and an extended grab.[/QUOTE]

No offense, but that is really misinformed. How can you determine balance from a game if you do not play competitively? If you are playing the game with items as well as on a crazy stage, how at all can you determine balance in a fighting game? Items and crazy stages were banned for a reason. They give certain characters too large of an advantage and give other certain characters too much of a disadvantage. For example, Ness had too large of a disadvantage in Saffron City 64 because of the way his recovery worked. If you truly want to determine character balance, then you need to block out any form of a distraction that could potentially greatly change the outcome of the match without the users control. Basically, you cannot have random elements(items and stage hazards) fight a match for you and then think you can determine character balance.

Brawl is terribly balanced, Melee was much more balanced even though the balance wasn't good there either. Like I said before, you can't determine which game is more balanced if you play with random items on with crazy stages. They can potentially change the match so much that it doesn't even matter how skilled you are. A stock match with no items on Final Destination is truly the best way to determine character balance because you rely on your character's moveset as well as your own skill level. Really, the people with the most skill level is obviously people that attend tourneys. People like Isai and Ken are widely regarded as the best Melee players, and they attended a lot of tourneys. Playing in a competitive enviroment such as this is a way to determine which characters overall are better by the tools they have available to them in their moveset. With items and crazy stages, balance is impossible to determine because anything can happen in an instant to change the match out of the player's control(For example, two players are playing a match on Port Town and player 1 is winning the match with 50% damage while player 2 has a damage percentage of 150%. Clearly player 1 has the advantage, and can kill player 2 with whatever moves he or she has available to him or her at any second. But all of a sudden, a random F-Zero car comes by and hits player 1 killing him/her and ending the match with player 2 as the winner. Do you see how playing like this cannot determine character balance at all?)

In regards to your so called "cheap characters", the only situation where these characters can even be considered "cheap" is in an FFA match, which I've explained above why matches such as these cannot be used to determine character balance. Ike is balanced out by having all of his powerful moves being super slow with tons of startup or endlag. Even then, some still say he is kind of a below average character. Try connecting any of Ike's powerful moves in a 1 vs. 1 match compared to a FFA match. Lucas' up-smash is slow and and has startup and endlag to it to balance out its incredible power. It is generally hard to hit with and would take an idiot to just stand there and wait for him to finish the attack. Also, Link was not broken in Melee at all. He was good, but not broken. The power of his foward smash was only that powerful because it was generally hard to hit with in the first place unless you were playing a FFA match, which by now, you should probably know is a terrible way to determine character balance. His spin attack was powerful, I admit, but definitely not broken. The move rewarded you if you hit with it, but again, doing that is a diffucult task to do. It is definitely not spammable like MK's nado or Snake's tilts. Link in Brawl is atrocious, his most rewarding moves were turned worse for no reason, and even if his moves with abnormally large ending lag somehow managed to connect, the knockback behind it wasn't even worth the effort to land it. Spin attack is terrible because the knockback is s*** and it has tons of endlag, even if you don't charge the move. His f-smash should've stayed the same because it still is generally hard to hit with like in Melee, but it's even weaker with even more endlag(I think).

Also, competitive players find competitive matches FUN. Believe it or not, competitive players actually have fun in how they play, crazy isn't it? But seriously, this is one of the most common misconceptions of casual scrubs who think that tourney players don't play for fun. Just because they play a different way doesn't mean that they don't have fun playing the way they do. This is off subject, but IMO, the best thing that could happen to smash is if the competitive players designed it in terms of balance and made an overall physics upgrade from vbrawl, while the casuals could use creative ideas for the various items and stages while the competitive players would make sure they're not too overpowered. Competitives and casuals working together? Blasphemy!! But I actually do think that the final product would be loads better than anything that Sakurai could come up with, no offense to him and his team.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
This is what shows me you know nothing about how people like myself play. This also means you can never understand that mindset most of us have for this game. This is why I frown on all your idea that make the game closer to Street Fighter.I've already gone into Ike and Lucas. Link was broken as he was super powerful, and had a sword and a projectile. His forward smash was easy to hit and KO with as was his up special, both on the ground or in the air. He had a number of strong killing moves on top of those two. Plus, he had a plethora of projectiles and out ranged most characters. He also had a good recovery and an extended grab.

No offense, but that is really misinformed. How can you determine balance from a game if you do not play competitively? If you are playing the game with items as well as on a crazy stage, how at all can you determine balance in a fighting game? Items and crazy stages were banned for a reason. They give certain characters too large of an advantage and give other certain characters too much of a disadvantage. For example, Ness had too large of a disadvantage in Saffron City 64 because of the way his recovery worked. If you truly want to determine character balance, then you need to block out any form of a distraction that could potentially greatly change the outcome of the match without the users control. Basically, you cannot have random elements(items and stage hazards) fight a match for you and then think you can determine character balance.
I find it insulting that you have to be competitive to get a say.

It's evident you have not been paying attention. I'm calling your parents and giving you a D for the day. Competitive Brawl is the worst way to tell balance because it removes most elements from the game that would otherwise be attributed when balancing the game. They eliminate most of the content, which makes certain characters do better. In all three games, speed was the biggest factor for a character to do well in the tier list. Pikachu was top in 64 for being fast. Most of the top tiers in Melee were fast. Meta-Knight is the king of fast. Besides Snake and Dedede, fast characters always outrank the powerful characters

But here is another reason why competitive skews the balance. Ganondorf is bottom tier in Brawl (i think he's actually the bottom now). However, he does well in teams as most competitive players state. So, up the number of characters, and Ganondorf gets better. Fox was top tier in Melee, and his trophy clearly stated "Fox is good in one on one battles," so he naturally became top tier in Melee. Competitive play is biased towards one on one characters. Meta-Knight is a twitch character, so he naturally dominates in 1v1.

Also (to bold), calling items simply "random elements" means you don't understand them and the premise of Smash Bros. I can safely say I could stop you with items on since you don't understand their fundamentals.

Brawl is terribly balanced, Melee was much more balanced even though the balance wasn't good there either. Like I said before, you can't determine which game is more balanced if you play with random items on with crazy stages. They can potentially change the match so much that it doesn't even matter how skilled you are. A stock match with no items on Final Destination is truly the best way to determine character balance because you rely on your character's moveset as well as your own skill level. Really, the people with the most skill level is obviously people that attend tourneys. People like Isai and Ken are widely regarded as the best Melee players, and they attended a lot of tourneys. Playing in a competitive enviroment such as this is a way to determine which characters overall are better by the tools they have available to them in their moveset. With items and crazy stages, balance is impossible to determine because anything can happen in an instant to change the match out of the player's control(For example, two players are playing a match on Port Town and player 1 is winning the match with 50% damage while player 2 has a damage percentage of 150%. Clearly player 1 has the advantage, and can kill player 2 with whatever moves he or she has available to him or her at any second. But all of a sudden, a random F-Zero car comes by and hits player 1 killing him/her and ending the match with player 2 as the winner. Do you see how playing like this cannot determine character balance at all?)
Makes a statement with no backing. How is Melee more balanced then Brawl? Becuase everyone says so?
You claim stages and items create biased, but don't beleive that 1v1 does? The game designed on four player battles. You don't have to play them, but that is how the game is designed.
Tournement playsa are the best players: Isia and Ken are tournament players; thus, Isia and Ken are the best players. Problem is that you have not proven the claim that tournament players are the best. You just assume. Note that tournament players only play other tournament players. By your logic, the best play only the best and no one else. Everyone is the best.
Umm, maybe you should have, I don't know, NOT GET HIT BY THE CAR. They are big, you can see them coming. People only say that people they can not account for anything else going on on screen. You and every other competitive player has a serious case of tunnel vision. Also, I can throw you into the cars. Doesn't that mean I have control over you getting KOed (which is the same concept s a combo). Again, you do not understand the concept on hazards. I assume you hate golf.
In regards to your so called "cheap characters", the only situation where these characters can even be considered "cheap" is in an FFA match, which I've explained above why matches such as these cannot be used to determine character balance. Ike is balanced out by having all of his powerful moves being super slow with tons of startup or endlag. Even then, some still say he is kind of a below average character. Try connecting any of Ike's powerful moves in a 1 vs. 1 match compared to a FFA match. Lucas' up-smash is slow and and has startup and endlag to it to balance out its incredible power. It is generally hard to hit with and would take an idiot to just stand there and wait for him to finish the attack. Also, Link was not broken in Melee at all. He was good, but not broken. The power of his foward smash was only that powerful because it was generally hard to hit with in the first place unless you were playing a FFA match, which by now, you should probably know is a terrible way to determine character balance. His spin attack was powerful, I admit, but definitely not broken. The move rewarded you if you hit with it, but again, doing that is a diffucult task to do. It is definitely not spammable like MK's nado or Snake's tilts. Link in Brawl is atrocious, his most rewarding moves were turned worse for no reason, and even if his moves with abnormally large ending lag somehow managed to connect, the knockback behind it wasn't even worth the effort to land it. Spin attack is terrible because the knockback is s*** and it has tons of endlag, even if you don't charge the move. His f-smash should've stayed the same because it still is generally hard to hit with like in Melee, but it's even weaker with even more endlag(I think).
Wow. You basically assume that competitive play determines how the game is and thus make arguments based off of that,. Did you ever realize that if I prove your claim false (that competitive play is how the game is determined to be balanced) that your whole argument falls apart. Your basically relying on a cardboard box to save you from a hurricane.

Again, like I've said, the game is balanced based on 4vs. As I've mentioned, 1v1 is extraordinarily biased. You claim my argument is wrong only on that competitive play must be right. I shouldn't even be replying because your whole premise for writing a tl;dr was because you assume that competitive play is right. As I've said before, 1v1 is biased towards certain characters, items equalize the characters (as well as help/hurt others) and stages are used to take advantage off (if someone uses the stage to kill you, then they killed you). Assuming makes an a** out of you and me.

What I find insulting is that you are basically saying I'm not playing the game the right way. This is the same bunker argument that tourney***s use to protect them when they play competitively. Basically, your saying I'm not playing the right way. The way it was "meant" to be indented. You really slurp the tourney koolade.

Also, competitive players find competitive matches FUN. Believe it or not, competitive players actually have fun in how they play, crazy isn't it? But seriously, this is one of the most common misconceptions of casual scrubs who think that tourney players don't play for fun. Just because they play a different way doesn't mean that they don't have fun playing the way they do. This is off subject, but IMO, the best thing that could happen to smash is if the competitive players designed it in terms of balance and made an overall physics upgrade from vbrawl, while the casuals could use creative ideas for the various items and stages while the competitive players would make sure they're not too overpowered. Competitives and casuals working together? Blasphemy!! But I actually do think that the final product would be loads better than anything that Sakurai could come up with, no offense to him and his team.
I never said that they didn't have the play the way they wanted to. Your a hypocrite. You imply that I'm playing it the wrong way but criticize me for "claiming" that competitive players aren't playing for fun. You calling me a scrub confirms this.

And no, ignoring competitive play is the best thing Sakurai has done. Competitive players will never be happy with items or stage effects. They will only want to make it as static as possible which will bore the rest of use. Smash was designed to be a dynamic fighting game; making the game in tournament play style will break this ides which has made the game a success. But, it doesn't matter as you can hack the game to your liking, which is fine.

Let me say this though. You are basically a drone. Your entire argument was based on the thought that competitive play is the correct way to play. Not that most Smash Bros fans do not play like this and find it boring. How are your rules right and an indicator of balance when no one else subscribes to the doctrine. You do not understand me at all or anyone else who is not competitive. You see competitive players are gods among men who are sophisticated and the rest of us as filth. You loath Sakurai and call him an idiot because Brawl made the peasants happy, but not the dukes or earls.

It's not worth my time to talk to you when you have no real arguments and think I'm not playing the game right anyway. You don't understand me, but I understand you.

Zario777

Smash Apprentice
I bet you guys that if they balance out the game, it would really suck. I just have a feeling that it'll suck.

BG3

Smash Journeyman
[/COLOR]

I find it insulting that you have to be competitive to get a say.

It's evident you have not been paying attention. I'm calling your parents and giving you a D for the day. Competitive Brawl is the worst way to tell balance because it removes most elements from the game that would otherwise be attributed when balancing the game. They eliminate most of the content, which makes certain characters do better. In all three games, speed was the biggest factor for a character to do well in the tier list. Pikachu was top in 64 for being fast. Most of the top tiers in Melee were fast. Meta-Knight is the king of fast. Besides Snake and Dedede, fast characters always outrank the powerful characters

But here is another reason why competitive skews the balance. Ganondorf is bottom tier in Brawl (i think he's actually the bottom now). However, he does well in teams as most competitive players state. So, up the number of characters, and Ganondorf gets better. Fox was top tier in Melee, and his trophy clearly stated "Fox is good in one on one battles," so he naturally became top tier in Melee. Competitive play is biased towards one on one characters. Meta-Knight is a twitch character, so he naturally dominates in 1v1.

Also (to bold), calling items simply "random elements" means you don't understand them and the premise of Smash Bros. I can safely say I could stop you with items on since you don't understand their fundamentals.

Makes a statement with no backing. How is Melee more balanced then Brawl? Becuase everyone says so?
You claim stages and items create biased, but don't beleive that 1v1 does? The game designed on four player battles. You don't have to play them, but that is how the game is designed.
Tournement playsa are the best players: Isia and Ken are tournament players; thus, Isia and Ken are the best players. Problem is that you have not proven the claim that tournament players are the best. You just assume. Note that tournament players only play other tournament players. By your logic, the best play only the best and no one else. Everyone is the best.
Umm, maybe you should have, I don't know, NOT GET HIT BY THE CAR. They are big, you can see them coming. People only say that people they can not account for anything else going on on screen. You and every other competitive player has a serious case of tunnel vision. Also, I can throw you into the cars. Doesn't that mean I have control over you getting KOed (which is the same concept s a combo). Again, you do not understand the concept on hazards. I assume you hate golf.

Wow. You basically assume that competitive play determines how the game is and thus make arguments based off of that,. Did you ever realize that if I prove your claim false (that competitive play is how the game is determined to be balanced) that your whole argument falls apart. Your basically relying on a cardboard box to save you from a hurricane.

Again, like I've said, the game is balanced based on 4vs. As I've mentioned, 1v1 is extraordinarily biased. You claim my argument is wrong only on that competitive play must be right. I shouldn't even be replying because your whole premise for writing a tl;dr was because you assume that competitive play is right. As I've said before, 1v1 is biased towards certain characters, items equalize the characters (as well as help/hurt others) and stages are used to take advantage off (if someone uses the stage to kill you, then they killed you). Assuming makes an a** out of you and me.

What I find insulting is that you are basically saying I'm not playing the game the right way. This is the same bunker argument that tourney***s use to protect them when they play competitively. Basically, your saying I'm not playing the right way. The way it was "meant" to be indented. You really slurp the tourney koolade.

I never said that they didn't have the play the way they wanted to. Your a hypocrite. You imply that I'm playing it the wrong way but criticize me for "claiming" that competitive players aren't playing for fun. You calling me a scrub confirms this.

And no, ignoring competitive play is the best thing Sakurai has done. Competitive players will never be happy with items or stage effects. They will only want to make it as static as possible which will bore the rest of use. Smash was designed to be a dynamic fighting game; making the game in tournament play style will break this ides which has made the game a success. But, it doesn't matter as you can hack the game to your liking, which is fine.

Let me say this though. You are basically a drone. Your entire argument was based on the thought that competitive play is the correct way to play. Not that most Smash Bros fans do not play like this and find it boring. How are your rules right and an indicator of balance when no one else subscribes to the doctrine. You do not understand me at all or anyone else who is not competitive. You see competitive players are gods among men who are sophisticated and the rest of us as filth. You loath Sakurai and call him an idiot because Brawl made the peasants happy, but not the dukes or earls.

It's not worth my time to talk to you when you have no real arguments and think I'm not playing the game right anyway. You don't understand me, but I understand you.
OK, first, let's get something straight. I never said that you were playing the game the wrong way, I only said that you cannot state that Brawl is more balanced than Melee if you're playing with items on or on a crazy hazard-filled stage. Also, how exactly is competitive brawl the worst way to tell balance? The tier list takes each character, and ranks them based on how well they do in certain matchups, how well their moveset plays out, how well they place in tourneys,etc. The only reason I attacked your claim of "Brawl is more balanced than Melee" is because it was completely false. Tell me, how are you going to know balance better than say a regular tourney goer? They know the game much better than you do, and have most likely played a lot longer as well, possibly competitively and casually. Some have memorized frame data, and practically know the game inside-out. Once again, I wasn't stating that you were playing the game the wrong way, I was just stating that you cannot determine which game is more balanced by playing the way you play. By playing both Melee and Brawl with items, how are you saying which game is more balanced? Items are random, how do they affect your claim of balance at all? Once again, I was only attacking your claim of Melee being less balanced than Brawl, nothing else.

As for your tier list argument, yes, speed is a big factor in a game like smash, but even you stated yourself that it isn't the only factor to have. Snake, D3, and DK all do great in Brawl. Ganondorf was also a great slow character to play as in Melee. The tier list obviously does not address all areas of the game, it only pertains to 1 vs. 1 tourney matches. The tier list states how well a character will do in a 1 vs. 1 stock match on a neutral stage, utilizing his or her moveset to its greatest potential. However, it provides much more than what I had just said, which I explained earlier. They are playing their way with 1 vs. 1 stock matches with no items, you can play yours.

I was only bashing the concept of you acting like you know more about this game than any competitive player does, they know the game very well. Tell me, a person who has played the game and is much more experienced than you in the game would probably know more about it, don't you think? Tourney players do not have a case of tunnel vision, they know the game very well and then create logical statements about the game, such as the tier list. In my whole post, I was arguing one thing, and that was your claim of Melee being less balanced. I also like how you call me a drone because my argument was supported by the fact that competitive play is the right way to play. That wasn't my argument, my argument was that competitive players know best when it comes to balance, so they would know much more than you about which game is more balanced and which characters are cheap.

Also, please don't tell me that you just said removing competition from Brawl was a good thing. Please NEVER design games, LMAO. Competitive players never wanted Sakurai to remove items altogether and make a list of 41 neutral stages. They just wanted the competition aspect to remain intact along with all the casual aspects of it such as items. Items can be turned off, so why would it matter if he included them or not? Basically, a casual player rarely notices the physics engine for the game, and rarely do they ever complain about the game being to competitive or whatever. Really, Brawl+ would be a game that all smash fans would be happy with. Competitives have their physics upgrade for fast paced, intense, comboish, skill reliant gameplay, while the casuals can still have their FFA's and item matches. A competitive player would disagree with your statement of "Link's broken!", wouldn't they? Competitive players are much more knowledgable about the characters and can effectively say which are best in a TOURNEY ENVIROMENT, nothing else. They have accurate frame data as well as experience with skilled players to state which characters are "cheap" or not. Calling Ike and Lucas "cheap" just shows that you don't know anything about competitive play. Competitive players analyze their movesets and claim that Ike and Lucas aren't cheap, so who's the one to believe?

Oh, and for god's sake, why are you taking this so seriously? It's an Internet argument, LMAO.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I bet you guys that if they balance out the game, it would really suck. I just have a feeling that it'll suck.
I kinda see what you mean. People are getting so used to the roster being unbalanced now. If that was remedied, it just wouldn't be the same.

Heck, just look at the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions of Marvel Vs. Capcom 2. Aside a graphical filter, wi-fi and everyone being readily available, everything is left exactly as it was in the other versions (specifically, arcade and Dreamcast), including the unbalanced roster. People wouldn't have it any other way (or so I assume).

In other words, when people eventually get used to something for so long, any changes done to it can be rather jarring and off-putting to them.

Let's face it, it just wouldn't be as fun that way (although balance does help).

Oh, and for god's sake, why are you taking this so seriously? It's an Internet argument, LMAO.
Which is the worst kind of argument there is. :(

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Kinda defeats the purpose of having a new game then, don't you think?
Perhaps. But still, fanbases can be unpleasable (and how). They expect everything in a game to be absolutely balanced, perfect, getting a good treatment, respected and remedied.

Then, BOOM! Something in the game displeases them.

There is a reason why game sequels were invented. Everything that displeased the fans in the first one gets fixed.

For example, the upcoming No More Heroes: Desperate Struggle will provide changes to fix some glaring issues that people complained about in the first one, which include:

-The graphics getting an upgrade (naturally)
-The size of Santa Destroy (it was too big)
-The enemies' AI getting more sophisticated (e.g. gang-up tactics) and the varieties of their appearances (going from "all looking the same" to enemies with different looks and body builds)
-The fee for the ranking battles being lowered
-The job side missions being changed from tedious to fun (by changing the graphics, for starters)
-The assassination missions getting tied into the story
-Lower charge time for charge attacks (presumably)
-The variety of music being increased (less notable, but still an example)

On top of all of that, there will be more of everything (boss battles, beam katanas, wrestling moves, you name it). That, and the ability to play different characters at certain intervals (case in point, Shinobu).

One natural thing that fans of games expect is new features and more of everything in the sequels, since games are often cited to be "too short" for them these days (another perceived flaw).

People naturally expect sequels, partly so that the experience that they had in previous games can be less frustrating and more fun.

But hey, what can I say? Not everyone can be pleased all the time.

mariorocks64

Smash Journeyman
competitive play is a type a match that only relies on your skill or the character you choose. no extra advantages, or extra disadvantages. it really does help find out character balance, and thus, tiers were born.

in casual play or random play, you have to take an advantage of surroundings that can happen anytime. items can still be played competitively if you use them right. and the stages and items add more flavor into fighting to keep the odds of who wins a match more unpredictable.

it is best to play both ways to find out how equal competitive play and random play are alike in their own way. characters don't need to be balanced to make a fun fight.

when someone kills 3 lvl 9 metaknights at once with jigglypuff. this will prove that tiers don't matter.

Mario says "tiers R 4 queers"

bowser isn't top tiered, but I still like using him. don't let tiers stop you from using certain characters

why complain that metaknight and snake are cheap if you can still pwn them? they are still like every other characters.

in melee, master hand is the highest in the tier list if you play a stock match against him in vs mode. master hand should be playable in SSB4. melee set a good example of what he would be like. he would just have higher stamina in vs mode than 1p mode. and master hand won't be playable in 1P mode. he would be an unlockable character.

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
Well look at the transition from Melee to Brawl. That was a HUGE transition. And Brawl proved to be worse than its predecessor.
Worse for competitive players who make up a very, very small portion of the fanbase. Sales, reception, and general content-wise, Brawl is superior.

And yeah, you can't please everyone, that's a universal truth. Sakurai talks about that all the time. Imagine if he took all the suggestions from people in this thread, it'd be an abomination.

I hope people aren't assuming everything "wrong" with Brawl will be "fixed" in the next game and that'll be that, lest they be horribly disappointed (again). Good sequels don't patch the previous game, they distinguish themselves with bold and fresh new content.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I hope people aren't assuming everything "wrong" with Brawl will be "fixed" in the next game and that'll be that, lest they be horribly disappointed (again). Good sequels don't patch the previous game, they distinguish themselves with bold and fresh new content.
Well, that is certainly true. The PS1's original Crash Bandicoot trilogy is a good example of this, as well as Crash Twinsanity (buggy and rushed as that one was, it was still good and had some interesting new features).

No More Heroes: Desperate Struggle, the game that I used as an example, will have some new features among everything getting an upgrade, including switching between beam katanas on the fly and the ability to play as other characters in certain parts of the story (as I mentioned earlier).

Sakurai did say that simply adding characters won't justify him making the next sequel for Smash, so I assume that he may want to add some interesting new features that haven't been thought up yet.

Paper Mario Master

Smash Ace
Sooooo, Should SSB4 have more "new" stuff or mixtures of Melee and Brawl or improvements on everything and "new" stuff?

Though I can't think of much they can add unless they're bringing something back (BtP RttF) or adding new properties to old stuff i.e. "better stage builder". Most people when they say that mean adding new parts like water and fire and improving it all together

mariorocks64

Smash Journeyman
Well, that is certainly true. The PS1's original Crash Bandicoot trilogy is a good example of this, as well as Crash Twinsanity (buggy and rushed as that one was, it was still good and had some interesting new features).

Sakurai did say that simply adding characters won't justify making him the next sequel for Smash, so I assume that he may want to add some interesting new features that haven't been thought up yet.
what ideas could he think of?

8 player mode on wifi
royal rumble
stage play
playable miis
a map
size change and gravity in training mode
D/P female trainer playable
underwater stage
super mario galaxy stage
3D movement mode.
greater camera access
a lance using character
a story mode that involves the real world.
two masks that assist master hand and crazy hand. creative mask and chaos mask
paper mario stage
a race mode in smash
capture the flag
king of the hill

what else could sakurai think of for smash 4?
did anyone think of the lyrics for SSB4's theme?

Paper Mario Master

Smash Ace

8 player mode on wifi I like this it could work
royal rumble explain
stage play once again explain
playable miis sure why not?
a map I don't get it...you mean like the map in SSE?
size change and gravity in training mode Yes
D/P female trainer playable no not D/P I say HG/SS but lets not argue about that
underwater stage would be awesome and fun, also able to make underwater stages or at least dive in water in stage builder
super mario galaxy stage awesome
3D movement mode. I had an idea like it and there'd be 3-D stages only for this mode (maybe) and it could work
greater camera access
a lance using character I agree but let's not go off on this
a story mode that involves the real world. no it should not involve the real world only each world of the characters that gets tied together
two masks that assist master hand and crazy hand. creative mask and chaos mask meh I don't think it would be that great
paper mario stage yes (w/ PM as a PC)
a race mode in smash explain
capture the flag
king of the hill

what else could sakurai think of for smash 4?
did anyone think of the lyrics for SSB4's theme?
Comments in bold....and let's not try to come up w/ a song

.WC.

Smash Journeyman

8 player mode on wifi Too messy
royal rumble Elaborate
stage play Same
playable miis Mii's (your own) should only be able to be used as training partners or sparring partners in the WiFi waiting room (instead of the sandbag).
a map Okay?
size change and gravity in training mode Good
D/P female trainer playable I would like this, but it's unlikely. And yes, HG/SS would be better
underwater stage Wouldn't work, really. Everything would have to be slowed exponentially. Water in stage builder would be good
super mario galaxy stage That would be good
3D movement mode. Brawl's story mode should be 3D
greater camera access Hacks for that
a lance using character Erm...wut
a story mode that involves the real world. WRONG
two masks that assist master hand and crazy hand. creative mask and chaos mask Interesting concept
paper mario stage Shy Guy Toybox, hands down.
a race mode in smash Board the platforms pl0x
capture the flag No
king of the hill No
Read the bold.

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
Sooooo, Should SSB4 have more "new" stuff or mixtures of Melee and Brawl or improvements on everything and "new" stuff?
There's a delicate balance of new and old that has to be achieved.

- If it's too similar to the previous game, then it's just a $50 patch for Brawl.
- If it's too different from the previous game, then it doesn't feel like Smash Bros.

Finding that balance is very difficult, something a lot of people aren't aware of. Sakurai quit HAL specifically over how people just expected a sequel to pretty much write itself. It's not something to be taken lightly.

Anyway, we don't have to worry about any of that because we're not making the game ourselves. We can just talk about stuff we love and hate and everything will still work out.

Just have faith...

mariorocks64

Smash Journeyman
Comments in bold....and let's not try to come up w/ a song
in royal rumble, you choose a character, and fight 40 characters in 3 stages. the moon, the forest, and the wastelands.

when a character is koed, another character arrives. the last man standing wins. royal rumble can be played in team battle.

in stage play, you play as the stage features while computers fight. the split screen happens when 1 player is doing stage play, while another player plays a match

luigi's mansion: you play as a boo and fly around to possess other characters.

mario circuit. select any character in the mario kart series. and you race in the circuit. you can runover characters while racing.

port twon aero dive: same as mario kart, except you choose F-zero characters.

green hill zone: play as a character from the sonic series and run around in green hill zone without bothering the players.

halberd: fly anywhere you want. even to kirby stages and aslo blow up other stage that were unselected. and you can take down foes that are ontop of you.

lylat cruise: fly anyone and you could get in the middle of the sarfox fight to let lasers hit characters.

spear pillar: you can play as dialga, palkia, or cresselia. and you attempt to attack the characters.

paper mario stage: play as a fan in the aduience. move around in the crowd and you could throw garbage at the characters. or you can throw good stuff. you can even get on the stage and start the other effects like smoke, or falling spotlights.

stage play could be played in vs and wifi.

its race to the finish. a very long obstacle course where you compette with an opponent to get to the finish first. this can be play in 1p mode, and wifi.

WheelOfFish

Smash Journeyman
Worse for competitive players who make up a very, very small portion of the fanbase. Sales, reception, and general content-wise, Brawl is superior.
This assumes that only the competitive players like Melee better. Brawl has superior graphics, content, stages, sales and reception, but many people (not just competitive players) don't feel that these things make up for the shallow gameplay. Brawl felt like a step down because it was TOO casual of a game and completely derailed from where N64 and Melee had left off.

Hopefully Sakurai can take a hint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom