• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
dear lord i hope not. im totally against putting in characters for the reason of "just because" or because its a "classic character" i only want to see new faces that will offer something new as far as gameplay goes.

Oh no you didn't read what I said in that big post. I explained a bit why I would think Birdo would be good but I can reiterate.

Birdo would have a very unique playing style. Since she could shoot eggs out of her snout. She could also derive some attacks from Yoshi. Her ginormous bow could be manipulated as some sort of boomerang projectile type thing. Birdo would be a like a stronger more well balanced Yoshi. Also her character is quirky as one of the only Female villains and NO I AM NOT STARTING THE MORE FEMALES BATTLE. Birdo also could have some of the items from games she has come from like the sports games. Plus she has been a noteworthy character in the Mario series. Especially from the earlier era of the games. I think it would not count as a new Mario character but as a new Yoshi character since the two are always combined even though they have never been in a game together at all.

So I hope I explained I did not mean "just because" or because its a "classic characte" :3

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
dont we already have a character that uses sport instruments as weapons? ahem peach. i dont know about birdo still.....if anything she will just be a quirky character to me like rob

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
true enough. And your right about Peach she does rep the sport games with her sideways smash. Yea but eh I just think Birdo would be a fun character to play with and maybe as a main >_> xD

ulises3000

Smash Ace
NNID
Ulises3000
3DS FC
1951-1622-8058
Switch FC
SW-4892-0521-2326
Yes I know they would Scale Him down and Probably be a fun Person To Play as.All I'm saying is that after making him as a Boss It would be kinda weird just making him in Character to play as instead of a boss.And I wouldn't like both as a boss and Person(Well Dragon) to play as.Also If and if they were to put Ridely in the Game as a Character to play as that would kinda of well Break to Boss Fight in Brawl.One second he is A Big Dragon With Immense Attacks and the next thing you know he Is A Smaller Dragon With a lot less powerful attacks.If they do make him I won't be surprised.I'm just saying It would be a little Broken.

Also to the Birdo-I just think It's kind of funny having Birdo as a playable character.I mean it just would be hard for attacks.Charge up Egg and Fire Ball.Those are the only things I could think of when Birdo was in SMB2.Also can you pick up the eggs like in Mario???Would be a crazy Character Design.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
@ twiz

there is truth in what you say. after all, we don't want the roster to be full of D- Calss nintendo Characters just to add new people(see: Mario Kart Wii for example.)

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
@vaati: exactly. Why flood the roster with more characters that people rarely use? What I'd like to see is more characters brought to light that have been forgotten over the years or characters and franchises that got their start on Nintendo (excpet lame ones). Characters that are unique and could bring variety as far as movesets go........no more clones!!!

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Well, the way Melee did combos, to me, was like an odd mix of 2D and 3D fighters. The way Kilik and others tend to combo attacks is usually in flowing manner. I believe this is what you meant by combos and comparing them to Smash's.

2D fighters link off different attacks, but some moves are done exclusively from one attack (ie. Rufus' Messiah Kick mixups and El Fuerte's Habanero Dash mixups).

Smash's combos, at least Pre-Brawl, are somewhere in between. The juggling prominence (present in both genres) is there due to the K.O. system for the most part. However, very few attacks, if any outside of built in ones, naturally flow into each other.

As a result, Krystal could fight like a mix of Kilik and Litchi-Faye Ling from BlazBlue because of this combo hybrid system.
BlazBlu fights the way the others do, in forced combat, there's not way to really lead away from the attacks in the free roam esque movement of Smash. And I meant that 3-d Fighters are able to move into the background (Killik has many wide spread arcs or sidestep smash attacks) which would not work in Smash physics. And the only juggling is repetitive use of the same or another attack with no direct link. Blaz blue uses combo in the form button strings (like other fighters, no?

Krystal's combos would be numerous smashes with the range of Ike's Fair with more speed. i don't see how you can use a staff, fix the range, and make her a true-to-character figher.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Oh no you didn't read what I said in that big post. I explained a bit why I would think Birdo would be good but I can reiterate.

Birdo would have a very unique playing style. Since she could shoot eggs out of her snout. She could also derive some attacks from Yoshi. Her ginormous bow could be manipulated as some sort of boomerang projectile type thing. Birdo would be a like a stronger more well balanced Yoshi. Also her character is quirky as one of the only Female villains and NO I AM NOT STARTING THE MORE FEMALES BATTLE. Birdo also could have some of the items from games she has come from like the sports games. Plus she has been a noteworthy character in the Mario series. Especially from the earlier era of the games. I think it would not count as a new Mario character but as a new Yoshi character since the two are always combined even though they have never been in a game together at all.

So I hope I explained I did not mean "just because" or because its a "classic characte" :3
Birdo's a guy.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
If you mean juggling, then Smash isn't a huggler in the same way that Soul Calibu or Tekken are (You know that) so comparing the way Killik fights and Krystal would fight are different and isn;t a just comparison. Although I'm not sure what you meant here, if I'm wrong eloborate?

But Ike and DDD are heavyweights and ZSS only uses fully extended plasma whip in a few attacks.
I thought Marth's Forward B was combo set within itself. But Kilik is different from other SC characters because he has a staff and SC doesn't have any difference (like cutting and slashing) like you made earlier.

Krystal would be more like any staff fighter. She can grip the middle of the staff to use both ends to perform quick and rapid moves to sacrifice range, or she can reach to the far end like a spear for long range but slower attacks. Then tecniques like the pole vault kick I mention earlier would be something no swordsman could do.

If you want to go extreme then you can look at Super Mario Z Ep 5 scene 4 to see the extreme version of 2D staff fighting.

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/363800

As for Birdo

First off yes Birdo is consider the first transexual character (If he/she was a girl then why are they all female). But Birdo does have some promise to be an interesting character especially the egg shot technique (which can shoot a random fireball). The only bad thing would be is that he/she could be a yoshi clone sind all of yoshi's moves would work very well with him/her. That's my only concern.

I still rather see Toad in if any mario character should get in.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
BlazBlu fights the way the others do, in forced combat, there's not way to really lead away from the attacks in the free roam esque movement of Smash. And I meant that 3-d Fighters are able to move into the background (Killik has many wide spread arcs or sidestep smash attacks) which would not work in Smash physics. And the only juggling is repetitive use of the same or another attack with no direct link. Blaz blue uses combo in the form button strings (like other fighters, no?
I'm not quite understanding that first sentence. Care to clarify?

I agree that the attacks Kilik has would not be the same if they were placed in Smash's 2D environment, but that goes without saying.

BB uses combos like you said along with specials. Smash is no different in this aspect.

Krystal's combos would be numerous smashes with the range of Ike's Fair with more speed. i don't see how you can use a staff, fix the range, and make her a true-to-character figher.
I'm just wandering, but have you ever played Starfox Adventures? Playing that would tell you that sword != staff.

In regards to Birdo, I think she'd work best as an Assist Trophy.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
@Master Rapier
I'm not saying that She wouldn't have attacks, I'm saying they would be broken attacks or copired attacks. The spinning with two hands is Pit's Side B, the vault would be a generic go forward side B, and with smash mechanics an extraordinarily boring move (Killik uses it to enter into combos or close the gap in a fight). Reaching o the far end but sacraficing speed doesn't make sense because a staff weilder (or Krystal at that) would not be moving slowly for any logical reason.

@Kuma
I meant that in regular fighters (BB included) It's you against your opponent and you must fight your opponent, you can move away, or towards (in some cases circle) your opponents, but it's always in regards to you and your opponent. In smash you can wherever way you want, whenever you want. I played adventures a while back, and I vaguely remember Fox smashing down, like Marth's Melee B (except a staff would do this with an even more broken range), what did they do that made is vastly different that could be incorporated into smash? Either way the range of a staff, and speed of Krystal would not be an easy character to make.

And just as a side note for the BB character, she did have an awful lo of staff moves involving the staff floating away or falling, I didn;t see too many moves that Krystal could copy besides.

The only way I can see it done, is if her attacks had zero priority(which I believe would be the first low priority disjointd hitbox [if thats doable]) and kill her recovery.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
@ Pandero: Speed isn't something that would be needed to be sacrificed Pandero. It can be power. Honestly, they could probably make some of the stronger attacks come out slow enough. You're really not that creative when it comes to thinking of how things will be balanced. =/

@ Rapier: Not all of Yoshi's attacks would work, most notably the grab and the neutral B. That being said, s/he isn't popular enough to really be considered.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
@ Pandero: Speed isn't something that would be needed to be sacrificed Pandero. It can be power. Honestly, they could probably make some of the stronger attacks come out slow enough. You're really not that creative when it comes to thinking of how things will be balanced. =/
I gotta agree with this. You could balance her where she's a lightweight, average power, above average speed, and reasonable recovery on her poking moves (long range moves). Make her too weak and even combos aren't that much help. The recovery on her pokes would be so she can't poke with it being safe on block.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Birdo has the makings of an assist trophy.......nothing more. The eggs that it shoots could be caught in mid air for energy or a projectile to throw and if you miss it you get hit or something. Other than that i dont see heshe as a solid canidate for ssb4....sorry

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
@Master Rapier
I'm not saying that She wouldn't have attacks, I'm saying they would be broken attacks or copired attacks. The spinning with two hands is Pit's Side B, the vault would be a generic go forward side B, and with smash mechanics an extraordinarily boring move (Killik uses it to enter into combos or close the gap in a fight). Reaching o the far end but sacraficing speed doesn't make sense because a staff weilder (or Krystal at that) would not be moving slowly for any logical reason.
Pit's side B would look ******** with a staff, and I was talking about her A moves. Her B would be based off of the special moves in Starfox Adventures (crystal shot B, Rocket jump Up B, Earthquake Down B, and ice blast forewards B). It was an idea about giving Fox the staff in Melee because of Starfox Adventures but it was scrapped.

If you had looked at the vids I posted you would notice that they had quick short moves (figure 8, jousting strikes, etc.) but when they use longer attacks they were slower (rising snake, jumping downward strike, sweeps).

A Sample of her A moves

A Combo: downward his with her staff, then back end swings around for a horizontal hit, then take the other end to an upward swing.

Foreward A: Cue Shot where she thrust it forward like pool cue for a quick jab.

Smash A: steps back in a back stance with her staff up (think Link's Giant's knife charge pose) with a swing around horizontally holding the end.

Running A: Pole vault kick.

@Pieman
True they would have to modify that but her neutral B would be her eggshot and her grab wouldn't have range.

I would be happy to see Birdo as an Assist Trophey where she fires a series of eggs that can be jump on and grabbed but she will shoot random fireballs too. Kinda like what she did in the Mario 2 Stage in Melee (but better graphics)

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero

@ Rapier: Not all of Yoshi's attacks would work, most notably the grab and the neutral B. That being said, s/he isn't popular enough to really be considered.
I gotta agree with this. You could balance her where she's a lightweight, average power, above average speed, and reasonable recovery on her poking moves (long range moves). Make her too weak and even combos aren't that much help. The recovery on her pokes would be so she can't poke with it being safe on block.
So now she has god range and speed? It wouldn't matter if she didn't have power. Metaknight doesn;t have power, but he's broken because he has crazy speed and lag (well this and his insanse recovery and stalling). Substitute god range for lag and we have an over-powered character. It wouldn't matter how much damage she does, because she could run/stall attack from afar and continue stalling this way.

Sorry I'm unoriginal >.>

Pit's side B would look ******** with a staff, and I was talking about her A moves. Her B would be based off of the special moves in Starfox Adventures (crystal shot B, Rocket jump Up B, Earthquake Down B, and ice blast forewards B). It was an idea about giving Fox the staff in Melee because of Starfox Adventures but it was scrapped.

If you had looked at the vids I posted you would notice that they had quick short moves (figure 8, jousting strikes, etc.) but when they use longer attacks they were slower (rising snake, jumping downward strike, sweeps).

A Sample of her A moves

A Combo: downward his with her staff, then back end swings around for a horizontal hit, then take the other end to an upward swing.

Foreward A: Cue Shot where she thrust it forward like pool cue for a quick jab.

Smash A: steps back in a back stance with her staff up (think Link's Giant's knife charge pose) with a swing around horizontally holding the end.

Running A: Pole vault kick.

@Pieman
True they would have to modify that but her neutral B would be her eggshot and her grab wouldn't have range.

I would be happy to see Birdo as an Assist Trophey where she fires a series of eggs that can be jump on and grabbed but she will shoot random fireballs too.
Forward A are the moves I'm talking about. Long distant pokes are broken, plain and simple. A vault kick would cover too much distance for a realistic dash attack (although I havenn't layed in a while, maybe it wouldn't compared to some other dash attacks >.>). her forward smash would cover too much area (again).

Andi watched the video, and I can see some of those moves being in (I'm not here saying every move she uses will be vastly overpowered, but in smash it only takes a handful of broken moves to corrupt a character, [down throws, foward airs, etc.]).

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
So now she has god range and speed? It wouldn't matter if she didn't have power. Metaknight doesn;t have power, but he's broken because he has crazy speed and lag (well this and his insanse recovery and stalling). Substitute god range for lag and we have an over-powered character. It wouldn't matter how much damage she does, because she could run/stall attack from afar and continue stalling this way.

Sorry I'm unoriginal >.>
Don't forget that Meta Knight, for God knows what reason, has transcendent priority on all of his attacks and that he's so good because of his insane recovery and stalling options. I can't think of a way Krystal could have that same recovery and options. You're also overestimating the power of these pokes. They can easily be blocked and sidestepped and you can't camp with them either like projectiles.

Andi watched the video, and I can see some of those moves being in (I'm not here saying every move she uses will be vastly overpowered, but in smash it only takes a handful of broken moves to corrupt a character, [down throws, foward airs, etc.]).
That's mostly due to poor balancing and no counters to these moves. You put in tech grabs and chain grabs lose a lot of their power.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
That's mostly due to poor balancing and no counters to these moves. You put in tech grabs and chain grabs lose a lot of their power.
excellent point kuma, only a n00b wouldn't dodge the "broken" poke. you can see it a mile away. clearly people just don't want her in cause they are sexist... (n.not really, NOT IN THE FACE!!! ow my groin*T_T) anyways... just thinking about it isn't getting you people anywhere... any and i mean ANY character can be playable. balloon fighter can be playable...wouldn't recommend it...dr. wright can be playable... wouldn't recommend it, oh... starfy i am against did you see how small it is in brawl?! sure you can resize him/it i guess that solves EVERYTHING!!! (translate the last sentence in your head as a mocking voice)

anyways again, I'm thinking of something very far'fetched... one of the bosses transforms the sizes of the combatants... ridley gets caught by accident and turns on the mini laser shooter whoever that may be, thus becomes playable against the main villain, NME who also controls master hand and crazy hand... in the very end you fight zero two http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOVzFJPVrDs
(i listen to this song all day while in college working on my illustrations)

edit... and like usual hit his eye and blood drips

Pieman0920

Smash Master
New screens and trailers and what nots for a bunch of games came out today. SMG2 specifically, though its main characters are all represented in Smash anyways. (Well Bowser Jr. isn't and he's showing up again, so I guess that may strengthen his possible inclusion) Nice looking areas for new levels. Perhaps a level on that giant worm dragon....

Anyways, Other M has some more things, but I'm not sure how much is out just yet.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
They're going to be playing Other M tonight. I'd like to see, perhaps, that some of the moves from that game are put in SSB4. Heck, Yoshi could have similar range in his grab seen in Galaxy.

Anyway, I'm glad SSB4 was not shown, and that's assuming they're working on it.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
They still need to get a portable Smash done...though that may be in line for the next handheld.

In any case, I don't think they specifically annonced any new big first party titles. Not even stuff on Zelda Wii. One thinks that it will be saved for E3. Same goes for any pottential new Smash (though I think its a bit early for that now isn't it. Maybe in a year or two)

But thinking about all the new moves Samus and Yoshi will have, I can't help wonder if any of them will ever be put into Smash, since Smash fans generally don't seem to like change all that much. Still, perhaps if the mechanics were revamped (like say add in a new button) things could be possible.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
But thinking about all the new moves Samus and Yoshi will have, I can't help wonder if any of them will ever be put into Smash, since Smash fans generally don't seem to like change all that much. Still, perhaps if the mechanics were revamped (like say add in a new button) things could be possible.
I despise this so much that it's insane. I can't stand this stupid conservatism a lot of the fanbase has. It reminds me of people saying a Super Meter being added would not be Smash or some stupid BS.

Just for Samus, you could let her aim missles at angles based on Side B (assuming it's programmed to allow this), and giving her a fakeout option. Of course, you've seen me mention this before. Likewise, give Yoshi longer range in his grab and B, let him jump out of his shield, give him an Up B where he can aim his eggs, and make his grab a tether.

I don't think another button is really necessary. We already have difficulty coming up with movesets for characters to begin with. The only thing I can think of is a Final Smash button. The A button already has 17 moves (these include ledge attacks and wakeups) which is far more than other fighters have assigned to one button. I can just imagine the work just in making the moves would be for another normal button.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I just got this idea and I don't think they would do this but it's very possible.

1. They remove Ike because he was represented of the new FE (like Roy was in Melee) but it now old news.

2. They take Ganondorf and give him Ike's moves and abilities. Both are slow, powerful, and Ganondorf always has a sword but never uses it.

3. They take Ganondorf's moveset and place it for Black Shadow. They wouldn't even have to change the effect (Not even him climbing out of a portal).

Not saying I like this because I do not like Black Shadow and I believe Ganondorf should have his own moveset. The Idea Ike would be gone would be for the same reason Lucario would be gone. Ike "Prepare yourself. For my exit."

Pieman0920

Smash Master
I despise this so much that it's insane. I can't stand this stupid conservatism a lot of the fanbase has. It reminds me of people saying a Super Meter being added would not be Smash or some stupid BS.

Just for Samus, you could let her aim missles at angles based on Side B (assuming it's programmed to allow this), and giving her a fakeout option. Of course, you've seen me mention this before. Likewise, give Yoshi longer range in his grab and B, let him jump out of his shield, give him an Up B where he can aim his eggs, and make his grab a tether.

I don't think another button is really necessary. We already have difficulty coming up with movesets for characters to begin with. The only thing I can think of is a Final Smash button. The A button already has 17 moves (these include ledge attacks and wakeups) which is far more than other fighters have assigned to one button. I can just imagine the work just in making the moves would be for another normal button.
Well I'm not expert on the side of game mechanics, but the way Blazblue does things has me thinking that perhaps a third attack button could have a unique skill that each Smash character has. For instance there's the only idea of Toon Link being able to control wind direction. Another idea could that for Samus, as long as said button was held, whenever she moved she'd charge of the speed booster (yes even if she changes directions) and the more she runs around, the more charged it gets until Samus starts breaking out in that glowy run of hers, and can be used sort of like the egg roll or rollout abilities. If she presses down though, she'd store up the power like she does in the game, and tapping the button again, along with a direction, would send her flying. This could be balanced somewhat with her losing the running charge if hit while trying to charge it up, just like the charge shot itself.

Then again, I'm just throwing out that idea without too much thought to how it would be completely balanced. :psycho:

Also that's a horrible idea MR. Ganon wouldn't be poorly represented by that moveset as well.

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
I agree with Pieman on the Ganondorf thing. I find Ganondorf a bit uncreative and needs a serious remake. All he is is a heavy, more powerful CF. He needs to get some moves from his boss battles from Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess. Basically all he got changed for him in Brawl was his change to his Twilight Princess clothes. If Ike were to be taken out then there would be another character being put in. So saying Ike being taken out starts the entire argument of bringing Roy back in. Or Lyn. If they take out Ike I am putting my bet Lyn will be put in.

Birdo being a assist trophy would be cool and at least she would get in. A cool thing about Birdo though would be her snout. If she was an assist trophy this is what I would she would do (hopefully):

She would do one of two things: 1) she would suck in the foes with a huge vacuum like process then shoot them out with like a fire or egg barrage. 2) or she would just shoot Fire and Eggs while hopping around

Plus I have to go with Kuma. Of course they are gonna put in Samus's and Yoshi's new moves. Yes some of the Smash fans might go nutso about it but with improvements comes better gameplay. Plus the true fans would like the changes. Me, I am an absolute Yoshi addict. He is my fav nintendo character and I just cannot wait to see what improvements they will make to the already greatly well balanced fighter.

Now I see Bowser Jr. was brought back into the conversation. Whomever said it would be right that Krystal and Bowser Jr. would both have a staff like object was right and to the fact of Krystals staff is a bit eh. I beat the game and loved Starfox Adventures for the nintendo gamecube. Now it's kindof funny cuz Fox used the staff the entire game although it was Krystal's. Anyways that is besides the point Krystal would be a skilled fighter plus her Smash Ball move would be (if they still keep smash balls) her riding her pet Pterrodactyl(sp) which would shoot fireballs or she would get a spirit in her body and she would be super powerful like Wario's smash attack. Krystal's staff is somewhat like a sword though a staff is it's own weapon in general. With a staff there would be better combos the a sword for the ground. Krystal's staff has a pointed end like a sword but sword does not = staff. Staff would be its own weapon.

Bowser Jr. is for another post. Cuz this will have enough for people to chew on.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
@Pieman

I'm feeling this third attack button thing. Perhaps one of the unused shoulder buttons?

@Ganondorf conversation

You all know my stance so to avoid sounding redundant, I will voice it in short points

1. Ganon hardly ever used Sword, most used weapon: Trident

2. Moveset is fine: evil, malicious, destructive

3. Believe it or not, Ganondorf is physically fit, he can do what he does, it's not outrageous.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Possibly, but that's only if they continue to use a GCN controller. Remember, they can't use it forever, and odds are they won't have it next time. And I'd also be hesitant to say that an attack button is what I have in mind. In Toon Link's case, it would modify existing attacks and other things, and it would simply be controlling the wind in whatever direction. For the most part with the Samus idea, its not an attack until fully charged. Of course it could be used for attacks in certain characters (like say the Ice Climbers, where it could cause the CPU controlled IC to go out and do its own attack depending on the directional input, but only that one attack until it returns. This could be balanced out of course in the fact that it can only do that one attack while away, and it will take some time to get back in position with the human controlled IC, as well as the fact that the human controlled IC will lose a bit of power and recovery as long as the other IC is not there.)

Oh yes, and in regards to Ganondorf, the one thing I still want him to have is the reflect ball. Thus taking Ike's moveset completely would be dissapointing to me.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
So Nintendo will be publishing Dragon Quest IX. And no one believes me when I say Slime has a decent chance of crossing over... >_>

I just need to articulate my position into one very long wall of text and leave it. Referencing back to it whenever anyone argues with me. lol

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Theoretically that may not help Slime's chances, but rather the main hero of DQIX instead. If the project turns out to be sucessful, as well as being strongly linked with Nintendo, I think it may be a distinct possibility, given that Slime isn't really the most able bodies of fighters.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Theoretically that may not help Slime's chances, but rather the main hero of DQIX instead. If the project turns out to be sucessful, as well as being strongly linked with Nintendo, I think it may be a distinct possibility, given that Slime isn't really the most able bodies of fighters.
Reason I choose Slime is because he/she/it is the icon of the series. Just like when you think "Pokémon" Pikachu comes to mind. Normally something without arms would not be a good fighter, but if you toss in his gelatinous composition (which could make for normal attacks), magical abilities, and his ramming attack; he could be pretty effective. If you are worried about it not being able to grab things, well, play Rocket Slime.

Main reason I believe Slime stands a decent chance is how desperately Square is trying to establish Dragon Quest in the overseas market and how Nintendo is doing the same. Nintendo WANTS for Dragon Quest to become as popular overseas as it is in Japan. The series has/is becoming Nintendo's "Final Fantasy", meaning an RPG series that's main installments will see release on a Nintendo console. Which benefits them as the series can push hardware sales. As for Square their desire is to become one of the top ten companies around the world (their words), they need more than Final Fantasy to carry them their. So naturally they want to tap into the DQ fandom of Japan and emulate it best they can in the West. A future Smash Bros is great advertisement for any series (within Nintendo's allowance). Doesn't hurt that people like the character too...

Solid Snake
Sonic the Hedgehog
Megaman
Slime

Those are the guest characters I can see.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Well I would think that if Nintendo is trying to promote it in the west, then it would better to use the main character of the newest game in their latest Smash Bros. In addition, I don't think you can really deny that wahtever the protagonist is will probably be more popular in general with NA gamers, since NA is generally a bit shy on cutsey characters. And of course there is a fundamental difference in Pikachu and his roll in the Smash series and the Slime's so it may not be the same thing.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Well I would think that if Nintendo is trying to promote it in the west, then it would better to use the main character of the newest game in their latest Smash Bros. In addition, I don't think you can really deny that whatever the protagonist is will probably be more popular in general with NA gamers, since NA is generally a bit shy on cutsey characters. And of course there is a fundamental difference in Pikachu and his roll in the Smash series and the Slime's so it may not be the same thing.
I disagree with you on the first part just considering how no protagonist has really broken through. Slime has been a staple of the series and is one of the first thing plastered on any crossover, even before characters. But we are talking about a wider Western audience here, so their taste will be a little different. Somehow I still think Slime will keep his icon status, even above the heroes themselves.

Really, shy on cutesy characters? Yoshi and Kirby say hello, well more like "Yoooooshii" and "puyo"...

Pokémon is a series with 500+ varying creatures that only receive special status when they appear in a movie or the anime series and Dragon Quest has heroes that vary with every installment. Slime is a constant within every one of series. It is no different than with Chocobo really.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
@Jbandit: I mentioned Bowser Jr.

Also why does everyone keep on mentioning Lyn for a new FE rep? Michaiah is a much better choice than another sword wielder.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
@Pieman

I'm feeling this third attack button thing. Perhaps one of the unused shoulder buttons?

@Ganondorf conversation

You all know my stance so to avoid sounding redundant, I will voice it in short points

1. Ganon hardly ever used Sword, most used weapon: Trident

2. Moveset is fine: evil, malicious, destructive

3. Believe it or not, Ganondorf is physically fit, he can do what he does, it's not outrageous.
You obviously did not get the point of the discussion. It's the fact that Ike (a popular character) will be gone for a the New Gen FE character. Then will get a sucky character like Black Shadow because he fits Ganondorf's moveset better the Ganondorf himself.

I rather see Samurai Goroh then Black Shadow anyday but the fact he could be put in so easilly gives him an edge.

Ganon has used swords more then the trident. Only in Four Swords and Link to the Past does he use the game but he uses Swords in Twilight Princess, Wind Waker, OOT, and if you want to count the Space world Demo (which where his blade came from in Melee). Also he only uses the Trident when he's in his Pig form.

Also if you add Ganon's laugh to Ike's move set you will realize they're just as evil, malicious, and destructive.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
I apologize for not seeing the point of discussing how we should eliminate a perfectly fine character, throw in a non-needed character, and change a completely ok character. I guess I just Ignorant.

Ganon=Ganondrof.

Ganondorf is simply the more human form. No one said that only Ganondorf's recent appearances get in. The Zelda characters are a combination of all preceding forms, not th emost recent. Ganon is Ganondorf and Ganon has used a trident most frequently while only wielding a sword in a handful of games. Get out your fats straight. P.S you say Ganon doesn't count, but he only whips out a blade when he goes Ganon in OOT, if your going to make an argument, know what you talking about. And no, the demo does not count as an appearance.

Ganondorf is an evil wizard. So magic naturally would fit him most than anything else. He is also a physically fit tyrant of evil, so his malicious "black shadow" moveset also fits him. A sword would overshadow his past appearances and isolate him to one area. The moveset he is now embodies all of hit attributes and appearences into a special cohesive moveset that truly represents all of Ganondorf's that have appeared: Evil, sadistic, and powerful. Black Shadow doesn't deserve to be in, and Ganondorf does not need to be changed, your making stupid moveset swaps for the sake of stupid moveset swaps, all the while not having your facts in line.

He uses a trident in 4 games (5 counting a remake)

Uses the sword 4 times coutning katanas and dual wielding.

So they are either even, or trident has one more. Either way the sword (nor the trident should be chosen, magic is the only overlying weapon used)

jmanxiv

Smash Apprentice
Ganon definetely needs a remake and chances are his new model would be based on the new zelda game coming out. I doubt he'll be giving Ike's role.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
I agree that Ganon's old moveset should be subsituted to Black Shadow. I highly doubt they would give him a trident though, due to how lazy they seem to be. They couldn't even give Toon Link, a character that's incredibly easy to make a moveset for, a new moveset. And if it's the TP Ganon he'll most likely come equiped with the sword he stole from the sages.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if he turned up with a landmaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom