• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official: SSBPD unsupported; source code released.

Jeapie

Smash Journeyman
Top 50

Top 50 Players of the world nationality by the Elo ratings:

- 36 Americans
- 4 Dutch
- 4 French
- 3 Swedish
- 2 Canadians
- 1 German

Top 50 players of the world charackter mains by the Elo ratings

10 Fox
7 Marth
7 Falco
6 Sheiks
6 Captain Falcons
3 Peach
3 Jigglypuff
3 Ice climbers
1 Doctor Mario
1 Pikachu
1 Luigi
1 Samus
1 Ganondorf

Yes I was bored

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
Cleared out the backlog. Strangely, some of those Australia tournies were labeled as Brawl teams. Maybe TOs should be aware of that necessity so we don't have to recreate any more brackets than necessary.

Oh yeah, "pepipora 2" needs to be deleted. I fixed it.

remade the POE3 bracket

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Maybe I'm just... as good as you? >_>

<_<

Just kidding, of course. There's no way I'm as good as anyone.

Edit: I've got one point on you. I'm clearly better.

Also, FoxLisk, the search function appears to be a little buggy. Not sure if this has been pointed out before, but even if I type in someone's name with the exact matching characters, the website returns "Sorry, no matches found. Did you mean one of these players?"
This made me think of you! Happy belated birthday ;)

don't do that

GKInfinity

Smash Champion
Is there any particular reason why if you view all players (sorted by rating) that it only numbers the top 50? Other lists (such as listing all of the captain falcon mains) number everyone in the list. Sorry if this has already been answered.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
He lost to M2K twice at Sudden Death IV where he used Falcon lol. Plus the database hasn't rerun its ratings since that tourney was processed I'm assuming so it artificially has moire weight than it should.

Ørn

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, could you do a quick date fix on this tournament? Someone I know uploaded it with the wrong date.

The actual date was January 29th, 2011. If changing the dates is a hassle, then don't worry about it. I was just bothered by it since I hosted it, lol.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Is there any particular reason why if you view all players (sorted by rating) that it only numbers the top 50? Other lists (such as listing all of the captain falcon mains) number everyone in the list. Sorry if this has already been answered.
Because there's not really any practical purpose for it past a certain point. Ratings and rankings aren't the same thing.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
If we had every single set ever Playd, I'd be comfortable saying the top 10 rated players were the ten best in the world. The top 25 would be a little fuzzier but very cclose to accurate. 25-50 would be getting iffy, and the accuracy breaks down the deeper you go. As is, even the top 50 is highly suspect because of how much data were missing, and how lopsided some of it is (e.g we have very few east coast tourneys compared to Midwest ones).

If you really need to know your rank down in the hundreds or thousands, you can find it on your own, but I'm not gonna present that information as if it's something we know with any real confidence.

:phone:

Kal

Smash Champion
Even though I agree about the accuracy of results being off, I see nothing wrong with simply allowing people to view a complete list of players sorted by Elo. It would be especially cool if you allowed some sort of drop down list of options, so we can view top 5, 10, 25, 50, etc.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
You can already view the whole list sorted by elo, they just don't have numbers.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Just pastebin the list if you want a ranking that goes further than 50. Yeah, it's arbitrary, but it's about as far as we care to allow for ease of use on the site at least for now.

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
Just pastebin the list if you want a ranking that goes further than 50. Yeah, it's arbitrary, but it's about as far as we care to allow for ease of use on the site at least for now.
I mean...does it slow down the site changing say 50 to 100? It just seems as though it'd be a quick fix. That's why I'm curious about it.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
There is no functional reason that it's 50 instead of 100. The reasons are ideological.

GKInfinity

Smash Champion
I mean...does it slow down the site changing say 50 to 100? It just seems as though it'd be a quick fix. That's why I'm curious about it.
This exactly. If you're sorting all of them anyway I see no reason why you wouldn't number all of them unless it added extra time to load the page. Even for lower numbers-- Obviously if you're ranked #547 it doesn't mean that you're better than #548, or necessarily that you're better than #647 for that matter. It'd still be nice to have a general idea of where players stand however (without having to copy-paste the list into another document). If you want to emphasize the top 50 players, perhaps just make the the top 50 numbers bold or something?

All I'm saying is that some people would like to see the full list numbered, and if it doesn't hurt anything (i.e the load time for the page), then you might as well.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Theres no behinds-the-scenes ranking... you can just remove the </ol><ul> and change the </ul> to </ol> and you have a fully numbered list.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Hmmm why is there huge plummets for Mango and Dr. Peepee?

Seems like they should be higher. Maybe a mistake in the system?
A lot of those occurrences happen in between reprocessing events. If we add results from the past, they will be rated as if they just occurred. Every few days we re-calculate everything chronologically from the earliest tournament, fixing that problem. The re-calculation takes a few hours though so it's not worth doing all the time.

btw, I still can't get in touch with Zoro about Florida tournaments. He doesn't respond to my PMs. And also, do you know what data there is for Florida tournaments that are pre-2010?

This exactly. If you're sorting all of them anyway I see no reason why you wouldn't number all of them unless it added extra time to load the page. Even for lower numbers-- Obviously if you're ranked #547 it doesn't mean that you're better than #548, or necessarily that you're better than #647 for that matter. It'd still be nice to have a general idea of where players stand however (without having to copy-paste the list into another document). If you want to emphasize the top 50 players, perhaps just make the the top 50 numbers bold or something?

All I'm saying is that some people would like to see the full list numbered, and if it doesn't hurt anything (i.e the load time for the page), then you might as well.
The reason you wouldn't number all of them is because it's meaningless information once you get past the cream of the crop. A rating is exactly what it sounds like: a rating that attempts to represent your skill level numerically. That's really all that should matter. Do you hear chess players saying they are ranked 3000th in the world? No, of course not. They say "I'm rated 1700." It's a much more use useful metric for figuring out your chances of beating someone else.

I know that we can technically rank players based on their ratings, but I think that Smashers need to be weaned off of absolute rankings and focus on more useful information.

baka4moé

Smash Champion
Hey this probably has been answered already but what happens if the same person has name variations? For instance, light entered in last weekend's NYTE tournament that was just entered on ur database, but he entered as "Light_" . This means those that played him got an inaccurate rise/fall in the rating; can this be fixed?

Bones0

Smash Legend
Hey this probably has been answered already but what happens if the same person has name variations? For instance, light entered in last weekend's NYTE tournament that was just entered on ur database, but he entered as "Light_" . This means those that played him got an inaccurate rise/fall in the rating; can this be fixed?
Yes, it's pretty easy to merge players or assign different sets to different players. When the database is recalculated, the amount of points players won or lost will be fixed automatically. Everyone has to help out by flagging incorrect names and cross-checking names before uploading tournaments. If everyone just goes through their player list before uploading tournaments then we can process tournaments MUCH faster.

There is an error when you click NEO's profile.
I didn't get an error. It may have prompted you with a page that listed both a "NEO" and a "Neo", but from there you can just click the correct name. I deleted the second one since it was just an empty tag, so it should take you directly to his page now anyway.

LLDL

Smash Hero
If you can have numbers for the top 50, why not extend it down to 100, 200, or perhaps even more?
Just go to region, and select united states, but leave each individual state unchecked. Then select every other region as well. That will give you a full elo list.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
There is an error when you click NEO's profile.
I did not see this, however when i tried to verify it, there was a ton of lag on the site. The lag cleared up on its own but maybe the error was related (the server timed out or something).

In addition to what bones said, please flag your friends' characters! It's very difficult for us to ascertain who players that only go to small tournaments main, but it's useful information to have!

Bones0

Smash Legend
That's weird. It seems to have something to do with him winning tournaments because all 3 of the points where it dips are tournaments he won, and the next data point is for the same date.

Mango's Elo actually dips on the date for Sudden Death IV like M2K's. I think it may be a result of FoxLisk fixing the tournament date issue where tournaments had two dates back to back even though they were 1-day tournaments.

baka4moé

Smash Champion
so can u guys fix that thing with light? i think theres LIGHT, Light, and Light_ . I dont have the tio file so i cant fix it..

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
There's some bug with Mew2King's Elo graph. It goes up and down like a yo-yo three times in 2011 even though he's not dropping games to randoms.
That's weird. It seems to have something to do with him winning tournaments because all 3 of the points where it dips are tournaments he won, and the next data point is for the same date.

Mango's Elo actually dips on the date for Sudden Death IV like M2K's. I think it may be a result of FoxLisk fixing the tournament date issue where tournaments had two dates back to back even though they were 1-day tournaments.
i dont have any way of knowing this for sure, but my best guess is that those tournaments were entered with mew2king under a different name (like m2k, or jason, or whatever), so the scores were the result of a 1200 rated player, and then they got merged into mew2king.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
so can u guys fix that thing with light? i think theres LIGHT, Light, and Light_ . I dont have the tio file so i cant fix it..
We will. Yesterday the db was running insanely slow and I couldn't pull up those profiles to merge them. I'm at work now but will fix that when I get home this evening. Thanks for letting us know.

Also I'm off for the next two days and I plan to get a lot done on the db. I'll be fixing player names, processing uploads, and downloading files from AiB for Nintendude to process.

hungrybox

Smash Legend
Orlando, FL (walking distance from the Loop)
A lot of those occurrences happen in between reprocessing events. If we add results from the past, they will be rated as if they just occurred. Every few days we re-calculate everything chronologically from the earliest tournament, fixing that problem. The re-calculation takes a few hours though so it's not worth doing all the time.

btw, I still can't get in touch with Zoro about Florida tournaments. He doesn't respond to my PMs. And also, do you know what data there is for Florida tournaments that are pre-2010?

The reason you wouldn't number all of them is because it's meaningless information once you get past the cream of the crop. A rating is exactly what it sounds like: a rating that attempts to represent your skill level numerically. That's really all that should matter. Do you hear chess players saying they are ranked 3000th in the world? No, of course not. They say "I'm rated 1700." It's a much more use useful metric for figuring out your chances of beating someone else.

I know that we can technically rank players based on their ratings, but I think that Smashers need to be weaned off of absolute rankings and focus on more useful information.
Zoro is dumb and won't do it

i don't get it

machinegungeek

Smash Apprentice
I'm a bit late to the party but is there a way to flag sets that aren't you/the player listed? I'm listed going to a tournament I didn't and I'm betting that this is a legit problem for many of us lower ranked pot monsters.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Zoro is dumb and won't do it

i don't get it
He finally came through the uploaded Advent 1, 2, 3, 4, and 7. Not sure what's up with 5, 6, and 8 though.
I'm a bit late to the party but is there a way to flag sets that aren't you/the player listed? I'm listed going to a tournament I didn't and I'm betting that this is a legit problem for many of us lower ranked pot monsters.
There's a way to flag a player but not a set. Let me know what the problem is and I'll fix it.

machinegungeek

Smash Apprentice
A lot of little stuff. Not really worth it. FWIW, I didn't got Smash to the Future last January (wasn't even in the US) and a fellow smasher, Blake, got flagged for going to a random Euro tourney a couple weeks ago. Cause of a common name. Yeah.

Yomi-no-Kuni

Smash Lord
Since i guess it was forgotten, i'll post again

in the tournament "Berlin Calling" the players Jon_*** and Phex did not participate but have been given 5 losses for their poolmatches (which they did not play) because the host did not bother/forgot to remove them.

This really demotivates those players concerning ssbpd

It would be nice if it could be fixed (i dont know if you forgot/can't do it/ or anything, just wanted to remind you. If its still on your screen just disregard this post)

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Since i guess it was forgotten, i'll post again

in the tournament "Berlin Calling" the players Jon_*** and Phex did not participate but have been given 5 losses for their poolmatches (which they did not play) because the host did not bother/forgot to remove them.

This really demotivates those players concerning ssbpd

It would be nice if it could be fixed (i dont know if you forgot/can't do it/ or anything, just wanted to remind you. If its still on your screen just disregard this post)
I fixed it in the tio file but FoxLisk needs to delete the old one first.

A lot of little stuff. Not really worth it. FWIW, I didn't got Smash to the Future last January (wasn't even in the US) and a fellow smasher, Blake, got flagged for going to a random Euro tourney a couple weeks ago. Cause of a common name. Yeah.
I'll fix it but I need your tag on ssbpd. I already fixed Blake by renaming him to Blake (MI) and transferring the appropriate sets.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
thank you very much. sorry for bothering you :D

huge fan of the database, big thanks to all helpers!
No problem, let us know if you need anything else.

btw, FoxLisk, you should add some kind of comment box on the site for when simply flagging players isn't enough.

Top Bottom