• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official: SSBPD unsupported; source code released.

Stylez

Smash Cadet
You know of the fresyes? That makes this project all that much more interesting.

When's this going to be open-source? I have so many questions as to how certain details were handled

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
You know of the fresyes? That makes this project all that much more interesting.

When's this going to be open-source? I have so many questions as to how certain details were handled
Yeah dude I'm actually from near there. A small town called Porterville. Used to play and win several LevelOne LAN tournies in Fresno/Clovis. Used to play with Lit, Mexi, and Dizzy also. Also played a lot with ThePest. Oh and Hunter and his crew. Also Tipdawg lived there for a while.

Been to several Fresno Falcons games. Used to win tickets from New Rock 104.1 a lot.

Also my highschool quarterback was Bear Pascoe, TE for the Bulldogs. He was drafted by the 9ers a couple years back, but was released and plays for the Giants now, and has a super bowl ring.

Stylez

Smash Cadet
That's awesome man. I'm really new so I don't know most of those. Actually, there are a lot of new people here who are on their way up. Mexi still plays too.

I usually just chill at dunskies house and play smash. If you're ever back in town you should come by

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
I seem to have been recruited to help bring this project back to life, and have been working from scratch on a new player database to replace the current SSBPD. I apologize for the time it's taken (I started around a month ago), but I'm juggling working on this with the development of a Melee-inspired game that I quit my previous job to see the completion of.

The progress of the site is going well. As far as basics, it's fully-functional: .tio files can be uploaded, Elo ratings are calculated (using a simplified algorithm for now, though still better than the current SSBPD) in seconds, and it supports any game someone wants to tag an event with while maintaining separate ratings for different games (doubles is also split from singles). Tournament/player searches and filters work, brackets (minus round robin at present time, but it's coming) can be viewed, and some of the management tools are done.

Most of what's left are aesthetics, moderator/uploader tools, support for extra details (mains/alts, regions, video links, player summaries, etc), some extra stability testing, and getting it ready to run on a real server instead of my home web server. I don't have an ETA yet, but I don't anticipate it taking any longer than another month, assuming no complications with hosting. I'm excited to show everyone the new site when it's ready.

Anand

Smash Journeyman
Is this still not open source? This has been discussed a bunch of times, but I haven't really been following in great detail.

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
Is this still not open source? This has been discussed a bunch of times, but I haven't really been following in great detail.
There is definitely a plan to make it open-source shortly after the site launches, but I'm not very proud of the code. I rushed a lot of it without thinking too much to try to save time. Regardless of quality, I think it's in everyone's best interest that it be made open-source, so that is still the plan. Hopefully other people can help with cleanup and best practices if it's too much of a problem.

Are we still planning on using the ssbpd.com domain?
I don't know who owns it or what the plan is for that. Does anyone else? Since the version I'm working on can handle any game, it might make sense to use a non-Smash-specific domain. We could still use ssbpd.com, maybe as a more Smash-focused version.

So would we have to re upload everything, or can you take the data already entered into SSBPD?
Assuming we can extract the .tio files from the current SSBPD, there shouldn't be a need to upload anything over again.

C.SDK

Smash Ace
I think you guys should keep the ssbpd domain as I think ssbpd.com has an already established audience so it wouldn't be a good idea to move it to another domain. The source to the software can be made available on ssbpd itself. It can be on its own mini-site if you will. Assuming it remains open-source and people have permission to distribute the software, people will slowly re-up the software essentially creating mirrors so it's fine if it stays in ssbpd.com

OR, you guys can have the source available to download on SourceForge and you just simply link it on ssbpd.com for reference. I think most people through a Google search will be able to find the software page on SourceForge.

OR, you can create a new domain but keep ssbpd.com alive and have it redirect to the new domain so when people direct their browsers to http://www.ssbpd.com it automatically redirects itself to http://www.newdomain.com

Yomi-no-Kuni

Smash Lord
so, just a minor question because you didn't mention it...
character and regionj -searches will still be part of the site?

really great to hear news about whats going on with ssbpd! looking forward to it!

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Terral, I'm definitely in favor of getting a new domain name, especially since your work can be applied to more than just Smash.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I think there should be a smash-specific website, and then the source can be available for people if they want to apply it to anything else.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
I agree with Stro ngBad. Also I think it should be under a different name. The SSBPD was the "Players Database." The new project is more of a "Smash" database, covering players as well as tournaments, videos, information, etc.

NNID
dansalvato
Random suggestion, but you could grab wavedasher.com as it's not yet taken. Feels like a pretty good name for a Smash hub.

C.SDK

Smash Ace
If it's of any interest, I own a domain and have web hosting on it but I don't know what to do with it so if you guys want, you can use it for this. And yes, the name is Smash related :p

C.SDK

Smash Ace
I've sent Juggleguy a PM with the domain name but I guess I'll post it here. I don't know what to do with it and I have a web hosting contract so I'm kind of forced to pay it, lol.

http://www.smashworld.net

Some of you may already notice an issue with it buuut maybe it can be sanctioned by MLG. Or even not, as I've done a bit of research and "Smash World" is not copyrighted nor trademarked.

Anand

Smash Journeyman
Random suggestion, but you could grab wavedasher.com as it's not yet taken. Feels like a pretty good name for a Smash hub.
*sigh*

I really wanted to use this one for myself one day but

superwavedash.com isn't taken. That'd be a sick name for a smash website
I prefer wavedasher.com to superwavedash.com because it isn't specific to one character.

NNID
dansalvato
"wavedasher" sounds awkward but "wavedash" doesn't, in my opinion. I think Smash World is a little too ambiguous, even if it's not trademarked, and you'd be fighting for the #1 Google spot with this website.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
I like DashDance.net though it sounds pretty gay out of context. I just think it flows nicely. I'm not a big fan of Smash World though. shffl.net in contrast to SRK? No one outside of smash would find it but I don't think that's the point.

Edit: The **** is going on at wavedash.net its someone's blog with instructions how to wavedash in smash. I'm confused, who owns this and can we buy it off them? apparently they hosted grass roots tournaments so it's got to be someone connected to smash.

Top Bottom