• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Stage Discussion

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Also, which stages are going over what now? I lost track. I'll have to swap my music filenames around and stuff.

Also, someone needs to make Wii U: Town & City so users can put in as Smashville's alt.

Last edited:

Sandfall

Stage Designer
I know I'm a nobody but i feel like one of my favorite stage creators is forgotten.

I really want to suggest anyone on the PMDev team to take a look at Skeleton's stages. He's working on a really neat looking Earthbound stage (Lumine Hall) and basically earthbound has no decently competitive stages so far.

I love PM to death and you guys are so busy of course i can do the obvious stuff, I just wanna recommend some quality work.
I actually am a fan of Skeleton's work. Minish Bar is seriously awesome and Lumine Hall looks really cool too. Even with the ability to add alternate stages, we are still working with limited slots. So, while it would be nice to add some community stages into the game, our own art team gets priority for stages. If we ever get stage expansion working properly, then we might look into adding a stage or two from the community (I'm personally open to the idea, but it really depends on how the rest of the team feels about it).

Draco_The

Smash Lord
I'm a believer too. I hope that also goes for characters once someone finds a way to add soundbanks which is the main thing keeping PM from having more than 7 extra characters AFAIK.

Ed94

Smash Apprentice
I'm loving how it looks so far. Especially the old 64 remake stage.

flintconfirmed

Smash Apprentice
I actually am a fan of Skeleton's work. Minish Bar is seriously awesome and Lumine Hall looks really cool too. Even with the ability to add alternate stages, we are still working with limited slots. So, while it would be nice to add some community stages into the game, our own art team gets priority for stages. If we ever get stage expansion working properly, then we might look into adding a stage or two from the community (I'm personally open to the idea, but it really depends on how the rest of the team feels about it).
I'm so happy you are also a fan! I've been looking into the stage expansion and there seems to be detailed info about changing the songs they use. Someone had the brilliant idea to use it to link custom stages to songs existing for current stages. That kind of efficiency i believe is a step in the right direction.

You also give me hope that the team is working on a nice EB alt. I'm glad. Thank you for replying to me.

TreK

Is "that guy"
I read somewhere that the melee battlefield edges have been brawlified, is that true ? :sadface:

Sandfall

Stage Designer
In light of recent news regarding a certain character, I figured I'd leave this image here:

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
does this mean we're getting vanilla new pork city back?
ew

but if you guys made it not the worst stage in the game
yay

GFooChombey

Smash Ace
NNID
GFooChombey
Well I was waiting to talk about Peach's Castle (Melee), but since it's getting cut I want to share an idea before it's buried. It's worth noting I got this idea before the 3.6 trailer.

This stage offers a unique layout having a tall pillar in the center which is fun and great to practice tech with, but without the switches and bullet bills it seems empty. Then we have Peach's Castle 64 which [will] be fun, but would also be missing something without the bumper. What if you used Delfino Plaza as a base to create a new stage that starts on Melee's castle, but then the platform comes and takes the players up through the clouds and into the sky to the 64 version. I love the idea since you can actually see the castle in the distance on N64. Then for fun and to utilize the Mario Kart assets in the game, you could make a stop somewhere on Royal Raceway.

The alternate stage loader pretty much kills this idea, but at least it's out there.

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
Where can I find said man's work?

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
I know I'm a nobody but i feel like one of my favorite stage creators is forgotten.

I really want to suggest anyone on the PMDev team to take a look at Skeleton's stages. He's working on a really neat looking Earthbound stage (Lumine Hall) and basically earthbound has no decently competitive stages so far.

I love PM to death and you guys are so busy of course i can do the obvious stuff, I just wanna recommend some quality work.
Yiss, we need a Link. :link64:

Who was the guy who originally made the Hornet Hole? If they were to add a community-made stage, when they figure out how to use custom stage slots, that should be one. The creator was able to give it hazards, and it's pretty. Definitely one of the best casual stages out there. I made a few changes to it myself, added a platform to the left and redistributed the spawning.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Smash Cadet
I'm personally a bit disappointed at the loss of Melee Peach's Castle; the reasoning behind the choice just baffles me. I know you all want the "original/HD" theme for the 64 stages, but it feels to me that it'd be more important to have a unique stage than to have two versions of the same stage.

The priorities just seem out of order with this choice.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
I personally don't care for the original textures at all. I adopted HD Dreamland releases long before it became official in 3.5.

Delta3519

Smash Rookie
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this because I'm new here. I've been playing project m a lot lately and I have to say that it is very well made. However there are a few things that need to be addressed. For right now I'm only going to talk about one in particular that is driving me mad, because I don't want to sound like I'm ranting. When you are standing right next to an enemy and go to strike them, the attack as a habit of going through the target as if they are not there. It happens with all the characters but especially so with those that have a sword. I attempt to grab an enemy that is standing right next to me and without them side stepping it misses them as if they did. The characters also go through each other too easily. In melee you couldn't get past the character unless you sidestepped or jumped over them, but an project m it seems like I'm trying to punch a ghost half the time.

Thanks for your time

Player -0

Smash Hero
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this because I'm new here. I've been playing project m a lot lately and I have to say that it is very well made. However there are a few things that need to be addressed. For right now I'm only going to talk about one in particular that is driving me mad, because I don't want to sound like I'm ranting. When you are standing right next to an enemy and go to strike them, the attack as a habit of going through the target as if they are not there. It happens with all the characters but especially so with those that have a sword. I attempt to grab an enemy that is standing right next to me and without them side stepping it misses them as if they did. The characters also go through each other too easily. In melee you couldn't get past the character unless you sidestepped or jumped over them, but an project m it seems like I'm trying to punch a ghost half the time.

Thanks for your time
This is the wrong place but to answer your question if you're too close the hotboxes won't touch the opponents model. The difference, if there, is miniscule. You're probably just not spacing well enough.

flintconfirmed

Smash Apprentice
Yiss, we need a Link. :link64:

Who was the guy who originally made the Hornet Hole? If they were to add a community-made stage, when they figure out how to use custom stage slots, that should be one. The creator was able to give it hazards, and it's pretty. Definitely one of the best casual stages out there. I made a few changes to it myself, added a platform to the left and redistributed the spawning.
http://www.smaaaash.net
Hes got stages that are awesommme

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
I'm personally a bit disappointed at the loss of Melee Peach's Castle; the reasoning behind the choice just baffles me. I know you all want the "original/HD" theme for the 64 stages, but it feels to me that it'd be more important to have a unique stage than to have two versions of the same stage.

The priorities just seem out of order with this choice.
I, personally, love the Smash 64 Mushroom Kingdom... Do you mean have the Peach's Castle as an alternate stage selection for Mushroom Kingdom? I certainly wouldn't mind if it went over the 64 version, though there would be an inconsistency with the other stages.

Sandfall

Stage Designer
does this mean we're getting vanilla new pork city back?
ew

but if you guys made it not the worst stage in the game
yay
The original New Pork City was abysmal for even the most casual of play. The art team took a look at the stage and found the biggest issue with the original was that most characters had trouble moving around the stage, even with the floaty Brawl physics. Characters basically had to use their double jump + up-B to just get around the stage. This resulted in less fighting and more laggy acrobatics, which isn't very fun. Because of this, we rearranged it in a way that every character can move around the stage with ease. While some of you may be disappointed that it is still a stage designed for Free For All battles, I hope the casual players here will enjoy the revamped New Pork City in the same way Temple is enjoyed.

Last edited:

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
Billion dollar question, how big is it now? I assume it's still big, but hopefully not as absurdly gigantic as before. IMO Temple is the absolute limit of how big a stage can be, should be around that.

Delta3519

Smash Rookie
This is the wrong place but to answer your question if you're too close the hotboxes won't touch the opponents model. The difference, if there, is miniscule. You're probably just not spacing well enough.
Can you provide a link to the right place to post this. It is something that I would like to be fixed

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Smash Cadet
I, personally, love the Smash 64 Mushroom Kingdom... Do you mean have the Peach's Castle as an alternate stage selection for Mushroom Kingdom? I certainly wouldn't mind if it went over the 64 version, though there would be an inconsistency with the other stages.
I was assuming Peach's Castle 64 is going to be like Saffron, Dreamland, and Hyrule Castle where you have the HD remake and the alt stage is the original 64 version.

If we got Mushroom Kingdom 64 as an alt to Peach's Castle 64 that'd be something I couldn't complain about; I'd miss Peach's Castle Melee, but we'd still be getting two unique stages instead of two versions of the same stage, which would make my opinion entirely on my personal taste. I wouldn't assume we were getting Mushroom Kingdom 64 until it was shown in a trailer or image by the dev team, though.

Player -0

Smash Hero
Can you provide a link to the right place to post this. It is something that I would like to be fixed
I think the best option would be to post a new thread in the General Discussion on the Project M boards. You'll get the same answer I gave you though.

There's nothing really to be fixed but that's a point for your to be thread I guess.

The original New Pork City was abysmal for even the most casual of play. The art team took a look at the stage and found the biggest issue with the original was that most characters had trouble moving around the stage, even with the floaty Brawl physics. Characters basically had to use their double jump + up-B to just get around the stage. This resulted in less fighting and more laggy acrobatics, which isn't very fun. Because of this, we rearranged it in a way that every character can move around the stage with ease. While some of you may be disappointed that it is still a stage designed for Free For All battles, I hope the casual players here will enjoy the revamped New Pork City in the same way Temple is enjoyed.
New Pork City was the bomb in "Basic Brawl" when Brawl WiFi was up. Lucas Zap Jumps -> Magnet Pulls + Gliding and other stuff was amazing. With the Project M changes it probably wouldn't be as fun if the stage were kept as is. I would like to request that a wall area be kept and the platform "staircase" be redone. Maybe so the stage has 2 layers and the platform staircase is on the right side or something. Could be Rumble Falls-esque and really cool.

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
The original New Pork City was abysmal for even the most casual of play.
Am a casual, can confirm.
Though that pink scary thing was fun, I liked killing it whenever it spawned on that door thing.

Will the stage still be huge? I definitely would not mind it being larger than Temple.

himemiya

Smash Lord
The original New Pork City was abysmal for even the most casual of play. The art team took a look at the stage and found the biggest issue with the original was that most characters had trouble moving around the stage, even with the floaty Brawl physics. Characters basically had to use their double jump + up-B to just get around the stage. This resulted in less fighting and more laggy acrobatics, which isn't very fun. Because of this, we rearranged it in a way that every character can move around the stage with ease.
:b:

While some of you may be disappointed that it is still a stage designed for Free For All battles, I hope the casual players here will enjoy the revamped New Pork City in the same way Temple is enjoyed.
:confused::facepalm::( Whhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
I'm okay with a casual-oriented NPC. It was lousy to see a substantial Mother 3 reference wasted on such an awful layout of a stage so rebuilding it for more viable casual play is fine when we're already sitting on 12+ competitively viable stages.

TheFlyingCule

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheFlyingCule
3DS FC
3668-8782-5131
Interesting to see New Pork back. Is it gonna be an Alt to Fourside or is it gonna be standalone with Fourside removed?

Sandfall

Stage Designer
Billion dollar question, how big is it now? I assume it's still big, but hopefully not as absurdly gigantic as before. IMO Temple is the absolute limit of how big a stage can be, should be around that.
Will the stage still be huge? I definitely would not mind it being larger than Temple.
The blast zones are the same, but with the rearranged platforms, the stage certainly feels smaller.

Interesting to see New Pork back. Is it gonna be an Alt to Fourside or is it gonna be standalone with Fourside removed?
It will be an alt for Fourside.

Azurie

Smash Cadet
I've gotta say, all the hd remakes, and the pm custom stages, look fantastic. Actually, they look so good they kind of put the Brawl stages to shame. PMDT, do you guys think that the brawl stages will eventually be given the "HD" treatment?

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
I've gotta say, all the hd remakes, and the pm custom stages, look fantastic. Actually, they look so good they kind of put the Brawl stages to shame. PMDT, do you guys think that the brawl stages will eventually be given the "HD" treatment?
Let's not leave out the Melee stages!

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
I'd love see Fountain of Dreams get a remake. The water looks so weird to me, and since it's impossible to recreate the reflections the only way out of that uncanny valley is to just redo the whole thing.

TheFlyingCule

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheFlyingCule
3DS FC
3668-8782-5131
If any Melee stage would benefit a ton from an HD makeover, I think it would be Temple. That stage...kinda looks a little gross now tbh. It would be a lot of work though.

Last edited:

Llama Juice

Smash Apprentice
For the N64 stages it's very exciting to remake them. You get to take something and rebuild it into your own imagination of what the stage should be. The artists back then had to imply what they wanted the stage to be, we have the power now to take that idea of a stage and bring it out into almost full detail. Metal Cavern and Peach's Castle were my contributions here, and I think it's pretty obvious that I took some creative liberties with the stages... but that's because I really had to. On the Brawl stages, I don't think it'd be worth the time to really redo them and make it look slightly better than what Nintendo did. I could see other plans happening though.

Melee stages... I could see some upgrades here and there, but again... the time and effort that goes into making a stage could be spent making some new art that's unique to Project M. Personally I'm way more hyped over Bowser's Castle than my HD remakes combined. In the end this is Project M, not Smash Melee/64 "HD". We deserve our own identity when it comes to the stages and alternate skins, and I think as a fan that's what I'd want more of as well.

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
For the N64 stages it's very exciting to remake them. You get to take something and rebuild it into your own imagination of what the stage should be. The artists back then had to imply what they wanted the stage to be, we have the power now to take that idea of a stage and bring it out into almost full detail. Metal Cavern and Peach's Castle were my contributions here, and I think it's pretty obvious that I took some creative liberties with the stages... but that's because I really had to. Personally I'm way more hyped over Bowser's Castle than my HD remakes combined.
That's what I love most about 'em... They feel original, partially why I was hyped about Hanenbow and infinite glacier. I also feel like I would have trouble imagining what could be done with the N64 stage that's not just HD textures, so I'm in full admiration, haha. Were there different stages of stage development? Like starting out with concept art, enhancing it, or whatnot?

On the Brawl stages, I don't think it'd be worth the time to really redo them and make it look slightly better than what Nintendo did. I could see other plans happening though. Melee stages... I could see some upgrades here and there, but again... the time and effort that goes into making a stage could be spent making some new art that's unique to Project M. In the end this is Project M, not Smash Melee/64 "HD". We deserve our own identity when it comes to the stages and alternate skins, and I think as a fan that's what I'd want more of as well.
I feel like the most that could be done are a few texture swaps, and MAYBE some more animated bits, for instance, Onett would have the occasional Shark or hippy.

Unless if you do Great Bay.

It deserves some hot stank dog-gawn Majora's Mask 3D HD glory, baby!

Last edited:

Draco_The

Smash Lord
I've seen two galleries showing the development of Metal Cavern and Return to Dreamland, but IDK where they are.

About HD Melee stages, I think Big Blue is the one that needs to be updated the most. The vehicles and the background are awful.

Top Bottom