• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Stage Legality Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mythic02

Smash Journeyman
Why is big blue banned? The floor is exactley like jungle japes and it is possible to recover from. Any ways, you shouldn't be touching the ground anyways. If you just jump off of final destination you are also in trouble.

Tick&Hail

Smash Rookie
I'm all up for big blue being legal, but I think it isn't because there isn't any real pattern of the raptors and is easy for certain characters to win without much effort, and their names aren't C Falcon. But I honestly don't have a clue why Norfair is legal and Pirate Ship isn't. I'm not a fan of racing Metaknight to a stupid small *** tube and getting whorenadoe'd and D-Smashed to ridiculous percents just to survive some lava. And I sure as hell am not spot dodging the lava.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
Big Blue is one of those "Let's ban it in Brawl because it was banned in Melee."

Spotdodging the lava is so easy. You can even shield it. Norfair and Pirate Ship are legal up here.

If you jump off FD, you are edgeguarding. If you jump off Big Blue, you are ********.

If you get shield-pushed off FD, it's all good, you can recover. If you get shield-pushed off of an F-Zero racer, you're ****ed. You'll end up tumbling into the ground, causing lag which will kill you.

There's a few key differences between the River and the Track.

River: At the left, you're screwed. Anywhere else, not too hard. Bunch of landing lag all the time. Time-based hazard.
Track: Landing lag only if you go into freefall or hitstun, which mostly screws you over. Landing off of a jump will make sure you're always safe. Upward ramps basically kill you as jumping does nothing, and running causes you to slow down somehow.

The two stages are also the same size, except it's easier to kill off the top on Big Blue as you're usually in the middle of the stage.

Bonus Notes:

Japes: zAirs get destroyed when misspaced on the middle platform (they try to tether)
Blue: 40 seconds of circle camping in randomly spaced intervals, but timed so that you never end the match in a chase.

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
The worse a person can jump in Big Blue, the more unfair the stage is. If it didn't have the nearly fatal track that's deadly everywhere though, it might be another version of Rainbow Cruise, only you are fighting to stay on the platforms, instead of using the platforms to fight to stay on the screen.

Norfair and Pirateship are, again, no problem. Infact, if you jump off of the screen, the lava misses you, and you can prepare a smash while the person is still stuck inside of the tube. I love doing that to people. Fastfall, and then they eat an Aura Sphere once the bunker opens up.

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
If brinstar/norfair are allowed I think stages like PKMN stadium 2 should be allowed. It just altets game play and doesn't do damage to the opponet.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Norfair is banned in some places. That stage forces you to pay attention to the lava more than your opponent because of how frequent the lava acts up.

buenob

Smash Lord
it's more the fact that there are so many ledges it's almost impossible to kill a camping MK as a lot of characters... I still don't think it should be banned yet, but that's the reasoning behind it, not the lava

Samus Aran X

Smash Cadet
Um, this may seem random, but why is The Summit banned? If anything, the lowest it should go is Counter/Banned. It has very obvious threats (When the stage begins to slide, you'll obviously get whisked away since it's moving, The fish is so predictable. Players could easily stay above the shallow water level.)
There's nothing really bad about it, and I don't see how the light gravity could be such a nuisance seeing as Pirate Ship, a counterpick, has light gravity as well which also acts as an advantage, but unpurposefully. Also, it has less predicatable threats (The canon balls can be a nuisance if you're paying attention more to the fight than the background..) unless the characters sliding around is extremely problematic..

For the summit, all you have to do is follow two rules to avoid threats
- Stay out of the water (it's not like people just stay there and float throughout the match)
- Don't step on the mountain while you're falling down. (kind of obvious unless you're blind)

Linkshot

Smash Hero
All of those issues are valid and we see them the way you do.

You missed an issue that many forget (due to playing without a timer on, maybe; or not "playing to win" in a traditional sense).

Circle Camping.

It has been proven you can circle-camp around the left side. It's the same reason Temple and New Pork are banned.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
The Circle camping doesn't last for long due to the collapsing platforms and water. The real reason the stage is banned is due to the lack of ledges and the fish. Yes, it's predictable, but if you happen to be in the water, your opponent can footstool you back in the water, allowing the fish to kill you. On a side note, tripping happens more frequently here than any other stage.

buenob

Smash Lord
lol eternal , the circle camping does last... I tested it out with friends, and sonic can definitely run away indefinitely... even against a lucas

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I actually have been involved in the production of video evidence of how you can run away forever on the Summit. It's a shame too; otherwise it's a great course (only scrubs have trouble with the fish).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=decTFkAiOzo

Also, what would you guys think of a general poll among the users of smashboards on stage legality in general? I'm curious what the community in general thinks about it; the only problem would be formatting a way to let people vote easily without making cheating easy (this is actually really hard, perhaps impossible to do itself). Of course, I'm sure we'd get some odd/scrubby results, but it could be interesting regardless.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
To the last paragraph, Smogon is trying to do that with the Pokemon Tiers, but people are abusing the "professional vote" and just voting Uber for everything they hate.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I think smashboards is a little more intelligent than the Pokemon community; we didn't ban Meta Knight while, well, look at Garchomp/Wobbuffet/Deoxys-e. Actually the Pokemon community has a lot of deep problems that make the smash community look just about perfect...

Anyway, I figure with tournaments that have 4 starters and 10 counterpicks already existing, we couldn't really produce a more ban-happy list via such a method. I do anticipate that we'd see a lot of that effect though; Pokemon Stadium 2 would doubtless not do well in such a situation...

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I think smashboards is a little more intelligent than the Pokemon community; we didn't ban Meta Knight while, well, look at Garchomp/Wobbuffet/Deoxys-e.
No, many did ban MK.

It was the SBR that suggested against it.

The SWF is stupid AA. :bee:

voomm

Smash Apprentice
~These are fair and are perfect everyone just dont complain if you want to brawl somewhere else dont do it with fair players~

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
I think smashboards is a little more intelligent than the Pokemon community; we didn't ban Meta Knight while, well, look at Garchomp/Wobbuffet/Deoxys-e. Actually the Pokemon community has a lot of deep problems that make the smash community look just about perfect...

Wait wait why should Wobbuffet and Deoxys-E not be banned? I am a bit ancient so bring me up to speed on why those pokemon should not be banned plz.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
They obviously have something more against Samus. Brinstar is a great stage, Norfair less so, but they're both still very legal. Just because it has "nonstandard" features doesn't mean it should be banned :/

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
how is norfair a counterpick. The stage can kill you and there are set-ups for lava combos. bigblue/ mute city anyone?

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
not ever charter has a direct combo. And if you playing a match and lava RANDOMLY comes out you get hit. At least with big blue its always the same pattern. I don't think big blue should be a counter pick but norfair is ridiculous.

Gea

Smash Master
how is norfair a counterpick. The stage can kill you and there are set-ups for lava combos. bigblue/ mute city anyone?
Mute City was a counterpick. Learn to stay on the upper platforms if you really can't tell when the lava starts to rise. Visual clues help alot. I don't care for Norfair because of the platform layout, but its definitely not bannable.

Just play on it more and you'll start to do better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom