• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Washington Melee thread

im impressed.

edit: hey otto, I heard sheik's boost grab (dash attack cancel grab, whatever you wanna call it) is not actually that good. do you ever use it?

like, for example, when you techchase the space animals, do you use JC grabs or boost grabs?
i use it for if they tech away, its hella good. if they tech in place just grab, if they tech behind jc grab

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
anthony *****! those posts T_T

jc grab is faster in terms of grab time (vs running grabs) and its almost as far as running grabs. if u boost you could miss the chase or go too far.

austin showed me how using boost grab was good to get tech away.

otto-u ever use fox's boost grab in a specific scenario, something other than just for the hell of it?

its weird reading toph talking about sheik lol.

Smile

Smash Apprentice
i never understood the jump cancel grab crap, i can only jump cancel shine with falco, trying to grab after a jump sounds wierd

Anthony next time we're up at PLU I'll show you the JC grab. Dunno what you jump with (I use X) but you just kinda slide X and Z at ALMOST the same time.

It's incredibly helpful as Falcon, shortens time on running grab and you can pivot REALLY fast with it.

PandaMageMaltDrinka

Smash Apprentice
whatever kline, an ya conner, i do with the falco, i just slam up then backdown real fast to get my double shines out there, so if your saying that after a jab reset then i do a JC, i mean that'd work?

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
someone please show anthony how to jc grab. it is absolutely ridiculous that anyone be allowed to know how to doubleshine (with the control stick nonetheless) and not be able to jc grab

i didnt know about jc grabbing for hella long. i always thought people were somehow dash cancel grabbing from initial dash

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
haha thats like how vish was with jc usmashing. i taught vish jc usmashing (i dont think he actually does it but i brought it to his attention)

otto, quick question, probably last question for a while lol. thanks for having answered these so far <3

I've been picking up sheik etc. as secondaries for a little while now for 2 reasons: 1) because I win >90% now against the only smasher I actually live close to with Fox and 2) at long smashfests, it's really grueling these days playing ONLY spacies particularly against characters that can cg. I just feel like I have to mix it up, and to do that I want to pick up another solid character or two (like sheik, hence the last page or so)

do you think these are good reasons to pick up extra characters though? not for tournament of course. or is it the case that any time not playing spacies is better spent playing spacies lol

btw when i say "pick up" other characters i dont mean just movement and techskill, i mean like, matchups, approaches, etc.

so in summary, will picking up secondaries help or hurt my game lol

i'm asking you in particular because you play a lot of characters but you also see success with a lot of characters (unlike kline), yet you've also told me a few times to "stick with just fox." mind you, the last time i asked about sheik, it was as a tournament character to counter marth, etc. this time, it's just to mix it up in friendlies/to improve my fox...

MasterC

Smash Ace
yea dawg, JC grabs are THE ****... idk how you got this far without em :p

and i thought they were ALWAYS better than boost grabs, but c!z is talkin that **** again (short chars? wtf)

so boost grab against jiggs/pika and JC grab against everyone else? or should everyone just adopt otto's approach??

that was directed towards kline, c!z, otto, toph but feel free to share yo input pimps

PandaMageMaltDrinka

Smash Apprentice
i dont ever JC grab, guess i never thought about it, or that OOS crap, i shine outta shield usually, but i need to start rolling away and stuff, because usually when i try to shine outta shield like 2 outta 5 times i just sidestep then get combo'd or grabbed, or what most foxes do especially when i f up on my edgeguarding and just sidestep an dont roll usually with FALCON, they drillshine WDASH grab upthrow either drill RESET me or up air, whether one or the other it results in a upsmash ( THIS IS ON PLATFORMS USUALLY like YOSHI'S ) and the rest is history, PeTeR an PHoNG do dat ****, i just dont react fast enough or roll after the shine i guess

**** fox basics

otto, quick question, probably last question for a while lol. thanks for having answered these so far <3

I've been picking up sheik etc. as secondaries for a little while now for 2 reasons: 1) because I win >90% now against the only smasher I actually live close to with Fox and 2) at long smashfests, it's really grueling these days playing ONLY spacies particularly against characters that can cg. I just feel like I have to mix it up, and to do that I want to pick up another solid character or two (like sheik, hence the last page or so)

do you think these are good reasons to pick up extra characters though? not for tournament of course. or is it the case that any time not playing spacies is better spent playing spacies lol

btw when i say "pick up" other characters i dont mean just movement and techskill, i mean like, matchups, approaches, etc.

so in summary, will picking up secondaries help or hurt my game lol

i'm asking you in particular because you play a lot of characters but you also see success with a lot of characters (unlike kline), yet you've also told me a few times to "stick with just fox." mind you, the last time i asked about sheik, it was as a tournament character to counter marth, etc. this time, it's just to mix it up in friendlies/to improve my fox...
picking up new characters cant hurt your game, i think its helped me in a few ways. i think understanding more match ups just makes you better at the game in general. you find and practice new ways of manipulating/punishing characters and can compare those to what you can do with fox to better your fox. or in match ups vs fox you know how it goes from the other side and you can see what is punishable and when on shieks or w/e around your level

there are times when im bored with fox, so its nice to have other characters to play so i can still play melee and keep it fresh while learning ****; as opposed to not playing cuz fox is boring vs x player for whatever reasons. if youre already getting bored with fox, you dont want to play and playing only fox would just make it worse lol.

when i say 'stick with just fox', i just wanted you to play fox to a point where you were good enough to play other characters in whatever case (this one being you beating that dude a lot). but when you have the opportunity to play really good players, almost always use fox.

basically, how good of practice they are can be proportional to how much youre using fox, assuming youre having fun with him.

MasterC

Smash Ace
i dont ever JC grab, guess i never thought about it, or that OOS crap, i shine outta shield usually, but i need to start rolling away and stuff, because usually when i try to shine outta shield like 2 outta 5 times i just sidestep then get combo'd or grabbed, or what most foxes do especially when i f up on my edgeguarding and just sidestep an dont roll usually with FALCON, they drillshine WDASH grab upthrow either drill RESET me or up air, whether one or the other it results in a upsmash ( THIS IS ON PLATFORMS USUALLY like YOSHI'S ) and the rest is history, PeTeR an PHoNG do dat ****, i just dont react fast enough or roll after the shine i guess

**** fox basics
so you ONLY boost grab? or do you use the regular "z" button on top of that? personally, i only JC grab but that could be a fault looking at otto/c!z's posts...

and ditto with the shine OOS lol i always **** that up, need more tech skill

C!Z

Smash Lord
It's not extremely useful, but it doesn't hurt to know how to do it. JC grabs go right over some chars especially if they're crouching, the boost or normal run grab will grab lower than the JC grab. Not sure if you've ever seen someone try to JC grab jiggs and her just crouch to rest them.

If you're messin up shine OOS you're probably just not waiting for the proper amount of hit stun on your shield before you try and jump.

PandaMageMaltDrinka

Smash Apprentice
ya your probably right ciz, an masta C, i dont really pay attention to how my char grabs, i just grab em usually, whether its a boost grab or just a regular grab

i'm practiciny my shine turn around wavelands on platforms so i can be cool like lovage / silent wolf, but it pisses me off that after i turn, my guy dont waveland, with his back at the initial direction i'm moving at

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
yeah I'm definitely having a lot of fun with fox, so I think all of that advice applies really well - i'll continue to play primarily fox against better players. thanks homie!

tourney this weekend, wish me luck. i have a little cut on my left thumb though >_< i hope it doesn't affect anything

i'm housing with a good ganon player tonight, hopefully i can tap that *** in friendlies tonight and get my confidence up hahaha

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
digits what happened to you? did you smash with ppl yet? i remember like a week ago everyone was like, o ****, here comes digits. now its just like, digits whos that.

in fact, same goes for batman

Smash Apprentice
digits what happened to you? did you smash with ppl yet? i remember like a week ago everyone was like, o ****, here comes digits. now its just like, digits whos that.

in fact, same goes for batman
nah I been playin with missilearmada or whatever his name was (my bad for not remembering). and C!Z, just played with him today actually. got my *** kicked hella, it was awesome.

EDIT: missilearsenal (I only knew his real name)

Syler

Smash Journeyman

**** fox basics
This whole statement boggles my mind since i know you the best out of anyone here. First off how the hell do you not know how to jc grab when i taught you that before sure numerous times. Also, i think everyone else you play with knows about it as well. Then again you forgot how to di a few times after i taught you >_>. But im pretty sure you jc grab at least some of the time or ur falcon and fox missing grabs would look ridiculous and be very ****ing obvious to me and i would have pointed it out. Let alone some of ur other chars. As for u missing shine oos that's if ur not playing techincal that day, usually if ur on ur game you don't seem to mess up a lot.

As far as edgeguarding foxes with falcon, idk about peter but phong just does a drill to grab, no shine at all, that's actually half his approach too. You probably see it coming half the time so you should know to pretty much avoid the grab.

As for the upthrow onto a platform where a fox usually either upairs you or drill (jab reset motion) to another upsmash it's really RPS. Because most people do one or the other, just stay there and get hit by that move or usually roll the place furthest away (kind of like people normally teching that way and being dumb half the time cuz it's a normal reaction and very predictable (like ur bad habit or rolling back a lot cuz it's the furthest distance from the person, so they usually read ur tech and run righ through it and grab you as you get out of the rolling animation.)) just switch it up unless they only focus on one thing. Kind of like shiek when she tech chases you she's going to grab you if ur shield, if you stop shielding and getting up with a let's say gentlemen's or something she'll start running up and dash attacking instead, it's all RPS just do a counter to what their doing but it's all chance unless their dumb.

And i haven't read up on dash grabbing in a while i just know it's good for shiek from what drephen and a few others have said in the shiek boards cuz of the range of the grab.

P.S. going to have to agree with otto on the whole alts thing.. actually pretty much all of it

P.P.S. got **** this is a big post, think im going to go back to bed im still sick >_>

EDIT: On second thought anthony i just thought about it, and you usually don't run up and grab peeps or at least me, (you usually play defensive and only shield grab most of the time) might be why i didn't notice it before but i know for a fact i've told you mutiple times. *shrugs* oh well i might see you later but im still sick and can't drive my car =/

PandaMageMaltDrinka

Smash Apprentice
syler shut up, nDie's picking your *** up, i talked to him, i'll c u later tho, an yes, i don't usually run up an grab, i do shield grab a lot tho, something i needa stop, nDie punishes me for it

Syler

Smash Journeyman
lol wut... and i lied.. i didn't go to bed till 11:30ish.. and im awake now cuz sue just got her phone delivered from fedex fml, err anyways tell cody if he calls and i don't answer i might be sleeping but swing by anyways.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
omfg i played the best ****ing smash of my life this weekend. sooo happy with how my tournament went. maaan i was playing so creative and "conscious" too, i can remember so many times this weekend that i'd talk to myself in my head during a game "he's doing this"/"he's catching you on this, switch it up!"/"let's see if this **** works" haha. fukkin ****

anyway, i got 7th, and lost to mach dash in both winners and losers LOL. i was soooo close to beatng him both sets too >_< last game we were both at last stock, 0% to like 100%, and he gets a grab.... and he ****ing reads my mind or some bull**** and destroys me LOL D:

C!Z

Smash Lord
Yeah I'm pretty much at the top of the Native totem pole. I don't wanna hear any oh my great somethin had Cherokee in them bull**** either. I swear them Cherokee's musta loved them some white women, cuz that's the only **** I ever hear when whiteys tell me they have native blood too.

Top Bottom