• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Yoshi Critique Topic

Chaco

Never Logs In
That's right, post your vids to be critiques here. Hopefully this'll help knock down the spam level on the Yoshi boards.

Basically just use this format for critiquing:

Link to Video
Date game was played
Specify online or offline

This will help to track your improvement in the long run. Also keep it organized in your video posting. When putting up vids try to put up videos of you losing. It's better for us to critique.

I'll keep an archive of each person and comments on them, meaning videos and Proshi comments. Those being the tourney goers. Lol.

Keep on :yoshi:ing people.

Metatitan

Smash Master
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UetQ9AwGHgw
January 11th

I'm pretty sure that I shouldn't have won that game, but I was able to squeeze out a win due to my brother's fairly mediocre Marth. I'm sure that my aggressive playstyle hurt me a lot, though.
are u DR'ing after each bair? i dont think thats really necesary unless u wanna try and look flashy or somethin

.Marik

is a social misfit
I'll have videos up soon.

I don't have any means of recording matches, so it's always an irksome burden to upload the matches onto YouTube.

YoshiIslander77z

Smash Apprentice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UetQ9AwGHgw
January 11th

I'm pretty sure that I shouldn't have won that game, but I was able to squeeze out a win due to my brother's fairly mediocre Marth. I'm sure that my aggressive playstyle hurt me a lot, though.
u did good , if ur ever in a place where u cant get out of ur shield try to roll away while they hit ur shield it will roll u away far enough that u cant be punished easily. nice use of ur aireals some more pivot grab would help and a dragonic egglaying would go well ith ur playstyle.

I'll have some new videos up so you guys can critque my horrid Yoshi
woot grampz i been waiting for u to get some vids up =]

Chaco

Never Logs In
Alright, once more people post vids I'll archive them.

Chaco

Never Logs In
I watched the first one.

-Learn how to DI (For srs Yoshi is a heavy weight, you should not die at 98% vertically)
-Learn how to maneuver with Yoshi
-Learn how to ETS
-Learn how to ECE
-Learn how to effectively grab
-Learn how to approach
-Learn about Yoshi period. You look like you just picked him up as a joke and that was the first time you ever played him.

Nul

Smash Apprentice
Bang, you need more sidesteps on that Lucas, if you can on his fire, you pull something on him fast, but not a Ssmash. Some of the stuff Lucas did was a bit on the obvious side and you went for it, mostly noting that Usmash on your 2nd stock. And for the Hip Drop, don't do it from high up over your opponent, trust me, its more punishment than it would seem.

I'm not really going to comment on the Ike one.

Niceness on some of your combos, try to keep the pressure going.

YoshiIslander77z

Smash Apprentice
i think we should say

whats good
-
-
-

whats bad
-
-
-

it kinda gives u a bad feeling when u first start in u yoshi career and the the cold hard truth not put but forcibly shoved in ur face ;)

Metatitan

Smash Master
@ zach

what's good:
u seem to get the idea on how yoshi is played

what's bad:
you just need to polish things up, waaaaaay more grabs especially on a wario (cmon its like grab release to a free uair how can u pass that up) and more egg toss slide, more mindgames etc.

YoshiIslander77z

Smash Apprentice
Posting videos I got from Waba last Saturday. I'll edit as the rest upload

Lucario
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cy-nf6EvLmE

Some of them I did reckless stuff, some I didn't. It was friendlies, and I wanted to try some odd scenarios that I normally wouldn't put myself into. So if you see something really stupid, then assume that I was experimenting.
wow, u had that match grampz but there are some thigns that i can see that could be improved such as
- betting more then 1 dollar,
- di combos not just kill moves, u seemed to get hit by alot of short 2 hit comboes.
-spacing for a counter attack like how u stopped his fsmash with ur fair looked good
-spacing in genreal
- moar pivot grabing aireals !!!
-under lucario is bad... dair is painful. its better off just coming up with a rising bair
-recovering u were kinda predictable, i dont got much adive beside using more eggs
- u got punished after jump in close combat
-ur close comabt game seems alittle weak
- trying using eggs more to stop approaches and
-seeing if u opponent playstyle
- approaches alot eggs pivot grab (he came at u alot)
- does he shield ur spot dodge ur approaches (more grrabing)
- U MUST LIVE AT 221%
- try to kill alil ealier, bair into smash kill
- u didnt really have ground approach allows ur opponent to get away with more shielding

good things
- u mixed it up very well, u were hard to predict
- good hit combination
- nice us of down b and side b
- puting this vid up(i found it fun to watch)
- ur playstyle adapted to his well but .... u could improve
- u didnt get grabbed much
- u spaced ur attack pretty well but when u were being attack u randomly short hoping u werent placing urself in a safe place
- u betted 1 dollar and lost

tell me if u liked my advice grampz or if u disagree with anything

edit i didnt read that lil paragraph u wrote till now so assume i crtique with that out of mind

bigman40

Smash Master
uh huh.....next time...be sure to read those..I don't normally like to write big things, when I do, they're mostly important. >.>

Anyways, all of them are up. I didn't feel like splitting up my wins and losses, so I just put them all here.

YoshiIslander77z

Smash Apprentice
uh huh.....next time...be sure to read those..I don't normally like to write big things, when I do, they're mostly important. >.>

Anyways, all of them are up. I didn't feel like splitting up my wins and losses, so I just put them all here.
everything u say are drops of wisedom grampz, howd u think u got that nick name. not case ur like 8 years older then me =P

but tell me if my advice is good or not because they would reflect on how i use my yoshi in certin situatoins

bigman40

Smash Master
everything u say are drops of wisedom grampz, howd u think u got that nick name. not case ur like 8 years older then me =P

but tell me if my advice is good or not because they would reflect on how i use my yoshi in certin situatoins
Grammer Nazi moment! - It's situations
/grammer nazi moment

Sure I'll let you know about your advice...

wow, u had that match grampz but there are some thigns that i can see that could be improved such as
- betting more then 1 dollar, (when you get in college and have to save money, you'll understand the importance of minimzing your losses.)
- di combos not just kill moves, u seemed to get hit by alot of short 2 hit comboes. (it's fairly tough for me to react to things THAT fast. Not only that, but when I atempted to DI, it didn't do anything.)
-spacing for a counter attack like how u stopped his fsmash with ur fair looked good (That one was very lucky. I don't get rare moments many times like that. Something like that requires next to perfect timing and reflexes to pull off consistently. It's a reason why most people don't do things like that constantly.)
-spacing in genreal (You're saying this as if I need MUCH more practice. This should be used when you normally see someone getting grabbed like everytime.)
- moar pivot grabing aireals !!! (I've been trying to work on this lately. My pivot grab game isn't nearly as good as I want it)
-under lucario is bad... dair is painful. its better off just coming up with a rising bair (I don't use rising Bair even though I know there's a certain percentage where it'll be REALLY safe)
-recovering u were kinda predictable, i dont got much adive beside using more eggs (You're gonna have to explain this. Yoshi only has DJAD, DJ armor, or Sweetspot edge. You'll be able to normally figure out which option I will use since he's limited there.)
- u got punished after jump in close combat (huh? Where?)
-ur close comabt game seems alittle weak (It never was that strong. My playstyle depends on spacing and punishing. Plus, Yoshi doesn't handle upclose too well against certain characters.)
- trying using eggs more to stop approaches and (Which was what I was testing. Watch the rest of the videos to get what I mean. Using too many eggs will just force them to be grounded, but then they'll mixup in your face.)
-seeing if u opponent playstyle
- approaches alot eggs pivot grab (he came at u alot)
- does he shield ur spot dodge ur approaches (more grrabing)
- U MUST LIVE AT 221% (I'm surprised that I lived that many times close to 200%. Not many people can pull that off consistently. Not only that, but it's hard to keep momentum.)
- try to kill alil ealier, bair into smash kill (I've already thought about this. Yoshi CANNOT kill consistently UNTIL he gets his opponents up to about 140%. I've looked at all my kills and other people kills, and they're normally close to that range.)
- u didnt really have ground approach allows ur opponent to get away with more shielding (IMO, being grounded against Lucario is REALLY bad. I did alot of Empty SHs to keep moving and to stay ready for things. Also, when he did get ready for shield grabbing, I spaced it, or I egg layed him.)

good things
- u mixed it up very well, u were hard to predict
- good hit combination
- nice us of down b and side b
- puting this vid up(i found it fun to watch)
- ur playstyle adapted to his well but .... u could improve (Everyone can improve. I don't know the Matchup nearly as well as I could. I've only played this matchup like..... 4-5 times now....Not enough for me.)
- u didnt get grabbed much (this part is what normally defines spacing. Spacing = not getting hit or grabbed nearly as much as something not spacing.)
- u spaced ur attack pretty well but when u were being attack u randomly short hoping u werent placing urself in a safe place
- u betted 1 dollar and lost

tell me if u liked my advice grampz or if u disagree with anything

edit i didnt read that lil paragraph u wrote till now so assume i crtique with that out of mind
You forget that somethings that you said is including the factor "Momentum". This factor can make anyone go on a rampage, to going on the super defense, trying to make things reset (aka neutral). It's fact that Lucario can get momentum much more easily than Yoshi can. It's the reason why you saw sometimes where I just couldn't establish anything and got beat up.

YoshiIslander77z

Smash Apprentice
well grampz u posted like 10 vids when i saw urs it was like before u edited it was one vid, then when u edited it its like im not gonna watch all those put one at a time. and also...

i think i need to make the letters bigger
VVVV
VV
V

Forsworn

Smash Cadet
I don't have any recording devices, so if anyone that does would like to help me out and record my replays that would be nice. Never done that before, though; we'd have to exchange Wii codes and that's it, right?

SOVAman

Smash Hero
well grampz u posted like 10 vids when i saw urs it was like before u edited it was one vid, then when u edited it its like im not gonna watch all those put one at a time. and also...

i think i need to make the letters bigger
VVVV
VV
V

Yeah back them bigger lol

Elefterios

Smash Journeyman
tch, 1 more dollar.... >_>

No one is really giving me any tips other than Yoshilander.......cmon.....wtf are you people?
you should definitely shield more. Sometimes you do back air, and quickly try to follow up to a forward tilt or down b. You have to make sure you are able to land those, if you're not, just shield. If you have to dodge, try to time it so that you would dodge one of your opponents attack. A bad habit alot of yoshi players have is attacking someone's shield and quickly dodging right after. You ALWAYS get punished for that dodge. Try to shield as much as you can, and roll away.

You are very predictable when landing onstage. I see you always trying to land a back air when you are coming back, I find it way too risky. Your opponent can easily shield and punish you. The best thing to do with any character is to land as far away from your opponent.That would give you more breathing room and get you an opportunity to attack when a real opportunity rises up. Again it's not always wrong to try to attack him, but try to change it up more.

To sum it up, be less aggressive. make every move count. throw more eggs. pivot more. i saw you doing some pivots to grab, definitely use more of those..

I think pivoting is absolutely necessary for yoshi's game. It's not risky and you can cancel it to almost anything. You can pivot to smash, pivot to grab, pivot to egg, and pivot to aerial. If your opponent is used to seeing you pivot to grab, pivot to a charge hyphen smash wait till he dodges and connect it. The key is, don't always be offensive, let your opponent be the aggressive one and try to punish his mistakes.

bigman40

Smash Master
Ugh.....defensive play.....god it's soo boring.......Ah well, I'll look into it. I already know my pivot grabbing isn't that good, but for pivoting itself, I don't think it's that big of a deal for Yoshi's game. But whatever. I'll look into it.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno

YoshiIslander77z

Smash Apprentice
i only watched the first match u did pretty good just need to throw some more eggs and bemore careful in close combat because u can become a victum of the meta **** and gets u killed. avoid using down b in the air as it has horrible prority and is alil obvious cause the sound it makes quickens the opponents reaction time. u should throw in some more bairs and use ur aireals a bit more and air dodge while recoverying and landing

comon yoshi ppl rate some vids

Chaco

Never Logs In
Okay so you got the idea of CGing MK, but on the release spike you jumped off the stage, just run off the stage and use Fair.

Top Bottom