• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Zero Suit Samus Matchup Thread

sasook

Smash Champion
Whose side are you on O_o we have difference maker the out of no where flip kick. If u lose to Wario you don't have to drag us down with you.

Oh please we have the flip kick/flip stool and it has invisibility frames.
This is a discussion, not a competition. You can't call him out for "being on the other side" for acknowledging the opponent's advantages.

And the flipjump is pretty punishable because of its predictable trajectory, as was stated in the discussion already.

MorphedChaos

Smash Lord
If you flipjump, I could just DACUS to your predictable location, or chase you with Fairs or Bairs. If I am lucky enough, I might be able to even waft on you, but I doubt the last one.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
So yeah, I'm crazy, and a Sonic boarder, invading your MU threads.

But I come not to spam, instead I ask of a favor to any of you who wish to take a quick peek at this:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=190510

It's our matchup thread, and we're going over Zero Suit again, just tell us if we've skimmed over any major stuff or with the posts so far have anything that might not be correct. Just the usual discussion of character Vs. character, not a real big deal.

Please & Thank you.

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
Whose side are you on O_o we have difference maker the out of no where flip kick. If u lose to Wario you don't have to drag us down with you.

Oh please we have the flip kick/flip stool and it has invisibility frames.
I really shouldn't have to point out how ******** this post is, but here you go:

-you haven't even said how flip kick is useful, yet you think it's a saving grace for some reason. Yes it has invincibility, yes it is a good kill move, just like in every other match up. I fail to see how this hurts Wario particularly badly, he's actually one of the best characters in the game to punish you if you get predictable with that move.

-You've never met me, if I recall you live in New York, so we're on opposite coasts. How you managed to draw any results of me fighting Warios from what you know about me, I have no idea.

-And whose side am I on? luls...

TheRockSays

Smash Journeyman
This is a discussion, not a competition. You can't call him out for "being on the other side" for acknowledging the opponent's advantages.

And the flipjump is pretty punishable because of its predictable trajectory, as was stated in the discussion already.
I'm sorry but i don't think wario has advantages against ZSS at all. I do believe is 50:50 Just because both characters are very versatile in their own way.

Yes i know the The Flip Jump is punishable, i don't know how you play and how you use the flip jump but i only use it when i see the opportunity. Every time i use the flip kick it has to be perfectly time that my opponent has no time to react to it.

If you flipjump, I could just DACUS to your predictable location, or chase you with Fairs or Bairs. If I am lucky enough, I might be able to even waft on you, but I doubt the last one.
Yes interesting enough you state what you can do to me, and we have not played each other this just a theory on your part the flip only comes out when my opponent does not see it.

I really shouldn't have to point out how ******** this post is, but here you go:

-you haven't even said how flip kick is useful, yet you think it's a saving grace for some reason. Yes it has invincibility, yes it is a good kill move, just like in every other match up. I fail to see how this hurts Wario particularly badly, he's actually one of the best characters in the game to punish you if you get predictable with that move.

-You've never met me, if I recall you live in New York, so we're on opposite coasts. How you managed to draw any results of me fighting Warios from what you know about me, I have no idea.

-And whose side am I on? luls...
I guess you misunderstand me .

- The Flip Jump/The Flip Kick is not just against wario. The flip kick has its advantages and its disadvantages it's just that move that can change a game around.(I remember snakeee did it on M2K probably the best Flip kick moment.

- I have not met you great fact. Although 1 person can't speak for everyone in this board.

I try not to take what TheRock says seriously anymore.
.... I haven't taken you serious either for the longest, i guess we are on the same page.

sasook

Smash Champion
Cake, I'm starting to agree with you.

TheRocksays, do you even know what a matchup discussion is? It's about what a character can do to another character and what they can do to counter each other and punish each other.

Maybe you're awesome at landing flip kicks, great. THIS IS NOT RELEVANT. The matchup discussion doesn't take into account what the players can do to each other, because then every matchup would just be "well if I mindgame you, I'll win." It's about what the characters can do to other characters, NOT about which player is good at landing flip kicks, or doing this, or doing that, and whatnot. Because it's strictly limited to that, the flip kick IS punishable. AGAIN, please don't reply "well I dunno how you use it but when I use it, it always hits" - NOT RELEVANT.

Hopefully I've made myself clear.

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
Cake, I'm starting to agree with you.

TheRocksays, do you even know what a matchup discussion is? It's about what a character can do to another character and what they can do to counter each other and punish each other.

Maybe you're awesome at landing flip kicks, great. THIS IS NOT RELEVANT. The matchup discussion doesn't take into account what the players can do to each other, because then every matchup would just be "well if I mindgame you, I'll win." It's about what the characters can do to other characters, NOT about which player is good at landing flip kicks, or doing this, or doing that, and whatnot. Because it's strictly limited to that, the flip kick IS punishable. AGAIN, please don't reply "well I dunno how you use it but when I use it, it always hits" - NOT RELEVANT.

Hopefully I've made myself clear.
I've explained that to him on more than one occasion, he just doesn't get it.

cba

Smash Master
I do not have much experience in this matchup except in Wifi and offline doubles...
even in Wifi i could space and punish a Wario.

but then again, its wifi.

55-45 ZSS or Maybe even 60-40.

And PhantomX, apologies, im gonna have to cancel the MM cause im gonna travel May 7th.
how gay is that?

i know, i think im not coming back till like Sept.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
I do not have much experience in this matchup except in Wifi and offline doubles...
even in Wifi i could space and punish a Wario.

but then again, its wifi.

55-45 ZSS or Maybe even 60-40.

And PhantomX, apologies, im gonna have to cancel the MM cause im gonna travel May 7th.
how gay is that?

i know, i think im not coming back till like Sept.
omggay :(

And on WiFi Wario's best matchup is like 30:70.

canthandletheSpeculosity

Smash Journeyman
Wario is so hard on wifi OMG. ZSS w/o spacing (not meaning side b) is a tragedy. Even though it's wifi and im FULLY aware of the differences between online and offline, I can still say that when ZSS spaces her uairs correctly she may have a SLIGHT advantage over wario in the air if the player is able to punish his airdodges since her aerial speed and height can let her follow wario in the air while still staying in uair toe range.

So whenever wario is in the air make sure to use all your aerials at the tip of her feet or else his attacks will outprio yours. Oh, and wario punishes spotdodges like a mother****er so keep moving, you probably dont want to be standing still too much in the matchup.

noradseven

Smash Lord
I have played a couple of warios before at tournies, I am not aware of the skill level of the players, but ZSS handedly wins the priority fight but Wario, can kill us quickly very quickly, its probably pretty close overall I would need to play the match more and against some better people, but I would place in slightly in ZSS's advantage, but it seems to be more of a who is a better player match.

Also matchups arn't what one character can do to another THIS IS ONE OF THE REASONS WHY OTHER FIGHTING GAME COMMUNITIES HATE YOU. Its about what the average win loss ratio between the best playing X character vs the best playing Y character, being able to do Z to a character doesn't matter that much if they can just use something else just as effective or bait it easily.

sasook

Smash Champion
Phantom we should MM at Apex. I'll only be there for day one though :(
KirinBlaze, a Mario/Link main, wanted in for Phoenix Era. He's going to Apex, maybe you'll meet him there. Just a heads up for you.

@norad - I didn't mean simply one move. I meant overall, what the characters can do to each other.

For instance, look at Falco. A Falco who CGs properly can't be escaped via flip jump. This is an advantage he has over us. It has nothing to do with the players, or who wins what how often, it just shows what a character can do to another character. ___ CAN do this, and so-and-so CAN do that. Not saying it's an instant win-all, lose-all, I'm just saying what characters CAN do to each other is what determines a matchup.

noradseven

Smash Lord
KirinBlaze, a Mario/Link main, wanted in for Phoenix Era. He's going to Apex, maybe you'll meet him there. Just a heads up for you.

@norad - I didn't mean simply one move. I meant overall, what the characters can do to each other.

For instance, look at Falco. A Falco who CGs properly can't be escaped via flip jump. This is an advantage he has over us. It has nothing to do with the players, or who wins what how often, it just shows what a character can do to another character. ___ CAN do this, and so-and-so CAN do that. Not saying it's an instant win-all, lose-all, I'm just saying what characters CAN do to each other is what determines a matchup.
I meant tourney results based off the top couple players of each character not theory fighter. Sometimes characters win for very subtle things.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Phantom we should MM at Apex. I'll only be there for day one though :(
DAAAAAANG. DONE! I heard you never used ZSS against Warios in trny :D 5 dollars I presume? I wont enter melee so I should have time for friendlies/MM. Plus, if I somehow manage to beat you and Shadow I can brag that I just wrecked your family :p

Snakeee

Smash Master
DAAAAAANG. DONE! I heard you never used ZSS against Warios in trny :D 5 dollars I presume? I wont enter melee so I should have time for friendlies/MM. Plus, if I somehow manage to beat you and Shadow I can brag that I just wrecked your family :p
lol I've used her for the match up the majority of the time. And should be fun

Zero

Smash Hero
Well, discussion has kind of stopped, so I feel it's time we settled and moved on. For our next discussion, I think Diddy Kong should be the topic, as he gives a lot of us less experienced people a lot of trouble.

@norad: Who cares if other fighting game communities "hate" us? If they really do hate us for something as trivial as doing something a different, yet legitimate way to them, then it's their problem, not ours. Considering each character's options for each and every one of the opponent character's options isn't a foolish or silly thing to do, and it establishes grounds for the tier lists, and tier list development. Rather than just player performance, which is not easily quantified.

In final, to sum up the Wario matchup, I've written my synopsis. I hope to spend the next day gathering corrections and additions so we can move on to the next matchup.

Pros:
  • Superior ground game
  • More reliable killing moves, with bair, uair and side B much easier to connect than with Wario’s uair, fsmash and waft.
  • Uair out prioritises his dair (unqualified)
Cons:
  • Slower horizontally in the air
  • Weaker grab game
  • Medium difference in survivability
Final Verdict: I say 55:45 in ZSS favour, easily debatable for a 50:50, but I don't see how it's in Wario's favour.

Matchup Advice:

• Game Plan:
    Press your advantage in the medium range and in the air. Punish baits or shielded smashes with your killer moves, lest they be in the right percentage range, else grab to whatever aerial takes your fancy. Be wary during the second minute of the game, where they will be trying to take an early stock with their mid-charged waft.

• Suitpiece Strategy:
    Wario will most likely negate any potential advantage with hasty throwers by biting them into nonexistence. General suitpiece gameplay will suffice, but always be wary of bite. The lag upon eating an item isn’t so significant as to punish, but you can attempt to glidetoss to quickly approach.

• Long Range:
    Apart from the slight possibility of Wario biking towards you, neither character can do anything from long range.

• Medium Range:
    ZSS definitely has the advantage here, however it can quickly be reduced by failing to space or to pursue an inadequate manoeuvre. Well spaced Side-B’s will keep the pressure on Wario’s shield. However, in the air, be wary of Wario’s airdodge, his aerial speed can close the gap very quickly and punish bad spacing if applied. Sporadic use of the paralyser will continue the pressure and may give you the opportunity to approach, however the bike shield will come into use if used predictably (charging may not be as effective in this matchup). To comment on the bike, however, it may not be used as often as it will be 100% necessary for Wario to use in his recovery. If he does use his bike, keeping him away from destroying it while constantly pressuring him off the stage could lead to early (relative) KO’s. Dsmash, spaced well, is effective shield pressuring and if landed, can result in a grab released fair/nair/uair/bair. Pummel during grab once or twice to freshen up moves, but you don’t need me to tell you that. However, that being said, Dsmash will be tricky to land, as for most of the time, Wario should be in the air pursuing you, above the Dsmashable zone. You cannot grab Wario at the peak of his SH, but you can at any other time during it. Coincidentally, you cannot dsmash him at the peak, but you can at anytime else. Therefore dsmashing Wario at anytime during his SH leads to double dsmash -> grab release fair.

• Close Range:
    Wario will be fighting vigorously to reach the close range, and it will most probably happen, despite the effectiveness of your mid range mixups. Your OOS options consist mostly of jab, utilt and ftilt, which are only just faster than his options. Jab may result in eating a fsmash, so use it conservatively. Baiting the fsmash and pivot dsmashing is potentially useful. (pretty sure it’ll work, not confirmed though so yeah). Speaking of punishing, you can definitely punish any shielded fsmash’s or dsmash’s, and expect them at around 90-100% damage. Your kills will be either in punishing whiffed or blocked smashes or in the air. If Wario manages to approach you, do not let him so close as to be in clap range. The clap hitbox is Wario’s entire body, and is one of his major kill moves. Excessive spacing should always put you in a better position than him, however. Try your best to get Wario in the air, above you, as this is always your realm. Wario will win a prolonged boxing match due to a superior shieldgrab and brute force, however if your utilt isn’t shielded then you should be able to retreat and consolidate. A worthy element to note is your force tripping ftilt. If you trip Wario at lower percentages, Wario’s options are limited. Rolling backwards away from ZSS will result in an inescapable grab, whereas the getup attack, standard getup and rolling forwards towards ZSS will eat a dsmash, slightly charged. Dsmashing from 0-40% remains a safe option, but a situational advantage nonetheless. (needs further testing). So all that remains is…the Wario Waft. My advice is to pay attention to the clock. Within the first minute of the game, they won’t waft. You better be watching out at about 1:30 in, the horizontal knockback is at its peak around here and will kill you ridiculously early. If you predict it, expect it, and are willing to risk it, you can interrupt with your 1 frame jab, as the second stage of charge comes out in 5 frames, but I believe that it is way too risky and being a stock behind because of a well-timed waft is not something you want happening. Be wary during the 1 minute to 2 minute stage, as they are most likely looking for the perfect opportunity to waft here, where you “aren’t expecting it”. At two minutes onwards, play extremely carefully; try your absolute hardest to get to your medium range play, where you can press your advantages.

• In the air:
    You definitely have the advantage below Wario, with your uair outprioritising his most favoured attack, dair (Snakeee’s word). However, Wario can quickly reverse this position with a well-timed airdodge, putting you in danger of a fresh clap. Nair is a quick option, coming out in 4 frames with a second hitbox not too much sooner. I’m pretty sure uair beats out all of his aerials, so it’s a matter of him not airdodging. Using upB to force the airdodge followed by aerials sounds reasonable. You want Wario to be above you, not below.

• When Wario is Recovering:
    Wario will try to recover high, as he doesn’t want to rely on his subpar upB. If you take his bike out of the recovery equation, it means almost certain death. Therefore, if he carelessly abandons it, or if you can force him off with well timed and spaced side B’s, press your advantage, proceeding to push him off the stage. Simply knocking him a fair distance away from the stage will kill him without his bike to boost his jump. With the bike in use, trying to predict where he will detach and hitting him away will result in the stock. Don’t rely on gimps to win this match, he is a tough character to gimp, but taking his bike away is the most effective way. Try not to destroy the bike while acting aggressively, as well.

• When ZSS is Recovering:
    Unlike Wario, he cannot remove our extra recovery tools. However, he can do the second best thing with his fair and negate its use. This will occur if you use it too low or too often off the edge. Wario will also use his bike as a creative edgeguard, throwing it off the stage, most likely as you tether and fall downwards. If he throws it at you without you initiating a tether, downB footstool it and recover safely. You want to save your downB if he has a bike out, or even when he doesn’t, as it is fairly fast and will kill you if you mess up.

• Matchup Unique Information:
    These matches will be long. Wario is the master of aircamping and will be relentlessly trying to break into your wall of side B’s, neutral B’s and the constant threat of the aerial barrage.

Counterpick Advice:
  • Stages to Counter-pick:
    Wario generally does well on stages that we do well on, namely Rainbow Cruise, Brinstar and Battlefield. You want to avoid Battlefield for the most part, as the platforms assist his killing power greatly, while only helping your spacing and juggling game. As he will be living longer than you, you cannot afford to be killed early by claps and especially wafts. He doesn’t do particularly well on Final Destination, and would be an ideal location for your spacing shenanigans. Lylat Cruise is a similar stage, but would be a much more even stage than FD. I suggest a stage that you are most comfortable on, as the stage will be only a small factor. Unless the stage is FD.

• Stages to Avoid:
    Smashville is much too cramped for the excessive spacing that you will need to use to win in this match. Unless you were extremely comfortable with Battlefield, I would not recommend it as a CP as it does accentuate Wario’s major downfall in this matchup, the reliability of his kill moves.

Wario Contributors:
PhantomX
Morphed_Chaos
Dr.mario.guy

Yeah, tl;dr, etc, but please read and give your thoughts to it's accuracy. All information was gotten from this thread, Wario boards information, including frame data and stage discussion, a little testing (it's hard to do it without 4 hands :\) and a bit of thinking on my behalf. Methinks that's where I'll go wrong lol.

Kaitou Ace

Smash Apprentice
Just to add onto that, I would say that it's best to not string combos on Wario like we usually can with other characters because of Waft. It is deadly, especially after that specific amount of time (32 seconds?). If not for his waft, dair is something that can rack up damage easily.

ZSS needs to adjust her playstyle just slightly with Wario because his airgame can definitely contend with ours. For example, if you try to follow up with a dthrow, try to uair once and FF back to the stage to set up a new combo or safely hyphen Usmash if the opportunity presents itself. Always maintain a large distance. This is very annoying for Wario.

Edit: Even if our uair outproritizes, Wario is great at aircamping and movement so he probably will catch you in the end lag.

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
Just to add onto that, I would say that it's best to not string combos on Wario like we usually can with other characters because of Waft. It is deadly, especially after that specific amount of time (32 seconds?). If not for his waft, dair is something that can rack up damage easily.
I was playing against a Wario a couple weeks ago, and from the timing his little brother was shouting out it seemed as though it was about 1 minute 30 seconds. But who knows, I could be wrong.

Kaitou Ace

Smash Apprentice
I was playing against a Wario a couple weeks ago, and from the timing his little brother was shouting out it seemed as though it was about 1 minute 30 seconds. But who knows, I could be wrong.
I think 1:30 is the time to charge a fully charged Waft. A fully charged Waft has good knockback and sends Wario really far up which some Warios use for a recovery alternative. However, I heard that after sometime there's a Waft with medicore distance but greater knockback than the fully charged one. I think so, anyway. I'll look into it.

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
I think 1:30 is the time to charge a fully charged Waft. A fully charged Waft has good knockback and sends Wario really far up which some Warios use for a recovery alternative. However, I heard that after sometime there's a Waft with medicore distance but greater knockback than the fully charged one. I think so, anyway. I'll look into it.
Ok, I thought you were referring to a fully charged one.

FadedImage

Smash Journeyman
uhh, last I heard there's three stages of waft,

0:00 - 0:59 = weak waft (I think there's actually multiple weak ones but who cares)
1:00 - 1:59 = strong KB medium damage (this is the one to worry about, it can KO easy at >50%)
2:00 - xxx = medium KB huge damage (30+) (can be bad if you are on a new stock, and not worrying about KO, but getting a ****load of damage)

that's just from common knowledge though, dunno if it's legit, check Wario forums or something.

here we go:
MorphedChaos's Wario Guide said:
Charge Level Zero (about 0:00 – 0:17): Trips on Frame 16 (no damage)
Charge Level One (about 0:17 – 0:57): Frame 10
Charge Level Two (about 0:57 – 1:50): Frame 5
Charge Level Three (Full Charge): Frame 9 (Super Armor Frames 5-10)
Knockback:
Charge Time…..Mario KO% (at the center of FD with no DI)
0:56…..………..187 (Useless)
0:58…..………..98
1:00…..………..95
1:05…..………..92
1:10…..………..85
1:15…..………..81
1:20…..………..76
1:25…..………..72
1:30…..………..67
1:35…..………..62
1:40…..………..60
1:45…..………..55
1:50…..………..52
Full…..………...96
Full Charge: from startup of any Waft to Full Charge = 6697 frames (1:51.729 seconds) (copied word form word 3GOD)

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
The Waft inbetween 0:58 and 1:50 increases knockback and damage with each second. So, a Waft that connects at 1:20 would be weaker than one that hits at say 1:40.

Also the Full Waft does 42% fresh when you hit with the beginning of it (the knockback usually isn't enough to kill someone even at around 110% depending on where you are on the stage), once Wario starts to rise it does about half the damage but sends them vertically very high (Can kill early like the half Wafts).

noradseven

Smash Lord
I think the wafe is wario's ace in hole if he connects one at a good percentage he can turn the game around otherwise against 2 evenly skilled both master players I think he will lose.

Hmmm its nice to know it doesn't kill us until ~90% of a full charge, this is important because I think the most annoying part of the wafe is the fear and if I don't have to fear instant death at 75% from wafe then Ill be a much happier person.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I think the wafe is wario's ace in hole if he connects one at a good percentage he can turn the game around otherwise against 2 evenly skilled both master players I think he will lose.

Hmmm its nice to know it doesn't kill us until ~90% of a full charge, this is important because I think the most annoying part of the wafe is the fear and if I don't have to fear instant death at 75% from wafe then Ill be a much happier person.
It can kill after half of it's charge lol. It just gets stronger every second past that point, except the Full Waft which doesn't kill as well but does more damage.

If you cannot DI it well (kinda hard sometimes to react to a 5 frame move) it can easily kill at 50-60% on the edge. With really good DI she can live till about 80% against the weaker ones, the stronger ones will kill her sooner from the edge.

Snakeee

Smash Master
I'd say this match up is about even now. At least that's the impression I'm left with after playing some friendlies with PhantomX today. I hadn't played too many Warios as of late until now.

Obviously I can't judge a match up just by a few friendlies with one person, but I have played other top Wario players and this was a good refresher for the match up for me.

noradseven

Smash Lord
It can kill after half of it's charge lol. It just gets stronger every second past that point, except the Full Waft which doesn't kill as well but does more damage.

If you cannot DI it well (kinda hard sometimes to react to a 5 frame move) it can easily kill at 50-60% on the edge. With really good DI she can live till about 80% against the weaker ones, the stronger ones will kill her sooner from the edge.
Yeah thats what I meant but with an active clock on the top for timing, you can tell what strength it is and, I can turtle for 30-40 seconds pretty easily, to get past the danger zone. But yeah I think without wafe its 5.5:4.5 or 6:4 ZSS but with the wafe, and fear of wafe Its probably more even is what I was getting at.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
I agree with Snakeee. Side-B is actually deceptively safe if you use it while jumping offstage. Upair is less useful than he'd said, as I was sure it would be, and the entire jab combo is not that incredibly useful b/c you can DI it down into a grab. She can still run hard and space well, and it's super hard to gimp her if the player is careful (lol, first round against Snakeee <3 Don't chase a Wario offstage ;)). We can punish flip kick quite easily as we cover distance faster than it does. Your ftilt is gay. That's all I got.

Snakeee

Smash Master
I agree with Snakeee. Side-B is actually deceptively safe if you use it while jumping offstage. Upair is less useful than he'd said, as I was sure it would be, and the entire jab combo is not that incredibly useful b/c you can DI it down into a grab. She can still run hard and space well, and it's super hard to gimp her if the player is careful (lol, first round against Snakeee <3 Don't chase a Wario offstage ;)). We can punish flip kick quite easily as we cover distance faster than it does. Your ftilt is gay. That's all I got.
Basically, except up air IS amazing against him. I just wasn't using it as well as usual. I was playing more friendlies against my brother, and he stole quite a bit from you lol. However, up air was my most depended upon move in the games.
All of sudden he is ridiculous with Wario, and we go about even in the match up I'd say

Wenis of Lore

Smash Cadet
i'm not sure if this thread is dead/dying, but i'm having a lot of trouble with ZSS against zelda as well as some trouble with diddy kong. go ahead and put me in my place if need be, but i need some battle advice please. THANKS

Top Bottom