• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oh? Did I win? - An in-depth Matchup Analysis - Updated!

Metatitan

Smash Master
We should probably discuss one matchup at a time to keep some organization. I noticed some misguiding info on the marth MU (Dair being used on his shield I believe) but the majority should pick what MU to discuss first. But please no more discussion on mk, we all know how well those end up.

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
The problem with MK discussions is that none of us are even close to as good as we need to be vs MK. As of now, MK can completely shut down Peach with our current knowledge of the match-up. And Dark's MK write-up isn't even bad but it just rly underestimates MK's options and capabilities. We need to practice this and get a lot more.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
I like to stay mid-ranged vs MK w/ a turnip in hand because then I can punish a tornado attempt or fair approach w/ an OOS turnip. If he starts to dash towards you for a grab, a turnip should hit him during his dashing animation. It also is a pretty commanding position IMO. Jab is also great to use vs MK to keep him out of range and punish mistakes.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
I like to stay mid-ranged vs MK w/ a turnip in hand because then I can punish a tornado attempt or fair approach w/ an OOS turnip.
This is bad. You seriously limit your options vs Meta Knight doing this and make it easier for him to punish you. You won't be able to punish a tornado ( Unless you are good at going for three pointers) You gonna get sucked in. And meta will swat the tornip and then hit you at the same time with his Fair.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
This is bad.
No it isn't

If you're shielding the Tornado, MK will either try and shield poke you and end up landing next to you or running away. If he stays close, you can OoS punish him with the Turnip

As for Fair, it can't swat it out. Iirc, MK's Fair has transcendant priority so it won't actually stop the Turnip. You can either throw it at him during Fair so it hits him and he won't catch it. If you're shielding the Fair, then OoS Turnip is, as far as I'm aware, guaranteed to hit because of the ending lag and MK's slow horizontal movement speed that doesn't allow him to get away in time. Fast falling the Fair just makes him lag and allows you to punish

Seriously, Turnips and OoS Turnips are the way to go vs MK. Even if you don't have a Turnip, you can use the sliding shield tactic in an attempt to force him to misspace and you can even Jab him Oos after Fair

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
Oh Gadiel, Dark is right actually. I don't know what he's getting at though but that train of thought is too linear. Turnips are slow, MK can shield, MK can nado on reaction, or Up B, or space glide atk or use glide atk mindgames or insta catch throw, or dtilt your shield as the turnip is in hand, or dair camp you, or dair to nado and any nados don't even have to be landed near you. Gotta think about it all. You called it MK's fair "approach". Naaah, you're not gettin approached like that til you actually take to the air coz they know fair on shield is bad and if you take to the air you shud prob expect upb or nado.

MetalMusicMan

Sleepwalk our lives away.
This is an impressively detailed guide. Nicole, I didn't know you cared so much :p

On the DeDeDe section-- Marth and Peach are two of the hardest characters for DeDeDe to chain grab though. They definitely aren't the easiest. Easy would be DK, Bowser, Snake, DeDeDe, Wolf, etc. etc. etc.

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=8112043&postcount=4 said:
******** Difficulty (3 Grabs Max):

* Luigi

VERY HARD Difficulty (4 Grabs Max):

* Diddy Kong
* Toon Link
* Pit

HARD Difficulty (4-5 Grabs)

* Peach
* Ice Climbers (Solo Popo or SoPo)
* Marth

AVERAGE Difficulty (5-6 Grabs)

* Mario
* Yoshi
* Wario
* Link
* Gannondorf
* Samus
* R.O.B.
* King Dedede
* Wolf
* Captain Falcon
* Ivysaur
* Charizard
* Lucario
* Ike
* Ness
* Lucas
* Snake
* Sonic

VERY EASY Difficulty (6+ Grabs!)

* Bowser
* Donkey Kong

The Falco section seems really well done, although I'm not sure what this means:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=270263 said:
...if you see him Up-B to the stage, go in there and told him of you can.

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
methinks i'll stop being lazy and get a snake write-up to u l8r nicole. i took the trouble to dig up the thread and bump it, so gotta commit to the dreaded follow-through. @_@

edit: love the olimar write-up btw. learned good stuffz

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
NNID
RicardoAvocado
I'd really like to see the Snake write up cause its not a match up I get to practice often :p

And Dark, I was talking about using the Turnips OoS afterMK's attack, I'm not entirely sure if you meant before or after. Mine and your perception of 'mid range' is probably different though

If you're sat there reasonably close to MK in your shield when he's doing nothing then yea thats a horribly bad idea because you're stuck in your shield and he's at liberty to do whatever he likes. If he throws an attack out, then you can shield and punish it afterwards with a Turnip

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
^^^
That's where I was getting @. I respect Raz & Dark's opinions though. I know Raz gets to play w/ the Socal top MK mains so I'm sure he knows what's up.

*So what is Peach supposed to do @ mid-range to punish MK?

*When is it a good time to use turnips OOS?

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
turnip oos is cool, but u can't plan for them to hit your shield. hitting shields is bad, every1 knows it so you can't rely on it haha

Nicole

Smash Champion
wow i go camping for a couple days and people actually post here. :p

i agree about mk, dark's guide is a good guide, but no one is good enough against mk yet. however, i do think that following that writeup will make your matches with mk significantly better. i dont usually lose to mks, but i haven't gotten to play any great ones yet. dj iskascribbles beat me, which i didnt expect, and i really wanted to play seibrik but friendlies at mlg ended before i could. i dont know that turnips are necessary at all times...i'd have to play against good mk's more. spacing, ftlit, and jab seem more important. and staying alive and out of the air. its tough to kill mk before he kills you.

@ will, i didnt write most of these writeups, i just organized the info and put in a couple thoughts of my own throughout. i only did the olimar matchup so far. also, i'm pretty sure the "told" should be "toad" in that sentence you quoted.

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
Ok, we need to stop letting this thread die.

Instead of just not saying anything i think we all should just offer what we know and talk and correct each other or offer new ideas.

It's ******** that we have this kind of thread get no posts in a week and a half but the SD is full of garbage. I know it's a cool place but it's does nothing to develop Peach at all so at the very least try to drop a posts in any useful threads around here (vid thread, critique thread, this thread, mu threads, combo threads, etc.).

If we don't shape up peach's development is just gonna stagnate or at least she will for the majority of the community.

Just share what you know or think you know!

I'll try not to be a hypocrite and think of what i can offer later tonight or sumtin.

Airgemini

Chansey
Safari Zone. Shiny, and holding a Lucky Egg.
3DS FC
2406-5625-4787
It's ******** that we have this kind of thread get no posts in a week and a half but the SD is full of garbage. I know it's a cool place but it's does nothing to develop Peach at all so at the very least try to drop a posts in any useful threads around here (vid thread, critique thread, this thread, mu threads, combo threads, etc.).

If we don't shape up peach's development is just gonna stagnate or at least she will for the majority of the community.
Wholeheartedly agree.

Nicole

Smash Champion
i'll finish updating everything sometime next week. i have a tournament this weekend and atomsk is staying at my place for a couple days, so when that's done i'll take care of business.

thanks for the help raz :)

C.S. Dinah

Smash Champion
If you guys ever write up a Ness Synopsis. Its Possible to nair him out of PKT2. I wouldnt recommend doing that at point black range.

Nicole

Smash Champion
Totally updated with all information that anyone/everyone has given me!

give me more matchups please!!!

we really need WARIO, DIDDY, GAME & WATCH, and TOON LINK if anyone knows those well.

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
i don't think it's rly that simple to beat wario. i doubt it's as easy as prax makes it sound b/c i just played futile in a set and it was pretty fkn hard haha. wario is so hard to hit that he'll almost always get his fart charged up and he can edgeguard peach pretty well. he cud also go above or below bair n stuff.

iono, still pch's favor but it's hard still

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
NNID
RicardoAvocado
i don't think it's rly that simple to beat wario. i doubt it's as easy as prax makes it sound b/c i just played futile in a set and it was pretty fkn hard haha. wario is so hard to hit that he'll almost always get his fart charged up and he can edgeguard peach pretty well. he cud also go above or below bair n stuff.

iono, still pch's favor but it's hard still
It isn't that simple and yea its a lot harder than Praxis makes out but Bair, Fair and Dair (the first two moreso) are absolutely crucial when fighting Wario

Traditionally, Peach's ground game combats other peoples airgame but that doesn't work vs Wario cause he can simply weave in and out of your ground game and punish you

If he goes above your Bair/Fair then jump out of the way (or do a double jump Bair) or just get back on the ground and Tilt him. If he goes below, there's a chance he'll go for a grab which is where Dair comes in handy because you can Float over his head and poke his shield a bit

Its ironic - Wario's grab is pretty huge and can wreck Peach if she's not careful and yet Peach can kill Wario at around 90% from getting a single grab. Lolz

Nicole

Smash Champion
i think wario is a matchup that you need to play alot in order to get used to his strange aerial movement. it also seems to me that there are two major styles of wario players - campy or pretty aggressive. i actually think the aggressive kind are harder to deal with...for peach, anyway. i have very little experience against wario and i do struggle quite a bit against him. i usually just try to play extremely safe and never go for anything risky. this ends up in him not getting killed until...200 something.

but yeah, it's stupid to just say 'oh, well, bair beats wario.' because if that were the case, snake could just say 'oh, utilt beats peach,' and marth could say 'oh, sword beats peach.' players can get around a few obstacles - good warios will get around one move. bair is definitely great against him, but there are definitely many aspects to that matchup.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
Such a good thread.
For some reason I don't have any problems against Falcos though o_O

Silly Kyle

Smash Champion
I played Furiousduffman from TX and he used his Falco on me. I destroyed it pretty hard, but I had way more trouble against his G&W :( What a dumb matchup! lol

I would love to help write some guides...

Nicole

Smash Champion
well kyle, you are pretty good at the diddy matchup i hear. if you wanted to do a write-up, we definitely need one about him pretty badly, considering what a good and common character he is, and considering how annoying his bananas and fair can be.

z00ted

Texas is like Diddy central.
If Kyle doesn't write a matchup-analysis on Diddy I definitely will.
(Fliphop, Gnes experience)

MKOwnage

Smash Journeyman
I dont seem to think that the MK matchup is as hard as most Peach players make it out to be. (I think its 55:45 MK's favor of course IMO.)

Lucario is my pet peeve.

Good read though.

And as for Diddy I advise lots of Dair camping. Its not a good idea to be on stage with nanners.

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
I dont seem to think that the MK matchup is as hard as most Peach players make it out to be. (I think its 55:45 MK's favor of course IMO.)

Lucario is my pet peeve.

Good read though.

And as for Diddy I advise lots of Dair camping. Its not a good idea to be on stage with nanners.

Dair camping is asking for a Fair.

It somehow is a good idea to be on stage with the bananaz... but it also isnt. This match-up is so strange. I can handle Diddy Kong easily but I cant handle his bananas at all.

:052:

MKOwnage

Smash Journeyman

It somehow is a good idea to be on stage with the bananaz... but it also isnt. This match-up is so strange. I can handle Diddy Kong easily but I cant handle his bananas at all.

All I know is when he is jet pack recovering turnips are a god send.

z00ted

It IS quite lower.
I don't know how anyone could say its 45:55 :/

Razmakazi

Smash Champion

b/c dair camping is asking for a fair, spacing it carefully can easily bait one and make diddy miss so u can punish with your own fair or dair or whatever. ;o

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
The best advice I ever got against Diddy and his bananas was to make him work for them.

Grab one and put it behind you. Get between him and his best tool. If you can, take the other and hold it.

Top Bottom