• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oklahoma Monthlies (Melee, Brawl, AH3) 4/30/11

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
Irish I responded to you in the Oklahoma Thread. In general I agree with Dual Cats.

TL:DR though, this is whats best for everyone including smashers, you don't have to participate n the side tournaments, but we can't run a monthly for every game that is every released, thats impossible to manage.

po pimpus

Smash Ace
I totally agree with Forest here. Everyone always complains about how small the scene is, and how it never grows... How can it grow when you constantly shun and exclude anything(and anyone) that isn't 100% Smash?

You can't be the best if there's no competition to beat, and you can't compete without opponents with varied styles and techniques. Some of the best players in the world play MORE THAN ONE game.

Justin Wong is a master of various Capcom titles, not just Marvel or SSFIV. Heart Nana is such a beast because he plays every Neko-Desu-Kawaii-Anime-Airdash-Japanese-niche fighter out there, from Arcana to BlazBlue, all the way to Guilty Gear. Get this--Some of the best Smash players are very good at games that aren't Smash, wether its Neo and his love of SF, or Gimpyfish... Hell, it's practically REQUIRED to be good at more than one game in New York.

You guys need to stop being so close minded and expand your horizons. You might pick up some new skills and I don't know, actually IMPROVE... (He's gonna kill me for saying this) Next time you see him, just observe Chris for a minute or two while he's playing Smash. He's ****ing BORED OUT OF HIS MIND because no one is challenging him. He had to switch to friggin' LINK just to keep his mind occupied, because him going all out with Marth or Peach and maybe Fox is too much for this weak *** community.

He's playing other games because Smash is no longer fun... He has nothing left to learn from us. That's how bad you all are. Instead of *****ing about other games being included, how about you try them out, and maybe learn some new **** that will translate to Smash.
I mean, damn, if my old lazy *** can still keep up with the lot of you, maybe you all need a new approach?

BTW, I play games other than Smash too... Hmm, is that a point Po is making...?

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
When I went on my Marvel 3 tear, I didn't play smash for a week. When I came back cats immediately said "wow i think your techskill has improved since you've started playing marvel"

I worked so hard to cope with the ******** frame data in that game and pay clos attention to the animations that it really help my with melee.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
You guys need to stop being so close minded and expand your horizons. You might pick up some new skills and I don't know, actually IMPROVE... (He's gonna kill me for saying this) Next time you see him, just observe Chris for a minute or two while he's playing Smash. He's ****ing BORED OUT OF HIS MIND because no one is challenging him. He had to switch to friggin' LINK just to keep his mind occupied, because him going all out with Marth or Peach and maybe Fox is too much for this weak *** community.

He's playing other games because Smash is no longer fun... He has nothing left to learn from us. That's how bad you all are. Instead of *****ing about other games being included, how about you try them out, and maybe learn some new **** that will translate to Smash.
Dude, don't lump us into this category cause I'm not about to take that **** from nobody. I think Bryan, Andy, Karl, Alex, and I are all capable of challenging Chris, and if you don't think so, ask him yourself.

Also, I've yet to see anything new you've learned that translates towards you getting an extra stock off of me. Real talk.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Good cause we need a fox in ok lol

Also its not motivational if its from someone who never shows and only talks with nothing to back it. Thats just disrespect.

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
You mean in order for him to fight over our money with alex?

If I were chris and alex I'd donate some of your winnings to the good players fund if you keep taking it every month.

Snap Snap Wink Wink Nudge Nudge say no more say no more!

DualCats

Smash Ace
When I win all the subsequent monthlies, that's what I'll do. :troll:

my wife likes photographs

3DS FC
5301-0744-1149
im just sayin (remember this is based off of wat po said not chris) if ur tired of beating us cuz we are not the best then... isnt the universal way of getting better is to play the best?

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
You can't just tank to them though. You have to learn from your matchup experience with them. I don't play chris enough to know, but I played Po a fair amount at that smashfest last december and I went from being 3 stocked everytime to 2 stocking him every time. He coached me through the matchup and I learned alot.

With all the experience Chris and Alex have on us, we won't get better just by giving them our money every month, we really have to try and absorb whats going on in the matches. I was talking to Spaceballs about fighting Iori the other day, he was telling me that Iori beats him with every single character in the game, and that he loves that, because the amount of things he learns about the game is probably alot higher than most crews can even fathom reaching. We dont' have a player that wins with every character, so I'm hoping to get some good spacies and mid-tiers interested. e should be trying to bring in new blood and travel more to improve as well as playing the best players around.

The truth is, Chris is bored. He's been telling us how bored he is with Peach for a year now. Until recently I only saw chris like twice a year since like 2004 so I don't know him as well as you guys, but you know I tend to agree with Po. He played Melty Blood hardcore and went to evo and placed like 13th out of 120 while we piddled around and sucked at the game and played Brawl. When he came back, yeah Alex, Gravity, and Bryan can all challenge him, but his heart isn't in it like it used to be, also they have all improved dramatically. Lets all get better, and if other games are around the more the merrier.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Honestly, most of our problem was we smoked a lot of weed and had fun instead of trying to get better.

Now that we're serious, we'll get better.

Also, I really want every melee smashfest to have brawl included. No discrimination from anyone cause that's just a stupid way to kill half of the Norman smash community.

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
I've always welcomed Brawl at my smashfests! Everyone here knows that. Its just hard to get people interested in Brawl. Chozo and Sonic have been playing regularly, I'd love to see them join us!

Also, there isn't any reason weed keeps you from getting better if utilized correctly. I used to smoke weed and practice by myself.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
lol I"m not about to get into a debate over whether or not herb powers you up or down. All I know is I want some.

HOLLA

3DS FC
5301-0744-1149
we need to have more smashfest friendlies / get everyone together that doesnt involve fees and wat not. i dont like the fact that the only time certain people play is when there is a tourny or if money is involved. i mean i understand majority of OKC cant get to norman since its too far and thats cool. i just feel that the only time that we smash when its not WED is when there is prize money involved. we should have like a weekend set to where we all get together each sat or sun. and just smash :-)

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
we smash most saturdays dude. If someone in OKC will host that'd be great, otherwise I'm going to try and host more at my house i just need to clean it and my roomates won't help.
And you can't change whether people want to just play tournies or fest I guess, but at least they are playing tournies.

Zinth

Smash Apprentice
i main fox now. ask bryan how good it is.
Yeah, Alex's Fox is good. Like, when I played with Alex on Saturday, I took a few games off of his Sheik, including one where he didn't kill himself, but I don't think I ever beat his Fox, and if I did, it wasn't much. Also, his Luigi beat me on FD, so it can be done, Po.

You mean in order for him to fight over our money with alex?

If I were chris and alex I'd donate some of your winnings to the good players fund if you keep taking it every month.

Snap Snap Wink Wink Nudge Nudge say no more say no more!
Man, what is all of this about Chris fighting over our money with Alex? I took Chris's money at the OKGamers Tournament, and he's still playing Link as far as I know. Can't I get some credit, too? :V

Anyway, I think Alex is going to take our money fairly cleanly, at least for awhile.

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
as stated before, AM brackets don't work. there are a couple specific reasons why they will never work for the monthlies:

*our turnout is already small. if 16 people show up, who is going to have fun playing in 2 separate 8-man brackets? does anyone even get their money's worth that way?
*giving good players the choice between having fun matches or getting money is a pretty lame decision. it is much worse, though, for mid-level players. with the choice of playing better players and learning from their sets or earning their entrance fees back...unfortunately not a ton of people choose the former, hence our extremely long stagnation.
*my favorite quote from that is "Believe it or not but this actually does equal more entrants which equals more money." even though...this has never ever been tested for melee lulz. it's like...'all AM brackets have failed, and you might not see my logic, but it works.'
*someone always has to get last. i get the deterrence of matching up newbies with pros, and that's why i think a swiss system is a much much better alternative. people get last, and people come back. activity is not exclusive and linear to skill. a new player is likely to still get last in the AM bracket and then what may his or her thoughts be? "wow there are 2 brackets, i got last in the AM one!? i'm so bad." as Massive put it in that thread, "YOU SUCK IN AMATEUR BRACKET YOU SUCK FOR REAL." and i really don't see how this is more proactive in bringing in new players than running a normal bracket. the way i got into smash was being invited to a smashfest. what we need to do has been stated in the OK thread - invite new players to chill with us. i don't know people who show up to tournies and nothing else, and if we want to get new players into our scene we really just need to let them into our "gamer" clique for lack of a better term.
*who actually gets more money? not enough people to justify it. i actually don't care a lot about winnings. i've dropped so much money on this game both entering tournaments and TO'ing. for OHSNAP 2 i dropped over $350, $200 of which i did not earn back. smash is a hobby - bottom line. for those of us that care enough about it, we'll spend a parse amount of money every time a tournament shows up. no johns for people pretending not to have 20 bucks every 2 months. save it/put it aside! people will join our scene when they enjoy competitive smash as a hobby. if we try to bribe new players in with a whopping ~20-30 bucks, they're not going to be that interested. players earning the money will become frustrated when they get good enough to play in pro and are basically punished for it.

that's just my $0.02
i hope everyone can see my logic. the concept of an AM bracket itself is not conducive at all to competitive gaming, at least not for anything offline and over 1 day. AM leagues for 1.6/tf2/etc are obv in a completely different ballpark.

i do like this, though: I've been to chess tournaments that offer prizes to "biggest upset" or "best game." After the tournament have players vote on a poll what the best match played was and award the players with something.
we can definitely acknowledge new/mid-to-low level player's accomplishments without punishing the existing community/high level players in ways like this. although i think the hitlist already sort of does that. hitlist will be incorporated in may but i've got a lot to do for it, including getting prizes out of my own pocket. so...welcome to my world where even if i've gotten a lot better i am dropping my cash for the sake of the OK smash scene. quit *****ing, no johns, glhf :3

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
I like the idea of an ELO, but I don't think we have enough for that. If turnout were to become higher I would be more inclined to run a dead bracket for those eliminated in first 2 rounds, but for now I agree that there isn't room for amateur bracket. If in some fantasy land 8 people showed up that were total noobs, maybe they could run a $5 round robin on the side

I DO HAVE ACCESS TO SWAG from local sponsors. Just keychains, plushies, hats, wallscrolls and stuff like that. I WOULD be totally interested in rewarding players with this stuff for accomplishments like "Biggest upset" "best game" 'best first-time entrant" "most improvement since previous month" that sounds like a good solution that Hazy and I just synthesized!

Those four categories sound really conducive to not only getting people to stay or feeel like there are other things to be had, but also to get the newer people to get better, first time entrant prize gets new people to come back, and most improvement gets people to practice on their off time

Edit: Zinth is taking all the money!

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
I need to start tracking equipment and get a solid setup inventory.

Who can bring setups for what games?
Solidus: 1 Wii (melee/brawl) 1 gamecube, 1 Arcana Heart 3 PS3) 4 TVs (2 from HxC)
Hazy: 1 melee setup
Chozo: 1 Wii
Sonic: 1 Wii
Totals:
M=2
B=3
A=1
TV=5

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I've got a Wii + Brawl. I think I still have my Melee disc.

Let me know if we need additional Wiis+Brawl, and I can get my brother to haul his over.

KOS-MOS

Smash Journeyman
Why do people compare their skills to mine? I'm just like everybody else. I win some and lose some and regardless I have fun. I play Link now because he's fun. There have been times when I've played people (not necessarily smashers) and they get really discouraged and say stuff like "Man Chris, I don't think I can ever catch up to you, why am I so bad?"

Hearing stuff like that just makes me angry...just keep practicing and get better.

I just wanted to throw that out there. Its been bothering me for awhile.

Anyway, I can bring an AH3 setup and a melee setup.:)

Top Bottom