• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oklahoma Monthlies (Melee, Brawl, AH3) 4/30/11

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for bring setups Chris. Oh BTW I used to think I couldn't catch up with you back in like 2004, but like now I think I can. Hell I almost took you out of that crew battle at Alex in a peach ditto, and now I have some DoH practice!

I also had some legit wins in Marvel and AH3 so I know your not invincible, I like that theres a smasher that plays other fighters too. I still think you have analytical abilities that would take years for me to develop, like I can't just go into training and figure out combos, or easily see where the vulnerable recovery frames are after a pressure string, I can't figure out frame traps or even guess what kinda links exist in a game. I think thats the main hurtle to competing with you. I like Link in Project M alot, we should play the demo some more.

po pimpus

Smash Ace
Yo. I just looked at this thread after ignoring it for a few days... You guys REALLY think you are that much better than me? Seriously?! Like, out of everyone, if we were to just compare histories, I have just as many tournament WINS as many of the rest of you. Only Bryan/Chris/Alex/Tom/Hanson/maybe Yawara can say they've won more tournaments/had more wins overall than me. So don't jump up on a high horse because you THINK you're better, when in actuality we are equal in terms of skill.

Yes, Po Pimpus loses A LOT. So much so, that I invented the term 'Victory Cancel' because I start off great, and always mess it up in the end. How many times have I had you down 2-stock right off the bat, Bryan, only to let you back in for the win? Chris, how many times have I had a life lead and thrown it away, because I wanted to finish you with a big flashy combo?

See, I know my limits and my weaknesses and am willing to admit such. I'm glad Forest mentioned how much better he got against me BECAUSE I TAUGHT HIM STUFF. I showed him what he was doing wrong, and he improved. He didn't throw a big baby fit and call me a noob, or talk about how much I lose, he manned up, saw what he was doing wrong, and FIXED it like any aspiring player should.

"You don't have to be good in order to know HOW to be good."
I tell you things you don't want to hear, but need to hear... and while I may rub people the wrong way sometimes, I never do anything with malicious intent. I only want EVERYONE to 'Get Better, Noob,' and stop making excuses as to why they can't win. -Chris 'KOS-MOS, aka Hot-Garbage' Cade

'I beat Chris this one time'
Yeah, and I can take out a sleeping Mewtwo with a Bidoof in Pokemon. Your point? Beating someone with one hand tied behind their back isn't really anything I'd be bragging about. So you beat Chris in a friendly one time when he was goofing off/learning a new trick... Congratulations. A Winner Is You.
Sorry for dragging your name into things, Chris, but it seems like mentioning you is the only way to inspire people to reach farther.

As far as me never showing to anything:
First, I have a job that requires me to work mostly weekends. When are most Smashfests/Tournaments held? Right.
Whenever I do show, it's always the same handful of peeps... I never see certain people anymore, but they wanna talk ****? Why didn't any of you without legitimate johns show up to the friggin' monthly yesterday?!

Second, I have traveled farther/played in bigger events than almost everyone else. Only Chris and Alex have played more top-level players than me in Oklahoma. How many of you have played Ken(TWICE), M2K, Cactuar, DSF, Captain Jack, Isai, Wes, KillaOR, Forward, Taj, KoreanDJ, Cort, Husband, Wife, Tink, all of DBR, Drephen IN TOURNAMENT SETS? That's not even everyone, just who I could remember off the top of my head.

Third, yeah, I don't win all that often, BUT DID YOU SEE THAT LIST OF PEOPLE I HAD TO PLAY IN TOURNAMENT? Yeah, I'd like to see any of you get farther than pools/first/second round going up against that caliber of talent. Don't talk down to me about 'winning'... I've learned more getting my **** pushed in by those legends than any of you have by stomping on 'LocalLegend324' with cookie-cutter combo starters and set-ups.

I didn't mean to rant like that... I like all of you guys, but I WILL NOT have my skill insulted. Next time I get the chance to play for real, I will show just how dangerous I can be when focused. I'm just as good as Bryan, who's just as good as Alex, who's just as good as Chris, and ain't NOBODY gonna tell me otherwise... I'm the Great King of Fire, the Ninja God of Rock, and the most unstoppable force in the entire state. I can be just as scary as Chris... no, scratch that. It's far more discouraging to lose to me, because I 'suck'... Think you're better than Po 'Victory Cancel' Pimpus?

Fight me, and prove it.

Last note, I want to see Oklahoma improve and compete with the big guns like I KNOW WE CAN. We've got more than just KOS-MOS here, and I'm tired of people overlooking that/making us look like scrubs. We're better than that as a whole, and it's past time we proved it.

Typ_Ex

Smash Lord
on a somewhat more positive note, i think i am going to try and pick up snake and mk for several reasons. 1. everybody short of me (on occasion) and bassem seem to have a lot of trouble against those two characters. 2. I would like to learn the limitations they face. 3. I may have to play one of them someday.

3DS FC
5301-0744-1149
i guess i missed somethin and i reaaaaally dont wanna go back in time.... so who said po sucked? and ofcourse u have all those tournys and opponents under ur belt dude.... uve been here longer than most of us. hell u were here when i got here and that was along *** time ago lol. i think of OK smash in 2 parts.
1. back when everyone played consistently and coty and alex were common faces. 2. when i got back and outlaw and i (mainly outlaw since it was his place) hosted that smash fest at his place. before that smashfest there was a lag, an empty time were hardly anyone got together. now its OK's second coming. everybody that smashs on a reg basis (me,forest,bryan,cats,andy,sars) add outlaw even tho we can never smash together. now add Alex since hes back. then Steve Garrett.
this is the group that smash regularly. it wouldbe awesome to get more OK vets (po, kosmos,pablo,etc) but its understandable that we cant. heck i work on everyday but monday and tues. nobody can smash those days so how u think i feel living so close?
we do wat we can and this second coming of OK smash is much closer in skill level then back in the day. everyone is good. back in the day we had 3 great smashers, 5 good smashers, then the rest were mediocre (i was mediocre :D ) lets all get along and kick other states *** mmk?

had to cut short gotta go back to work lol

bassem6

Smash Lord
on a somewhat more positive note, i think i am going to try and pick up snake and mk for several reasons. 1. everybody short of me (on occasion) and bassem seem to have a lot of trouble against those two characters. 2. I would like to learn the limitations they face. 3. I may have to play one of them someday.
I poop on bats ALL day long :awesome:

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
5/28! ask off work, people, no johns!
forest message me if you need any pre-planning help. almost done with everything i needed to take care of for the monthly so i've got the time.

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
5/28! 20 days to the next monthly.

Hazy I want to talk with you about cost.

I've had a number of people mention that it seemed pretty steep to drop 10-40 bucks every month in addition to out of state entry fees. I've looked at other surrounding monthlies (Amarillo and Witchita) and they have $5 entries. Like my original concern with amateurs, the 2 new kids got trounced and disappeared. Besides if its just the same 10 people every month thats even more discouraging. I think that some players like TypEx or Josh might enter a $5 melee bracket, and some melee players might jump into brawl teams if they knew they weren't just throwing money at Gay Nasty.

Unless Dallas, Amarillo, and Witchita wanted to come in regularly (which might be possible) then I think $5 is fine. You have to remember we aren't on the East coast, not as many people play, salaries are much lower here, and were at a college where many people are unemployed or paying for school off loans. We need to get people used to coming every month more than anything.

What does the community think? With smash pretty much consisting of legacy titles, I think this will encourage more local participation. This is to improve OKlahoma's game after all. HxC is going to run Halo in another room and pay us for the venue so we might can add bonus pots later. Add in some of this swag, maybe find something for first/second so people still feel they have a good prize even if the pot is a little lower.

Also, thoughts on MK9 in the Halo Room afterwards?

Arcana Heart 3 will also remain free until the mother ****ing goddamn PSN comes back up since no one can ****ing practice.

DualCats

Smash Ace
I like lower tourney costs. It means more money to support my absurd musical obsessions.

Honestly, I'd enter monthlies regardless but I would agree that lower entry fees would attract more players.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
I want high *** fees so I can win some cash moneys.

Tom team with me in Brawl, I know you're lurking. Let's raise that entry so we can win some monies.

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
lol. do people really think the CT smash scene are a bunch of yale grad students in polos wiping their ***** with $20 bills? actually CT education problems are the same as OK and the ghetto parts of hartford would surprise the **** out of you because they make the ghetto parts of okc look like a tourist attraction.

but yeah, lower entry fees would be fine if people are voicing that. honestly i'm with karl, i was in favor of 10 for standardization reasons. but if you've heard people actually say "i would enter the tournament if it were cheaper" then...i'm totes down. getting more people to come/play is pretty much my top priority. if it is $5 i better hear 0 damn money johns from ANYBODY! >:)

Triforce Of Chozo

Smash Ace
If the monthlies are for the community, as they should be, then the lower the cost the better. Nobody is going to join the scene because of a chance to win money after they come to their first event and get their **** pushed in. Smash is a hobby, and people need to come and hang around because it's an enjoyable experience. I just play because I love the game and hanging with the people, but also because
I want to be the very best, like no one ever was.

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
Yeah a couple of people did mention that it was too expensive. Attendance is top priority. Other more popular games back in the Halo room can have higher fees. And yeah I better not hear any damn money johns. You can now officially make enough donating plasma at the lowest setting in 1 sitting to pay for singles, teams, and venue fee. 15 bucks.

I've been to hartford and the outlying suburbs in connecticut actually so I didn't think. Its pretty ****ty. Hartford gang problem is bad. Its like oklahoma in many ways, but with an ocean I guess. Thats not saying much. At the same time the suburb I stayed in everyone had a 3 story house and went to private schools. Regardless it generally costs a little more to live there and average pay is above that of OK simply because of its proximity to large population centers like Boston.

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
July end monthly is going to be hard, and might be a month we skip in preparation for Bigger august monthly. Its a crowded tournament season, we got TnT/Genesis, followed by Evo which many are attending in the same month and I have to go to Las Vegas around that time coincidentally as well. So Hazy/Ricky and anyone else might have to run things. Hit me up concerning June/July hazy. August will be our big big kickoff the semester monthly. And then september I'd like to see a regional Melee+Brawl+Marvel+Arcana thing go down....MK9 if its demanded...I will need TOs and I will compensate you for TOing best I can.
Probably calling this series Super Bit Wars or Promethean Challenge... or something along those lines.

Airbrush_King

Smash Ace
Hey, I heard oklahoma is coming to TYS Bar Fights 2. I spoke to the houston homing cancel players and they said there excited to see you all and cant wait to play everyone in ah3. Can I get a head count on who all is coming cause the last melee tournament got 15+ entrys and was super tight. Let me know so I can let them know cause there hungry for competition =].

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
I want to go to this. I saw it on NVGA the other day.
I just don't have money for gas mostly, but if Cats and someone else were down that'd be 4.
Although I have to go to houston again 2 weeks later that might suck.

Do we know if the Houston and Austin people will be there?

Top Bottom