• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oklahoma Thread: Weekly events for all games in OKC and Tulsa

Denti

Smash Master
That's fine. XD take your time. I only have videos of me getting ***** on youtube and I was excited to hear that I was going to actually have good videos up. Sorry, didn't mean to sound impatient.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
so...peef told me to give up ic's because i wobble tomuch.... **** THAT! he dnt know that i never wobble as it is. i for one dislike him after saying that. y would i drop them if im not good with them yet? i cant get better if i dnt keep trying right? man that dude just pissed me off....

in other news... awesome pics everyone!
Apparently this is what you got from my shoutout? I was giving you honest, thoughtful advice. Please re-read.

33: Irish Guy - I enjoyed teaching you the ways of the ice. Don't rely on Wobbling so much at this point in your career. The only reason I do it now is because my grab game other than that is still crazy good, so it doesn't make a big difference [at wobbling-banned tournaments]. You really need to just work on your non-wobble grab game and your movement. Honestly I think you should pick up a spacing-based character, and forget about the ICs for now. Maybe look at them in a year or so once you've got a nasty Marth/Sheik.

This was serious advice that improves many IC players including myself. I dropped the ICs and played lots and lots of Sheik. That made my ICs so much better. Because the Ice Climbers are such a unique character, people who "grow up" playing them tend to lose sight of simple spacing, which is needed for the ICs but never gets realized if you don't play someone else. Then once you have really good secondaries, you go back to ICs and its like...amazing. Just like I said in my shout-out.

I'm disappointed that you tried to get everyone to think of me as a "bad guy" for giving you thoughtful advice I can promise you will help you greatly if you use it.

Typ_Ex

Smash Lord
If it helps I didn't think you were a bad guy. Then again I don't play melee competitively

Shade_

Smash Ace
Yeah, likewise I stopped caring about competitive melee and all the drama that came with it a long time ago. I think at least half the melee crew in OK takes a similar stance. The other half I haven't seen in years, but I assume they never even read the post (Aside from Yawara and Alex). Even then I don't think any of us know you or bothered to find out so your rep has remained untarnished lol.

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
presenting: a very hazy new year's day
jan 1st, saturday: n64 day! my house or the union, or a venue if people care enough. featuring smash 64 singles and doubles, mario kart, conkers bad fur day 2v2, and of course any other games people want to bring! bring setups, consoles, and tvs. 1 dollar entry fee per event, 70/30 to 1st and 2nd place!

:D :D :D i will put it up on facebook soon :p

Shade_

Smash Ace
Lol Sounds like a plan. This could possibly be the most competitive day in OK history. Someone bring perfect dark. Is anyone here actually good at smash 64? I feel like we are all about the same with Chris sticking out a little over everyone in this area.

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
i have a feeling smash64 will be a complete tossup, lol

edit: we have room for 4 setups if it is at my place...so 2 TVs and 3 N64s would be needed. and plenty of controllers (i only have 2)
i put the event up on facebook. if you wanna come and are not my facebook friend, get an invite from someone else coming or hit me up with a FR.

Typ_Ex

Smash Lord
conkers? which game do you have in mind?

if its 2v2 im guessing its beach. while i like beach id rather play heist. or just war.

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
war for sure. magnum camping is pretty dirty but at least it's not an ensured win. heist 2v2 is really unfair: there's no way to eliminate CPUs, and if a team manages to have 1 person get to the sniper tower and another grab the rockets (only real way to get someone off the sniper perch), it's over.

Zinth

Smash Apprentice
Forest and I have Smash 64 on our Wiis, which is way better than on the N64 imo. I've grown to rather enjoy Smash 64, so long as it's on the Wii.

Dude, Forest is really good at Perfect Dark, and so is Andy, so it'd be cool if we had both of them play.

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
I used to win perfect dark tournaments back in the day. I've won every one i've been in i suppose at least 5 of any significant size, but I haven't played in years, I would love to.

I always liked Mauler/Pheonix/magsec 4 mans.

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
i am totally recording grand finals for each game :p
i am 90% sure andy will make it to perfect dark grand finals. it's gonna be so hype.

edit: so forest is beast at perfect dark, also? omg possible grand finals andy v forest? so hype.

edit 2: sonic storm - come and bring the game :D when MO came for intimikill 1 we ended up playing hours of crash bandicoot racing instead of melee, lulz

Shade_

Smash Ace
Well, I'm definitely not hot stuff at all in Perfect Dark. I've never won against Andy in all the years we played perfect dark together. We just had lots of fun playing on a team against 8 unarmed darksims and farsights lol.

Laptop guns were real fun too. Can't wait for this man! Though I think I'll be able to hold my own at the Mario Kart 64 turny. Maybe get cash at that. Mario Party tournament should also happen!

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
I really really need to get Oh Snap ruleset together this week! I also need out of staters to start spreading the word. I need some input on venue as well.
Can anyone interested in having input meet me in person wednesday or can we skype, or you can skype in if you can't make it wednesday at 11pm?

Melee and 64 are okay, its brawl I'm worried about. Lylat wasn't too bad at Izumicon, having no knowledge of brawl metagame i found lylat not providing me with a great advantage as snake...anyway... discuss and I'll try and see everyone on wednesday.

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
Most ppl went random on starters, so lylat was a potential. I CPd lylat and was met with Kurohito's meta knight...

Edit: why would you give jiggly puff weight, a sword, tips, and giant disjointed hitboxes...and shuttle loop?

Shade_

Smash Ace
You forgot a tornado with higher priority and range than anyone with out a sword, n-air that has a hit box the entire animation, and glide attack that you can cancel from shuttle loop with zero land lag into anything including another shuttle loop.

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
When are YOU playing smash? I'm down to host a smash fest after thanksgiving. Of course wednesday nights I'm always down to play. I could play this thursday too. You play Melee or Brawl? and... wait who are you?

Shade_

Smash Ace
He's a bono gun Smash Cadet from Mesa, Arizona with thirty-one posts! Joined smash boards early March of 2009. A lofty smash player who's been on and off of the game since the scene died down. After the Arizona incident, a series of events eventually led him to Oklahoma where he now resides for the time being. Lately he's been checking the regional threads out of boredom and occasionally checks the OK thread when it seems to be active. He takes things at his own pace and has particularly taken a liking to the "Yin-Yang" symbol derived from the Taoist philosophy. Outside of the information posted, little is known about this player but he is not to be underestimated. To judge him solely by his post-count is a costly mistake made by many.

po pimpus

Smash Ace
dunno. but i still have yet to see a metaknight in tournametn.
That's... amazing, actually. Considering Meta is the most oft-chosen and most dominant character in the game. When I still played Brawl regularly, I was stumbling over Metas left and right. Of course Oklahoma only has one or two dedicated Meta mains who are actually any good, and with such a small scene, it's quite possible to enter a tourney or two where you theoretically would not have to face the monster.
Even taking into account the majority of Texas' smashers, there are only a handful of high-ranked players that use him; the rest of the lesser-skilled Metas are dealt with by the remaining great players whose mains have great experience from battling the likes of Dojo, and can deal with Metas who don't have complete knowledge of those matchups.

Once you get outside of the region, however, the landscape is bleak-- It's like a scene out of The Walking Dead, in which the run-down urban complex has been overrun with Mach Tornado-ing, Shuttle Looping legions, with their seemingly hive-mind mentality and instinct forcing them to devour anyone foolish enough to challenge their ridiculous numbers.
Sure, you have a few standouts that can scrape by, but for every ADHD, there is a Tyrant, or a M2K and their dozens of me-too'ers that destroy their counters quite handily in the early rounds, allowing for these players to pick them off in the later rounds never having to face that Peach or Lucario that might have given them trouble.

Or are we talking about people who claim to main one character(or characters) and then go Meta when they lose? Or people who would wreck the **** out of everyone if they stopped being lame and choosing lesser characters? Chuck Nasty and KOS-MOS immediately come to mind.

**** it, I did it again... For someone that can't play that well, I sure am mouthy... ;)

Solidusspriggan

Smash Journeyman
Once you get outside of the region, however, the landscape is bleak-- It's like a scene out of The Walking Dead, in which the run-down urban complex has been overrun with Mach Tornado-ing, Shuttle Looping legions, with their seemingly hive-mind mentality and instinct forcing them to devour anyone foolish enough to challenge their ridiculous numbers.
Sure, you have a few standouts that can scrape by, but for every ADHD, there is a Tyrant, or a M2K and their dozens of me-too'ers that destroy their counters quite handily in the early rounds, allowing for these players to pick them off in the later rounds never having to face that Peach or Lucario that might have given them trouble.
QFT and lulz

Top Bottom