• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oklahoma Thread: Weekly events for all games in OKC and Tulsa

Zinth

Smash Apprentice

G. Vice

Smash Lord
Oh btw, Miami is totally rippin' ya'll off. I'm not one to call officiating johns but gooooood night it's painful to watch such blatant disregard for the actual rules.

OKC all the way. Thunder rock.

3DS FC
5301-0744-1149
Ya I agree the officiating is terrible.... But Harden better shave his beard or something because his offense is terribad right now. If he would score 15 a game then we would be in good shape. Even Ibaka is doin bad tol

:phone:

Zinth

Smash Apprentice
Oh btw, Miami is totally rippin' ya'll off. I'm not one to call officiating johns but gooooood night it's painful to watch such blatant disregard for the actual rules.

OKC all the way. Thunder rock.
Yeah, I've been under the impression that the officiating has been pretty terrible. Hopefully OKC can get it together and pull out the win tonight, and then they might actually be able to win the last two games at home. I don't usually watch sports, though, so I don't really feel qualified to say anything.

Here's the difference between standard resolution and widescreen resolution Melee on my computer:

Standard resolution

Widescreen resolution

The HUD gets stretched, but they're redrawing it to correct for that and in high-resolution. I think it's the OpenGL-rendering that makes the character models all weird and shiny (especially note Falco above). It gives Jigglypuff herpes or mouth cancer something:

Speaking of Jigglypuff, I had never realized just how insanely huge her bair hitbox is:
Jigglypuff bair frame 10, Marth grab frame 7

Jigglypuff bair frame 11, Marth grab frame 8

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Isn't that called his fair?

*insert troll face*

But srsly, if Ganon had that much range on his bair, I'd probably be a Ganon main since the game's inception.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
Isn't that called his fair?

*insert troll face*

But srsly, if Ganon had that much range on his bair, I'd probably be a Ganon main since the game's inception.
I THINK Ganon's Fair has that range, but honestly I'm not sure. If it came out that fast and had as little down time as Jigg's bair, then I might be cool with that hitbox, but that...that's just not cool.

Vegafuse

Smash Apprentice
If Ganon wasn't so gimpable...

I like that Sora is teaming up with Bamco, not cuz I want smash to be more like a traditional fighter, I just want smash to "evolve" so to speak. Like smash 64 to melee. Brawl wasn't so bad to me, yeah tripping was stupid, and I know alot of people were upset about metaknight, but I think it was the general campiness of it making matches last for ages. I personally could've dealt with that if I got into it, but it's not for everyone.

Plus, key figures from tales (i LOVED symphonia), gundam vs. series, soul calibur, and the main team from tekken? niiiiice :)

Zinth

Smash Apprentice
I wish Marth had... oh wait.

PABLOOOOOO!!! You've gotta start playing with us again man. The Almighty Vegafuse must return!

Honestly, I think that to make the next Smash good they should just hire the Project M team -- they've demonstrated more than sufficient competence in the field, to me. They really just need to take the best of Melee and Brawl, and maybe add in some other gameplay features that aren't tripping. I really don't know what to expect from "Bamco," though, so here's hoping to something good.

Anyway, here's a comparison of Ganondorf's fair and bair to Jigglypuff's bair:

Ganon's fair vs. Jigglypuff's bair

Ganon's bair vs. Jigglypuff's bair

In both cases, the absolute range is pretty similar, but Jigglypuff's hitbox easily extends further from her hurtboxes than do either of Ganon's hitboxes from his hurtboxes.

Also, I think this thread is pretty cool: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=292603 . I think I'm going to make a thread in the Melee Workshop asking for hacking advice; I want to make an AR code that makes it so that hitboxes/hurtboxes are always drawn, but I don't really know how to go about doing so, especially since my first attempts at working toward a solution haven't yielded anything too terribly useful. That is, I ran Dolphin (the GameCube/Wii emulator I'm using) in debug mode and had it run Melee, and then I entered Melee's debug mode, entered a match and had it display the hitboxes/hurtboxes, entered Dolphin's Frame Advance mode (which allows one to play frame by frame, dumped the RAM, then advanced a frame while inputting the game command to un-render hitboxes/hurtboxes, advanced another frame so the command would take effect (I don't know why it apparently takes two frames to activate), and then dumped the RAM again. Now, what I was hoping to do with these RAM dumps is to look at the differences between them so I could pinpoint the region in memory that determines whether hitboxes/hurtboxes are drawn, and I did it in Frame Advance mode in the hopes of minimizing the changes to memory by restricting the memory span to two frames. However, when I used a hex editing program to compare the RAM dumps, there were just way too many changes in memory for me to experiment with in any reasonable (maybe several fully committed days is considered reasonable in this field?) amount of time; I haven't even been able to "next hit" click through all of the changes, there are so many. I have some other ideas to reduce the number of memory differences I have to examine, but, unless my hex editor program is more functional than I am currently aware, it may take some additional programming overhead on my part, which I suppose I would resort to if necessary but would rather avoid if reasonably possible. So, I'm first going to seek advice from people with more experience doing these sorts of things.

Gravity

Smash Ace
I wish Marth had... oh wait.

PABLOOOOOO!!! You've gotta start playing with us again man. The Almighty Vegafuse must return!

Honestly, I think that to make the next Smash good they should just hire the Project M team -- they've demonstrated more than sufficient competence in the field, to me. They really just need to take the best of Melee and Brawl, and maybe add in some other gameplay features that aren't tripping. I really don't know what to expect from "Bamco," though, so here's hoping to something good.

Anyway, here's a comparison of Ganondorf's fair and bair to Jigglypuff's bair:

Ganon's fair vs. Jigglypuff's bair

Ganon's bair vs. Jigglypuff's bair

In both cases, the absolute range is pretty similar, but Jigglypuff's hitbox easily extends further from her hurtboxes than do either of Ganon's hitboxes from his hurtboxes.

Also, I think this thread is pretty cool: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=292603 . I think I'm going to make a thread in the Melee Workshop asking for hacking advice; I want to make an AR code that makes it so that hitboxes/hurtboxes are always drawn, but I don't really know how to go about doing so, especially since my first attempts at working toward a solution haven't yielded anything too terribly useful. That is, I ran Dolphin (the GameCube/Wii emulator I'm using) in debug mode and had it run Melee, and then I entered Melee's debug mode, entered a match and had it display the hitboxes/hurtboxes, entered Dolphin's Frame Advance mode (which allows one to play frame by frame, dumped the RAM, then advanced a frame while inputting the game command to un-render hitboxes/hurtboxes, advanced another frame so the command would take effect (I don't know why it apparently takes two frames to activate), and then dumped the RAM again. Now, what I was hoping to do with these RAM dumps is to look at the differences between them so I could pinpoint the region in memory that determines whether hitboxes/hurtboxes are drawn, and I did it in Frame Advance mode in the hopes of minimizing the changes to memory by restricting the memory span to two frames. However, when I used a hex editing program to compare the RAM dumps, there were just way too many changes in memory for me to experiment with in any reasonable (maybe several fully committed days is considered reasonable in this field?) amount of time; I haven't even been able to "next hit" click through all of the changes, there are so many. I have some other ideas to reduce the number of memory differences I have to examine, but, unless my hex editor program is more functional than I am currently aware, it may take some additional programming overhead on my part, which I suppose I would resort to if necessary but would rather avoid if reasonably possible. So, I'm first going to seek advice from people with more experience doing these sorts of things.
what if take the ram dumps from advancing a few frames without toggling hitbox visibility, and compared the differences of those to the differences of those same frames(using save states)when you do toggle hitboxes?

Zinth

Smash Apprentice
what if take the ram dumps from advancing a few frames without toggling hitbox visibility, and compared the differences of those to the differences of those same frames(using save states)when you do toggle hitboxes?
Lol, is Andy the one person I can could on to read my tech-rambling? I was actually thinking of doing pretty much what you just suggested, though. I'm going to take a good number of RAM dumps in each hitbox-visibility setting, and then filter out the differences in the difference dumps for each hitbox-visibility setting, and have a list of memory locations that remain the same for each hitbox-visibility setting, which must contain the memory location for modifying hitbox-visibility and which will contain far fewer memory locations I'm not interested in. Then, I should have an easier time looking for the memory location that toggles hitbox-visibility by comparing these stable-locations for different hitbox-visibility settings. I've decided that I'm going to write my own program to do all of the memory comparisons, because I don't know if there are programs that do this to do extent I want, and because I want more extracurricular programming practice. Plus, I think it will be fun, and maybe I could ultimately make it into something more sophisticated that I could release.

LiL.Will

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZOMGitzWill
3DS FC
2208-5740-6357
This blog inspired me a little:
http://allisbrawl.com/blogpost.aspx?id=140356

I don't really take smash that seriously anymore since I never really had the time go to out of state tournies or really meet people in my area (not blaming anyone) but it made me want to help more in promoting smash in OK I just don't know who to talk to and where to start.

LiL.Will

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZOMGitzWill
3DS FC
2208-5740-6357
Yeah man!!!!

I only used my twitter to promote my music but im just gonna use it for everything now (while still promoting my music the most) lol
@ZOMGitzWill

Add me on FB too William Fowler

Sync.

Smash Champion
Thanks for the compliment! Let me know if you guys are coming. I can house or whatever. Remember Megabus is a great option! I'd love to have you people and that blog is a great thing for the community, but it's a lot harder than he worded it.

Typ_Ex

Smash Lord
yeah, especially with the activity here as of late (from either side). I could probably hold one for a week based on trash talk lol

LiL.Will

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZOMGitzWill
3DS FC
2208-5740-6357
Yeah its easier said than done the blog motivated me more on social networking as I feel I haven't been taking full advantage of how awesome twitter and Facebook could be.

3DS FC
5301-0744-1149
Gravity don't condone Bryans posts.

Also you know when Zinth is out of school and has nothing to do when all his posts are extremely long and you get Atleast one 10 did not reads as the next post down from his.

Falcoty

Smash Apprentice
Wow, pablo posted?! I better get in on this. Yawara, no johns this time, im in oklahoma for a week or two, so take some days off, and make some plans to round people up and hang out with your favorite former okie! I expect chris, josh, bryan, andy, and all you other fools to be there!

Dodge my missiles

Zinth

Smash Apprentice
Wow, pablo posted?! I better get in on this. Yawara, no johns this time, im in oklahoma for a week or two, so take some days off, and make some plans to round people up and hang out with your favorite former okie! I expect chris, josh, bryan, andy, and all you other fools to be there!

Dodge my missiles
You're in OK right now? If so (or not if so), Yawara is in Japan right now lol.

But yeah, I think this is incentive for a big giant Smash thing.

Top Bottom