• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OLD, CLOSED Zero Suit Samus Video Thread (2/2/10)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
Finally have some videos for critique. I have my own thoughts on these but I want to hear everything you guys say first. Be as harsh as you like.

These are against my brother, so we know each other though this was the first time we had played a couple months...necessary johns, we are both pretty rusty, hence random SDs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac_BWewQgdQ&playnext_from=TL&videos=JYuQm-a7BuI&feature=sub
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tLdY7V1d3o&playnext_from=TL&videos=JYuQm-a7BuI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dekibczcOfE&playnext_from=TL&videos=JYuQm-a7BuI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-Rwv-KBzig&playnext_from=TL&videos=JYuQm-a7BuI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftT33WRkrNU&playnext_from=TL&videos=5uOqyBdK6jo&feature=sub
Japes is stupid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CK5Zjl8gb0&playnext_from=TL&videos=zMkyJ1zgXRM

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Nefarious, I only watched 3 and 4, but if I had to give you any advice:

I like your playstyle, it is very unique and pretty effective. You make real choices about what moves to use and don't seem to autopilot much, which is great. However, you don't make decisions quickly enough sometimes, maybe because you are rusty. There's a lot of standing around not doing much of anything.

Also, fair is not a great gimping move in this matchup. Use RAR'd bair instead when going for an offstage kill.

Suit piece game is decent, lots of interesting ideas and strategies and you REALLY seem to want to hold onto your pieces which is unique compared to most ZSS players who don't seem to use them strategically,and even different from Dazwa who uses them well but in a way that is a bit disposable. However because of your non-traditional approach there are times when I thought "****, he could have totally used that suit piece for glide toss mobility and avoided a hit" and instead you chose to stand there and hold it, probalby because you were afraid of Fanz getting a hold on it. I heartily recommend learning the pivot glide toss (pivot rolled glide toss, to go backwards).

You use ZSS' vertical mobility like a champ, something I am starting to see ZSS players do more and I really like it. Vertical Wario hooooo

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
Adding another one, I think this is when I started to warm up better.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ibnopCDQfs&playnext_from=TL&videos=8IHepS5PKfo&feature=sub

Also SFP the reason I use fair is because when my brother and I used to play a lot more, he would always DI up perfectly on both my fairs and bairs and avoid the gimps. I would get around that issue by hitting with the first hit of fair, which is a very good gimp move.

Weird I didn't notice I was being so protective of the suit pieces haha, that's odd but yeah I think there should be move videos that show more of my typical suit piece style, since I hadn't played for a while I was trying out different styles with it. Like in ^^^ video I was zdropping, I almost never did that before but sometimes coming back to the game helps you drop your old habits I guess. I generally do a lot more grounded crossovers with suit pieces, not sure if there will be any matches that are good examples of this.

Edit: another one. SDed cause my brother wanted it saved for some reason. I need to fix my Gecko :(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JibcIcU-yc&playnext_from=TL&videos=3onFjIT06xQ&feature=sub
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbvNBB6RQYc&playnext_from=TL&videos=i_MXErYmb8Y&feature=sub

And I think this is the last:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctTjz7krXYA&playnext_from=TL&videos=AZMH5ad1aSQ&feature=sub

Paw

Smash Ace
NNID
pawzor
appreciate the advice solecalibur, i do have a bad habit of forwward b'ing at the wrong times. :/ and i've recently got into a bad habit of only d-smashing once because of the recent switch to GC controller i found myself missing the punish out of the stun, hopefully i break that soon enough :p

i'll start posting here more, i need to get better

solecalibur

Smash Master
appreciate the advice solecalibur, i do have a bad habit of forwward b'ing at the wrong times. :/ and i've recently got into a bad habit of only d-smashing once because of the recent switch to GC controller i found myself missing the punish out of the stun, hopefully i break that soon enough :p

i'll start posting here more, i need to get better
Welcome to the board :) and everyone starts with a bad habit of forward bing

I'll get to Nefarious B later but Oli MU is sooo fun, the MU makes me we are a normal character when I complete my jab combo

Zero

Smash Hero
In the second match, when you had 1039120938120801 armour pieces, why on earth weren't you out there trying to gimp him?

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
Yeah I have to agree, I thought the overall play was solid on both ends, which is why I was surprised that neither of you really tried to edge guard the other. You obviously know how the other guy can recover, so again I was surprised that both of you were trying to dsmash as they recovered, since it doesn't do **** against tethers.

solecalibur

Smash Master
Bad habit of not trying to gimp anything that doesnt have link / falco in their name

*shakes fist at toonlink*

btw Sovereign beat me in pools match (barely) but I won in friendlies =D

PS : my DI fails at life =D

Dakpo

Smash Lord
man sov could be really good if ever thought of trying to predict his opponent. He has good follow ups and great use of down tilt but i didnt see any predicting. I Would have made a world of hurt from all those air dodges. but other than that you guys did well

Dakpo

Smash Lord
i just watched nafarious for the first time! ha i love your zss, your a very smart player that predicts well and utilizes a lot of her advantages. You play a lot like i do...(maybe thats why i like it soo much) but your armor game is really really good. you should try and work on comboing with pieces like nick does, but then again if we could just imitate nick zss would be A+ tier list

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
lawl those games my item play was pretty rusty in general, ill try and get more vids up where I show some other strategies I like to use (grounded crossups are the ****).

I was hoping for more critique though, especially from Dazwa (cough) cause I think my play is most similar to his as SFP noted. Any criticism is welcome.

Some things I noticed in my vids:
-I dtilt the front of his shield a lot which is a no no, olimar can grab you every time. I don't get punished every time because he's rusty but I should

-I also lock into my dtilts and try to dtilt again to poke. Dtilt isn't really a good poke move, it's good however in that people assume it will poke well, so they generally try and roll or do something punishable when their shield is hit by it. I should try and read their reaction after the first one or throw out a jab then read, rather than dtilt again

-I don't froll as much as would be effective

-My recovery is sloppy, I know better than to get hit by purples

-I dash attack to pickup suitpieces unsafely close to my opponent sometimes. Also, sometimes I'm more concerned with grabbing a suitpiece than my opponent and get grabbed as I pick it up

-I use SH approaching side b wayyy too much on grounded opponents. In this matchup, it serves to knock olimar out of a pivot grab, but in general it's really good on aerial opponents and horrible on grounded opponents. I should have been punished hard for this

-My suitpiece game isn't using downward glidetoss as a crossup/wall as effectively as I used to, this is just a matter of remembering it as an option (THIS IS **** STRATEGY FOR PIECES)

-My rustiness is partly what factors into my sometimes... lack of action as SFP pointed out, but it's also just me being slow to input or do something. I need to think faster, and this is one of my weakest points as a player I feel

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
I'm sowwy for not critiquing your vids nef, but I honestly suck at critique.
My ZSS is also pretty different from any other zss I've ever seen so I guess that's not helping a lot either.

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
I was hoping for more critique though, especially from Dazwa (cough) cause I think my play is most similar to his as SFP noted. Any criticism is welcome.
Your playstyle is weird. Some areas you're doing very, very right (your armor game), but some facets go horribly, horribly wrong (your recovery). It doesn't seem like you know the angles up+B allows for, kept trying to use it well beyond the ledge. I'd go into training mode and mess around with it until it's etched into your mind.

Also, if anyone else wants me to upload matches of theirs, feel free to email me (Dazwa070@gmail.com) with a .rar of the replay files, and the names of the players involved.

Mr-R

Smash Champion
hmm, can i post some vids from a recent tourney here?

Rybaia

Smash Journeyman
Dude I hope you're going to BiB.
I really like your ZSS.
You got some very nice tricks, just try to mixup more, expecially when you get back on stage from the ledge.

Why people **** me when I try to do some of that stuff? >.>

Mr-R

Smash Champion
eh 14 months of rustyness happened

thanks ryba not so sure bout going to bib atm, will depend on my placing at bushido

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
Dammit Mr-R, your ZSS style is like 500x more exciting than mine :(

I want to steal it, would that be okay? <3

Mr-R

Smash Champion
haha thanks but ur zss is still much better

i see so many flaws in my style xD

hehe and thanks ryba! ur going to bushido then :D?

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
R has a really smooth ZSS. It's apparent that platform cancelling on SV is like his favorite thing to do, with any character. Later down the road in the first video, he finally got the timing down, and was more solid on its execution. I liked particularly how you pressured the DDD. It was pretty nice.

Sole, you just now gettin' those up? lol Those were all good games, and yeah, I need to predict and punish way more for someone who came from, and still goes to the Ganon boards.

solecalibur

Smash Master
R has a really smooth ZSS. It's apparent that platform cancelling on SV is like his favorite thing to do, with any character. Later down the road in the first video, he finally got the timing down, and was more solid on its execution. I liked particularly how you pressured the DDD. It was pretty nice.

Sole, you just now gettin' those up? lol Those were all good games, and yeah, I need to predict and punish way more for someone who came from, and still goes to the Ganon boards.
Yeah my internet at my parents house compared to my universities is basically crap

I'll add titles and all that after I take a nap....

ralphcecil (snake) vs sovereign
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDMizJXXdHQ

Sovereign vs drdn (Sheik, Kirby)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLuVveGeVl0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s23zqb8eZbg

Rybaia

Smash Journeyman
haha thanks but ur zss is still much better

i see so many flaws in my style xD

hehe and thanks ryba! ur going to bushido then :D?
Unfortunately I can't. :(
I will be working on those days. :urg:

NickRiddle

#negativeNick

Mr-R

Smash Champion
The first match made me want to get even better at platform cancelling...
So I am.
I started using it for reals today vs. ESAM. :D

And, it's all thanks to Tommy G. (So Xonar tells me.)
haha i still failed alot with the platform canceling.
I can do it constantly with marth, but zss has a different timing though

Zero

Smash Hero
I wonder if mixing plat canceling and this http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=279572 would be useful at all. Probably not worth the chance to accidentally spotdodge, though the tech itself would be really useful and I think we should all learn it since it lets us falling uair without dropping shield on a plat.
Yes! I've been practicing this for that exact reason. It's amazing to say the least. It's quite difficult though. I made a custom stage of 10 platforms so I can practice it more effectively.

leffen

Smash Champion
mr.r , implement shai drop plx.
i also played around some with platform canceling.
heres an example for zss

like.

Dsmash -> footstool -> instant platform shai drop ( shield drop tech btw , look it up at melee ) -> aerial :D just flashy though.

you can do alot more, cba writing more atm ( iphone, in france for vacation atm ).

btw shai dropping makes you shield dropping normally SOOOO easy, you do frame perfect drops everytime ( you can even buffer it after hitstun ).

that this has not been explored is kinda pathetic, found this out last summer before i stopped playing brawl seriously -.-

Mr-R

Smash Champion
U told me what, that I could infinite after that grab?
u think i didn't knew that lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom