• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar Matchup Directory

Noa.

Smash Master
Hilt you should replace the list in the OP with the new chart since that one's more speficied with certain matchups.

MiniTroika

Smash Journeyman
Hilt you should replace the list in the OP with the new chart since that one's more speficied with certain matchups.
I think the boards needs to start over again with the matchup thread and the video thread. Why don't we have a video critique thread anyways?

Any word on what's going to happen to the Impact Site?

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Alright, much of this post is for myself, so that I have a check list of what we need for the Olimar Boards. I promised that after MLG I'd start focusing on prettying up our forum, and we really need to start. It's going to take a long time, and I don't plan on getting this all taken care of at once, or even within the month, for that matter. It's a lot to get done, especially when we have a dying community. But if we don't start now, we'll never get it done.

So, here's a list of each type of thread that I think is important for us to have as a character board. If you think of something I've missed, let me know, especially something that we may not have at the moment.

Guide: Deflowered needs to be replaced as of now. Fino isn't here anymore. I plan to start working on one within the week. Whether it will cover frame data or not, I'm not sure. If anything, it will include the frame data for each of the hitboxes of Olimar's attacks (sweet and sour spots included), but not the data on hitstun, as that will take me a long time to complete. I will make the guide an open project and speak to the Olimar mains during the creation of it so that it is not just my effort going into it.

Video Thread: Dan is gone :/ I would like someone else to take over the video thread, but it's not seeing too much activity as of now. Olimars aren't uploading videos at all. However, a video thread that works as a critique thread will be important in the long run.

Q&A: Zori is taking a hiatus, although his Q&A thread will still be able to serve its purpose. However, the social thread seems to actually be doing the job that the Q&A thread is suppose to. Many people end up asking questions in that thread instead.

Matchup Thread: It looks like I may be taking the matchup thread back up. We need a thread to discuss how we deal with matchups, I blame the lack of a solid one for our slow metagame improvement. I'll start working on it.

Stage Thread: Doing its job for the most part. But this is my job. We've just about hit the peak and discussed almost all of the legal stages, and we'll be getting to the next steps soon.

Research Thread: Much of the data in the research thread will be revised and included in the guide. The research thread will not be needed after that.

Kyas' Thread: Will not be needed after the completion of the guide. The guide will include everything.

Matchup Chart: This really needs to be revised. I don't like the fact that the thread took off with a bang, but then stopped, slowing down afterwards. We didn't really discuss the matchups and if the averages were right, which I think is a problem. There are a few other things that need to be discussed within the thread, but that will be for another time.

Colors for Each Occasion: I love this thread idea and feel it needs to be expanded upon. Good **** Coud. [Definitely needs to be made part of the guide whenever it is created]

Interview Thread: This thread moving slowly doesn't surprise me. It'll be nice to see it pick back up, but it's not as important as some others are. [lol wait wut we haev an interview thread?]

Moveset Discussion: While this thread is important and needs to be pushed more, it's not going to do us any good until our community evolves a bit more.

Tourney Results: This is fine.

Every other thread is on a specific topic and won't need too much management. Either discussion will take place within it or it won't. The threads I listed above are all threads I feel are important, some of which we are missing. And while we do have threads filled, such as the guide, and the Video Thread, many of them need revision or new ownership.
I thought he talked about it on this checklist, but apparently he didn't. I swear I remember him saying he'd combine it with the matchup discussion somehow though...

Lol @ the enlarged parts :D

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
I'll get on it in a sec.
And...Icies?
I'll make the thread later tonight.
I think the boards needs to start over again with the matchup thread and the video thread. Why don't we have a video critique thread anyways?
We just started our matchup thread over.. lol. We've only done two matchups. So yeah, we just did. Working from scratch. As for the video thread, it needs a new owner. Anyone want to apply for the job? Only going to say yes if you've been an active part of the board and if I trust you'll be able to manage it well.
Any word on what's going to happen to the Impact Site?
Probably nothing. We're getting regular matchup discussions going now, and the enthusiasm from the Impact Site died down dramatically a long time ago. However, if someone feels the urge to do a writeup for a character, feel free to.

I thought he talked about it on this checklist, but apparently he didn't. I swear I remember him saying he'd combine it with the matchup discussion somehow though...

Lol @ the enlarged parts :D
Yeah, I will, but that'll take some time. And there's more important things to take care of right now.

Jane

Smash Hero
Hilt i would gladly manage the video thread. It would make me feel more useful :3

Of course, if you feel someone else is more qualified, thats fine too

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
If I could pick anyone, tbh, I'd like Vocal to run it, if he wouldn't mind. However if he doesn't feel up to it, I'll keep you in mind, Jane.

Dnyce

Smash Master
Hilt i would gladly manage the video thread. It would make me feel more useful :3

Of course, if you feel someone else is more qualified, thats fine too
Forewarning, which I tell everyone but no one listens...

Video thread is a lot of responsibility and takes effort. Also you can't make everyone happy. Either list videos by player or by character. Tbh, by player would be easier. A Highlights section at the top would be good for solid Olimar videos as well. I would type more, but I got *****es yellin at me =p lol

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Yeah what Fino said is realy, really true XD
Running a video thread is more work than it would seem. There's a reason we've had four or five different video thread owners XD

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
O RLY?

I'd love to do it :D I'm always around so I can update new videos whenever, and I'd love a chance to make a thread sparkle :) I will gladly run a new video thread, and thanks for nominating me Hilt ^_^

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Updated the OP with the new data, as well as moving Falco from "Even" to "Slight Disadvantage". If anyone wants to argue any of these, including Falco's movement, whether it should be higher or lower, are more than welcome to. Talk about that character specifically though, give your reasons, you know the drill.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
If you guys ever wanted to rediscuss the Mario matchup, it's been on my mind these days since I've played a number of different Olimars recently, including a pretty nasty one from Las Vegas called Xero the ITG Penguin or something. Either way I think I have a lot of interesting things to say about that matchup, and if you're gonna rediscuss it sometime, I'm gonna be ready to spill my perspective of it.

Noa.

Smash Master
Hilt in the OP it says that you would want help with making a prettier matchup chart. I can do that when I get my new laptop soon. I know how to use Photoshop, so it'll have all the nice things. It'll be a week or two when I can get that done.

Just trying to relieve your load.

Jane

Smash Hero
oh god i ****ing lold so hard at your last statement.

if i wasnt at my dads i would have such a gnarly reaction face for you

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
That would be great if you could, Noa. I'd appreciate it. Let's wait a bit until we talk about a few more matchups, though. Unless it would be a chart that's easy to change around and whatnot.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero

Matchup chart.

Yes it's ugly.

I will improve upon it in the future.

And it is very easy to update.
I like the idea here :)

A key would be a nice addition; I can figure out what the colors mean since I'm familiar with the ratios, but it would still be a good idea to add it.

Also, I like that you organized the chart into tiers, but why did you choose to put everyone out of order?

So niiice looking :D

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
I know we're all excited about the new things we're learning and growing with, but it would also be a good idea to continue to have MU discussions. Here are my suggestions :)

Falco - We've already been talking about this one a lot already, so it's only fitting that we make an actual thread for it. This is the type of MU that if you don't know what you're doing you're going to get demolished, so it would be good to have all of the info in one place. That said...we HAVE been talking about it a lot lately, so it might die quickly if we start it now. Idk

Wario - Another weird one. He can mess us up badly if we don't change our mindset for the MU, plus this one is talked about much less than other MUs.

King Dedede - LOLyahright :laugh:

Pikachu - I have issues with this matchup, so this one might be a little biased, but Pikachu definitely isn't a character to underestimate so a thread on him could be productive.

Zero Suit Samus - She's rising in popularity, and she can tricky if you don't know how to handle her. I personally could also use help here - I'm not getting hit by/running into every SideB she throws out now, but there's still more to the MU than that.

I think any of these four could work (LOL DDD LOL), with perhaps Wario and Pikachu having the most potential for a long conversation. Opinions?

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
I'd be fine with a Falco matchup discussion. I could put up the thread soon if enough people are interested. The others don't seem nearly as important to me, haha. But I'd still be fine discussing them. I know the Pikachu matchup well, so I could either contribute to the discussion, or help you out personally, Vocal.

Noa.

Smash Master
We don't use ratios at all. They are bad for you.

Only terms. I will include a legend soon enough. I've just been contemplating how to insert it without it looking too ugly. Also thank you Tin man.

Noa.

Smash Master
Two reasons.

First, I didn't want to look up the specific order and it would mean more work for me anyway.

Second, when the new tier list comes out, I won't have to make as many changes, only shifting characters between tiers, and not within tiers.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Not sure why Peach, Luigi, Marth, and MK beat Oli so badly.

Noa.

Smash Master
Not sure why Peach, Luigi, Marth, and MK beat Oli so badly.
They don't beat him badly, just solidly. Purple is slight disadvantage while normal red is disadvantage. Dark Red is big disadvantage.

I guess I should really add a legend.

And soon Peach, Marth, and MK may change to slight dis. I don't think people are able to move on about Luigi though.

Top Bottom