• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

One time shot or forever?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
So we seen Greninja,but we also have seen Lucario which was 7 years ago back in gen 4 and he was in brawl.Lucario also appears in smash 4 which proves people that say things like only the newest gen gets a rep.
My question is do you feel Greninja is here to stay like Lucario or just once?

I feel that he has the potential for these reasons:
1.He is very unique
2.He is very popular and is the most popular 6th gen.
The thing is I don't see popularity bringing him back again he needs something more...mega evolution perhaps?
Or maybe Lucario isn't forever and Greninja will be in smash 5 and that will free up space for a gen 7 or 8.

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
It will depend on what goes on the future.

Though keep in mind that because of Greninja's inclusion, he's going to get a surge of recognition.

Greninja

Smash Cadet
There may be new Pokemon reps in the future, but always have a hopeful mind

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Can we at least wait until after the game comes out to worry about this?

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
He is probably going to get a Mega sometime in the future, which would give him relevancy again. I wouldn't worry.
Sort of off topic, but the Kalos's starter final evos seem more like Mega Evolutions to me.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Kind of off-topic, but I find it funny that we call Pokemon like Mewtwo, Charizard, Lucario, and Greninja "he" when they are either genderless or their gender varies.
Meanwhile, Jigglypuff is in the same boat, but is commonly referred to as "she".

Like, I understand why it happens, but it's still funny to me.

ProjectAngel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3179-5530-9222
Greninja's popularity pretty much skyrocketed after X and Y's release, and will only increase following his inclusion in Smash.

Who knows what the future holds for everyone's favorite ninja frog?

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Hard to say at this point. If he does end up taking off and becoming this big icon to the Pokemon series like Lucario did, then yeah, I could see him returning. If he gets left in the dust, though...

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Like what Xenoblaze said, it's too early to say. We don't know how his popularity will maintain (though Smash will greatly help), how GF will promote him, how the roster will be structured in the future and so on. Any of those can affect his chances of returning, so we'll have to wait and see where it goes.

Last edited:

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
Greninja is the coolest Pokemon in the 6th generation, but it might be hard having the same kind of staying power as Lucario. For one, Ash never evolves his water type Pokemon, so he'll probably never have a Greninja. As well as this, while Lucario can show up in future regional Pokedexes, Greninja can't for the most part because he's a starter. What they need to do is market him like they market characters like Charizard and Mewtwo.

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
His frokie could evolve,If it does then that means they are promoting him...but Ash never evolves water pokemon or his pikachu.

MoosyDoosy

Smash Ace
I want him to be forever, but to be honest, he might be a one time shot mainly because he's a Gen 6 exclusive pokemon unless he gets boosts in future generations and his popularity proves to be on par with pokemon like Lucario and Mewtwo and doesn't fade away like Zoroark.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I want him to be forever, but to be honest, he might be a one time shot mainly because he's a Gen 6 exclusive pokemon unless he gets boosts in future generations and his popularity proves to be on par with pokemon like Lucario and Mewtwo and doesn't fade away like Zoroark.
To be fair, Zoroark's popularity would have skyrocketed if he was in Smash. Smash does wonders for character popularity.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Well what sets him a part from zoroark is that he's really good in battles, people wanna use him, I mean dat ability

It honestly depends upon the mentality of smash in the future. I have slim expectations that the WiiU + SSB combo will outsell the Brawl or Melee popularity back in the day. So, for that matter I am not very expectant of a more elaborate smash game in future. I say this because it changes my view point on this character. I expect the next smash game will not come out for at least another 5 years. About the lifetime of the WiiU game and all previous Nintendo systems so far just about. In that regard, there will probably be another 2 generations of pokemon that will have come out by then. So, unless the character slot expands, I expect some people will be expelled and Greninja will be one of them.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
It honestly depends upon the mentality of smash in the future. I have slim expectations that the WiiU + SSB combo will outsell the Brawl or Melee popularity back in the day. So, for that matter I am not very expectant of a more elaborate smash game in future. I say this because it changes my view point on this character. I expect the next smash game will not come out for at least another 5 years. About the lifetime of the WiiU game and all previous Nintendo systems so far just about. In that regard, there will probably be another 2 generations of pokemon that will have come out by then. So, unless the character slot expands, I expect some people will be expelled and Greninja will be one of them.
Ignore the 3DS version why don't you

:p I am not buying the 3DS version since I do not want to ruin my 3DS buttons by all the mashing I will end up doing on it on it.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
I honestly Think Greninja will only appear in these two games. I feel he is simply mainly for promotion, and they will undoubtebly have newer Pokémon to promote next time.

I could be wrong, of course. We won't know for many years to come, haha. I just know I will enjoy my Ninja-Tongue-Frog while I can~

Zuby

Smash Journeyman
I think a lot of us assumed Lucario's neck was on the block, but he's back. But then again, if Mewtwo could be cut when the Pokemon roster was expanded from 4 to 6 between Melee and Brawl, I'd have to think that anyone other than Pikachu is expendable.

We can't really answer this until we see which characters from Brawl are cut for these two games, and any reasons if they're made publicly known.

Last edited:

aliensalmon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aliensalmon
3DS FC
1204-0174-6540
I think he's a one-timer, too, because they'll probably make room for a newer Pokemon in the next game. But I hope he stays because he looks awesome! If not, I'll just enjoy playing as him while I can in these games.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
over all i think i see the entire smash roster expanding each iteration with new games being released, new IPs, new characters. however with pokemon, its iteration increases in number immensely. so perhaps in smash 5, each franchise will probably add an additional rep.
but if sakurai wants to keep the core essential characters of each franchise, greninja might be gone next time. usually characters who have a 2 game seniority make it in so it looks like lucario might be staying.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
I honestly Think Greninja will only appear in these two games. I feel he is simply mainly for promotion, and they will undoubtebly have newer Pokémon to promote next time.
I think he's a one-timer, too, because they'll probably make room for a newer Pokemon in the next game. But I hope he stays because he looks awesome! If not, I'll just enjoy playing as him while I can in these games.
I could be wrong, of course. We won't know for many years to come, haha. I just know I will enjoy my Ninja-Tongue-Frog while I can~[/quote]
The same could be said for lucario but then he got really popular who's to say this can't happen with Gren

Last edited:

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
No one has said it can't happen with Greninja. ^^ Or at least, I didn't. Not even GameFreak knows, most likely. Greninja may just become the next Charizard in popularity, and if so, he will most likely stay. Lucario is pretty much the most popular Pkmn, after Pikachu, Charizard, Mewtwo and MAYBE Meowth. It all depends on the anime, pretty much.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
If he goes the regular starter route he'll definitely be cut next game. To be fair, Greninja is hardly as popular as Charizard, Lucario, Mewtwo or Pikachu, unless they begin really beefing up promotion for him he's definitely a one-shot. At the moment Charizard is the one getting all the promotion, so it's not looking too good.

Morbi

Scavenger
I honestly don't believe that Greninja is "here to stay" if Sakurai leaves the project, I suppose if Pokemon Company uses him a lot, he will feel more natural and his longevity would be illuminated. But he honestly feels like the first Pokemon that was added based on recency.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
If he goes the regular starter route he'll definitely be cut next game. To be fair, Greninja is hardly as popular as Charizard, Lucario, Mewtwo or Pikachu, unless they begin really beefing up promotion for him he's definitely a one-shot. At the moment Charizard is the one getting all the promotion, so it's not looking too good.
He's still really popular and will still be in the coming years being the most popular kalos pokemon and 29 of all pokemon in a poll dorkly did
http://www.dorkly.com/toplist/56974/the-greatest-pokemon-of-all-time-vote-now

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I'm inclined to think he'll be cut.

We've had a pokemon newcomer with each iteration of smash bros....something will have to give eventually. I know many expected Lucario to be cut and he wasn't but I'll repeat, something will have to give eventually.

Of course how he's received in this game might change that, but if the feeling is only neutral he could be on shaky ground.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
He's still really popular and will still be in the coming years being the most popular kalos pokemon and 29 of all pokemon in a poll dorkly did
http://www.dorkly.com/toplist/56974/the-greatest-pokemon-of-all-time-vote-now
The question is whether he has staying power or not. Next generation it's very likely he'll fall a lot on these kinds of lists since he's not hot stuff anymore, just like previous fan-favorites like Infernape. Unless Game Freak makes an effort on preserving his popularity in the next one or two generations, like giving him a Mega Evolution and use him to promote stuff like Lucario, he's not going to be very popular by then. 29th spot isn't even that impressive either, he's behind guys like Feraligatr and doesn't even pose a challenge to other Smash reps like Charizard and Mewtwo.

Note that I do like Greninja, he looks like fun and he was my Y starter.

Last edited:

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
The question is whether he has staying power or not. Next generation it's very likely he'll fall a lot on these kinds of lists since he's not hot stuff anymore, just like previous fan-favorites like Infernape. Unless Game Freak makes an effort on preserving his popularity in the next one or two generations, like giving him a Mega Evolution and use him to promote stuff like Lucario, he's not going to be very popular by then. 29th spot isn't even that impressive either, he's behind guys like Feraligatr and doesn't even pose a challenge to other Smash reps like Charizard and Mewtwo.

Note that I do like Greninja, he looks like fun and he was my Y starter.
Well they put him in smash, obviously they are trying to preserve his popularity

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Well they put him in smash, obviously they are trying to preserve his popularity
We'll see. It's hard to predict atm, but outside of Smash the only rising popularity I can see Greninja get is in the anime, since Ash's Froakie will obviously end up a Greninja. My worries lie with upcoming generations, without being as monstous in popularity as Charizard, Blastoise and Blaziken are it's hard for a starter Pokémon to really carry over into future generations due to how exclusive they usually are. Lucario has had the recent pleasure of being used as promotional material for both BW2 and XY because he's a regular Pokémon, he has a lot of staying power because of this. They'll have to give Greninja an extremely hard push for his popularity to still be alive and well ~6 years from now plus try and utilize that to time it effectively with Smash. It takes a lot for a Pokémon to make it in Smash, unless you're a certain lucky puffball, so I'm not entirely sold on Greninja's role as a lasting Pokémon inclusion in the Smash franchise. Of course another determing factor will be how he's received as a playable character once Smash 4 is out, which we of course can't tell for quite a while.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
We'll see. It's hard to predict atm, but outside of Smash the only rising popularity I can see Greninja get is in the anime, since Ash's Froakie will obviously end up a Greninja. My worries lie with upcoming generations, without being as monstous in popularity as Charizard, Blastoise and Blaziken are it's hard for a starter Pokémon to really carry over into future generations due to how exclusive they usually are. Lucario has had the recent pleasure of being used as promotional material for both BW2 and XY because he's a regular Pokémon, he has a lot of staying power because of this. They'll have to give Greninja an extremely hard push for his popularity to still be alive and well ~6 years from now plus try and utilize that to time it effectively with Smash. It takes a lot for a Pokémon to make it in Smash, unless you're a certain lucky puffball, so I'm not entirely sold on Greninja's role as a lasting Pokémon inclusion in the Smash franchise. Of course another determing factor will be how he's received as a playable character once Smash 4 is out, which we of course can't tell for quite a while.
Another thing is that greninja is so unique and I doubt they would just give that up same with ike, rob and so many others, they are unique

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Another thing is that greninja is so unique and I doubt they would just give that up same with ike, rob and so many others, they are unique
I'd wait and see who gets cut for Smash 4 before getting ahead of myself, because at this point it's already looking likely that unique characters like Squirtle and Ivysaur are cut (the latter being the only quadrupedal character to have been in Smash), and we're likely going to see cuts beyond those two too. Then there's Mewtwo of course, who as we all know wasn't saved by being very unique.

Last edited:

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
I'd wait and see who gets cut for Smash 4 before getting ahead of myself, because at this point it's already looking likely that unique characters like Squirtle and Ivysaur are cut (the latter being the only quadrupedal character to have been in Smash), and we're likely going to see cuts beyond those two too. Then there's Mewtwo of course, who as we all know wasn't saved by being very unique.
Squirtle and ivysaur have to be cut or there would be too many pokemon reps same with mewtwo, mewtwo was also cut because of time constraints

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom