• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oregon Power Rankings: Updated 02/04/08

Status
Not open for further replies.

Climax11

Smash Ace
Well the more I thought about it the more Tommster had some good points, although I don't fully agree with his disagreement of me.

Truthfully, I think every tournament can be used in the PR decissions, but really only the larger, pre confirmed attendance tournys really have a good amount of pull to them.

People complaining "well in our six person tourny I owned #10 on the list so do I get to move up from #13" or people taking into account "once upon a time I beat so and so in a money match, I should be higher" are just kind of ridiculous. This information can though, obviously be helpful if it's passed along to the community and the panelists in an intellegent way.

The more I think about it the more saying PR Sanctioned is just kind of ridiculous, but I can understand how it makes people want to come to tournies more, knowing that it will effect there standing if they do manage to ****. Maybe labeling PR Sponsored to an event that gets (or is estimated to get) over 8/10/12 attendies will have people that are browsing take a second to look and reazlie who's all going to be there. Outside of that though, I can't see the lable PR Sponsored meaning much else, so it might be a worthless tag.

Truthfully though, the way PR Sanctioned is now, all people can really do is stop *****ing, show up to a tournie or two a month, wether its expected to be huge or not (which will help the turn out of the event, and quality of the bracet results recorded), and instead of saying "I'm better than you", come show everyone at that tourney just how good you are. If nothing else small tournies could count towards tie breakers on the PR List.

@ Binx - I have to agree, while I don't know how realistic it is, I think having the panelists regions spread out can be nothing but a plus. I don't think it should be a requirement, but maybe just an added perk when looking at canidates.

Balloon

Smash Lord
Tommy, we were all pretty sure you weren't in the top ten at OSU III because you only beat one person then lost to Lucius and then me.

T0MMY

Smash Master
I advanced past the first two parts of the bracket, I would have gone on to quarter-finals had I advanced past Lucius. I was actually keeping track of everyone's placings because I was helping keep track of the matches on Kenpachi's laptop.
But I guess we can't say for sure since the data is mysteriously gone. That just means the panelists would discuss and patch things up. Which, I don't see them doing...
It's like being on the PRL is that big of a priority, I'm just agreeing with whoever said that the list should have been updated by now.

About the minimum turnout... I don't think it really matters. It's mostly about the weeklies/bi-weeklies. It seems like we should keep track of the weekly/bi-weekly tournaments. I think less than 10 people showed up to the last one, and I don't see how that matters. They have been actual tournaments with entrance fees and brackets with presiding panelists. I don't see why these are not being taken into consideration, I mean, Binx should be on that list.

Balloon

Smash Lord
Uh, pretty sure there wasn't a tournament on sunday Tommy.

Anyway, the PR list WAS updated since The Finger Bang. Right now there's not anything else to go by, at least not that I've seen. Show us some brackets of recent tournaments and there will be changes.

Also, you say "mysteriously gone" as if somebody maliciously deleted the brackets. I don't see how that could have happened if you were helping Kenpachi out.

I'm tired of passively being accused by you, Tommy, of purposefully not including you on the PR. I've said time and time again that you should be pretty **** high on there, but you just haven't placed well at any recent tournaments with any sort of decent turnout.

The reason only recent tournaments have been included as the PR list's base is because we can't be expected to remember every god **** tournament that happened in the past two years. That's dumb. We started from SF:E Timmy/Tommy Abandonment Edition, and we have gone through to The Finger Bang. Every tournament from now on that has decent turnout and an actual tournament going on should be included in the PR list's base.

The issue of including Portland Kombat still needs to be discussed, and it will be.

The main problem I have with it being included (as opposed to when I said it should be included) is that it happens every week. Binx suggested it be included but then also suggested that if you miss three tournaments then you should be removed. That makes no sense. I'm not going to try to find a ride up to Portland every weekend or every other weekend just to play in a 5 dollar entry tournament with 7 other people. That's just not going to happen.

I don't think there's been a single Eugene Weekly that has actually been a tournament since I moved here in September, and even then the turnout is ALWAYS Timmy, Tommy, Shin, Tudios, and then a slight possibility of the other half of Eugene showing up. That's it.

I am still of the opinion that neither of the weeklies should count toward the PR list's base. Like I said, they are best suited as preparation for the tournaments that do matter and are included in the base.

I hope that Jesse would say something if he disagrees with all of this, as well as Shane.

Also, we need that fourth panelist position again, and I'm down with Tommy being it. If anybody opposes it, then say something and we'll figure something out. Otherwise, Tommy should be the fourth panelist.

Wikipedia

Smash Lord
Bart's Post Abridged said:
Tommy, attend tournaments, no one hates you. Biweeklies shouldn't count toward PR ranking. Biweekly turnouts usually suck. Do you agree Juce?

Seriously though, biweeklies shouldn't count. Heck, even Salem has triweeklies. Doc and I get a bunch of guys together every few weeks with a one dollar entrance fee, winner takes all. Seriously, should that count toward the PR? That's where I try out my secondary characters and try new stuff to use at a real tournament.

Peach Masta

Smash Lord
I think that biweeklies should count toward something because I know I try my hardest at those. So lets say I beat binx trying his hardest as am I shouldn't that count toward something. I don't think very many of us if any are "trying new things out" at those biweeklies atleast I am not Lucius is not nor is Ryan. I don't think Jesse or Binx is either

Wikipedia

Smash Lord
Agreed. Since Peach Masta tries his hardest at biweeklies they will now count toward the PR.

...if you miss a biweekly though, you will have to doggy style Jesse's new haircut.

joshisrad

Smash Lord
I think that biweeklies should count toward something because I know I try my hardest at those.
Flawless logic.

So lets say I beat binx trying his hardest as am I shouldn't that count toward something.
Your sense of self-worth?

I don't think very many of us if any are "trying new things out" at those biweeklies atleast I am not Lucius is not nor is Ryan. I don't think Jesse or Binx is either
well a hey bro guess what you guys should start doing

Binx

Smash Master
I think the PR should be based on how good someone is in comparison to others.
Me too and I dont think that any tournament should really matter above that, my point for PK being included is because I am consistently playing better and that should be taken into account on my placing, Jesse has seen me improve and has seen Gage improve so maybe that should matter, however I understand that he really isn't playing other players in this interum so its hard to go by.

And I DO NOT SUPPORT the three strikes thing, at the end of that paragraph I said it would be silly and there had to be a better way, it was a response to MCS missing tournaments from jank and it was like I was talking to myself and then decided against it..

I try new stuff every time I play, if I don't try something new all the time I get predictable thats why I quit playing Marth. I actually discovered a new technique against Jesse in one of our tourney matches that no one on the IC boards has been using, pretty cool.

Binx

Smash Master
Remember when you grabbed me and threw me and I had Nana shield grab you, that, I did it by reflex for some reason because I needed a clutch move to pull the match around and I told people about it on my advice thread and now people are talking about it.

Juce

Smash Ace
omg yeah, that was great, but i think an attack would have been better, 'cause you have to do the grab after i throw you.

Binx

Smash Master
omg yeah, that was great, but i think an attack would have been better, 'cause you have to do the grab after i throw you.
The problem being that Marth has invincability frames during certain parts of his forward throw and probably all of his throws, If I smash and you threw immediately (like you did) the smash wouldn't hurt you and Nana would get knocked down by me. The grab is safer also if she throws you up or towards me I am pretty sure I get to attack you XD

Binx

Smash Master
Lols but yeah just because people use the small tournaments for practice doesn't mean they aren't playing hard and it also doesn't mean that you cant get a good gauge of how much people are improving and where they should potentially be on the list, either way Tommy should be on there like tommorow, the list as it is means little because at least one of our better players aren't on it at all and some of our people who don't even play the game anymore are.

EDIT: Foos the tech is based on which character your are playing against and which throw they are using, some characters throws just will go off before a smash can and its better to shield grab, other characters like Marth are invincible while throwing and its better to wait for the grab.

Balloon

Smash Lord
How many times do I have to say this?

Tommy isn't on there because he lacks tournament performance. That's it. Nobody is denying that he should be up there, but we can't just go against the system that was chosen for just one person.

On the subject of players who don't even play anymore that are still up there, that's only Minh. He will be removed if he doesn't attend and participate in SF:E Winter.

Good god.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Binx. Jesse and I talked about Portland Kombat counting toward the PR, and we both agreed on something. It can only move players that attend. Anybody who doesn't attend can't be moved up or down because, well, there's no way to gauge them at all. People who attend Portland Kombat and beat people who are higher than them on the PR on a regular basis should be moved up, and even above the players who don't attend assuming that the player who is being beaten regularly was already above the player that wasn't attending. I believe that's the conclusion we came to, anyway...

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I think the PR should be based on how good someone is in comparison to others.
This makes a lot of sense. Wait, isn't this how the PR list is suppose to be done already?

The problem being that Marth has invincability frames during certain parts of his forward throw and probably all of his throws
From what I've seen in AR, all characters have invincibility frames on each throw. I think it's the first 7 frames of the throw.

joshisrad

Smash Lord
"This makes a lot of sense. Wait, isn't this how the PR list is suppose to be done already?"

DUMB

Balloon

Smash Lord
I don't see how you could make a response like that to a clearly sarcastic response on Jesse's part, Timmy xD!

That IS how the list is done.

Binx

Smash Master
I don't see how you could make a response like that to a clearly sarcastic response on Jesse's part, Timmy xD!

That IS how the list is done.
The add tommy in the top 10, you say he deserves to be there but didn't perform that well at OSU III but he does usually place fairly well at tournaments I have seen he always beats at least 1 or 2 people. Which is better than I did at OSU III and at Fingerbang, give tommy 12th and take me off the list if thats what it takes but good god hes better than most of the players on the list and that should be shown.

Ronin686

Smash Ace
A lot is wrong with the list, Binx.

a LOT.

Just wait until more tournaments until it's more accurate, jesus christ.

joshisrad

Smash Lord
The add tommy in the top 10, you say he deserves to be there but didn't perform that well at OSU III but he does usually place fairly well at tournaments I have seen he always beats at least 1 or 2 people. Which is better than I did at OSU III and at Fingerbang, give tommy 12th and take me off the list if thats what it takes but good god hes better than most of the players on the list and that should be shown.
Do you guys not listen?

Climax11

Smash Ace
Binx, you need to get over the tommy thing. Tournaments will happen soon, and he'll be there if he's the hot pot of coffee you say he is.

And as for peach masta...someone needs to get him a hobby.

I think the clearifacation all sounds great.

cmin

Smash Ace
i like how everyone is ignoring peace masta's subtle messages for being PR. LOL<3333 GAGE I SEE YOU MAN. WEST COAST4LYFE

Jack Pack

Smash Apprentice
i like how everyone is ignoring peace masta's subtle messages for being PR. LOL<3333 GAGE I SEE YOU MAN. WEST COAST4LYFE
You mean blatantly posting "i should be a panelist"?

I guess thats subtle LOL

My account got banned, otherwise I would've been here more often. I'm unbanned like next week. xD

Anyways, you should only include tournaments where nearly everyone ranked or worth ranking shows up. Otherwise your gonna try to move people above people based on past performances or something dumb like that.

You can't use old information for one person and new information for another, its just not fair. The more knowledge you can gather, the better.

Anyways, see you all at sf:e?

Binx

Smash Master
I wonder if all of us are about to be banned for spamming. Can't wait for SFE

Edit: Foosie why are you using Hulk green writing all of a sudden?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom