• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OSI Columbus, OH - Charity Melee Tournament! (4/23/11)

mars16

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5429-8906-2115
I just want to watch the tourney, if it was Brawl I'd enter.

I really suck at wae dashing.

Hopefully someone brings brawl for friendlies

DippnDots

Feral Youth
You guys might want to consider putting the catering on hold until you have a confirmed date and proper attendance, at this point it looks like you'll be in the hole for money and you wont have anything to donate without cutting the pot, you might want to rework some of your figures once you get a confirmed attendance list. Either that or charge like a buck fifty for a slice of pizza. Just don't want to see this ending up like pound 5, except the charity gets skimped

Ohio Smash Initiative

Smash Rookie
we are obviously working with a budget and catering at the Union might be more challenging than previously thought. They might force us to use their catering which would be way too expensive so if that happens, we will have to scrap that. However, this is located directly across from a chipotle and other fast food places on high street so you guys wont go hungry.

As far as brawl, I suck at melee as well so we will definitely have brawl set ups for friendlies and whatnot as well as open melee setups for casual melee players. Expect finalizations about everything i have talked about by the end of the week.

Also, i think this was skipped in the first post but there is parking right next door to the union. Granted it is a parking garage so you will have to pay but i dont think the rates on campus are outrageous.

DippnDots

Feral Youth
Yeah, don't be afraid to cut the "pampering" benefits to make things work, I'm sure i'm not alone in the group of people who'd like to see a tournament give back to a different community as well. It's upsetting that money ends up becoming a compressing issue but that's the way things are and no one can really get around that, without ignoring morals and cutting corners at least :\

getting too deep here, can't wait to hear back

Ohio Smash Initiative

Smash Rookie
If we get the coke grant, we get free beverages provided by the university so assuming we can provide our own food, we were planning on using my sam's club membership to getting some platters of cookies and brownies and also some bags of pretzels and chips. This would all run as around 40-50 dollars so we feel that it is manageable.

Ohio Smash Initiative

Smash Rookie
Hey Everyone! The event has been pushed back again, However this time it's permanent. We've officially booked April 23rd 2011 for the OSI Melee Tournament at the OSU Union. We apologize for pushing the event date around like mad and appreciate your patience while we work things out. We've also updated the Rules list, Parking Information building details and event details. Thanks if you have any more questions let us know!

DBSammy

Smash Ace
Anything about a Ledge Grab Limit? I haven't played Melee competitively enough if tournaments usually employ this rule. Because Brawl incorporates one to stop stalling, excessive planking, etc.

Ohio Smash Initiative

Smash Rookie
I am not familiar with melee either but I would assume that the rules will be updated prior to the final event. Things like abusing ledge grabbing and other measures of stalling will be forbidden at our event.

Paradigm

Smash Ace
St. Brutus's Secure Center for Incurably Criminal
Anything about a Ledge Grab Limit? I haven't played Melee competitively enough if tournaments usually employ this rule. Because Brawl incorporates one to stop stalling, excessive planking, etc.
In my experience, this is rarely a problem in Melee tournaments. In general Melee has more options against such tactics, such as wavedashing backwards off the ledge and grabbing it from your opponent - or acting as though you will, and neutral airing.

There's other abusable tactics, such as having peach repeatedly over-b into the wall under Fountain. We know what to look out for; Melee has a long history, and what tactics need to be limited are well understood by now. I'm sure I or someone else with sufficient Melee tournament experience will be able to talk whoever is running it into the proper ruleset. Nothing to be concerned about.

I'll likely be able to make it to this, and I'm quite excited for it. Maybe I can drag Reside along. It'll be nice to see AZ, Dip'n, BigR, etc again. Been way to long.

Ohio Smash Initiative

Smash Rookie
i will be scanning other melee tournament threads for common rules but most of the people organizing this dont have melee tournament experience so we definitely appreciate your help Paradigm. If I have any questions, I'll be sure to pm you. On a side note, i like the harry potter reference :)

C_Ferris32

Smash Journeyman
Omg the date switching was such a mind**** haha. But I'm glad that you guys managed to confirm the 23rd, as I know I'll be able to make it on that day. Can't wait.

Ohio Smash Initiative

Smash Rookie
Update: We've added an extra 2 hours to the time slot for the April 23 Melee Tournament. It is now 11am to 8pm. The Union has graciously extended our time allowing for more Smash Action!

DippnDots

Feral Youth
Just a thought, sorry for the DP... lol.... ummm, it might not be the worst idea to have a $1 spectator fee that goes directly into the charity, so people around campus / the union can come in and watch a few matches for fun and help out the cause. I would recommend allowing people ot watch the grand finals free of charge though :p

food for thought

Duckman

Smash Rookie
I'll definitely be coming to this.

I've never played melee competitively so I'm just hoping to not get skunked in the round robin.

There's no seeding right?

Ohio Smash Initiative

Smash Rookie
nope, no seeding. we're expecting 60+ people so pools will likely have around 8 people so you are guaranteed to play 7 (best of 3) matches in the tournament. There will also be free play at our venue for all three games for those not interested in the tournament and those that get knocked out because a sizable chunk (probably 75%) of the entrants will not make it to the final double elimination tournament.

DippnDots

Feral Youth
I've been talking to a lot of people who arent smashers about this and there's a lot of people who seem interested in showing up and looking around, however the $5 fee just to enter the venue is a huge turn off to literally all of them. If you're expecting 60+ entrants then it probably wouldn't hurt to only charge those who don't enter $1 to enter the venue and look around, I think the incentive to give $1 to charity and to see what a competitive event looks like would do wonders for both the donation and the reputation of the community. Basically I think it would help get the event and further charity events more donations as well as getting more attention.

I hope I'm not confused on this and that you don't mean to charge the $5 for anyone to walk around and look :p

Anyways, get back to me so I can advertise this to a wide group, I literally have 15+ people interested in showing up for a little bit to check the event out.

Also I don't mean to pry but have you been advertising the tournament to regions outside of Columbus and Ohio itself for that matter? Michigan was able to pull a great turnout for melee but the TOs put forth a great effort in talking to the surrounding midwest communities. Pulling 60+ people from just OSU campus and even the surrounding Ohio communities won't be a walk in the park.

All in all I'm very excited for this and can't wait, one week and counting! You guys are putting forth a great effort and I'm sure everyone else is happy to see someone in Columbus stepping up finally.

Ohio Smash Initiative

Smash Rookie
The $5 Venue Fee will get you unlimited friendlies, we'll have setups for Smash Bros. 64, Melee and Brawl. You are also able to scope the place out and grab a drink courtesy of the CocaCola Grant. We hope you can show DippnDots! We could use the extra publicity.

We've asked around for other tournament advisors in the Cleveland area as well as various other places. If you know anyone you think would be interested, let us know! Thanks.

Top Bottom