• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OSI Columbus, OH - Charity Melee Tournament! (4/23/11)

DippnDots

Feral Youth
They've said that the venue fee also gets you friendlies too.
Right, but to people who don't care about playing smash themselves, friendlies are irrelevant. I still feel unanswered after both responses.

Is there a fee for people who have no interest in playing friendlies or entering the tournament, but just want to watch for fifteen minutes or so? If it is $5, that seems rather steep.

I know you may be worried that people will just show up play a couple friendlies without paying, but honestly, with the BYOC you'll be able to see anyone with intent to play friendlies as they walk in, you can also put stamps on the hands of people who don't pay the $5 :\ with "refs" everywhere I don't see it being too hard to enforce.

I apologize if I come off as trying to run the show I just think that with this tournament being in such a public place, it'd be a great idea to use that asset to get more awareness for the charity.

Ohio Smash Initiative

Smash Rookie
its five dollars to get through the door so if you want to watch, you still have to pay the venue fee. we dont see this as a problem because we doubt very many people are interested in just watching a bunch of college kids play smash. We aren't yet catering to the entire video game community; this is our eventual goal but is something that is currently unreachable. Therefore it makes sense to make this event tailored to those interested in smash. However, if people really want to watch that badly, we are streaming live as well as recording videos and posting them on our webpage. We will also set up a donation system through that. it is free to watch the video but we will make donations an option for those interested in getting involved. We feel that this will make our content accessible to those who were either unable to come or not interested enough to physically go there.

also, on a side note. we currently have 24-25 CRT tvs in our possession which will allow for each of the eight pools to have 2 tvs as well as providing 8 stations for free play.

oliman

Smash Journeyman
have some directions to the bathrooms because odds are that i will drink half of all the drinks there

DippnDots

Feral Youth
for real im trying to impress my OSU friends I dont need a second peach ****ting on my ganondorf

in seriousness though you live in akron right?

DippnDots

Feral Youth
oh dude, vanz call this guy, he's coming from youngstown and may be able to help ya. His name is Kitty... yes... Kitty. His name.

he's mad cool, erm... where the hell is my phone... edit soon

edit: i'll just pm it to ya

JamesBJames

Smash Apprentice
Haven't posted on this forum in forever, but my roommate and I are planning on attending. Sounds like it'll be fun.

I've never been to an organized tourney though, so I'm going to have to get a refresher on the rules at some point. The OP made sense, but can someone clarify how characters are originally picked in the first round?

The Great Jona

Smash Rookie
Hey I'm going to bring two other smashers with me, so heads up. Also does the tourney start right away at eleven? or later in the day?

Ray T

Smash Cadet
The Ohio State University | Columbus, OH USA
Official Announcement from Ray

Hello all,

We really appreciate all of the interest that has been shown on this thread for our event- we would love to see all of you out on Saturday at our event.

In case you do not know me, I am Ray Tan, the president of The Ohio Smash Initiative here at the Ohio State University. Up until this point, I have left the advertising of our event on smashboards up to my advertising team.

But now that we are just 2 days from our event, I will try to clear up as much as possible for the event.

First of all, to address Big R's comment about teams, the primary focus of our event is going to be the 1v1 singles melee tournament, as advertised on our flyers and thread main post. However, I have run the math for how long it would take to host the pools and the double elim and given some more lenient calculations, we hold the venue for long enough to accomodate doubles. So I will ask for a group opinion on interest level for a doubles tournament at the conclusion of our melee singles event and will host a doubles tourney for those interested- Pricing structure will be worked out before the event but it's been hectic these last few days getting all the details and equipment worked out.

To answer Great Jona, the registration period begins at 11am and will end at 12pm. I will be fairly strict on this because I will want to get lunch for my team (it's a long day for my team since we'll be setting up since morning) as well as generating the pool plays and briefing my pool captains. My pool captains for this event are not players in this tournament and will be the sole arbitrators of disputes and will be trained to handle them appropriately- this is to ensure professionalism and finishing pools in a timely manner. Therefore, I recommend you get here at 11am, because the rest of the time from 11am to noon and then a little later would be warmup/social time for you guys.

I have been heavily involved with the logistics planning for this event so I suggest you take heed what I tell you:

The spring football game is happening at the same day as our event, April 23. For those of you who don't know much about Ohio State culture, this is a triple header event- with a stephanie spielman walk for cancer at 9:30, a big lacrosse game, and then the scrimmage game. And if you know about what happened to Terrelle Pryor, OSU is looking for his replacement for the first few games next year and this scrimmage game is Braxton Miller's (this year's highly anticipated like 2nd best quarterback in last year's class i think) chance to prove his mettle. So I guarantee you all that this game will be crowded.

However, my event manager told me that this will not be a problem. Just be mindful that the game's kickoff is at 1:30pm so to avoid the throngs of avid football fans, 1:00pm to like 3:00pm should be safe bets to leave.

Of course, why would you leave our beautiful Union? We have three food places to eat at and there's a 50% chance of rain during the day and 60% rain at night. So it goes without saying that you should bring an umbrella- people driving in perhaps the night before should be safe as there is an 80% chance of rain on Friday.

With regards to parking, I was informed by our event planner that parking on weekends is a flat rate of $5 and should not change for this football game. But if you are driving in, try to get here early-ish to beat the crowds and maybe get a contact on campus if you don't want to park in the garage? But the parking garage is connected right next to the Ohio Union building so look that up on a map (the Ohio Union) and the parking garage is right next door.

I will be personally be briefing all of you on rules beforehand and the pool captains should be able to clarify any misunderstandings.

Again, thank you for your interest in our tournament and smashfest this Saturday and we hope to see you all there, ready for the most professional (and hopefully, one of the most reputable) tournament series in the Midwest.

If anyone has any more questions or concerns between now and the event, speak up here and I will personally be taking over the smashboards correspondence and will answer each inquiry to the best of my knowledge.

-Ray T

P.S.

Please spread the word of this event to as many people that will be interested! We also will have 2 livestreams on our website for the entire day's events, complete with video interviews of the winners, and we have an online donation system in place too- remember, this event is being held for charity and any publicity, support or viewership we get is greatly appreciated. If your friends can't come in person, encourage them to view the event via livestream on our website (on the main post on page 1) and perhaps donate if they are willing.

P.S.S.

Drillbit, make sure that MX comes. And you said that Husband might come? Because we have the capabilities to have commentary as well. I know Big R has commentated before so we could perhaps see a joint effort there?

Duckman

Smash Rookie
According to the flyer I saw in Morrill, apparently it starts at 12pm?

(PS: Hello, everyone from Morrill / OSU!)

You're livin in the wrong tower man, the wrong tower!

And I have yet to see a flier for this event anywhere lol. Then again I never notice anything anywhere ever.

I'm so ready to get thrashed at this. Someone needs to invite some scrubs I can actually beat. Never played melee against anyone who took pride in it really...
I'm definitely gonna need some warm up matches. Will we have some time before pools?

Ray T

Smash Cadet
Flyers on Campus

As far as flyers go, I was up until 6am last night with another person from my team hanging up flyers- we hung two up on every single floor in Lincoln (floors 15-23) and Morrill (floors 3-23), as well as by the elevators. The RA's have been lazy everywhere and not hanging up the flyers even though we gave the flyers to them over a week ago so I called an emergency meeting last night and posted up flyers in all major dorms- Lincoln, Morrill, Drackett, and Taylor, and will be hitting more dorms such as Morrison too. Other classrooms should be getting flyers soon as well.

And yes, that's the MX I was talking about.

Ray T

Smash Cadet
Bringing Setups

Hello all,

After reviewing our inventory list, I have decided to make an official announcement:

We will be accepting setups from anyone coming to our event.

A setup consists of either a gamecube with melee disc and memory card with full data or a wii with disc and data to be used for melee.

We should have enough wii's in our inventory for the 9 friendlies tv's to not have to worry about it since wii's can be used for both games.

Smash 64 will also be present but will not be accepted as a setup since we have enough of that.

If you bring a setup AND WE END UP USING IT, we will waive your $5 venue fee. Consider this another incentive to arrive at 11am when we open up registration and our doors to everyone. Once we receive the appropriate number of setups, we will stop waiving the venue fee for anyone.

You are also welcome to bring your own crt tv and game console for it and can set it up at our friendlies station but this will not grant you a venue fee waiver- the waiver is only for people who bring a system that will be dedicated to the pool play and then brackets and then the melee doubles tourney. If you feel that you will not be staying until the very end (our doubles tourney), I suggest not bringing your console for our purposes just as a courtesy- though I have no way of facilitating this, I do not want to have to deal with people leaving and then bringing away their consoles before our designated tear down time. With an event of this scale, I would like to keep things orderly and accounted for.

As you are all aware, this is Bring Your Own Controller so keep that safe with you and if you bring a console (whether for us or for your own setup in our friendlies section) please either keep a close eye on it or remember to demarcate it with tape or a nametag or something so you know it's yours.

Only first party. unmodded controllers will be allowed in tournament play, so at our registration table, we will be checking your controller if you indicate your desire to play in the tourney. Consider this a formality. We also have first party controllers available for use, but this is more for the on campus students who may not be aware of the unspoken BYOC dogma or just forget to bring their own.

Thanks,

Ray T

DBSammy

Smash Ace
You would have to talk to AZ about Husband being here. I only saw him on a Melee results thread from a tournament on the sixteenth telling Husband about this tourny.

Ray T

Smash Cadet
Replies

Hey,

@Drillbit

Could you link me to the thread you're referring to? This is more out of curiosity than anything. I have been personally pm'ing some notable players as well to bring attention to this tournament.

@Paradigm

I wholeheartedly agree. My advertising team and I have saturated campus with flyers- in fact, we have members of our team standing out on the oval passing out flyers as we I am typing this reply right now. I will be sure to pass on the much-deserved accolades to them.

Ray T

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Can't wait for this - haven't enjoyed a good full day of Melee in years. I'm hoping a lot of old faces show to this. Also Quivo should hopefully be coming to this.

Ray T

Smash Cadet
Far Away Kids

Hey AZ,

Since you were trying to get Husband to come to this, would Vanz be coming as well? I know he was asking about people passing by Akron along their way here so I don't know if you smashboarders have certain carpooling routes set up?

Ray T

Paradigm

Smash Ace
St. Brutus's Secure Center for Incurably Criminal
GG's all, quite a good tournament. Hope the OSI can do more of these!

Glad to see AZ and Q back in the Melee scene.

Dang, got to top 16 or 24 or so (I was Ty), got owned by a really good Samus player. Thanks for organizing the tournament, guys. I had a lot of fun.

I'm gonna have to get better though, so if you play melee at OSU and want a sparring partner, let me know!
I think I may have been that "really good" Samus player. At least, I think was the only Samus who made it to brackets. I live in the dorms at OSU, and am definitely down for some Melee. I'm lacking a TV and 'cube, though, so it won't be at my place.

The invitation goes out to anyone else as well: if you've got the equipment space and are within walking distance of campus and are looking for someone to Melee with, lemme know.

JamesBJames

Smash Apprentice
I think I may have been that "really good" Samus player. At least, I think was the only Samus who made it to brackets. I live in the dorms at OSU, and am definitely down for some Melee. I'm lacking a TV and 'cube, though, so it won't be at my place.

The invitation goes out to anyone else as well: if you've got the equipment space and are within walking distance of campus and are looking for someone to Melee with, lemme know.
Haha, yeah. I was the one who reassured you that I'd never played a Samus main before, right before you annihilated (aka: 3-stocked) my Ganon. Then I messed up a little as Marth, but you still won soundly.

You're welcome to come to Morrill any time to play; I could use the practice. Shoot me a message here or add me on Facebook if you're interested.

Also, I still think it's funny that my roommate is listed as "Chris Ham." Apparently the o and l in his name (Holm) were a little too close together to read...?

Ray T

Smash Cadet
Next Tourney

Hey,

The next tournament will prioritize brawl, since melee was the priority for this tournament.

Now, the goal is to be able to hold a joint brawl and melee tournament- we will soon have enough setups to be able to hold both tournaments concurrently, but if that does not work out (I do not get enough man power for pool captains or not enough interest) Brawl will be the tournament and melee and 64 will be on friendly setups during the event.

If that is the case, I certainly still encourage everyone who is big on melee or 64 to come- with 26 tv's and counting, 16 tvs will be used for 8 pools and that leaves 8 tv's now and however many more we get before this upcoming event. From what I've seen in the past, smashfests have had far less setups than we do, even for our side games.

Regardless, I will update with more details when I book the venue and determine how many pool captains I will have and gauge interest levels.

Thanks for coming out to our first event and we really appreciate your interest and support.

Best,

Ray T

Top Bottom