• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Panhandle Brawlfest-(LOOK NOW-NEW LOCATION!)(Tallahassee, FL)(Jan 9th & 10th, 2009)

SlitThroat1010

Smash Journeyman
The melee scene in Tally is having a horrible time hitting the threshold for people to join, at least for me. Who else went through this mindset: "I want to enter, but only if there's X amount of people." I guess when everyone thinks this, essentially no one ever enters. It's no one's fault really, but if we don't show melee some commitment soon, she's gonna break up with us!

Zone

Smash Champion
The melee scene in Tally is having a horrible time hitting the threshold for people to join, at least for me. Who else went through this mindset: "I want to enter, but only if there's X amount of people." I guess when everyone thinks this, essentially no one ever enters. It's no one's fault really, but if we don't show melee some commitment soon, she's gonna break up with us!
I entered w/o getting a headcount last time. For commitment and I got to play like 3 tournament matches before it was grand finals lol.

I don't even mind losing in brackets. I just want more people to play against in melee than just parker lol. No offense parker your fun to play with :p Just not for me to drive 2 hours to play only you lol.

I've played plenty of people I believe could take me out of brackets. Not easily though mind you.

Parker went from getting 3 stocked by me every match to taking off 3-5 matches from me last tourney. Although I believe only 1 win was from a tourney match? dunno can't remember. Anyways, I'm really not THAT great at ssbm for people to fear not winning melee. I didn't even get out of pools @ TGMTSBCO. Granted I was like all Zelda >.>;

btw when I get the chance I want to play your shiek more groceries, I don't get punished enough for forward smashing shieks shield like you punish me :p to keep me from doing it.

I talked to some people and alot of people didn't enter cuz they told me"There is no point, we can't win when Blah blah is here" Only the same amount of people can win brawl but everyone keeps entering that game. So makes me wonder if Me, Green Mario, Taco, HarrietTheGuy, Gmoney Ect just didn't go. Would everyone enter cuz they think they can win now? Makes me wonder.

For the record I've never won a melee tournament except 2. And i've been to like 20. You don't get better playing only friendlies which has no pressure, and your fear of anything is gone. You have to lose some money before you get some. The way of business.

All I'm trying to say is, Enter it, you won't regret it. First talahassee tournament Green mario 3-2'd me It was exciting. Because frankly I really believed I was going to get flat out *****. I think unless your winning everything, people just tend to have low confidence at the boot until proven otherwise, which is bad cuz confidence is a big factor, atleast on my game.

B_AWAL

Smash Master
i guess if we hustle and actually leave on time we can make it there by 9:30-10pm

whats with the only 5 dollars for brawl doubles?
Thats cuz we onlyu have like 8 teams. We want more teams for right now. If we get 16 teams, then its a definite that we will go towards having it be 10 dollars again. We want more people to play because thats what this is for. 4 people to have fun. Plus we have 7 of the 8 teams coming back to play anyways. Plus at the last tournament I saw 7 teams that actually had a chance of wining the team tourney. Even though all 7 teams know that they are good I'd rather they play against more people to keep up their encouragement. I mean I know U guys came close to losing in 2 sets. Which made me happy(Not that I wanted U all to lose, cuz yaw is my NIGGUZ) because the thrilling feeling of working so hard to win is what makes this fun. I'm sorry for the lecture guys, I really just need something to do with my life. I'm dead bored and stuck here in Tally, alone and sad for christmas :-/ Well, I do have the reason for my name here(The real AWAL). I'll B riding to her place 4 Xmas, but thats tomorrow.

Its not that, it's just that A, Brawl is newer and people want to get good at it.

Melee is already established and because so many people have either A, given up on it or B, moved on many people don't want to play it because they are nowhere near as good as they used to B. I mean I was ACTUALLY GOOD at Melee but now I suck because I'm so used to Brawl. Plus I'm not paying 10 dollars when I TRULY have no chance of wining. However, now I'll play cuz it's only 5 dollars. And I've picked Melee back up(Although I'm still nowhere as good as I used 2 be).

mkGmoney

Smash Ace
Jacksonville, FL (UNF) Location: Tavares, FL (for
If you don't think you can improve, then you won't improve. I haven't gotten back to where I was in MELEE (since Brawl's release) until just a few weeks ago (which I'm obviously not even that good). For awhile, I didn't want to play MELEE at all because I was disappointed with how much Brawl ruined my MELEE game (which it definitely does). You have to get over that "hurdle" and just deal. Play for enjoyment. Brawl isn't fun (at least not as fun as MELEE is). Don't be blinded by the money involved (which most people won't realistically win anyways).

B_AWAL

Smash Master
If you don't think you can improve, then you won't improve. I haven't gotten back to where I was in MELEE (since Brawl's release) until just a few weeks ago (which I'm obviously not even that good). For awhile, I didn't want to play MELEE at all because I was disappointed with how much Brawl ruined my MELEE game (which it definitely does). You have to get over that "hurdle" and just deal. Play for enjoyment. Brawl isn't fun (at least not as fun as MELEE is). Don't be blinded by the money involved (which most people won't realistically win anyways).
1.) Melee is LOTS of fun
2.) Money is scarce so I only got enough to enter Brawl Singles. I have more fun with Brawl anyways(But then again I'm a Sonic freak so my opinion is null and void.
3.) I know its a hurdle so I'm just gona practice until I get better. I play Melee for fun but I'm just not having fun when I play Melee anymore. Plus I hate playing and making so many mistakes. But hey, I already know that practice in tourneys makes perfect. But for right now, playing Melee is not worth 10 dollars. That mean I'd be playing at 5 dollars a match whihc is def not worth my money considering that I'd B 1 and done.

SlitThroat1010

Smash Journeyman
I've got an idea for all the worried and money-clinched. Anyone that wants to play a lot of melee with me, just come over to my place. I won't be back until the 6th for my first week of classes at fsu, but after that week, just call 5614529936 if you want some good sheik/fox practice and some average jiggs/link practice.

This way way when the tourneys roll around, people have the confidence to ask melee out. :p

Somacruz2

Smash Journeyman
Ok, New events for Jan. 9th and times changed, make sure you're informed about whats going on, that way you don't miss out on all the fun! I'd better see each and everyone of you there. and AS ALWAYS

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

P.S I'd call you and tell you all Merry Christmas, but my mom took my phone, sooo.......

Jssn

Smash Journeyman
Ok, New events for Jan. 9th and times changed, make sure you're informed about whats going on, that way you don't miss out on all the fun! I'd better see each and everyone of you there. and AS ALWAYS

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

P.S I'd call you and tell you all Merry Christmas, but my mom took my phone, sooo.......
so i guess you are not going to gigs???

Somacruz2

Smash Journeyman
You are correct sir, unfortunatley being at home has not been the best of times. so ill see all of you guys when i get back into Tally!

Lizard

Smash Ace
Hopefully for the January Gigs....

Prime Rib Roast, Mashed Potato and Gravy, assorted veggies.....

Yum....

Eat your heart out Groceries :chuckle:

Somacruz2

Smash Journeyman
about to eat me some turky and Ham! the stuffing and EGGNOG IS MINE!

you guys better not be posting because of christmas! :p

B_AWAL

Smash Master
Lol!!! So since u guys are goin to gigs... I'll try to make the 31st become a BIG Melee day. And I'll hold it down for FU on that day.

Deadweight

Smash Ace
Jssn and i Teamed at gigs....
we got unlucky and got GDX and 8bit first round =/
oh andi will be attending this (as long as someone cares to give me a ride from my dorm)

Somacruz2

Smash Journeyman
KBM theres nothing that we can do about it, and the library wouldn't suit our needs at current moment. Fortress will do for the moment

B_AWAL

Smash Master
Fortress isn't THAT bad is it??? BTW, Esper can u make a list of people confirmed to come and people that MIGHT come???

KBM

Smash Ace
You know what, fine, but the next time a member of Fluxx'd Up wants to come ***** AND QQ to old KBM about Jason this, or Jason that, Krystal this, desperate that, you might as well suck my **** while you're at it, because I won't give a ****. Don't take me outside asking if I know a new venue if you're going to disregard it when I find one that's perfect. "Library won't suit our needs", ok, didn't know a collective "our needs" included a bunch of morons being anti-funny with a tazer and a laugh that wakes the godforsaken dead with a 5 dollar house fee and a restriction on friendlies.

jesus christ.

I don't want anybody else telling me I'm overreacting because you haven't had to sit and listen through the same BULL **** for half an hour during every tournament. Here's your chance to change it and you won't do it. Like I said, I don't want to hear anybody crying about Jason being an ******* anymore or I'm gonna **** bricks.

*Edit* yes it's 5 AM, no I don't sleep.

SlitThroat1010

Smash Journeyman
^Wow. Does this library require us to remain quiet for those that want to read or can we talk **** and be loud? If the later, you've got my vote.

@DBS when you read this, wanna chill sometime? I could use the good snake practice, he's my weakest matchup by far.

Jssn

Smash Journeyman
groceries msg me your phone # and i will call you when we play at my apartment, we have a lot of friendlies there all the time.

B_AWAL

Smash Master
You know what, fine, but the next time a member of Fluxx'd Up wants to come ***** AND QQ to old KBM about Jason this, or Jason that, Krystal this, desperate that, you might as well suck my **** while you're at it, because I won't give a ****. Don't take me outside asking if I know a new venue if you're going to disregard it when I find one that's perfect. "Library won't suit our needs", ok, didn't know a collective "our needs" included a bunch of morons being anti-funny with a tazer and a laugh that wakes the godforsaken dead with a 5 dollar house fee and a restriction on friendlies.

jesus christ.

I don't want anybody else telling me I'm overreacting because you haven't had to sit and listen through the same BULL **** for half an hour during every tournament. Here's your chance to change it and you won't do it. Like I said, I don't want to hear anybody crying about Jason being an ******* anymore or I'm gonna **** bricks.

*Edit* yes it's 5 AM, no I don't sleep.
1.) U have no reason to ACTUALLY go off the way you did, especially on me. All I said was "Fortress isn't THAT bad is it?" Plus I said it as a joke. Chill out.

2.) Maybe that member of FU should stop talking 2 U about the event.

3.) Considering that that person trusted U enough to privately talk to U and U blew up and put theme OUT THERE on Smashboards like that is pretty messed up. To see what u do to people that trust U I wonder how u'll treat ur own crew mates if one of them pissed U off.

4.) I really don't wanna get into it with U, Ur cool people's, plus I'm stupid and crazy. I see U as a friend and wanna keep it that way. So next time U go off, make sure U go off on the right person, and if I was the 1 U went of on, make sure u go off on me for the right reason.

5.) I'm not saying ur over-reacting, I'm saying that U should either A.) redirect ur anger or B.) aim ur anger at the person or people Ur mad at rather than 7 possible people, when I I kno that I'm not one of the people U should B angry at.

BTW

Sleep is for nubz :-p and next practice tourney is on tuesday.

And I kno I've been sstrict at the last to pratice tourneys, it's just that it's a simple equation. U pay ur money and move the F**K on so Jason doesn't B***H at us.

KBM

Smash Ace
Hey Slit, the library has meeting rooms way seperate from the "book" areas, and they've got doors, so we can be as loud as we want, essentially. I used to play cards out there on wednesdays and I went to a DDR tournament there one time, and that got pretty loud without any problems

PLUS IT'S A FREE VENUE!11!1!1! AND THEY HAVE FREE TV'S!11!1!!

anybody that sees this post and would prefer this place PM me, I'm curious. Or just leave a post on the thread, whichever.

I wasn't going off at you Awal, I was going off at FU in general because I know you all have your complaints, that's why I didn't give names.

KBM

Smash Ace
Thanks Mike, for giving me a call and clearing all that up.

I don't know why anyone else didn't just say that to begin with.

Sorry Groceries, apparently they changed operating hours because I remember being there at least past 10, but it's w/e.

Anyone from Fluxx'd Up, look into the Comedy Zone, you can book events there from 11 AM to 10 PM on Saturdays. And on Fridays, so that could accommodate Low Tier/Crew battle tournies as well.

If we have any religious folk in the house, ask your church O.o I've heard of a lot of tournies being held at churches. I know Calvary Chapel on Buck Lake road is really big.

*Edit* Groceries, how'd you do at GIGS?

KBM

Smash Ace
Hey speaking of what GDX said, they weren't playing Yugioh at Fortress this afternoon because Jason was like, halting business for a while, I don't know the specifics, but are we gonna be clear for practice this week?

Somacruz2

Smash Journeyman
KBM i apologize, i was kinda tagged for time to make a post, and you know that im am unable to call you at the current moment, but yeah the library doesn't stay open long enough for the events, especially for Friday Night. Anyway, Fortress is closed at Current Moment, so for the time bieng, the Major tournament is going to be held at My house on Friday and Saturday.

SO TOURNAMENT LOCATION CHANGED TO:

2033 HAROLD CT TALLAHASSEE, FL 32304

THIS OF COURSE MEANS I CAN PROBABLY HOUSE SOME PEOPLE, FIRST COME FIRST SERVE, JUST GIVE ME A RING, OR IM ME, MY NUMBER IS ON THE FIRST POST OF THE PAGE!

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
KBM i apologize, i was kinda tagged for time to make a post, and you know that im am unable to call you at the current moment, but yeah the library doesn't stay open long enough for the events, especially for Friday Night. Anyway, Fortress is closed at Current Moment, so for the time bieng, the Major tournament is going to be held at My house on Friday and Saturday.

SO TOURNAMENT LOCATION CHANGED TO:

2033 HAROLD CT TALLAHASSEE, FL 32304

THIS OF COURSE MEANS I CAN PROBABLY HOUSE SOME PEOPLE, FIRST COME FIRST SERVE, JUST GIVE ME A RING, OR IM ME, MY NUMBER IS ON THE FIRST POST OF THE PAGE!
how long they closed for?

KBM

Smash Ace
yeah, sorry about that Drew, it was 5 AM, etc johns etc.

is your house really gonna be big enough?

and please tell me your sister won't be there XD

Somacruz2

Smash Journeyman
trust me it will be fine
I've alredy planned it out, but im gonna need help with TVs, so if you have a tv or two, bring it
ill have setups out side and inside, and my sister will be busy so don't worry, i've got it all under control.

fortress is under some legal issues so this is the back up for the current moment.

P.S Get on aim!

Top Bottom