• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Parachute Parade! - GnW Social Discussion

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
It's probably just me, but I hate hate hate YI. I never seem to be able to utilize the middle platform correctly/reliably. The platform just seems like something that holds me back more than it assists. Landing on it on accident, not landing on it when I think I -will- land on it. It's just, eugh.

The shift of how well I do moving from YI to one of my better stages (BF, Frigate) is ENORMOUS.

Also, because I love fair, I will be sure to practice this lagless trick.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Not a big fan of YI. I think GW has a hard time approaching on that stage. It promotes camping for the other player.
If the top platform is angled down towards me on YI my Link's spamming is blocked. Many spammers hate YI because this. I'd take people who out-spam-camp me here besides Wolf, Sheik and Toon Link. Shy guys block spam too.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
YI is a decent stage against Falco as well. Falco in general I feel kinda dislikes slants.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Oh right, Brinstar is almost an autoloss for Falco.

I feel that a Falco that understands how to camp on RC without gimping himself is extremely annoying, but granted there's probably a lot of Falco users who just don't have any practice on RC, so w/e. My Falco isn't great, but if there's anything it can do, it does well on RC.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Oh right, Brinstar is almost an autoloss for Falco.

I feel that a Falco that understands how to camp on RC without gimping himself is extremely annoying, but granted there's probably a lot of Falco users who just don't have any practice on RC, so w/e. My Falco isn't great, but if there's anything it can do, it does well on RC.
I agree that RC is not as bad for falco as everyone thinks, but the thing is this logic can be used both ways. A gaw that REALLY knows how to use RC to it's max potential is unbeatable vs most characters.

If GaW wins game 1 in falco vs gaw, the set is over. This is why I think the match-up is even or in gaw's favour.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Oh wow. That... but...

Wow.

Anyways, I was playing yesterday, and am I right in that GaW is all about the mindgames? It certainly feels that way. Not a bad thing, I think I might have finally found a permanent main. Again.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
Mind games and reads go pretty much hand-in-hand, though.
the difference is subtle

Mindgame: tricking your opponent to do what you want by way of pressure or confusing movement

Good example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Naxhm1Ss1os&feature=BF&list=PL40D1737F47484676&index=10#t=3m2s

Read: knowing what your opponent is going to do based on their habits

Good example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkF4KuDiRRs#t=4m9s

Yomi: Just knowing what your opponent is going to do

Conditioning: A counter to reading, acting a certain way to make your opponent pick up false reads, and then punishing their reads

Good Example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhIa6kxjJqs

KDJ rolls and spot dodges a little round 1

Round 2 he rolls and spot dodges an insane amount

Round 3 he barely rolls or spot dodges at all

Because of this M2K wasn't sure what he was going to do, KDJ conditioned him into at first thinking he wouldn't roll much, then that he was going to roll and spot dodge a ton. Round 3 M2K didn't know what to expect so he was confused.

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
Cincinnati, Ohio ; Land of Happiness and Kindness
NNID
Daylightful
Yeah, if I have the option I prefer to take Falco to Lylat. I usually end up CPing to Brinstar or RC though.
Yeah.. Falco has a lot of meh stages he doesn't really like that match.
Frigate, Brinstar, RC, Halberd are good ones that GnW can take Falco.
It's honestly what you are comfortable with the most.
I think mostly I take Falcos to Frigate since I play a lot of that stage vs. furries so it's my comfort stage.

As for neutrals, I always shoot for Smashville. Battlefield is a huge no for Falco (I learnt that the hard way) and so is FD obviously. Definitely more comfortable on Smashville. Although a lot of times we play the 9 stage strikes so we get a lot of options (like Delfino, Halberd, etc). Which are stages I'd definitely consider. I don't know if other places uses 9 stage strikes now?

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
G&W is more about Mindgames than Reads in my opinion. Using uair, smashes, and jumping can trick your opponent into doing whatever you want.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
yeah, also, I find it quite sad that the whole GW vs. MK match up is about conditioning the MK

you have to make him up-B when you air dodge in, and you have to make him f-tillt when you b-air in.

Sad face

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I personally think that G&W's D-throw game is underdeveloped for most players. Implementing it correctly is hugely reliant on reads.

But yeah being strong at mindgames goes quite a way with G&W...especially if it means landing Smashes!

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Lol dthrow to usmash is probably the most devastating thing in the game, especially if you know they'll spot dodge so you charge it and get those 60% kills you've always dreamed of.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
It's like the power of Ganon in a character who dies at 100, except they don't because they have a bucket.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I hate Metaknights who just spam Up-B. Not because it's hard to deal with, but because it's boring to play against.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I personally think that G&W's D-throw game is underdeveloped for most players. Implementing it correctly is hugely reliant on reads.

But yeah being strong at mindgames goes quite a way with G&W...especially if it means landing Smashes!
I land Usmash most as a punisher, usually vs spotdodges. Smashes are hard to connect with I can't hit by reflex. Some G&W's made it look easy.
I like getting Shuttle Looped through bair.
Will Bair ever hit or trade hits with MK's loop? Or tornado? MK's da bess:glare:.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
So, can someone better explain upbing the mach tornado? I played a match last week with a friend's MK and I used upb, accidently got caught in the nad, and we were high up enough so that I died. :\

Ryo_Guikido

Smash Ace
I like getting Shuttle Looped through bair.
It's the best when they shield and you bair their shield almost perfectly.

Pro tip: running away upsmashes are too good! i get many kills from that when they try to dash grab/attack. it's beautiful. Think about it.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Hey guys, pretty soon I'm gonna write a new guide to G&W revolving around his D-throw. The old one is well...old, and I feel that what I have will interest and help everyone.

Now I have a question, do people want me to record frame by frame footage of G&W's D-throw techchases? I'm not going to do it unless people ask for it (and there's a chance I probably will flake out anyway), but I'm just throwing out there that I could feasibly save a bunch of replays for each character and record them on my camcorder going over frame by frame with commentary on how to techchase.

Though if someone else wants to take a bunch of replays and go over them frame by frame for me using the replay and frame advance hack...be my guest, and tell me if you do so.

In other news, I also confirmed that doing the ledgehop autocancel F-air is an 8 frame window (jump+F-air still has to be frame perfect, but if you get that down, you have an 8 frame window after ledgedropping to perform a perfect ledgehop F-air).

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
I land Usmash most as a punisher, usually vs spotdodges. Smashes are hard to connect with I can't hit by reflex. Some G&W's made it look easy.

Will Bair ever hit or trade hits with MK's loop? Or tornado? MK's da bess:glare:.
PROTIP: lots of GDubs random smash

GW's Smashes are so good you can do that

just don't do it desperately, you'll get punished hard

Top Bottom