• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Parachute Parade! - GnW Social Discussion

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I'd go so far as to say that GaW's FSmash is one of the best smashes in the game, period. It's an awesome move, punishes spotdodges, can punish rolls because it's hitbox extends BEHIND you, and is a ridiculous kill move. Especially on Ivysaur XD

Oh, also, I have a tournament tomorrow. Going to go all gw, and have 8 MMs and counting. Though they're more BMs.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
I'd go so far as to say that all of GaW's Smashes are the best smashes in the game, period.
Fixed.

I really like his smashes, it seems as though they pretty much cover everything as well as any problems the others might have. They can all be used to punished dodges, down smash is super fast, fsmash lasts forever, and usmash is so ridiculous with its hitbox and recoil.

Obviously saying they're all the best is an over exaggeration, but they're all probably my favorite (after DK's dsmash and fsmash that is) in the whole game. They're also the main reason I play Game and Watch

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I think you mean knockback, last I checked GaW doesn't get knocked back by his own attack (which is what recoil is).

Also, I think playing GaW is improving my play in general. Partly because I'm using NAir so much.

Phoxhound

Smash Cadet
Baltimore, MD (in a worm hole during summers)
3DS FC
2707-1679-3227
Hey guys, pretty soon I'm gonna write a new guide to G&W revolving around his D-throw. The old one is well...old, and I feel that what I have will interest and help everyone.

Now I have a question, do people want me to record frame by frame footage of G&W's D-throw techchases? I'm not going to do it unless people ask for it (and there's a chance I probably will flake out anyway), but I'm just throwing out there that I could feasibly save a bunch of replays for each character and record them on my camcorder going over frame by frame with commentary on how to techchase.

Though if someone else wants to take a bunch of replays and go over them frame by frame for me using the replay and frame advance hack...be my guest, and tell me if you do so.

In other news, I also confirmed that doing the ledgehop autocancel F-air is an 8 frame window (jump+F-air still has to be frame perfect, but if you get that down, you have an 8 frame window after ledgedropping to perform a perfect ledgehop F-air).
I don't think frame-by-frame would be explicitly necessary--should be easy enough to follow at regular speed I'd think. A regular video for a handful or so of characters would certainly be helpful though.

Would definitely like to see your guide when it's finished.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Ah, well that's cool then.

I will warn you, although I discovered that G&W's techchase game is in several matchups *significantly* more legit than we ever realized, some of the techchases I discovered were possible are not easy to do and probably do require frame knowledge to execute with a remote level of consistency.

To clarify *significantly* more legit, I know for a fact UTD Zac is going to love some of the stuff I have. =)

inb4UTDZacnamesearch

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I nearly beat a ranked Kirby in a MM yesterday. It felt so good to have options. Replays didn't get saved, I'm afraid.

DThrow techchase from 0 - 40ish was pretty pimp. I also keep getting praise for my playstyle, reading, and mindgames. Feeling pretty good about myself.

I also lost a game to a MARIO in brackets, because I use CCPro and accidentally mixed up my shoulder button assignments, then lost the set because I banned RC, he switched to Falco and CP'd Japes. I'm switching to GCC so this BS never happens again.

Publix

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, pretty soon I'm gonna write a new guide to G&W revolving around his D-throw. The old one is well...old, and I feel that what I have will interest and help everyone.

Now I have a question, do people want me to record frame by frame footage of G&W's D-throw techchases? I'm not going to do it unless people ask for it (and there's a chance I probably will flake out anyway), but I'm just throwing out there that I could feasibly save a bunch of replays for each character and record them on my camcorder going over frame by frame with commentary on how to techchase.

Though if someone else wants to take a bunch of replays and go over them frame by frame for me using the replay and frame advance hack...be my guest, and tell me if you do so.

In other news, I also confirmed that doing the ledgehop autocancel F-air is an 8 frame window (jump+F-air still has to be frame perfect, but if you get that down, you have an 8 frame window after ledgedropping to perform a perfect ledgehop F-air).

REALLY looking forward to the guide! I'd really like to see frame video against IKE! I play with RYO and he always shields or spot dodges before i land an upsmash. Sometimes i can get the spot dodge if i charge it, but it seems the best option against IKE is running past him and pivot grabbing, it gets both shield and spot dodge or maybe dash attack during the role. IDK but you got my full support on the guide, let me know if you need any help.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Like holy ****, you guys are not going to believe some of the stuff I'm learning about G&W's D-throw. It's amazing as hell...but it's going to take me quite a while before I actually get everything you could ever want to know about what works on the entire freaking cast. I'm feeling like I should just post what I have right now and finish it later this week.

If anyone was intimidated to study G&W's D-throw in depth (not that anyone has come close to what I've tried here)...I don't blame them. Anyhow I have somewhat incomplete but very comprehensive data for followups on the following characters (ordered by weight):

Jigglypuff
G&W
Squirtle
Kirby
Metaknight
Pikachu
Fox
Falco
Olimar
Zelda
Sheik
Marth
Peach
Ice Climbers
Toon Link
Ness
Ivysaur
Wolf
ROB
Wario
Charizard
King Dedede
Snake
DK
Bowser

Phoxhound

Smash Cadet
Baltimore, MD (in a worm hole during summers)
3DS FC
2707-1679-3227
Now I'm really excited to see what you've found, A2. Been feeling like my game is stagnating and I think your Dthrow information would be very helpful. As much as I love juggling (nair forever!) it just isn't doing it for some matchups. So thanks in advance for all the work.

sambo400

Smash Apprentice
I nearly beat a ranked Kirby in a MM yesterday. It felt so good to have options. Replays didn't get saved, I'm afraid.

DThrow techchase from 0 - 40ish was pretty pimp. I also keep getting praise for my playstyle, reading, and mindgames. Feeling pretty good about myself.

I also lost a game to a MARIO in brackets, because I use CCPro and accidentally mixed up my shoulder button assignments, then lost the set because I banned RC, he switched to Falco and CP'd Japes. I'm switching to GCC so this BS never happens again.
You ban the cruise against Mario? Is this common?

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I know from experience it's a fairly good stage for Mario. I wasn't particularly worried about him on any other stage, as usually he wants neutrals and I was confident I could beat him on YI Brawl or BF. Also probably influenced by playing the Ganon vs. Mario MU there a lot, it's probably ingrained in my mind as an auto-lose, even though I play GaW now.
I CP'd Pokémon Stadium 2 against him and wrecked him game 2, btw.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
RC is stupidly good for G&W. But the thing about RC is you have to practice maneuvering on that stage no matter which character you are.

Go to training mode, spend 15 minutes a day fooling around on that stage with any character, and pretty soon it will become second nature to get around.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Yeah, it was basically I have 0 experience there with GaW, and didn't feel like playing that out in brackets. I only switched to GaW wednesday, so I don't have much experience on CPs yet.

sambo400

Smash Apprentice
My tourney-going friend said that people aren't CPing the cruise against Snakes anymore due to utilt and their platform-nade skills. Not just GnW, in general.

truth?

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Well, I remember watching Ally wreck my region's other GaW in a tourney a few months ago there, but there was a slight skill gap there I'd say.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
People overrate how much RC hinders anyone. All that matters is that G&W and Metaknight benefit the most from it. Actually the only character that should absolutely never go to RC is Bowser given he has some of the worst air-to-air options and the worst recovery in the game.

RC is barely polarizing at all...well especially if you compare it to Brinstar. Now Metaknight is legitimately by far the single most polarizing broken force in the game on a stage like Brinstar, while a number of other characters....Falco and the ICs comes to mind...get royally screwed by Brinstar.

Work in progress guide to D-throw posted. http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=298130

-Ominous-

Smash Journeyman
I have a friend who is a Pikachu player, and Rainbow Cruise is also a great CP for him. In friendlies we'll sometimes play there, and the fights are over really quick, because we beat each other up so quickly. In the end, our wins on the stage are about even.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Good stuff, A2ZOMG! My head's spinning from all that info.
On RC is G&W>Toon Link?

My G&W's not improving very much, dumb wifi :( .

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I'm kinda going to repeat what I say...taking someone to RC more or less depends on how well you and your opponent know the stage.

Though yes, I'd say G&W handles the stage better than Toon Link and pulls out advantageous there.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I hope people remembered that I was the reason we realized the Bacon Is a Lie!!!

No joke, nowhere in G&W's files is there a reference to bacon. There's fish cakes, prawns, and sausages if I recall. But no bacon.

I don't feel like coming up with anything else interesting. Don't ask me for a new Social title.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Oooo, can't wait for the guide A2Z!

My lame title suggestion is D-Throw Social Judgment.

Top Bottom