• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Parachute Parade! - GnW Social Discussion

Alphicans

Smash Hero
No I do not agree with that (as you could probably see from the BBR match-up chart). I think the match-up is pretty much dead even. We both punish each other pretty hard.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Hi. I'm still playing G&W as a secondary. Even though he's the one I'm worst with :( . How should G&W play? Aggressive/defensive, spacing oriented, more air/ground, grabby, offense/punisher, combo-er, few smashes/tilts/grabs/etc, and so on? I can't make him work, even my Zelda's better (relatively).

Alphicans

Smash Hero
The issue is that you're trying to classify how characters should play.

Obviously some characters excel at certain things, but every play style has its uses for every character. Game and watch requires you to be aggressive when needed, be defensive when needed, is a very spacing orientated character, is a fantastic airborne character, can combat on the ground (upB OoS, dtilt etc.) has an incredible downthrow, and great uthrow options on a couple characters, has great punishes (from his smashes), you can actually spam smashes due to the very low cool down, and his tilts are generally good (utilt and dtilt are great).

Such a long sentence :).

iamjason8

Smash Journeyman
You said it Alphicans!

I always thought GaW was one of the easiest characters to pick-up, but I guess we're all different. =^_^=

Anyway Arizen, once you get pro at GaW, you'll find that his ATs are great! Bucket Braking, D-Throw Tech Chase, RAR-ing.

And let's not forget SHORT HOPE DOUBLE BACON! Haha, just kidding that's Project M.... :p

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I think you mean Full-Hop Double Bacon.

Oh, and then your opponent FSmashes you.

I really wish Chef were actually useful in more situations.

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
Cincinnati, Ohio ; Land of Happiness and Kindness
NNID
Daylightful
No I do not agree with that (as you could probably see from the BBR match-up chart). I think the match-up is pretty much dead even. We both punish each other pretty hard.
Hm. ='/ I honestly can't see that. I do think GnW has an easy time going in and staying in. But I feel like ZSS juggles GnW a lot easier than GnW juggles ZSS. And GnW absolutely gets wreck once he's in the air vs. ZSS where it's not as bad for ZSS when her.
I do think ZSS has problems getting in, but she can easily force us into the air.

Hi. I'm still playing G&W as a secondary. Even though he's the one I'm worst with :( . How should G&W play? Aggressive/defensive, spacing oriented, more air/ground, grabby, offense/punisher, combo-er, few smashes/tilts/grabs/etc, and so on? I can't make him work, even my Zelda's better (relatively).
Every Game and Watch is different.
GnW is an aerial kind of character; the air is your playground. But know when there are times you need to stay grounded.
You need to space with GnW. Practice it.
Dtilt is good.
His grab kind of sucks, but if you can predict and read people well then that shouldn't be a problem.
GnW honestly is all about predicting and reading. It honestly takes time to get used to.

You said it Alphicans!

I always thought GaW was one of the easiest characters to pick-up, but I guess we're all different. =^_^=
Game and Watch is an "easy" character to pick up, but hard to get good with.
I think most of GnW is knowledge and reaction based with experience on the side.
If you can't react that well playing GnW is going to be tough. (You have to know when/how to kill (react where people land, where they go, etc.), reacting to tech-chases, etc.)
And of course we all play differently. No GnW is the same.

Gosh, i hate to admit it, but I am getting kinda bored with G&W XD
Ehhn! That happens to a lot of us.
GnW bored syndrome?
He's just so linear (literally, too!) that it may not seem as exciting. The best suggestion I can give (and anyone; because a lot of people tend to get bored with their character.) is to pick up another one. No harm in that. You can hit so many plateaus with GnW that having a secondary on the side for some times will help you get over those plateaus. Not only that, picking up another character can definitely help your GnW get better as you become better overall as a player.

Also got it. After the 8 badge the story get WTF messed up. But I let you discover that.
We should play some time, overgamer! And messed up? o-o; Also, after the 8 badge do you get old Pokemon or will it always stick with Unova(?) region?

Exdeath

Smash Master
They punish each other pretty hard, but it's mostly on the burden for G&W to get in. If G&W didn't edge guard ZSS as well as he does, I would think that it's a solid advantage to ZSS.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Old Pokémon start appearing in the post-E4.

Also, I've already beaten the game in Japanese, playing through it in French now, and I plan on eventually getting the English version for VGC.

Triforce Of Chozo

Smash Ace
Like Day said, find a new character to work on on the side. I mess around with spacies when I get bored, it helps me appreciate what an awesome recovery G&W has.
For the help with reading, pick Snake and play scrubs, there are plenty of them online.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
They punish each other pretty hard, but it's mostly on the burden for G&W to get in. If G&W didn't edge guard ZSS as well as he does, I would think that it's a solid advantage to ZSS.
Well sort of. She can force approaches with pressure (like sideB), but if we really wanted we could just run away from her fairly easy.

Day why do we get ***** in the air? It's not like uair beats our dair or anything.... I'd say we're both pretty ineffective while juggling each other in the air.

overgamer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5026-4413-8581

We should play some time, overgamer! And messed up? o-o; Also, after the 8 badge do you get old Pokemon or will it always stick with Unova(?) region?

You're still stuck on the same region, but you get the national pokedex and can catch old pokemons after the main plot.

I just find the story quiet unusual for a pokemon series. Also when I watched the intro movie when you start the game for the first time, I had the feeling it had nothing to do with pokemon. Bah anyway, I just got surprised about the last few events that occurs in the game. :)

Rizen

Smash Legend
Thanks

Obviously some characters excel at certain things, but every play style has its uses for every character. Game and watch requires you to be aggressive when needed, be defensive when needed, is a very spacing orientated character, is a fantastic airborne character, can combat on the ground (upB OoS, dtilt etc.) has an incredible downthrow, and great uthrow options on a couple characters, has great punishes (from his smashes), you can actually spam smashes due to the very low cool down, and his tilts are generally good (utilt and dtilt are great).
Okay, that's helpful:). I need to focus more on my air game and when to be/not be aggressive.
Anyway Arizen, once you get pro at GaW, you'll find that his ATs are great! Bucket Braking, D-Throw Tech Chase, RAR-ing.
Lol I need to bucket break with Nairs but I keep Bair-ing. Tech-chasing is awesome but landing grabs is hard:c.

Every Game and Watch is different.
GnW is an aerial kind of character; the air is your playground. But know when there are times you need to stay grounded.
You need to space with GnW. Practice it.
Dtilt is good.
His grab kind of sucks, but if you can predict and read people well then that shouldn't be a problem.
GnW honestly is all about predicting and reading. It honestly takes time to get used to.

Game and Watch is an "easy" character to pick up, but hard to get good with.
I think most of GnW is knowledge and reaction based with experience on the side.
If you can't react that well playing GnW is going to be tough. (You have to know when/how to kill (react where people land, where they go, etc.), reacting to tech-chases, etc.)
And of course we all play differently. No GnW is the same.
I feel this way. Good info, I need to start Dtilting more:bee:.
I know the feeling:glare:. I'm learning G&W, PT, and Zelda and maining Link right now. Practice new characters vs computers then people then wifi because you won't learn anything from wifi until you know the character. Try to find good 'tutors' for the character you're learning. Linkz helped my Zelda a lot.
I only have CPUs and wifi:urg:.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I keep bucket breaking with UAir. It's annoying the times when I die, and I know that had I NAir'd, those few extra frames would have been enough to bucket. It's a shocking amount of times where it would make the difference.

overgamer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5026-4413-8581
I keep bucket breaking with UAir. It's annoying the times when I die, and I know that had I NAir'd, those few extra frames would have been enough to bucket. It's a shocking amount of times where it would make the difference.
It's because you focus too much on DIing. DI first than you must quickly release the stick (which is hard when it's not a habbit). Go into practice mode, and keep trying until you do it naturally. That's how I learned it.

I found someone better than utdwack at judgements
check him out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMw8B6VIaKM
Haha this is pretty old, but yeah CPUs are wicked sick. :p

9-BiT

Smash Cadet
Like Day said, find a new character to work on on the side. I mess around with spacies when I get bored, it helps me appreciate what an awesome recovery G&W has.
For the help with reading, pick Snake and play scrubs, there are plenty of them online.
Yah, im trying marth, he's pretty fun.

Exdeath

Smash Master
Well sort of. She can force approaches with pressure (like sideB), but if we really wanted we could just run away from her fairly easy.

Day why do we get ***** in the air? It's not like uair beats our dair or anything.... I'd say we're both pretty ineffective while juggling each other in the air.
G&W can run away, but certainly not indefinitely. ZSS' Uair does practically beat G&W's Dair. G&W and ZSS juggle trap each other just fine.

-Ominous-

Smash Journeyman
So...I've been playing some new people lately, and not doing too great. Not necessarily bad, but not winning. I played some characters I haven't played before, and I wasn't use to the matchup. Characters like Lucario and ZSS who don't necessarily have an advantage over G&W, but I was new to the matchup. So I was thinking maybe we should have a single thread devoted to those matchups that are just about even for G&W. Just like a quick list of things to do/expect.
^Right here.

And playing ZSS didn't feel like a real disadvantage to me. Just, it was a new experience I had to get used to.

-Ominous-

Smash Journeyman

Omnious, where is your post about it?
So...I've been playing some new people lately, and not doing too great. Not necessarily bad, but not winning. I played some characters I haven't played before, and I wasn't use to the matchup. Characters like Lucario and ZSS who don't necessarily have an advantage over G&W, but I was new to the matchup. So I was thinking maybe we should have a single thread devoted to those matchups that are just about even for G&W. Just like a quick list of things to do/expect.
^Right here. It was on the same page as your post.

And playing ZSS didn't feel like a real disadvantage to me. Just, it was a new experience I had to get used to. I'd only say 50:50...maybe 55:45 for ZSS.

Edit: Sorry for the double post...you can't delete posts? I thought you could...

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
ZSS I feel is a matchup that just everyone could improve at. She has some really really silly punishes. She also happens to have some really really silly weaknesses that people aren't used to exploiting. Such as crouching.

Exdeath

Smash Master
ZSS is free as all Hell until you play one who is at least decent. Considering that the only decent ones are in the North Atlantic/South, that really makes it hard to understand the match-up from an experiential point of view.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
I suppose I could agree to that. Of course I've played decent wifi ZSS, and I've played a pretty good ZSS in my region, but I can't say I've ever played an exceptional ZSS offline. It just feels even to me whenever I play it, or even when I see it. :/

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
It's definitely in ZSS' favor but not by a huge amount.

and yes, her u-air beats our d-air

The only way I can see us winning this is by running in and shielding A LOT. All of her attacks will be punished and if she grabs and misses that's a free kill move

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
55:45 ZSS's favor at worst
I agree with GIMR ,running and shielding lol.

Also if you powershield her side B while dashing,it's a free Fair and it sends her offstage for ****. I know,lolpowershield, but it's actually not that hard to pull off if you predict it.

Exdeath

Smash Master
It's definitely in ZSS' favor but not by a huge amount.

and yes, her u-air beats our d-air

The only way I can see us winning this is by running in and shielding A LOT. All of her attacks will be punished and if she grabs and misses that's a free kill move
Dash-shield is good, but G&W has more ways than that to get in. Empty full-hop>react is a very good bait to the point where it can be used as a pseudo-approach.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
GIMR are you sure uair straight up beats dair? I think she has to come in on an angle, but I guess since the hitbox is so huge, it's pretty easy to space. Still I don't think it beats us if she comes in head on.

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
yeah but since sh'e coming from below and has better horizontal momentum then us, she can beat it every time

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Hmm I dunno about this. I've challenged ZSS uair plenty and I usually come out on top. Doesn't matter if it's wifi because the moves still operate the same way.

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
It's harder for her to do it on wifi correctly. She still has to space right, but, because of her superior horizontal momentum she should hit it every time

Exdeath

Smash Master
Hmm I dunno about this. I've challenged ZSS uair plenty and I usually come out on top. Doesn't matter if it's wifi because the moves still operate the same way.
I think that Dair's vertical range is similar to ZSS' Uair, however her Uair has a lot more horizontal range and her aerial horizontal movement allows her to pretty much effortlessly out-space Dair.

Top Bottom