• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PGD: Happy Birthday, Red!

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
I read that this year's Apex was an exceptionally poorly run tourney. I'm sure everyone played pools but like the venue couldn't handle the amount of people there and matches took forever to be played.
reminds me of apex 2010, and how roller, leaf, others who arent here anymore and ussi almost missed our pools because we all stayed up too late the night before and almost didnt get up in time lol

PZ

Smash Lord
I am now curious of the attendance number of each apex to see if the sheer amount of people or avenue had something to do with the pools. I didn't really watch the stream but for the few moments I did I am impressed by what potential the East brings every year.

Phantom Gamer

<font color="#ff00ff">pranked!</font>
I read that this year's Apex was an exceptionally poorly run tourney. I'm sure everyone played pools but like the venue couldn't handle the amount of people there and matches took forever to be played.
APEX 2013 in a nutshell.

Maybe even every APEX in a nutshell, but I dunno how well they ran every APEX tourney so I can't say for sure.

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
In regards to this whole smash talk:

A friend of mine I met at my new university has aspirations to be a good brawl peach. Hes coming along and like all he ever does is play, which has coincidentally drug me into being sort of a "coach" to help him get better and has given me some sort of reason to keep up with him

tl;dr: i have somehow found myself being sucked into smash yet again when I had gone 2 years of being completely smash celibate. Its like a drug relapse i swear.

Phoenix Lord'

Lord' of the Night
Premium
NNID
HououDaimyo1010
3DS FC
3780-9286-8943
Yup. It was even worse for people who entered multiple games and had two different pools going on at the same time, 'cause they had to jump between games after every set just to not get DQed. But that may have just been me.

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
oh i get it, theyre called pools because the better "swimmers" drown the other ones. I had swimming lessons, get at me APEX.

In other news, final fantasy X HD collection is being released in Murica in March...finally. If you havent had a chance to listen to the remastered OST of X it's really well composed and the game overall has an obviously clearer look and included the dark aeons and a super boss called penance not available in the old version.

There's my tidbit on buying a game, continue please thread

Scatz

Smash Champion
Apex, last year, was in the same issue somewhat. The matches for Brawl ran over so long that people didn't finish R1 until nearly midnight, then we had to bounce back up at 8 am and play R2. It was extremely brutal. I don't mind Bracket Pools since they're not as unforgiving as MLG brackets, but they're designed to be extremely hard from the start.

Thor

Smash Champion
Oh gawd that sounds like debate tournaments. Except at those we're supposed to shower and commute there so we have to get up at like 6.

Guess my 4 years of debate will have prepared me for entering SSB_ tournaments when I finally manage to suck less at Smash.

Congrats to ESAM for getting so far. I heard he took 3rd?

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Apex, last year, was in the same issue somewhat. The matches for Brawl ran over so long that people didn't finish R1 until nearly midnight, then we had to bounce back up at 8 am and play R2. It was extremely brutal. I don't mind Bracket Pools since they're not as unforgiving as MLG brackets, but they're designed to be extremely hard from the start.
Not as unforgiving? If anything, they're worse because your chances of having to play the person you lost to or people you already beat are even higher because you're literally stuck with them the entire tourney. Regular brackets at least flip sides every other round.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Bracket pools are just faster end of story

You want to play to get better? Friendlies, locals, regionals, money matches exist. This is an international where you gotta be ready to beat anyone you run into. If you want to just play people then just come and play friendlies. Heck it can just be a fun smash trip for ya. Pretty much most locals who don't want to enter just go to play/meet others and save money from not entering bracket.

I know from the way pools are seeded, not known locals are thrown into any pool as filler.

Apex 2010 was blah, my pool didn't even write on the pool sheet, mainly cause they didn't have it until i came and brought it to them. my pool was playing on the wrong TV while i sat there at the desinated TV waiting 20 minutes for the rest of my pool after i played the pool leader Anti.

Phoenix Lord'

Lord' of the Night
Premium
NNID
HououDaimyo1010
3DS FC
3780-9286-8943
That doesn't mean pools are bad, it just means pools were run poorly at Apex 2010.

But the worst part of this Apex wasn't the bracket pools or the small venue, it was the fact that the "nametags" didn't have names on them again. And they didn't supply us with a marker to write our own names on them like they did last year, so everyone was walking around nameless as if it were some kind of masquerade ball. Nobody was actually wearing masks, though, so I guess it wasn't much of a masquerade ball, but that didn't stop me from not knowing who anybody was.

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
biases present, but regardless it was a fun tourney while I agree that the time I went pools were poorly run and there were way too many overlaps in between games. I remember m2k losing at melee then having to go lose immediately at brawl lol. That said my pool was fun, even tho it had earth, too many mk's, and a decent IC's in it

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
bracket pools are not very fun. "just get better" sounds good until you realize that even if every single entrant improves 50% of the attendees are always going to be limited to two matches no matter what. RR pools are superior in every way besides time unfortunately

Phoenix Lord'

Lord' of the Night
Premium
NNID
HououDaimyo1010
3DS FC
3780-9286-8943
Actually, only 25% of attendees would be limited to 2 sets. There's a whole 25% of attendees who get 3 sets that you're not counting.

Scatz

Smash Champion
Not as unforgiving? If anything, they're worse because your chances of having to play the person you lost to or people you already beat are even higher because you're literally stuck with them the entire tourney. Regular brackets at least flip sides every other round.
Seems you didn't understand me completely. REGULAR brackets (the ones we're used to) is the simplest way to accommodate players (high and low level). FGC Bracket Pools are meant to weed out and only bring about the top players. It's extremely unforgiving because losing once means that you'll ALWAYS have to work twice as hard even if you were to make it to Pro Brackets. MLG brackets are unforgiving because you have to make sure you're on top of your game at all times. The moment you run into the person that beat you, they already have the set advantage over you.

Now that I think about it, FGC Brackets are the most unforgiving due to the fact that losing does not get reset when you get out of bracket pools.

In any case, meeting the person that beat you is of no relevance since you'll end up meeting them at some point in every type of pool/bracket play. You just need to step it up.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Bracket pools are the only way to logically run multiple 100+ man tournaments, let alone multiple 350+ man tournaments, ESPECIALLY in a game that takes as long as smash. Marvel/SF sets can last between 13 minutes (absolute time-out-every-match maximum) to like 2 minutes minimum. Smash MINIMALLY has like 5-6 minutes per set, possibly extended to 24 in a BO3. It is NECESSARY to do this for multiple games, otherwise they wouldn't finish.

The only thing that didn't run well was doubles, and by extension Brawl Singles. Teams had door sign-ups so they had to make the bracket afterwards, which takes time in a national tournament setting (Obviously). Considering doubles was run super late, it made singles day 2 start really late, but honestly that didn't matter too much.

I didn't really mind how it was run, or the lack of space, at all. **** was hype.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Sigh. Someday.

In the meantime, can anyone more qualified to pick out this year's most hype matches than myself point me to uploads of said hype matches?
One of these days I'm going to use the word hype and not sound like a fuddy-duddy. It will probably not be in any sentence where the term "fuddy-duddy" appears.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
Esam will get them next year in every game man; in doubles and singles.

That's a great pic btw even though he could have worn a better fitting shirt. That whole gallery is damn good actually.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Bracket pools are the only way to logically run multiple 100+ man tournaments, let alone multiple 350+ man tournaments, ESPECIALLY in a game that takes as long as smash. Marvel/SF sets can last between 13 minutes (absolute time-out-every-match maximum) to like 2 minutes minimum. Smash MINIMALLY has like 5-6 minutes per set, possibly extended to 24 in a BO3. It is NECESSARY to do this for multiple games, otherwise they wouldn't finish.

The only thing that didn't run well was doubles, and by extension Brawl Singles. Teams had door sign-ups so they had to make the bracket afterwards, which takes time in a national tournament setting (Obviously). Considering doubles was run super late, it made singles day 2 start really late, but honestly that didn't matter too much.

I didn't really mind how it was run, or the lack of space, at all. **** was hype.
Lol it looks like a general consensus among high level players that bracket pools are fine.

Top Bottom