• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Phantom Knight will protect her from now on ^^

XTheElegantShadowX

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3625-7979-8675
Oh my, yes. Yes! YES!

I can see her new Down B helping her camping and defensive game over all. If Din's Fire proves to be overall buffed, I don't think that Phantom being able to be reflected will hurt that much. Hmm... I wonder if Zelda can charge and hold it like Samus and Lucario can their Neutral B's.

Sheik is going to be a nightmare to fight now. That new Side B looks ridiculous. XD

Zelda looks like she'll be mid-tier, but even if she's still at the bottom, I'm just happy that they updated her moveset again.

*Starts to do happy dance.*

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Overall, I'm very pleased with this change (the removal of transformation characters). ZSS was more independent than Sheik, given that you needed a Smashball to switch, but I approve in that case too.

I like that they're both getting new down-B's, and it seems Sheik has replaced one of her other moves (I'm guessing it's Chain, which was pretty crap). I didn't really switch between them much and it took too long to switch for it to be useful for quick changes to use a particular move (like say, Din's Fire).

I think both Zelda and Sheik will be more fun to play as now.

I would've been completely fine with Sheik being replaced with Impa in this scenario, but I would've been very annoyed if Sheik simply got cut.

But I just knew that there was no way Impa was getting in, she's too minor. Sorry Diddy. But maybe you'll appreciate being able to play as a fully realized Sheikah character?
(Sheik is a man again, see... no boobs)
She's got em, she's just not busty like ZSS.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I lol'd so hard as soon as I saw Sheik revealed.

I was like..."YEAH. SHEIK'S STILL HERE. PHANTOM KNIGHT MIGHT BE THERE, BUT IMPA AIN'T TAKING NOBODY'S SPOT"!

...sorry. Had to get that off my chest.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Well well well looks like both Phantom Knight AND Sheik made it in... Everyone wins!

Except Impa supporters. ;)

Last edited:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I love how literally everyone in this thread were right and wrong at the same time.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Hmm, looks like the Phantom Knight is her downward special after all. Definitely looks like a useful move.

Anyhow, I am glad they finally decided to make Zelda and Sheik separate characters this time around; I have wanted this to happen since the pre-Brawl days.

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
Nice to see Zelda getting a new move. It looks useful and versatile, but I don't yet know how I would use it. Sheik returning is a plus, too.

Last edited:

andimidna

Smash Master
I love how literally everyone in this thread were right and wrong at the same time.
In the end, it was win-win for me.
I like transforming into Sheik. But Phantom Zelda makes an awesome move.

And I'm so glad I don't have to play as Samus and get a Smash Ball to play as ZZS...
Because it was so difficult to play as her, my time playing as her was special, really looking forward to that.
And I'm so glad they changed up Sheik's specials. They weren't great.

Can't believe Phantom Zelda wasn't an assist though... but those purple flames really suited the move.
Huh. Really interesting.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
And I'm so glad I don't have to play as Samus and get a Smash Ball to play as ZZS...
Because it was so difficult to play as her, my time playing as her was special, really looking forward to that.
You know you don't need a Smash Ball to play as ZSS, right?

You can play as her from the beginning of the match by holding L or R on the GC controller while you switch to the stage select screen. And you can also switch at any time during a match by pressing up and down taunt alternating in rapid succession.

andimidna

Smash Master
You know you don't need a Smash Ball to play as ZSS, right?

You can play as her from the beginning of the match by holding L or R on the GC controller while you switch to the stage select screen. And you can also switch at any time during a match by pressing up and down taunt alternating in rapid succession.
Yea, I've been told.
But when i tried, I failed and gave up quickly...
Looks I won't need to now, so I guess I'll never need to figure it out!
Just trying to find a positive in a 2nd Metroid slot that's not Ridley or Dark Samus...

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
You know what was the best part about Sheik's reveal? That Gerudo Valley remix!!! So epic!

It was really funny who everyone here was right and wrong. I kind of liked transformations in battle, but you know what? I've already gotten over that. Sheik and ZSS are back, they just don't shift forms mid battle anymore. No big deal.

That Phantom move seems heavy and powerful, but it can be reflected. It's basically a strong projectile move.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I see 3 usages for the phantom, now we see it in action: Attack, protection, and decoy.
All that's matters to me is that our favorite Sheikah is back and that the phantom is not a lame IA controlled summon honestly :laugh:

I'm really looking forward this move now.
Again, I liked switching mid-battle, but my friends know me for playing Zelda, not Sheik :)

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
Hey, Diddy, you were right after all, phantom will protect her from now on... because Sheik has his own slot! :awesome:

jk

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
The only thing I'm wondering about is how useful the move is going to be. I mean, just because she was given a new move doesn't mean its great. You know, if she's hit during the cast time, does it cancel it? Is it like Din's Fire and just come out anyway?

Do you have to charge it for a certain duration for it to be released? It looks that way. Does charging it shoot him out farther? I could see it as a good ledge guard option.

I'm hoping its easy to combo with, like Dash Attack > Phantom Slash or Din's Fire > Phantom Slash

Also interested in how it works in the air.. maybe it propels her forward? If she uses it, does she go into helpless? Does she pause the first time she uses it like when Peach uses Toad?

Interesting that both all princesses have somewhat of a counter move now. Phantom Slash, Toad, and Gravitational pull.

Will it protect her from a Falcon Punch? Could she follow up with a grab immediately after negating someones move?

I'm gettting really excited now. LOL.

Can someone get gifs of the move in action so we can study it?

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
The only thing I'm wondering about is how useful the move is going to be. I mean, just because she was given a new move doesn't mean its great. You know, if she's hit during the cast time, does it cancel it? Is it like Din's Fire and just come out anyway?

Do you have to charge it for a certain duration for it to be released? It looks that way. Does charging it shoot him out farther? I could see it as a good ledge guard option.

I'm hoping its easy to combo with, like Dash Attack > Phantom Slash or Din's Fire > Phantom Slash

Also interested in how it works in the air.. maybe it propels her forward? If she uses it, does she go into helpless? Does she pause the first time she uses it like when Peach uses Toad?

Interesting that both all princesses have somewhat of a counter move now. Phantom Slash, Toad, and Gravitational pull.

Will it protect her from a Falcon Punch? Could she follow up with a grab immediately after negating someones move?

I'm gettting really excited now. LOL.

Can someone get gifs of the move in action so we can study it?
What I've noticed about the charge so far is:

1. More charge = More distance. Simply put.

2. More charge makes the Phantom do a more powerful swing. (Over 90 degree anti-air huge swing at high charge VS a simple horizontal slash at low charge.)

3. The Phantom will linger in front of Zelda longer with more charge. You can see in the Zelda portion of the stream she finishes her animation and the Phantom is there as a "shield" for about a second at low charge. At high charge it was there for 2 seconds, while Zelda seems free to move. So i's like a semi-shield.

Honestly, there are so many questions I have about it that, when answered will tell how good it will really be.

I'm hoping for mid-air use, and for the mininum charge version to be useful as well... < . <

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I lol'd so hard as soon as I saw Sheik revealed.

I was like..."YEAH. SHEIK'S STILL HERE. PHANTOM KNIGHT MIGHT BE THERE, BUT IMPA AIN'T TAKING NOBODY'S SPOT"!

...sorry. Had to get that off my chest.

:glare:

At least I got it right that the Phantom is Down B. But that Sheik was to get her own spot? Damn that really sucks.

Guess Impa could still get in as a semi-clone of Sheik now that she's a full character of her own but... This is quite a big kick in the nuts.

Oh well... At least I was not DEAD WRONG like Ridley supporters where. :rolleyes:

Phantom will be an amazing special move however...
Just trying to find a positive in a 2nd Metroid slot that's not Ridley or Dark Samus...

Last edited:

Katy Parry

NNID
justysuxx
Another question that rises is, if it's not a projectile, can it protect her? I'm wondering if Zelda is coming back to stage and is about to be fsmashed by DDD/Marth, will the phantom absorb the blow? Will DDD/Marth get pushed back? (When moves cancel each other out?)

GUYS. What if Phantom Slash absorbs blows from recovery moves? Like, Link uses his up B to recover, Phantom Slash absorbs the blow, AND IT CAUSES LINK TO GO INTO HELPLESS?

PLEASE WORK THAT WAY

Thoughts?!

Last edited:

Accf124

Smash Journeyman
While I did want the phantom to be similar to Villagers tree where you can place and leave it there, I can also see this being pretty useful.

Katy Parry

NNID
justysuxx

Anyone notice something? Zelda is facing the same way in both clips, but in the top clip, the "portal" is infront of her.

The bottom clip shows the portal being charged behind her.

Any guesses?

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
Maybe you can change direction with it? Or maybe...down-b reversals? That sounds weird to me, though. Probably just an option to change direction.

Katy Parry

NNID
justysuxx
Maybe you can change direction with it? Or maybe...down-b reversals? That sounds weird to me, though. Probably just an option to change direction.
But she's already facing the same direction, and the attack comes out the same way.

negativeX

Smash Apprentice
But she's already facing the same direction, and the attack comes out the same way.
One the phantom seems to just swing while the other the phantom charges with his sword in front for a jab and then performs an uppercut on collision.

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
Hmm...good point. Maybe it can act as a surprise attack? As in even though Zelda is facing one direction, you can send it the other way. I'm also thinking that the charge time results in more powerful or multiple attacks from the Phantom.

The joys of speculation.

Katy Parry

NNID
justysuxx
Hmm...good point. Maybe it can act as a surprise attack? As in even though Zelda is facing one direction, you can send it the other way. I'm also thinking that the charge time results in more powerful or multiple attacks from the Phantom.

The joys of speculation.
I know right? Like, I'm wondering if its charged for let's say, 6 seconds (I know she'd be hit by then but bare with me), if it would absorb an attack and then take priority, like some attacks do. Idk. It looks pretty powerful. I'm just wanting this as a safe mechanic.

Because, I mean... why have Nayru's Love AND this move? It makes no sense to me. Nayru's love seems like a better defensive option. I'd rather reflect an attack than absorb it...

Last edited:

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
Maybe it's customization. You can customize the Phantom to generate from behind, perform a slash or jab, or be more defensive. That'd be my guess.

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
I know right? Like, I'm wondering if its charged for let's say, 6 seconds (I know she'd be hit by then but bare with me), if it would absorb an attack and then take priority, like some attacks do. Idk. It looks pretty powerful. I'm just wanting this as a safe mechanic.

Because, I mean... why have Nayru's Love AND this move? It makes no sense to me. Nayru's love seems like a better defensive option. I'd rather reflect an attack than absorb it...
I'm trying to find a situation where I would use this move. Maybe as a spacer? Seems too limited in range to be a "get off me" move (Naryu's Love's job). Kind of predictable and slow for an approach imo.
Maybe it's customization. You can customize the Phantom to generate from behind, perform a slash or jab, or be more defensive. That'd be my guess.
Wow, I forgot about that. That could very well be the case.

Katy Parry

NNID
justysuxx
Didn't think about that. I forgot about the custom movesets, and from the trailer, they seem to be pretty aimed towards just special moves. Good thought.

I'm trying to find a situation where I would use this move. Maybe as a spacer? Seems too limited in range to be a "get off me" move (Naryu's Love's job). Kind of predictable and slow for an approach imo.
I'm thinking ledge guarding of course, easily, but then again, Din's Fire just got stronger. Maybe it'll be better in certain situations. It seems to cover a large distance pretty quickly, and it might even have greater knockback/killing potential. The GIF I made of Zelda hitting Fox seemed to launch him pretty far.

Maybe in the air it'll have different properties? Spike anyone?

Last edited:

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
D'aww, thanks fellas. *blush* I feel all smart and stuff.

Anywho, I'm excited for the Phantom now. I'm thinking edge-guarding will be a good role for the big lug, as well as popping him out there uncharged to disrupt attacks and/or just confuse the enemy (aka, my cousin who I know will continually forget that I can do that). Mwahahaha.

Katy Parry

NNID
justysuxx
D'aww, thanks fellas. *blush* I feel all smart and stuff.

Anywho, I'm excited for the Phantom now. I'm thinking edge-guarding will be a good role for the big lug, as well as popping him out there uncharged to disrupt attacks and/or just confuse the enemy (aka, my cousin who I know will continually forget that I can do that). Mwahahaha.
I'm thinking it can come instantly at close range for a insanely quick attack. I mean, I would love this to combo from down throw.

Sausage Zeldas

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sanics
3DS FC
2509-2629-0987
I wonder what happens when it goes off an edge. I'm thinking it'll either stop at the edge or just act like other grounded projectiles and fall diagonally. The former would be handy for guarding, especially at higher charges where the knight lasts longer, while the latter would be potentially amazing for gimping if you can aim it right.
Also, will the portal have any sort of a hitbox, like Aura Sphere? Or even like Lucas' PSI Magnet to get some extra damage on the sendout?

L2 Sentinel

Smash Apprentice
I'm so glad I was wrong about the Phantom Knight being an assist trophy. I wanted her and Sheik to be separated, I just didn't have my hopes up. Now Zelda is a stand-alone character! I'm thrilled! And the way the Phantom was implemented exceeds my expectations. I can't wait to see what strategies open up for Zelda now.

Sad times about Ivysaur and Squirtle, though. With Pikachu, Lucario, Charizard, and now Greninja, there is probably only room for one more Pokemon, and Jigglypuff's chances are probably better than either Ivysaur's or Squirtle's.

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
Zelda seems to go back to her idle before the phantom disappears, at least on the charged version. Meaning that it probably could give you a little protection while you use Din's fire.

Master Morrison

Smash Cadet
Now what I want to know is
Can you use phantom in the air?
If she could that would make it more useful
Also does din still make Zelda helpless in the air?
Man I wish Zelda wouldn't be helpless a lot lol but ya they should have shown a lot more on the phantom because to me it just seems like another tool that will be situational and not to be spammed against certain characters like villager and quick reflecting characters like fox and mario

Daz Larc

Smash Rookie
my idea why the portal was behind her without it being custom. Remember cptn falcon can turn during his falcon punch to attack the other direction, maybe she can do the same while the portal is opening up?

Logsmash

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LogMash
Another question that rises is, if it's not a projectile, can it protect her? I'm wondering if Zelda is coming back to stage and is about to be fsmashed by DDD/Marth, will the phantom absorb the blow? Will DDD/Marth get pushed back? (When moves cancel each other out?)

GUYS. What if Phantom Slash absorbs blows from recovery moves? Like, Link uses his up B to recover, Phantom Slash absorbs the blow, AND IT CAUSES LINK TO GO INTO HELPLESS?

PLEASE WORK THAT WAY

Thoughts?!
I think it counts as a projectile? Even if it doesn't, Villager can still Pocket it (that was hilarious). And yes you can use it defensively, because you can send it out to take a hit, which will then cause it to disappear, leaving you unharmed.

What I want to know is if she can move/act while the Phantom is attacking. If so, you could do a quick DownB UpB to send the Phantom out and quickly teleport away, which could be useful for creating a gap or securing a kill during a fall or something. Another combo (assuming it works like this) would be Spirit Phantom followed by Din's Fire. Phantom charges out, either hits enemy and knocks them back or takes a hit and dissipates leaving enemy exposed, meanwhile you unleash Din's Fire and, timing it just right, open up a fiery can of explosion all over the opponent's face. If either of these work, I'll definitely have to consider playing Zelda Sm4sh.

Katy Parry

NNID
justysuxx
I think it counts as a projectile? Even if it doesn't, Villager can still Pocket it (that was hilarious). And yes you can use it defensively, because you can send it out to take a hit, which will then cause it to disappear, leaving you unharmed.

What I want to know is if she can move/act while the Phantom is attacking. If so, you could do a quick DownB UpB to send the Phantom out and quickly teleport away, which could be useful for creating a gap or securing a kill during a fall or something. Another combo (assuming it works like this) would be Spirit Phantom followed by Din's Fire. Phantom charges out, either hits enemy and knocks them back or takes a hit and dissipates leaving enemy exposed, meanwhile you unleash Din's Fire and, timing it just right, open up a fiery can of explosion all over the opponent's face. If either of these work, I'll definitely have to consider playing Zelda Sm4sh.

I'm sure they will work just like you described. Even if she doesn't have time to land it instantly (Din's Fire) you can still harass with it.

I think this will be insanely useful when someone is trying to approach.

But what I'm saying is, Zelda is still ask risk even if the Phantom is absorbed. If fox comes down with a kick and it hits phantom, it'll still hit Zelda. Sex kicks have much longer duration. It'll help her dodge a stronger blow. But just because the phantom takes the hit doesn't mean the move is negated. At least I think. Does that make sense?

Top Bottom