• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Phantom Knight will protect her from now on ^^

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
I'm just glad they separated Zelda and Sheik.

Impa would've been cool too. I would've been fine with her.

But there's only one Impa that's worth putting in (Skyward Sword Impa) and there's only one game with Sheik.

But Sheik was in Melee and Brawl and veterans don't get cut that easily. And Sheik is from the highest-selling and presumably most popular Zelda title. And Sheik is from the most critically acclaimed video game of all time (statistically tied with the Mario Galaxies). And Sheik is Princess Zelda and so represents one of the Triforce characters. That battle was never in Impa's favor, no matter how much you wanted it to be.
But what I'm saying is, Zelda is still ask risk even if the Phantom is absorbed. If fox comes down with a kick and it hits phantom, it'll still hit Zelda. Sex kicks have much longer duration. It'll help her dodge a stronger blow. But just because the phantom takes the hit doesn't mean the move is negated. At least I think. Does that make sense?
Assuming the Phantom's sword doesn't come out in time... I'd guess it would have higher priority than Fox's aerial...

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'm just glad they separated Zelda and Sheik.

Impa would've been cool too. I would've been fine with her.

But there's only one Impa that's worth putting in (Skyward Sword Impa) and there's only one game with Sheik.

But Sheik was in Melee and Brawl and veterans don't get cut that easily. And Sheik is from the highest-selling and presumably most popular Zelda title. And Sheik is from the most critically acclaimed video game of all time (statistically tied with the Mario Galaxies). And Sheik is Princess Zelda and so represents one of the Triforce characters. That battle was never in Impa's favor, no matter how much you wanted it to be.
Sheik has had a few cameos to however, in Tekken Wii U and Scribblenauts Wii U. Not that that should count for anything... But still.

Really, the fight was pretty 50/50 I felt. We really had a huge chance when the Phantom's role indeed wasn't revealed yet. Everyone was claiming the Phantom SHOULD BE an AT, whilst even though no ATs had been confirmed like this yet, and Zelda was taking a new stance completely.

Eventually, Sheik pretty much got in cause of OOT3D. But the fact they got split up is quite interessting. I could still see Sheik get cut for Impa's favor if Impa would get even more influential roles in main Zelda games like she had in Skyward Sword. However, she's also going to be playable in Hyrule Warriors along with Link.

And look how she fights:

One cannot argue that Impa would not make an amazing character in Smash Bros., cause she would. And she doesn't have to be similar to Sheik at all.

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
Sheik has had a few cameos to however, in Tekken Wii U and Scribblenauts Wii U. Not that that should count for anything... But still.

Really, the fight was pretty 50/50 I felt. We really had a huge chance when the Phantom's role indeed wasn't revealed yet. Everyone was claiming the Phantom SHOULD BE an AT, whilst even though no ATs had been confirmed like this yet, and Zelda was taking a new stance completely.

Eventually, Sheik pretty much got in cause of OOT3D. But the fact they got split up is quite interessting. I could still see Sheik get cut for Impa's favor if Impa would get even more influential roles in main Zelda games like she had in Skyward Sword. However, she's also going to be playable in Hyrule Warriors along with Link.

And look how she fights:

One cannot argue that Impa would not make an amazing character in Smash Bros., cause she would. And she doesn't have to be similar to Sheik at all.
Now, I can finally agree with you over Impa/Sheik, Diddy. I'm all for Impa, just not at Sheik's expense, and with her new longsword moves and such, I think she'd be amazing.

Oatmeal.

Part of a balanced breakfast.
I know this is really late, but I predicted this long before the direct. You know, that the phantom would be Zelda's down b and that Sheik would still return thing? Yeah, let me just say I knew it.

Kthxbai

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I know this is really late, but I predicted this long before the direct. You know, that the phantom would be Zelda's down b and that Sheik would still return thing? Yeah, let me just say I knew it.

Kthxbai
It was easily the least likely scenario to happen though...

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
I don't really like that ridiculous sword they gave Impa...

Otherwise the design is cool, like a combination of OoT and Skyward Sword.

(But Zelda, Sheik, Ganondorf and a number of more minor characters will probably be playable in Hyrule Warriors, so it might not be that special.)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The plot is to safe princess Zelda, I doubt she or any variation of her will be playable.

Not even too sure about Ganondorf even! So far, it looks like he is not the main villain of the game. Not sure how else Ganondorf would fit in.

And if they had Zelda, Sheik and Ganondorf playable, why would they reveal Impa first? Am not convinced.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Plot wise, it makes sense that Impa is one of the first playable character, as both Link and Impa are royal knights.
Also, Zelda playable can happen. Because you have to save her doesn't mean you save her at the end of the game. And she already proved in several games that she is able to fight (well, especially during final boss fights :troll:)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I guess that's right. And Zelda would really be nice if they actually used the OOT Din's Fire and Nayru's Love and of course the Light Arrows, and maybe the rapier from TP. But am not quite expecting it yet, especially as Link gets items like the Fire Rod.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I'm totally expecting it, even as a post game, unlockable character. That's an opportunity they can't miss.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'm totally expecting it, even as a post game, unlockable character. That's an opportunity they can't miss.
Post-game, I could indeed see it happen. However, I have difficulties to picture any other version of Zelda playable, alas, Sheik but also Tetra. Could be wrong though. Think that they'll likely create a few new characters. Most likely, a Goron will be playable at least. But think we might also see a Gerudo, at least, I hope so.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Gerudos have been absent for a long time, but the OOT Gerudos could easily be made playable with that halberd they have. Zoras could work to, but they have been replaced too many times lately by other... strange, watery things. Plus, there's Impa with the water element and all.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
The plot is to safe princess Zelda, I doubt she or any variation of her will be playable.

Not even too sure about Ganondorf even! So far, it looks like he is not the main villain of the game. Not sure how else Ganondorf would fit in.

And if they had Zelda, Sheik and Ganondorf playable, why would they reveal Impa first? Am not convinced.
Because Zelda and Ganondorf are probably hidden characters if they're playable, and/or they don't want to reveal too many spoilers. They made the villains not be established villains - that definitely makes it a lot easier to have someone like Ganondorf be playable.

My impression is that Dynasty Warriors games tend to have quite large casts who use a good variety of weapons/fighting styles. I doubt that they're going to fill out the cast with original characters, and I doubt that they'll scrape the bottom of the barrel for all of them (like including the chief of Ordun Village, say).

They have an opportunity to have some fun with the series. It's probably not going to be canon (or it will be canon in such a way that it doesn't really affect the timeline).

I'm expecting a large cast with a good deal of variety...

I think seeing Ganondorf, Zelda, Sheik, a Zora and a Goron are very strong possibilities.

Beyond that, they have a lot of choices like Midna, Vaati, Nabooru, Tetra, Zant, members of the TP Resistance, Ghirahim, Groose, a Rito, etc.

It would be kinda disappointing if they had a small cast, or filled it out with original characters. They have the whole Zelda franchise to draw from, they should make the most of it.

And it would also be quite disappointing if Impa was the most important character that was playable aside from Link.

Last edited:

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
From what I read, the Nintendo higher-ups were really impressed by the cast. I take that as a very good sign.

I definitely expect Zelda will be playable, and the game's focus will shift from her rescue to the recovery/repair of the tainted Triforce. Also, I think that Cia and her Volvagia guy (Volgan? I can't remember his actual name) will be late game recruits to fight the REAL villain: Ganondorf. Link and Impa are the tip of the iceberg, friends.

L2 Sentinel

Smash Apprentice
The plot is to safe princess Zelda...
You don't know that. Very little of the story has been revealed. The only thing we know is Link and friends are fighting to save Hyrule. Zelda could easily be an active participant in that fight. In fact, I'd be surprised if she wasn't. Since this is a hybrid of Dynasty Warriors, there is likely a huge cast of playable characters.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
You don't know that. Very little of the story has been revealed. The only thing we know is Link and friends are fighting to save Hyrule. Zelda could easily be an active participant in that fight. In fact, I'd be surprised if she wasn't. Since this is a hybrid of Dynasty Warriors, there is likely a huge cast of playable characters.
From the official site:

The delicate balance of the Triforce has been disrupted, and Hyrule Kingdom is once again being torn apart by a dark power, this time lead by Sorceress Cia. Now it’s up to the legendary hero Link to face hordes of enemies and find the missing Princess Zelda™.
http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/8yAfhMHGxHAyS8paJmVjQVK0mI9BUl-G

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
Finding the missing Zelda is not the same as "rescuing her". I mean, promos for Skyward Sword talked about venturing into the world below, which you do an hour into the game. Finding Zelda may be a major plot point, but it doesn't mean that it's the sole focus and end result. You may find that she's been fighting to restore the Triforce on her own and needs Link and Impa to build her an army to contend with Cia and co.'s dastardly ways. Point being, my money is on her being recruitable.

Zeldaisthegirl

Smash Journeyman
I still think she was just kidnapped by Cia, because it's a Dynasty Warriors game after all.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137

So you were saying about Zelda not being playable...? :troll:

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
So you were saying about Zelda not being playable...? :troll:
I'm almost never one to toot horns that I myself own, but... I CALLED IT. What I didn't call was Midna. HOLY FREAKING CRAP, Midna. I cannot wait.

And I'm really excited to see Zelda and her Phantom in the invitational tonight... (I'm so on topic...)

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
I'm almost never one to toot horns that I myself own, but... I CALLED IT. What I didn't call was Midna. HOLY FREAKING CRAP, Midna. I cannot wait.

And I'm really excited to see Zelda and her Phantom in the invitational tonight... (I'm so on topic...)
I'm expecting a large cast with a good deal of variety...

I think seeing Ganondorf, Zelda, Sheik, a Zora and a Goron are very strong possibilities.

Beyond that, they have a lot of choices like Midna, Vaati, Nabooru, Tetra, Zant, members of the TP Resistance, Ghirahim, Groose, a Rito, etc.
Based on their statements about how you'll be able to play as your favorite Zelda characters and they always have large casts and they think of interesting ways to give characters attacks... I think ALL of these characters are on the table.

Hell, even Tingle is possible as a joke character.

I am also very strongly expecting Ganondorf to be playable. Maybe it's a lot of work to unlock him, but it's gonna happen.

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
Zelda's Phantom Knight seems to give her great edge guard play:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2p-EyKKiAo

Skip to 1:36.
Did you see the Farore's Wind combo at 1:12? That was cool. Like I said before, Zelda's obviously built to be a more technical fighter, which I think is cool.

Also, I love the enthusiasm of the guy watching. When she does her lightning kick, "OOOH, that hit so hard!" It made me giggle.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Did you see the Farore's Wind combo at 1:12? That was cool. Like I said before, Zelda's obviously built to be a more technical fighter, which I think is cool.

Also, I love the enthusiasm of the guy watching. When she does her lightning kick, "OOOH, that hit so hard!" It made me giggle.
I am liking how characters are getting buffed this time around. Zelda seems to be more versatile and because of this I will really find joy playing as her.

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
Never mind post #551. This move is trash atm.
Where is this coming from? We haven't seen a seasoned Zelda player in a 1v1 setting with no items really use it at all yet, so...

This move is shaping up to be the perfect recovery counter. I mean, you jump off and snap off pretty much anyone if timed correctly:

Fire Fox (a safe interruption?! finally!!!)
Peach Parasol
Spin Attack
Screw Attack (probably harder to time)

I'm wondering if low percentage knockbacks would allow a Quick Charge Down B (offstage) > double jump > Sweetspotted dair

Top Bottom