• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Phoenix Brawl 2! April 17th, Port Coquitlam, BC. WE NEED MORE SET-UPS!

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
I don't know if the date is decided yet, but for me, the 24th is a much better date. I'm planning on going to the BC monthly tourney (all 3 smash games... SMASH 64!!!!!), which is on April 3rd, and having this tourney two weeks after will be a huge hit to the wallet. The 24th is a three week difference, so that would be better for me (and most out-of-towners as well I'm guessing).

I'm also planning on going to the BC plays melee tourney (no brawl) on May 15th/16th, but that's much later.

So all that said, one vote for the tourney being on the 24th.

On a side note, I'm planning on not using GaW at all at the next mainland tourney. I use other characters beside him, but... well, once I start using him, I can't stop. So next tourney, no GaW :p (at least for the moment lol :p)

And I'll mm people in mario kart wii :)

Asa

Smash Hero
jake make a poll so we can vote

but if you don't i'm for the 17th

and ben mario kart wii sux

bundtcake

Smash Ace
@Blue Yoshi: There isn't gonna be any Brawl at that tourney, so it's just Melee and 64 (and last time 64 didn't happen, but that was mostly because you didn't come iirc)

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
MMing in Mario Kart Wii is roughly equivalent to MMing a coin toss. Whoever eats the most blue shells loses.

I would make a poll, but I don't know how. Also, polls make it so people don't have to post, so I won't hear as many people's reasonings as I'd like (which is all of them...!) This is looking to be a difficult decision either way though... ;-;

:005:

Clouderz

Smash Ace
COOKIESSS
60/30/10
YAYYYY

this is gonna be hype, i expect A BIGGER TURNOUT THAN THE LAST PHEONIX

LETS GET SOME OOS/OOP IN DIS ****TTTT

MONEY MATCH???

Clouderz

Smash Ace
I'll be in Japan all of April. BE JEALOUS!

LUCKYYYY
i wish i could go to japan
im taking japanese 9 & 10 XD so ill be prepared WHEN THE JAPANESE TAKE OVER THE WORLD

*evil laugh*
but no srsly japanese *****

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
@Blue Yoshi: There isn't gonna be any Brawl at that tourney, so it's just Melee and 64 (and last time 64 didn't happen, but that was mostly because you didn't come iirc)
Now you're simply encouraging me to go to that one because if I go, there will be 64.

I probably have only enough money to join one of the two tourneys... so... hmm... how to decide?

How about this: If you can confirm a 64 event at this tourney, I'll confirm here, and will say brawl > melee. Otherwise, I'll go to the other tourney, and say melee > brawl. (lol jk :p)

But in seriousness... I probably will only go to one for financial reasons, and if there is a 64 event here, then I'll come to this one 90% guaranteed (only thing preventing me would be a job...). Otherwise, I'll have to decide later.

Also, anyone for a 64 money match? I have played smash 64 only once in the last two (three?) months, so I'll be very rusty :p

Also, if I come to this one, I won't use GaW at all... at least for the start... (I'll say I have to use 9 characters before I can use GaW in the tourney, pools included, random being a character... though only once :p). Anyone confused yet? :p

Also, I will only come if I get the #9 spot on the attendance list (for 9 reasons lol :p)

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
As I mentioned in the OP, there will be 64 if there are enough set-ups. So far, we're looking at potentially 9 TVs if Eric brings his (^.^), which is good if there are as many people as last time. However, if attendance grows, we'll need more set-ups (and more 64 players) to justify holding a side-event.

However, I can say it will be very, very likely that we'll have room to have an N64 set-up for friendlies during doubles, and later on in the singles bracket as well. We'll need all the TVs we can get for pools and early in the singles bracket, but aside from that, there should be room for 64. Of course, I expect that it won't interfere with tournament matches, but that shouldn't be a problem, should it? =P

Also, nobody's said a thing about housing yet. D= It will definitely help our chances of attracting OoP players if we can guarantee housing...!

Speaking of OoP... it seems like Alberta's transportation is unlikely to want to come down for this. So, probably no Superboom & gang this time. Sorry, Clouderz. D= However, I'm going to post this on AiB once I decide on a date, and hopefully that will get a bit of attention. I'm also trying to get a few more hidden smashers from around here to come out to this.

Edit: So Robert, would you be bringing a 64 set-up to this if you came?

_GrapE_

Smash Lord
OK so looks like IHT and me are gonna have to bus it up there from the island so we might need housing but maybe not, not 100% sure yet but i'll keep you guys updated

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
I would bring my 64 set-up and my brawl set-up.

As for 64 affecting the tourney... well... I'll be spending too much time playing 64. Since I'm going to win this tourney this time, the Winner's bracket will take forever, thus delaying the loser's bracket, and ultimately, Grand Finals will never happen because I'll be in the middle of a best-of-5 99-stock Falcon-only money match, meaning the Grand Finals will have to be cancelled due to the building closing before we could finish the grand finals, meaning the grand finals pot will end up being split between me and Bundtcake (Clouderz having lost to Bundtcake in Winner's and Grimice in Loser's, finishing in 4th).

Yes, this will happen, guaranteed.

But in seriousness, I'll bring my 64, my wii (including brawl/melee), anywhere between 4 and 8 64 controllers (I love free 64 controllers from Victoria smashers :p ).

And an update on my GaW-less tourney challenge: I can only use GaW if I win 10 tourney matches (pools or brackets) with 10 different characters, random being counted as one character (if I get GaW from random... lol :p).

Edit: Also, all of Vancouver Island that is going will need housing. Don't know who is going... I'll ask around later. Too lazy right now :p

EDIT: LOL at me ninja'ing Trevor...

Karupin

Smash Journeyman
I can also bring a 64 set up (i only have 1 spare controller, although rob has like 5 or 6 if i remember right).
Also i will enter the 64 tourney if it does happen.
As for my vote on the date, change it to the 17th, would suck if bundtcake couldnt be there : (
Triangle.

EDIT: LOL at rob ninja'ing me...

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
and of all ninjas... ;)

I'm also fine with the 17th... I'll just go to bc plays melee instead of the early april one.

EDIT: as for the 64 ruleset... what is that going to be? Here's the most commonly used one during 2009:

Neutrals: Hyrule and Dreamland

Counterpicks: Peach's Castle, Kongo Jungle

Counter/ban: Planet Zebes (some tourneys have this as counterpick), Saffron City (most tourneys have this as counterpick).

Ban: Mushroom Kingdom, Yoshi's Story, Sector Z (all for extremely good reason).

Dave's Stupid Rule is not in effect... meaning you can repick a stage you won on (there are too few stages to have that rule in effect).

Character/stage counterpicking is the same as brawl (loser picks stage, winner picks character, loser picks character).

Optional rules:

Pokeballs only, very high

Kirby's up-tilt is banned

1 ledge-grab rule (players are allowed to grab the ledge once. If the ledge is grabbed more than once, the player in question loses the game. If a player thinks his opponent has grabbed the ledge more than once, he must declare it when the player in question receives his prize money. If, in fact, the player in question had grabbed the ledge more than once, he must forfeit his entire winnings to the player(s) who he grabbed the ledge more than once against).

FALCON ONLY!!!!!!!!!

No combos allowed

Pikachu's jab f-tilt, u-tilt, d-tilt, f-smash, u-smash, d-smash, f-air, u-air, d-air, n-air, b-air, grab, f-throw, b-throw, b, up-b, down-b, ledge attack, get-up attack, shield, jump, run, walk, stand, getting hit, and dying are all banned. If any Pikachu player does any of the following actions, they are immediately disqualified from the game, and are banned from the location for 15 minutes.

Grabbing the opponent will result in a 2 minute holding penalty. Attacking the opponent will result in a 2 minute roughing penalty. Any hits to the head will result in a game misconduct.

Whenever a Falcon ditto takes place, everyone must evacuate the building in case two falcon punches collide. Although this has yet to be confirmed, this may give people enough time to escape the massive earth-eating explosion that will follow.

Ok, I think I'm done for now :p

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
As for my vote on the date, change it to the 17th, would suck if bundtcake couldnt be there : (
I'm also fine with the 17th... I'll just go to bc plays melee instead of the early april one.
Well, that makes life a bit easier for me. ^.^ The 17th looks better for me as well, so it's looking like that's most likely going to be the best date now.

Regarding the N64 rules, I really like the second ruleset.

...Seriously though, the ruleset looks good from my limited knowledge. However, doesn't Saffron City screw Ness over pretty badly because of his recovery? It seems like an okay counter-pick other than that, but Ness can't really recover there. Of course, that's not a problem unless there's a person who exclusively uses Ness, but it still worries me for some reason. :x

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
it's been discussed and argued over in the 64 boards, and the consensus majority's vote is that if someone doesn't like ness on Saffron, they can simply change characters. Saffron shouldn't be banned because one person decided he is using Ness only, and will complain about Saffron.

Plus, most high level smashers use every character anyways, so they won't have problem switching from Ness for one match (that's all it is, one match).

Some tourneys ban Saffron because of Ness being bad on it... so... it's up to the TO :p

We have been re-discussing rules and stuff, and... well, it turns out Saffron may end up banned, and Ness is not the reason... ;)

Karupin

Smash Journeyman
maybe i should bring my kirby plushies to this tourney and put them all around the tv I am playing on...it will be a 7v1 : o
Triangle.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
it's been discussed and argued over in the 64 boards, and the consensus majority's vote is that if someone doesn't like ness on Saffron, they can simply change characters. Saffron shouldn't be banned because one person decided he is using Ness only, and will complain about Saffron.

Plus, most high level smashers use every character anyways, so they won't have problem switching from Ness for one match (that's all it is, one match).

Some tourneys ban Saffron because of Ness being bad on it... so... it's up to the TO :p

We have been re-discussing rules and stuff, and... well, it turns out Saffron may end up banned, and Ness is not the reason... ;)
I figured that would be the case. I don't see a problem with it being legal, so might as well make it a CP.

What about Zebes? I know I certainly wouldn't want to play a tourney match there, but I don't play it competitively, so I don't have any first hand experience there.

Also, If I brought all my Yoshis, it would be 7-4. Perfectly winnable. :embarrass

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
Zebes is questionable... Some tourneys allow it as a counterpick, some ban (probably 50/50, maybe a few more bans). But yeah... the lava is very predictable, and the stage isn't too badly affected by the lava. For what it's worth, we might as well ban it lol :p

smash mash

Smash Apprentice
The 17th is defenetly the best date for me and eric as well..because we are going to leave to Honduras on April 30th and theres stuff to get done before that time...Asa make cookies...and DO NOT MAKE THEM PEANUT BUTTER!! if you do i WILL NOT GO TO THIS TOURNEY and smell peanuts all over the venue...i am deathly allergic to peanuts...so yea make chocolate chip...and some other type...(chocolate chip is the best cookies anyways) and Cloud i found that sensor bar..i can give it to you at the tourney...but i might forget..so post on this thread before the tourney or something...so i can bring it...that is f you care about having a sensor bar again..lol

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
Wait... that means one less mk player... lol jk :p

I also agree, no peanut butter. I don't like PB cookies much...

And I agree with boom that Zebes should be counterpick. There's many reasons why Saffron should be banned... none that I think anyone knows very well (though it's not hard to figure out).

I think at least one should be counterpick (or both), since more stage options is often better... but yeah, both are TO's choice :p

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
You heard the man, Bryan. Not a trace of nuts. :mad:

I think I might as well leave both stages as CPs then. I don't think stage exploitation will be too much of an issue here, and it should make the sets more interesting.

Dan, you need to peer pressure Brandon into driving you out here for this. Use 64 as your motivation.

SuPeRbOoM

Smash Master
maybe I'll bus? if I do, I need you to make the date finalized asap.

it says $162 roundtrip for greyhound. Will I make my money back? hahaha

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
Well, at this point, the 17th is looking to be the better date all around, so I'm going to confirm it now. Apologies to those of you who preferred the 24th; I hope you can still make it! D=

As for making your money back, you'll have to get through Clouderz first. =P
and bundtcake
Clouderz made roughly ~$130 just in singles last time, and with 14 teams for doubles, there was a decent pot size for that as well, even though it was $10 entry per team before, and could potentially rise to $20 for this one. I'm trying to get more players to this as well, which should fatten up the pot nicely. =]

corbinvenida

Smash Apprentice
confirm T-Paine.

this tourney just got a whole lot more shawtay'd

edit, i want crews and cookies.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
Regional crew tourney (~5 people per crew)? That would be interesting. VI could have it's own crew, each region of Vancouver could have it's own crew, OoP could have it's own crew (or join a different crew if not enough). Either that or one massive crew battle :p

Deap

Smash Ace
NNID
Deap92x
My crew name " Deapers"

members

•the mexican M2K(me)
•the canadian M2k(clouderz)
•the canadian Ally(Eric)
•the Honduras Dojo(vincent)

crew MM??

Asa